Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/10/2012 10:26:29 AM   
janh

I'd grab the Leningrad port Osinovets next, with massive pioneer and 210mm support. Next turn all Soviets will be suffering isolation rules and be reduced to skeletons already. Bully your way thru to the NE Leningrad city hex so the Finns can get into action as well, and have them carry some of the load. They are excellent infantry, but their replacement rate is low (there are spare units you can disband to get them manpower later).

I think you already should have bullied your way to that hex earlier, basically after your brilliant raid that ruined the Soviet fort levels in that direction. With 0 level forts it might have been easier than getting to Osinovets now.

Long term you could plan to grab Tshikvin a little further East, but I wouldn't continue much more. The woods and swamps up there are poor terrain, and there is little of strategic value up there. The Murmansk railroad (and hence Lend and Lease) is not there to be cut, nor anything else worth the infantry casualties you will take in this terrain. Even thought the Finns would add nicely to 16th and 18th Army and allow you to push, I would only develop a buffer layer (there are some hills E of Nowgorod and Volkhov) and intrench there as well as behind the Volkhov. When Leningrad is sacked, you can even consider abandoning the area east of Lake Ladoga and pull the Finns to the map-boarder north (bottleneck). That leaves more forces to help digging south of Leningrad.

(in reply to Scar23)
Post #: 61
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/14/2012 7:26:42 AM   
Scar23

Turn 15
This was a completely wasted turn. The Russians were able to push back a motorized division around the Orel pocket, again allowing supplies to flow in, and keeping my panzers stuck holding the north edge. The only good news, Leningrad has fallen, and it’s just mopping up time now.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 62
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/14/2012 7:27:23 AM   
Scar23

Turn 16

AGN
Mopping up around Leningrad was completed this turn, and Finnish Kannas army is moving through the city to take up positions along the Volkhov River. I hope to free 16 Army in the next turn or two for a much needed rest. 18 Army moved to open rail lines following its actions around Leningrad, and will entrain for AGC sector next turn. XXXXI PzK and XXXX PzK are in position just north of Smolensk, while the remainder of 4 Pz Army travels via train to their location.

AGC and AGS
The Orel pocket was finally reduced, freeing up the panzers for the next strike. Unfortunately, as I am running out of time, I had thought to head straight toward Moscow from the current positions around Orel. But the Russians have gained two turns before the Orel pocket could be reduced, so I elected to push further east before trying a swing north (if even possible). In addition, the Russians do not seem to be thinning the carpet of troops they have from east of Smolensk to Bryansk.

With Pz Group 1 attacking from the south, and Pz Groups 2 and 3 from the west, another large pocket of Russian troops were isolated. By my count it could be upward of 20 divisions.

AGA
The single mountain corps sent south the assist the Rumanians does not seem to have been enough to breach the defenses into the Crimean. I will have to decide if a Pz korps needs to rail in for a winter attack, as I hate to have Russian troops boiling out during the Winter offensive.

(in reply to Scar23)
Post #: 63
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/14/2012 7:30:50 AM   
Scar23

AGC and AGS

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Scar23 -- 8/14/2012 7:32:20 AM >

(in reply to Scar23)
Post #: 64
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/15/2012 8:02:47 AM   
Scar23

Turn 17

AGN
The Finnish army has started to arrive and take up positions held by 16 Army. 18 Army is completely off the line now and waiting to entrain. 4 Pz Group has completed its journey and is now resting and refitting east of Smolensk.

AGC
2 and 3 Pz Groups are taking up positions to the north of Orel in preparation for an attack towards Tula as 6 Army replaces them along the front east of Orel.

AGS
I had hoped to move most of Pz Group 1 to the north east of Kharkov, but the Russians were able to open a corridor in to the Voronezh pocket, which required III and XXXXVIII PzK to hold the east portion of the pocket. XIV PzK was able to relocate, and is now resting and refitting.

(in reply to Scar23)
Post #: 65
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/15/2012 8:03:17 AM   
Scar23

Losses

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Scar23)
Post #: 66
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/15/2012 8:04:11 AM   
Scar23

Plans for Winter Offensive

As it appears I have virtually no chance of taking Moscow following the muddy season, I have decided that the big winter offensive will be in two parts. AGC will make three separate panzer thrusts toward Moscow, with the idea to try and pocket as many Russians troops as possible, and at the same time, draw the Soviets attention to Moscow.
AGS will strike southeast towards Rostov. While to do not believe they can make it, I want the Russians to pull back from the Dnepr line. As it is, my lines are much too long, and will be too vulnerable come the Russian blizzard offensives.
I will then transition over to defense, and weather the winter.

(in reply to Scar23)
Post #: 67
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/15/2012 8:12:06 AM   
Scar23

AGC Winter

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Scar23)
Post #: 68
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/15/2012 8:12:43 AM   
Scar23

AGS Plans for Winter

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Scar23)
Post #: 69
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/15/2012 10:46:08 AM   
janh

Scar, you really had some bad luck with your summer offensive. Next time you will surely do things differently already. Luck with the dice was probably also not exactly on your side so far. Some of the pockets having been reopened by your opponent were a real surprise to me, to be honest. Initially he pushed regiments around, which is hard enough for the Russian side in 41, but after you quit the habit of splitting divs he had pure luck to be able to push the Mot Div out of his way.

However, I hope you are already digging forts for blizzard. I fear he can mount one of the heavier blizzard offensives this time, and I would probably choose a slow withdrawal strategy in south and probably even center. North and center you should already be digging hard and picking some of your better divs for large city garrisoning ("moral upkeep") and perhaps even send a few divisions back to Poland for "rest & refit" until February (though probably not many, no entire panzer armies, to avoid abuse). Also think of putting Panzers and Mech to garrison duty rather than to use them in the defense. If at all, then by "reserve mode" from city hexes. Else, attrition and morale loss will render them a skeleton of their former self by spring, taking at least until June to recover somewhat (and for the 85+ ones never to their former levels).

The idea with the three pronged offensive seems sound, and may lead to some gains. Terrain that may be surrendered during the December turns to avoid direct combat. After that...

(in reply to Scar23)
Post #: 70
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/15/2012 6:24:52 PM   
Scar23

Hey Janh, thanks for the advice! I have had a bad run of luck on my pockets, add in a lack of experiance with the Germans, and the two mud turns and it has been a hard begining. I do have some questions and worries for the upcoming blizzard.

First, most of my divisions have been digging for a while, and are in level 2+ forts now. However, they are spaced out, with a division every other hex. Am I supposed to face the blizzard with gaps in the lines, or break down the divisions?

Secondly, It appears to me I have to shorten the frontage in the south. Otherwise my guys will be too spread out down south, with the Rumanians holding large portions just north of the Sea of Azov. If I can grab a pocket or two more in the center during the winter, and force a pull back down south, I could leave most of the divisions where they are, and just screen the new territory gained. Once the blizzard offensive starts, just slowly withdraw back to the positions I am now, that would be more of a try and hold line. Then give ground grudingly.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 71
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/25/2012 9:23:20 PM   
Scar23

Turn 18
Mud hits and slows everything down to a crawl. I resealed the breach in the Vorz. Pocket, and railed some reinforcements forward, but otherwise, all was quiet.

Turn 19
More mud and the Soviets knock back another motorized division and open up the pocket. Some lucky attacks, as the mud usually make attacking pointless.

18 Army has entrained and is heading toward Smolensk. I am not sure where they will be the most help, but my assumption is in the south.

Turn 20
The mud has restricted my supply lines to the point that many of the units holding the eastern portion of the Vorz. pocket are isolated each turn, making them easy targets for Russian attacks. I have flown in as much air resupply as I could in the hopes of holding the pocket this next turn. Otherwise, everything is holding in place waiting on the ground to freeze. 18 Army reached the end of the rail line, and will now have to march the rest of the way to the front.

Turn 21
The poor weather continues as it’s still muddy across most of the front, except for the Crimea sector. XXXX PzK launches its attack into the Crimea and takes the two initial Russian positions, but is unable to break into the Russian rear areas. 49 Mnt Korps has moved south in support as well as two Rumanian corps. Also of note, the 4 strength motorized division is a reconstituted division from the one that was destroyed in the AGN sector before the fall of Leningrad.

Finally, the Russians are not able to break into the Voronezh pocket this turn, so most of the pocket is reduced even with the poor going. Looks like 13 odd divisions/brigades so far with three left to go.

(in reply to Scar23)
Post #: 72
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/25/2012 9:24:34 PM   
Scar23

XXXX PzK attack

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Scar23)
Post #: 73
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/25/2012 11:04:29 PM   
Seminole

quote:

Am I supposed to face the blizzard with gaps in the lines, or break down the divisions?

I can't speak from exp on the German side of this, but as the Soviet I would be happy to see gaps in the line because it would enable me to ZOC lock the German and surround him the following turn for capture.
Rgts are juicy targets too. I try to hit everyone of those in reach. Against a Soviet stack it is practically a guaranteed win.

In Dec. the German firepower is just decimated. It gets a little better in Jan. and much better in Feb. (by which time the Soviets are probably facing supply issues)

I'd like to see more from German AARs about how they handle blizzard, but it seems to get glossed over...

(in reply to Scar23)
Post #: 74
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/26/2012 12:00:00 AM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seminole

quote:

Am I supposed to face the blizzard with gaps in the lines, or break down the divisions?

I can't speak from exp on the German side of this, but as the Soviet I would be happy to see gaps in the line because it would enable me to ZOC lock the German and surround him the following turn for capture.
Rgts are juicy targets too. I try to hit everyone of those in reach. Against a Soviet stack it is practically a guaranteed win.

In Dec. the German firepower is just decimated. It gets a little better in Jan. and much better in Feb. (by which time the Soviets are probably facing supply issues)

I'd like to see more from German AARs about how they handle blizzard, but it seems to get glossed over...

Not glossed over its old news really.

1. Tula north generally you can hold the line for a few turns using reserve mode and forts in good terrain, but by January you need to retreat 1 hex a turn. I will retreat 2 some times as by 42 SHC leave litte north of Moscow and it can be easly pushed back using 3 pz divisions and some regiments.

2. Tula south retreat 2 hexes a turn, in February you can stop as supplies an SHC units will be depleted.

3. Crimea I use the 2 German MT divisions to hold the west and center bridges. The east one hold with the Hun MT and 2 german divisions.

4. Near Stalino I build forts to sea and 6 hexes north. Stack up pz units in the city and retreat one hex or less a turn. build the FZ asap. I screw up myself some times not building them asap.

5. Winter your 9 highest morale infantry divisions and 12 panzer divisions. Generally in the south. At some point in late january or early February you can house as many units as possible.

6. Winter as much of the LW as possible.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afmyypGyfng&list=PLrY4H4gWWBircAjo

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 75
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/26/2012 12:16:32 AM   
Seminole

quote:

Not glossed over its old news really.

Funny, I don't remember seeing much of the TDV winter offensive in your AAR...

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 76
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/26/2012 1:59:14 AM   
Pelton

quote:

Not sure what TDV as SHC has to do with your question about GHC?

I am not the only one who handles GHC blizzard this way.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 77
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/26/2012 2:59:17 AM   
Seminole

quote:

quote:

Not sure what TDV as SHC has to do with your question about GHC?
I am not the only one who handles GHC blizzard this way.

U.S. Army training circular 25-20:
After-action reviews (AARs) help provide soldiers and units feedback on mission and task performances in training and in combat. After-action reviews identify how to correct deficiencies, sustain strengths, and focus on performance of specific mission essential tasks list (METL) training objectives.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

...TVD is by far the best Russian I have faced during winter, his use of units to pinch off units is very good far better then anyone else I have faced to date. Not the normal pound the line tactics.
The picture below is winter lines, by far the best winter lines I have ever had and still TVD is kicking my ass.
And no I am not telling you what hes doing hehehehe.

To my mind the AAR exists to learn what works and at least as importantly what doesn't. Not simply to show what you did well.

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 78
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/26/2012 11:33:28 AM   
janh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scar23
First, most of my divisions have been digging for a while, and are in level 2+ forts now. However, they are spaced out, with a division every other hex. Am I supposed to face the blizzard with gaps in the lines, or break down the divisions?

Secondly, It appears to me I have to shorten the frontage in the south. Otherwise my guys will be too spread out down south, with the Rumanians holding large portions just north of the Sea of Azov. If I can grab a pocket or two more in the center during the winter, and force a pull back down south, I could leave most of the divisions where they are, and just screen the new territory gained. Once the blizzard offensive starts, just slowly withdraw back to the positions I am now, that would be more of a try and hold line. Then give ground grudingly.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry Scar, I totally missed your post. Pelton's advice covers it well. I wouldn't use regiments again before March, they will really be toothless in December to January. Your CVs will still be far from what you are now used to and will only slowly get better by February and March. Worst of all is the morale hit on all units outside level 4 cities or level 3 forts (or was it 4?).

In smaller cities you'll have dice rolls that can help to save your units a little pain, but outside in the open terrain you'll quickly accumulate damaged squads and you'll see the morale tumble. Best it to have large cities behind your lines (see Stalino, Kursk, Kharkov etc) manned with Panzers, Mot or the >75-80 morale infantry divisions, on reserve mode, while the majority of the front could be covered with <75-80 morale infantry and minors. Since national morale is 70, those of the infantry divisions that will get a blizzard battering and drop perhaps to something like 60 morale, can recover rather quickly to 70 in spring. With a spring offensive in March-April meant to correct the lines and recover some lost terrain, you can add those weakened divisions then to the attacks and have them clean up the small pockets created, which can get them back to 75 morale and, hence, better movement.

As Pelton said, put the rest of the high-morale German infantry in winter quarters to send them for refit and reorganization back to German until say late February. Then you'll need them as the hammer for the spring offensive before rasputiza. You could do so with as many Panzer and Mot divisions you can spare as well, especially those with 90+ morale, although I don't know whether you have some house rule regarding excessive blizzard withdrawals to Germany. It certainly was something the Germans were historically far from doing, aside from probably unable to have done. In December and January your CVs will be extremely weak, and your Panzers and Mots are anyways not ideal defensive formations. They can help in reserve mode, at best, but I wouldn't put them in the frontline to hold anything except major city hexes.

One annoying thing with this game is that for each lost battle, you'll likely loose plenty of morale: 3 pts. This will create a bad spiral in winter. So even if you occasionally spot a possibility to counterattack in blizzard and want to use your Panzers, it is wise to think twice since the weather and blizzard rules will often prevent a successful counterattack and you'll loose morale for that as well. It is just not worth counterattacking with these penalties. Ideally, morale loss and gain would be rarer in this game, because I feel it has too much effect -- particularly on infantry mobility.

Q-Ball (at least I think he was the first one) used stacks of 3 units, separated by 1 hex, to give the Germans a bit better chances to hold Soviet attacks off. He retreated them 1 or 2 hexes a turn to always keep a buffer layer of 1-2 hexes the Soviet must flip first, which prevented them from "deliberate attacks". That may be an option, but requires to keep pretty much all units at the front. Anyway, the key to blizzard in this game is retreating slowly and steadily at least until February, especially for AGC and AGS.

Also put the German and Romanian Mountain divisions/brigades to best use, they'll not be penalized. The German Mountain divisions are very powerful in attacking during blizzard and sometimes can be the only chance to save some cut-off units that couldn't retreat fast enough. The Soviets will definitely curse them. It may be a good strategy to keep them as "fire-brigades" somewhere well placed, maybe near rail lines.

Ah, and finally, yes - the Luftwaffe is not of much value during blizzard. Your fighters can put a dent in the Soviet air attacks, but for the rest of the air bases it is time walk West. The HQs, both Luftwaffe and Wehrmacht, pack a lot of squads and can accumulate large manpower losses, so they also should go to cities if possible.

< Message edited by janh -- 8/26/2012 11:39:50 AM >

(in reply to Scar23)
Post #: 79
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/29/2012 4:01:24 AM   
Scar23

Thanks for the tips guys. I am not sure there are enough cities to house everything, but I will try and get as much there as possible. I am really worried about how thin my lines are, especially in the south, with the Rumanians holding large stretches... It will be a tough blizzard I guess.

Also, I have gotten two blizzards in a row in the east Soviet weather zone during the winter turns, which is killing my MPs, so the winter offensive is struggling to get off the ground.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 80
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/29/2012 4:01:52 AM   
Scar23

Turn 22
More bad news with the weather as a blizzard hits the eastern most units all along the front and mud in the Crimea. This couldn’t come at a worse time, as the Crimea operation is slowed to a crawl, thus allowing the Russians plenty of time to withdraw and the blizzard costs me a turn in the center.
As the Russians began a pullback south of Kharkov, I went ahead and launched the 1 Pz Group attack prematurely, with only one panzer korps ready to participate. But, the objective to shorten the lines, and and hopefully have a turn or two to prepare before the Russians can launch their winter offensive, so I need to hurry the Russians along.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Scar23 -- 8/29/2012 4:02:10 AM >

(in reply to Scar23)
Post #: 81
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 8/31/2012 3:33:32 AM   
Scar23

Turn 23
Around Leningrad all is quiet. The Russians pulled off the line and back east about 40-50km, but I suspect that’s just to lure my guys out of their prepared positions. AGN will stay put through the winter and dig in as deep as possible.

The blizzard continues in the Soviet eastern weather zone, which is eating up my MPs to the point where attacking from AGC in the hopes of getting an encirclement of any sizable Russian group is out of the question. I ended up wasting two buildups; I hope the units retain some of the supplies for next turn. So AGC repositions a 3 Pz Group and waits for better weather.

To the south, 1 Pz Group continues its attack. Although with much reduced movement due to the weather and isolates 5-6 Soviet divisions. The Russians seem to be delaying rather than truly running, so I may be able to isolated another larger force if the Soviets continue to try and tar baby 1 Pz Grp. As in the north, the Russian pull back will cost me many prepared positions, but I needed the shortened lines. Further, I will be happy to trade space for time in the south once the Russian blizzard offensive begins.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Scar23)
Post #: 82
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 9/1/2012 11:18:12 AM   
janh

I think you are right you need to shorten your lines down south. I did do this coupled with a 2 hex/turn retreat starting the first December turn.

You might want to be careful with your Panzergruppe on the Crimea. I had it once that with the first true blizzard turn, all supply was cut and I had Panzers sticking their head out suddenly being in the red. And left with to little MP to retreat to safety while being overtaken by Soviet Cavalry. A bad experience. I'll never get overextended and charge right into blizzard like the Germans did back then at Moscow.

(in reply to Scar23)
Post #: 83
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 9/6/2012 4:14:37 PM   
Pelton

The old strategy of 2x or 3x of german units in a stack retreating 1 or 2 hexes a turn is a very horrible idea now that many SHC players now how to use and exploit cav. They will simply get surrounded in a single turn or 2 at best if you counter attack and win. By January the GHC will be missing 20+ divisions and the snowball effect of the screwed up replasement rule set will make sure that German CV's remain at or lower then December's levels until March because front line units will receive next to nothing in replasements. Which in turn will mean GHC forses will lose divisions in January an February.

Right now the Blizzard effects are way way over powered and totally unhistorical. There is no way SHC forses should be able to easly destory 20+ german divisions and drive back lines 150 to 200 miles. Thats just totally unrealistic and totally unhistorical.

2by3 finally fixed German logistics making for a much more historical 1941, now they really need to fix the complete joke of a 1941 blizzard. Which can be done by simply leaving ZOC at summer levels and nerfing the joke of the cav movement.

The old questions of do cav units have equipment or not?

The standard answer should not be yes and no as in past threads.

Cav units are completely and magiclly over powered during blizzard.

The flying Pig exploit was nerfed long ago. Its now high time to nerf the Flying horse( or is it lt tanks?) exploit.

Its a joke and we all know it.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 9/6/2012 4:22:01 PM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 84
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 9/6/2012 5:04:19 PM   
Seminole

quote:

nerfing the joke of the cav movement

Why is the ability for a cavalry unit to move 10 miles a day a 'joke'?

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 85
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 9/6/2012 5:29:18 PM   
Klydon

As with anything, there is a lot of learning going on the first time around.

The move into the Crimea should have probably been considered a raid to rip up the rail lines down there and then withdraw. Trying to defend down there is crazy as it is well off the beaten path of the supply lines and the necks are a lot easier to defend. Romanian troops (outside of the mountain troops) are bad normally. Add lots of snow and they are really terrible and should never be exposed to Russian units who will use them as speed bags for easy moral building victories.

Good notes by others on withdrawing panzer and infantry formations. One other thing I didn't see mentioned is make sure to pull units that don't withdraw, or withdraw way later in the game. For example, saving 10 panzer division (starts the game as a elite moral unit) is nice, but it leaves for Tunisa at some point. While you don't want to "trash" the panzer formations leaving, you can use them in Russia to put in reserve and counter attack as needed while trying to keep them under cover as much as possible.

Planning for the blizzard must be in the German game plan from the start. One of the things the Germans should look to do is a short front line for that first winter. Fewer Germans in the line, the better. That means you have that many more units you can keep under cover or spending winter in Poland. An over extended line just invites disaster with a lot of units in the open under the pressure of retreat and will result in a bigger weakening of the overall German army in terms of moral and unit losses due to the blizzard.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 86
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 9/17/2012 1:31:34 AM   
Scar23

Hey Klydon:
Yes, I had thought to hold the choke point in the Crimea long enough to make it unattractive for the Russians, but I never got there, and its been bad down in the Crimea.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 87
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 9/17/2012 1:33:49 AM   
Scar23

Turn 24
All offensive operations were halted, and the Germans are preparing for the Soviet offensive and blizzard. I was able to get most of the panzer units into major cities, but did not rail any back to Germany as suggested in other parts of the forum.

Turn 25
The Russian blizzards have begun, and very little happens. I was disappointed in that the Russians are able to slip units into the gaps between my lines, and being unable to counter attack them, I am forced to leave my level three fortifications east of Smolensk. I will slowly withdraw for the time being and see where that puts things.

Turn 26
Blizzard continues, with the Russians starting to make somewhat effective attacks each turn. More concerning is the strategy of slipping Russian units between my lines, and thus causing me to leave my good entrenchments so as not to be easily cut off. I am slowly giving ground everywhere the Russians are trying to slip between my units, and so far not disasters.

Turn 27
Well I am still barely staying one step ahead of the Russians, as they continue to press forward during the blizzard. Two near catastrophes in the 11 korps sector find two infantry divisions isolated. Luckily, I was able to extract both divisions with a counter attack by panzers from 1 Pz Grp and a mountain division. Being unable to cover the entire map, the Russians are merely slipping units between my lines which are really causing me problems. I may have to start running rather than a slow retreat, as I am staying just one misstep away from disaster.

Turn 28
I am still slowly pulling back almost everywhere, just one step ahead of disaster. I did notice a bit of an increase in Soviet losses this turn, which may mean he’s hitting high fatigue or the Germans are getting adjusted to the cold.

Turn 29
More of the same, as the Germans continue a slow retreat west. I have been forced to give up large swathes of territory with little or no fight, but without fortifications, it is impossible to stand up to the Russians.
Of note the turn, the Russians have recaptured the Crimea. My late winter offensive to capture the Crimea may have surprised the Russians, but the lack of time to get the units dug in, made it virtually impossible to hold. I even left a panzer korps to help, but to no avail.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Scar23)
Post #: 88
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 9/17/2012 2:35:15 AM   
Klydon

You don't crack Sevastopal or otherwise clean out the Crimea, the Russians can lay a good hurt down there. For the most part, you almost have to either take it, or plug the choke points really well with units AND get them fortifed up or the Russians are going to be a major pain.

(in reply to Scar23)
Post #: 89
RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) - 9/17/2012 11:23:07 PM   
Pelton

Good job so far Scar. Land in 41/42 winter means very little. Its all about morale from here on out for GHC. To win its about the AP crunch or manpower crunch.

As long as you keep up the good retreat retaking the land in 42 will not be to hard.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Scar attacks the Soviet Union (Scar v IdahoNYer) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI