Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Demo won't start

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Demo won't start Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Demo won't start - 7/13/2012 7:14:30 AM   
rich12545

I've been looking at this game for a while and with the new upgrade and half off sale I decided to take a real look. But after installing the demo and double clicking the icon it thinks for about 10 seconds and stops.
My specs are P4 2.8 gig dual duo, 4 gig ram, geforce 450. Not state of the art but should be good enough.

Couple other questions.
1. Does the purchase game come with a printer friendly manual?
2. Do infantry only scenarios work pretty well?
3. I would think this game would be great for other theater mods but haven't seen any. Any particular reason?
Post #: 1
RE: Demo won't start - 7/13/2012 7:44:06 AM   
Rick

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich12545

I've been looking at this game for a while and with the new upgrade and half off sale I decided to take a real look. But after installing the demo and double clicking the icon it thinks for about 10 seconds and stops.
My specs are P4 2.8 gig dual duo, 4 gig ram, geforce 450. Not state of the art but should be good enough.

Couple other questions.
1. Does the purchase game come with a printer friendly manual?
2. Do infantry only scenarios work pretty well?
3. I would think this game would be great for other theater mods but haven't seen any. Any particular reason?

When you installed the game, did you allow both the .Net and the DirectX to install? If I recal, it will install the .Net first and at least in some cases it will prompt for repair the .Net. Also, after installing .NET, windows will suggest you reboot. If you reboot at that point, the DirectX won't install. So make sure you DONT reboot at that point.

I would certainly try to make sure the Demo runs before buying though. Your CPU and memory should be fine, I don't know about your graphics card, although I was able to get it to run (although very slowly) on an old laptop with integrated graphics.

There are some instructionis for printing out a DXDIAG above, and you can also check the log folder and there should be a logfile for the game that might indicate what the problem is.

The download version comes with a pdf manual and the boxed version comes with a color printed manual.

I think the game works fairly well with infantry only, though it's main focus is armored engagements. The demo has two scenarios and you may be able to judge the infantry performance from those two scenarios.

The game is hard coded for Germany vs Russia, we would like to expand to some other theatres in future games in the series.

thanks
rick

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 2
RE: Demo won't start - 7/13/2012 1:35:36 PM   
junk2drive

Yes the full game comes with the printer friendly version of the pdf manual as well as the color pdf.

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 3
RE: Demo won't start - 7/13/2012 1:39:56 PM   
Mad Russian

Actually, the game is not hard coded for much of anything. It is certainly not restricted to a national army, it's units or equipment.

Currently the game has information and graphics that support the German and Soviet armies. Any nation's armies, equipment, men or machines can be modded and added to the game. The game is an open code that allows for mods of almost any facet of the game to be added or changed.

vehicles, weapons, infantry are all created using xml files. The graphics can be added straight into the game.

So, in answer to your question of can other theaters be added the answer is yes. Any nation, any theater for any time period.

If you are asking why 'we' haven't done them, well, we've spent all our time getting you what you see in the game now. That was a tremendous undertaking. We went from working on a small patch for PCK, to an entirely new game in PCO. As to why other gamers haven't added more content you'll have to ask them that.

I hope you'll enjoy what we have given you. At the moment you have the ability to fight about 80% of the combats that took place on the Eastern Front. I know that there are gamers that want not only the full 100% but even beyond that...but..."WHAT IF".... Yes, and we know where you guys live too...we have a list with your name on it.

Realistically, there is only so much we can do, even working on the game 24/7. Which we don't do because several of us have day jobs. This is mostly a labor of love for us just like it is for you.

PCO literally is a wargame that was created by gamers for gamers. I think it shows.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 7/13/2012 1:41:53 PM >

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 4
RE: Demo won't start - 7/13/2012 2:58:22 PM   
Mobius

quote:

Well, you asked the right day. I just uploaded a mod to play a scenario on the Western Front, from Operation Bluecoat. I have made new xmls for vehicles and weapons not in the game. Of course I don't have the actual British models to use but substituted Soviet models for British ones.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 5
RE: Demo won't start - 7/13/2012 4:37:53 PM   
rich12545

Ok, I looked at the log and there was a bunch of stuff about DirectX so I uninstalled and reinstalled and the game now works fine. Apparently I rebooted too early. Maybe eliminating that window to reboot and putting it after the DX install would be a good idea.

MR, I wasn't suggesting you or the devs should have included all theaters. The game has been out for quite a while and I thought that by now modders would be active and there would be entire conversions to different areas. Maybe it's just too difficult. In any case there's a lot of gameplay here including the random generator of which I'm definitely a fan so I'll give it a try. I've also been looking at CM Normandy and will likely get one or the other within a month. Ostfront has the advantage of costing much less.

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 6
RE: Demo won't start - 7/13/2012 4:58:30 PM   
Rick

quote:

Ok, I looked at the log and there was a bunch of stuff about DirectX so I uninstalled and reinstalled and the game now works fine. Apparently I rebooted too early. Maybe eliminating that window to reboot and putting it after the DX install would be a good idea.

MR, I wasn't suggesting you or the devs should have included all theaters. The game has been out for quite a while and I thought that by now modders would be active and there would be entire conversions to different areas. Maybe it's just too difficult. In any case there's a lot of gameplay here including the random generator of which I'm definitely a fan so I'll give it a try. I've also been looking at CM Normandy and will likely get one or the other within a month. Ostfront has the advantage of costing much less.

I'm glad you got it running. And I agree that reboot window can be a bit troublesome. But that window is generated by the MicroSoft Windows .NET installer after the .Net is updated and I dont think there is any way for the game installer to change it.

I think the PCO sale is running for a month, so you have some time to spend with the Demos from both of the games you mentioned.

Thanks
rick

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 7
RE: Demo won't start - 7/13/2012 11:31:41 PM   
rich12545

Couple more questions.

1. Every time I start the game I get the config page and have to change the res. Is there some way for it to remember what I set and then not see it again unless I choose to?

2. What are the parameters for the random scenario (the manual skips this and I can't get to look in the demo)? Specifically....
Does the game make a random map or choose from a list of maps? If random, can I choose parameters for the map?
Can I choose the type of game? Attack, defend or meeting engagement?
Can I choose the force structure? All armor, all infantry or mix?

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 8
RE: Demo won't start - 7/14/2012 1:48:09 AM   
Rick

quote:

Couple more questions.

1. Every time I start the game I get the config page and have to change the res. Is there some way for it to remember what I set and then not see it again unless I choose to?

2. What are the parameters for the random scenario (the manual skips this and I can't get to look in the demo)? Specifically....
Does the game make a random map or choose from a list of maps? If random, can I choose parameters for the map?
Can I choose the type of game? Attack, defend or meeting engagement?
Can I choose the force structure? All armor, all infantry or mix?

I just uninstalled the Demo, so I can't check it for the config question, but on my system, the configuration is saved after the first time you set it. You can access it from the menu, but otherwise it uses what you first set. (after an update it may need to be set again though).

For Random scenarios you can let the Generator select from a list of maps, or you can select a map to be used. You can not generate a random map, although you can create maps and add them to the list.

Yes you can choose either side to attack, defend, meeting or with some options as well.

There is a lot of flexibility in setting the force structure. See the sliders in the screen below, and you can also use a set of prepared "presets" and you can create your own Preset.

I'm attaching screenshot of the Random Battle Generator. there is also a Random Campaign Generator that will generate Random Campaigns.

Thanks
Rick

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 9
RE: Demo won't start - 7/14/2012 2:44:09 AM   
rich12545

I tried both games for a while. While CM is very good, I found I like Panzer Command more and went ahead and bought it. After installing the game and patch the config works fine. I like the way the random battles work but think random maps would be a very good addition maybe sometime in the future. In the meantime there are a lot of maps. Do you know of a fairly good size map of an all urban city? And thanks very much for your help answering all my questions.

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 10
RE: Demo won't start - 7/14/2012 2:57:23 AM   
junk2drive

Make sure you check the Hotkeys sticky for the correct list of hotkeys.

I don't think there are any truly city maps. The mount and unmount routine makes for not fluid gameplay compared to crossing fields and woods.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 11
RE: Demo won't start - 7/14/2012 4:12:03 AM   
Rick

quote:

I tried both games for a while. While CM is very good, I found I like Panzer Command more and went ahead and bought it. After installing the game and patch the config works fine. I like the way the random battles work but think random maps would be a very good addition maybe sometime in the future. In the meantime there are a lot of maps. Do you know of a fairly good size map of an all urban city? And thanks very much for your help answering all my questions.

Glad to help and I hope you enjoy the game.

And as junk2drive said, I dont think we have a large map that is all urban. You can check out the Stalingradno map, but it's actually smaller rather than larger.

Several maps have villages or towns on part of the map. You might check out Niemirow, Kobrin, or Wilkowishken. Actually there are quiet a few with villages. You should be able to get and idea of the map layout by selecting it in the drop down list and seeing the map bmp in the window.

Thanks
rick

Thanks
rick

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 12
RE: Demo won't start - 7/14/2012 4:56:58 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

I know. I didn't take it that you thought we should provide it all. But if you give us enough time think about what we can give you. I mean look what we did in 3 years.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 13
RE: Demo won't start - 7/14/2012 4:59:33 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

Most of the urban maps are smaller. It's hard to fight in a city. As the original participants found out on their own. To my knowledge the bigger urban maps are those of Mobius' design. Look for his finger prints.....

I did a map of a village that I think Rick added as a random map. That was killer terrain, literally, when Rick and I played on it.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 7/14/2012 5:00:53 AM >

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 14
RE: Demo won't start - 7/14/2012 5:06:00 AM   
rich12545

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Make sure you check the Hotkeys sticky for the correct list of hotkeys.

I don't think there are any truly city maps. The mount and unmount routine makes for not fluid gameplay compared to crossing fields and woods.

Thanks for the hotkeys (and manual) tip. For some reason this game reminds me of the original Combat Mission but much better.

I would use urban maps for primarily unmounted infantry battles and believe they would be interesting. MR, I'll take a look for those by Mobius.

< Message edited by rich12545 -- 7/14/2012 5:07:47 AM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 15
RE: Demo won't start - 7/14/2012 4:50:05 PM   
Mobius

quote:

In the meantime there are a lot of maps. Do you know of a fairly good size map of an all urban city?

The only all urban map is the Stalingrad map. It is centered on the main railroad station. It is small only 500x500. Used by scenarios 13th Crossing guard and the Railway station.
Another mostly urban map is the Niemirow map. It is centered on a town. It is 1000x1000.

To make an automatic 3D mapmaker would take a lot of development. I'm not sure would pay its way in the end.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 16
RE: Demo won't start - 7/14/2012 7:46:21 PM   
rich12545

Ok, thanks. Of course mostly I'll be playing on more open terrain but I'll see how I like infantry battles in urban with this game. If I do, maybe I'll try the scenario editor and make a few.

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 17
RE: Demo won't start - 7/14/2012 8:16:42 PM   
Mobius

It's been over a year since these youtubes were made. They may be of some help in showing urban infantry tactics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bmwRU7x1PU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rskPrgvl04I

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 18
RE: Demo won't start - 7/15/2012 4:35:51 AM   
rich12545

Nice videos and I see there are more. I used to play CMBO and CMAK. Looks like this game is very similar including the infantry. I say that in a positive way. But this game is much better. It does need a random map generator though and I don't think it would take that much for the devs to make one. Heck, a guy made one as a mod for Battle Academy so it can't be that hard if you know coding and stuff. Anyway, at least there are plenty of maps. I like playing small to medium meeting random type engagements with mostly infantry so I think this will work out great.

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 19
RE: Demo won't start - 7/15/2012 5:21:44 AM   
Mad Russian

Oh, are maps in Battle Academy made from Google Earth? That makes two games that use that system then.

Making truly random maps for this program is the hardest issue we came up against. That's why there are none. That feature is tremendously tough using the map editor/generator this game comes with.

The maps in PCO, for the most part, are actual locations with actual elevations and terrain. These are not the tile based maps of some game systems.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 7/15/2012 5:46:48 AM >

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 20
RE: Demo won't start - 7/15/2012 9:57:09 PM   
rich12545

Ok, I can understand why there's no random map generator. Maybe you guys will make a bunch of maps with different sizes and types, like 50 or so for the random scenario/campaign generator, and sell them to us as a DLC?

And a few questions after playing about half the tutorial.

1. How do I find more unit details?

2. Can the beep sound, by itself, be reduced in volume or turned off?

3. Can the scroll when moving the cursor to the side/top/bottom be turned off?

4. Will you be adding a hotkey remap ability in a future patch?

5. This game is a lot like the old CM. That series had more orders for infantry like hide and crawl and others that I've forgotten. Are you planning on adding something like this in the future to have more playability with infantry? Or maybe current orders already give it and I just don't understand it yet?

I'm liking the game quite a bit. By coincidence, a few months ago I thought about getting back into playing CMAK because I've always liked it but somehow quit playing a few years ago. I think Ostfront is a much better game. And you guys are giving excellent service with it. I don't think I've ever seen a dev include the content from previous games with a current one at no extra charge.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 21
RE: Demo won't start - 7/15/2012 10:07:48 PM   
junk2drive

1. Select a unit then use the gear icon in the lower UI or press the S key.

2. Sound volume and camera speed settings are in the Options screen from the main in game menu.

3. No

4. I doubt it.

5. This game is intended to be played from a platoon level of command, and more like a game than a sim. Some of the control and animation of CMx1 is not in this game. You hope that your troops hide and crawl when necessary.

Glad you like it. The hard part for some people is getting CM out of their head while playing this. They are different.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 22
RE: Demo won't start - 7/15/2012 11:02:39 PM   
rich12545

Junk, thanks for the info.

1. Ah, somehow I missed those four icons. Must be getting old.

2. Those are general controls. Is there an individual one for the click somewhere or maybe I can take out the correct sound file?

5. Ok.

Yeah, platoon level but with the ability to move squads individually. Kinda like TA that moves squads with the ability to move individual soldiers separately. I get it now. It is different but with a similar gui to CMAK it seems. Not quite as tactical. Almost with an operational feel. That's fine.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 23
RE: Demo won't start - 7/15/2012 11:17:13 PM   
junk2drive

Do you or are you going to use JSGME for swapping mods?

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 24
RE: Demo won't start - 7/15/2012 11:50:42 PM   
rich12545

Uh, I hadn't really thought about mods for this game yet. I've never used JSGME. What do you recommend?

And another question, other than the number of orders available, is there an easy way to tell if I'm in the orders or reaction phase? They can kind of blend and it seems easy to lose track.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 25
RE: Demo won't start - 7/15/2012 11:57:40 PM   
junk2drive

When you start the battle, the UI shows Setup:0 then Orders T:1 then Reaction T:1 and so on...

In the Mods forum is a sticky on JSGME and how to use it. I placed a mod in the Mods forum for you for a muted click sound and also the flag flutter sound.

Next to grab would be the transparent UI mod. I also like my HUD buttons mod.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 26
RE: Demo won't start - 7/16/2012 12:20:55 AM   
rich12545

Very cool. Got them.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 27
RE: Demo won't start - 7/16/2012 12:33:16 AM   
rich12545

Couldn't find your HUD buttons mod though.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 28
RE: Demo won't start - 7/16/2012 12:34:56 AM   
junk2drive

Change the view posts from 365 days to All Topics in the dropdown.

I'll find it and bump it up for you.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 29
RE: Demo won't start - 7/16/2012 12:57:26 AM   
rich12545

Thanks. I'll get those mods all setup tomorrow.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Demo won't start Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI