Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.3 released 40 races

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Haree78

Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.3 released 40 races

Post by Haree78 »

Distant Worlds Extended

Recommended download:
Distant Worlds Extended 1.0.3 with Das Chrome UI 1.5b mod Blue
For the raw Distant Worlds Extended mod for those who want the original UI, flag shapes and resources please scroll down.

How to Install Mods by Das24680
Warning: not all mods will work together, mods with races will not merge together for example.

18 new races for Distant Worlds set in the Distant Worlds universe bringing the race total to 40. Each with their own unique flavour, flags, dialog text, victory conditions, strengths, weaknesses.
Each race has been balanced with countless hours of play testing, this mod does not create a new race that will dominate all your games but they do bring with them their own challenges.

Distant Worlds Extended Universe - The only version for the latest version of the game.
Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.3

Only for if you downloaded a previous version and don't want to download the full package.
Distant Worlds Extended Universe Patch from any previous version to 1.0.3

Version 3.0.4 for Distant Worlds Shadows
Added ship designs for each new race.
Added unique troop images for each new race modified from original art.
Updated mod to Shadows format.
*3.0.3 Updated design templates to latest game version
Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.4

Version 2.0.2 for Distant Worlds Legends
9 races added to a total of 16 new races with their own ship sets, dialogue, policies and biases.
Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.2

Outdated Version 1.1
For just the original 7 new races without the new style race images.
Distant Worlds Extended 1.1

Installation
This mod requires Distant World Legends patched to the latest version.
Extract the contents of this .zip file to your Distant Worlds Customization directory.
Usually:
C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Customization\
Then when you start the game select Change Theme from the main menu and select Distant Worlds Extended.

Warning
Please update to the latest version of Distant Worlds when using this mod.

Credits
Thanks to Darkspire for authoring the Galactopedia files for me.
Thanks to Kalthaniell for the use of his ship sets. Without Kal this mod would be half of what it is.
Thanks to WoodMan for the use of his ship set.
Thanks Martian for the use of his race images.
Thanks to Robocrab for the use of his ship sets.
Some ship sets used from images from the game Gratuitous Space Battles http://positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/
Other contributing artists. Please check out their great work and throw them praise.
nicko mcnicko
tjhkkr

RE: Distant Worlds Extended

Post by tjhkkr »

Race Victory Conditions
30% Exterminate or Enslave the most people in the galaxy
25% Destroy the most enemy troops in the galaxy
20% Have the most experienced General in the galaxy
15% Subjugate the most empires in the galaxy
10% Have the fewest treaties in the galaxy

Charming race of people.
Looks sharp!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
HectorOfTroy

Post by HectorOfTroy »

Will there be Cylon-like race?
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

None of the 7 extra races are robots, if there is much call for 1 I could add them in after no doubt ;)
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

So far, looks VERY NICE Haree!

{wondered what you've been up to as of late! LOL!} [:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
HectorOfTroy

Post by HectorOfTroy »

Or maybe what we need is Prometheus-movie like race that is divided to one thta create life and ones thta destroy it. Is it possible to mode story into DW Legends?
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

Excellent stuff! There is a race I have long wanted to add myself but never got around to it. I'll wait to see if you included it. Those who have read every little nook and cranny of the Galactopedia may have noticed a race not included in DW is mentioned in one article, I've always wondered what they might be like!
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Now you got me intrigued, tell me where to look! [:)]
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

[:D]

Under one of the luxury resources, not sure which one, it says the beast even feeds upon small sentient beings like Teekans and Jintus. I assume Jintu was an old name for the Ugnari but it got left in the Galactopedia under this entry by accident. Since then I've wanted to make another rodent race called the Jintu, but too lazy. Hey maybe with your permission we could add them to your mod? [:)]
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

Need more previews!

Tairoshan! Tairoshan! Tairoshan!
HectorOfTroy

Post by HectorOfTroy »

I'm thinking Tairoshan will be an intelligent race. But then again, their spacesuits looks so retro so they might be technologically backward or just cool-retro-fashionable :).
dejagore

Post by dejagore »

Thanks for Your effort on this Haree78. Can't wait to play DW with Your MOD ! [8D]

Any ETA release date ?

cheers!
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Hi guys, it will be within days, playtesting these races for balance is hard, some games they do amazingly too well and others they don't get off the ground, it really depends on starting positions so I'm forever tweaking. Also I am changing winning conditions to get them just right, the conditions I gave for the Keskudons are probably slightly going to change. I didn't notice until yesterday morning that all races have a long term win condition, which makes sense and I will be changing appropriately.

I am happy with where 4 of the 7 races are right now, just trying to get the last 3 right, I'll update the preview above to wet your appetites [;)]
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Oh, forgot to say, yes Woodman, adding races to this mod once I have released these 7 would be great.

Check the original post, back to testing.... ;)
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Haree78

Oh, forgot to say, yes Woodman, adding races to this mod once I have released these 7 would be great.

Check the original post, back to testing.... ;)

EXCELLENT WORK Haree78! [&o] {If you decide to make a artificial life form race, PLEASE just don't name its leader DATA!} [:D]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

Tairoshan ROFL! The pic killed me :P

Otherwise intriguing mod Haare78! Looking forward to it ;)
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Hey all please check the original post, all race backgrounds are up and you can now download and play. I would love to hear from you your thoughts and experiences with this mod.

The race previews above don't include all the interesting parts of the mod such as the Keskudons having +40 strength to their troops on colonies with Korabbian Spice, making you value certain planets over others. Try the game out with these new races I'm certain things will feel nice and different in your games.
Igard

Post by Igard »

Looks awesome Haree. Not sure when I'll get a chance to play, but I'll try it out sometime. It's been about 6 or 7 months since I played with the original races, so it'll be like a new game for me!!
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

The problem is the art does not allow them to merge with the vanilla races.Like most mods it makes the game look like a messy hodge podge of art direction.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Haree78Phaerax

Haree78, did give you that picture of my mother-in-law...
Well, whether I gave it to you or Data stole it, you have my permission to use it...

{Just kidding; do not have a mother in law.}
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Return to “Design and Modding”