Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Matrix/Slitherine at gamescom trade fair in Cologne?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Matrix/Slitherine at gamescom trade fair in Cologne? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Matrix/Slitherine at gamescom trade fair in Cologne? - 7/11/2012 5:50:11 PM   
MikeGER

Got a Question:
Will Matrix Games / Slitherine participate in the GamesCom in Cologne on the 15.-19.08.2012?
http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/en/gamescom/home/index.php
there will be a public and a business area (which some user may or may not get access to anyway;-) ) so there could be two booth to visit

Do some users around here plan a visit?
Post #: 1
RE: Matrix/Slitherine at gamescom trade fair in Cologne? - 7/12/2012 4:22:40 PM   
Iain McNeil

We don't plan to have a stand but will have people there. We are focussing on events that are more aimed at the strategy gamers and wargamers so are attending events like Salute and Essen.

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software
Website http://www.slitherine.com

(in reply to MikeGER)
Post #: 2
RE: Matrix/Slitherine at gamescom trade fair in Cologne? - 7/12/2012 7:52:25 PM   
MikeGER

Thanks for the info, Iain!
...will meet Matrix/Slitherine in Essen then, like last year

(info-link about trade fair in Essen: http://www.internationalespieltage.de/e000.php4 for interested users around here)

(in reply to Iain McNeil)
Post #: 3
RE: Matrix/Slitherine at gamescom trade fair in Cologne? - 7/13/2012 8:29:11 AM   
sterckxe

Hi Mike,

We failed to meet up last year, this year we'll be in Essen from Thursday until Saturday so we might bump into each other again.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to MikeGER)
Post #: 4
RE: Matrix/Slitherine at gamescom trade fair in Cologne? - 7/13/2012 5:20:24 PM   
MikeGER

Hi Eddy
most probably on Saturday
...i hope JDM will be there also again?

See Ya!

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 5
RE: Matrix/Slitherine at gamescom trade fair in Cologne? - 7/13/2012 8:36:49 PM   
british exil

What is the reason to attend such a trade fair? I mean for the average player? Would I benefit attending it?

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to MikeGER)
Post #: 6
RE: Matrix/Slitherine at gamescom trade fair in Cologne? - 7/14/2012 8:58:34 AM   
apathetic lurker

Hmmm I should have renewed my passport a lot earlier.....Stuff like this is a reason for me to detour thru Germany...

My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 7
RE: Matrix/Slitherine at gamescom trade fair in Cologne? - 7/14/2012 9:50:51 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: british exil
What is the reason to attend such a trade fair? I mean for the average player? Would I benefit attending it?

Only if you like boardgames. My wife and me are both very much into boardgames, so we make this an annual little holiday in which we look at all the new stuff that gets released there.

To get an idea what Spiel is all about read my article about last year's fair here :

http://www.wargamer.com/article/3106/convention-coverage-spiel-2011-a-report-from-a-wargamer-at-a-gaming-convention

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

< Message edited by sterckxe -- 7/14/2012 9:51:49 AM >

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 8
RE: Matrix/Slitherine at gamescom trade fair in Cologne? - 7/14/2012 10:55:13 AM   
MikeGER

Mat,
benefits, depends on the fair in question and the difficulty / costs it takes you to attend so.
my personal experience of Cologne once and Essen many times:

Cologne is a very big event with all the big publishers... they have large booths with all kind of shows/presentations going on.
if you are willing to wait in line for an hour or two you get a chance to play a level / get a demonstration / or at least see an exclusive video with in-game-footage of mainstream games, RTS, FPS, MMOPRG, etc in the making that will get released in a few month or even a year or two... also if you like to test the latest Wii-controller gadget, guitar, motion-tracker, etc. for upcoming and existing
consoles, then its the place to go. There are also give-aways, lotteries to win,
...and professional booth-babes ;-) of course!

Essen, is a much different event, more like a convention for (mostly family style) board games.
But there is one hall that had a special atmosphere.
Here are all the LARP-player, Games workshop et al., Wargames outlets located.

benefits:
this is a real public trade fair, you can buy stuff with large discounts, find exotic old and new boardgames/PC games.
you have a 99% chance to ge a personal demonstration of upcoming (Matrix/Slitherine) games,
chat with an alpha-tester, a developer, the decision makers ...or even The Boss of a smaller-publisher.
There are not much 'hired booth babes' but a good portion of freaks of both genders dressed in handmade costumes wander around... and the non-wargaming stalls in that hall give an interesting mix also, you can test Met, check out iron or plastic swords and armors, see/buy lots of 'medieval' day to day goods, interrupted by some small company selling miniatures to paint from 'Stone-Age' to 'Cyborgs', you get the idea...

you can also do some 'social studies' and will see the real life expression of: Sheldon, Leonard, Howard and Raj ...no Penny so ;-)

...at one booth in a neighboring hall dedicated to comics was a mediocre looking bored girl on a pod hired to get a fantasy cover-all body paining. The flog of either mostly heavy over- or under-weighted nerdy guys, aggregating around that pod, all with one hand erected to get a little shaky picture with their cellulars was 'funy, surreal and frightening' all at the same time... (and a give-away of maybe 'Axe-deodorant' wouldn't have hurt that spot too) ;-)

also funny, if you see ppl 'out of role' ...People, dont dress up like an Elb, when you have the figure of an older Hobbit ...LOL

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Matrix/Slitherine at gamescom trade fair in Cologne? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI