Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Exiting a Map

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> Exiting a Map Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exiting a Map - 7/9/2012 10:49:54 PM   
conradmaher

I still have difficulty getting my guys off the map. Any tips on what settings you use to get them off.

For example the Eisnborn Ridge scenario I always seem to have a large stack trying to get off Rollbahn A when time runs out. They have got there but are sitting around doing nothing. I never know if I should use Fast with low aggresive and no basing etc?

Any advice appreciated.

I have also played this scenario at least a half dozen times as the Germans and the best I have gotten in marginal victory when I give Axis all the supply and reinforcement advantages.

Thanks
Con
Post #: 1
RE: Exiting a Map - 7/9/2012 11:10:41 PM   
Lieste

Withdrawing with the exit location as the destination can help get troops to the area and concentrated - having important elements fighting on the approaches can abort the exit attempt.

Once sufficient forces are near the exit, try to make sure that the exit location is secured - you cannot exit via a contested or enemy controlled objective, and try to remove any threats from being able to observe/fire into the perimeter.

Avoid having everyone fighting for the objective though - fresher troops will respond to the exit order quicker than those who are excessively fatigued.

Exiting small groups (Individual artillery Bn, or Bn formations of line troops is usually more successful than whole Divisions, as the larger units are far more likely to have someone in contact causing reassessments about how to extricate/protect/collect them.
Move HQ and support elements that are definitely moving after the lead elements are exiting (as a basic check that the objective is 'clear') so they can exit while the perimeter is secured, before his forces can intervene to block the route ~ these tend to be more easily 'stuck' be nearby enemy presence. Leave some forces acting as a rear guard to hold his forces away from the objective location while the bulk of the force disengages (withdraw or delay can aid in movement away from enemy in contact). Try resting during the afternoon and moving after dark if enemy fires have been a problem. Avoid exiting too many units simultaneously - traffic jams don't help, reducing movement rates over the areas affected quite strongly... so pace the movements so that a single 'group' is exiting at once, with other units moving to the area. These can be given waypointed exit orders, but I find that a simple 'withdraw' 'move' etc to the general area, followed by a 'simple' exit order often reduces confusion, and mitigates against miss-estimations in journey time or friction causing confusion where two units are both exiting together and getting in each other's way.

FAST is probably not needed very often - it mostly increases fatigue with minimal changes to journey times... having said that it can be useful for small groups to use to occupy vital junctions/crossings before the enemy arrives, while the bulk of the forces move via normal movement.

(in reply to conradmaher)
Post #: 2
RE: Exiting a Map - 7/10/2012 1:21:24 AM   
conradmaher

Thanks for the tips

I think I did issue the command from Kampf group Krause and there were a lot of units strung out along the route.

Will try the smaller subordinate group method instead and make sure I have cleared the objective with he first ones arriving

Thanks
Conrad

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 3
RE: Exiting a Map - 7/10/2012 1:33:58 AM   
Lieste

You needn't use organic formations - detaching just a few of the companies nearest the objective as an order-group and exiting them will have little effect on the tail of the strung out column, while the entire column may never arrive and consolidate prior to exiting within the limited durations available.

With little or no contact it is entirely possible to exit a whole Corps via a single order, but in enemy presence too many sub-elements will be hung up for the AI to consistently handle that tasking (and it is seldom actually called for in a scenario (moreso in COTA than BfTB, where in the latter an ongoing battle is the norm, with elements operating in the enemy rear)).

(in reply to conradmaher)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> Exiting a Map Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI