Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First long bike ride since getting back onto it...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> First long bike ride since getting back onto it... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First long bike ride since getting back onto it... - 7/9/2012 2:04:22 AM   
Lieste

After spending (most) of the last 10 years off my bikes (except for a bit of local riding in town and supermarket shopping), I've been going out for short rides (previously nothing above about 50km, and a total of just under 350km)...

Today I just finished two short rides totalling 109km the last 25 of which were post-midnight with Dynamo lighting.

Not spectacularly fast at just under 20km/h (this morning's ride was with a slowish group), and even though the second ride was a bit faster it didn't make much difference to the average time (plus the 3 watt dynamo takes a bit of pace off ~ on the plus side, the light illuminates reflective road signs at ~100m and the road surface at about 100ft in the main beam, with the edge of the light pattern covering my whole field of frontal view... so I feel confident riding at 'normal' speeds).

Pleased with how I felt at the end, and I think I should be good for a planned 100 mile/160km trip to visit an old school friend I haven't actually met for ~30 years towards the end of the summer.

Still a long way from my old fitness ~ where my pace would be marginally higher over 250km, but it is good to be improving my fitness again, rather than letting it ooze away.
Post #: 1
RE: First long bike ride since getting back onto it... - 7/10/2012 4:29:40 AM   
Jeffrey H.

What made you stop?

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 2
RE: First long bike ride since getting back onto it... - 7/10/2012 9:40:33 AM   
Lieste

Family, having no free time for a while, then just ~ Meh.

Didn't lose my core fitness - I still walked everywhere, but lost the top end of my cycling fitness that makes long fast rides possible and fun.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 3
RE: First long bike ride since getting back onto it... - 7/10/2012 2:37:21 PM   
Jevhaddah

I bet yer bum hurtz now

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 4
RE: First long bike ride since getting back onto it... - 7/10/2012 4:41:40 PM   
Lieste

Not at all - suitable saddle (Brooks Pro for me) (and one that has molded to my shape over tens-of-thousands of miles), plus 'seamfree' padded cycling shorts, and for the cloudy/cool conditions in the morning and the night run home, long bib tights over.

Still getting the hang of the clipless pedals after the layoff - need to practice riding uphill one footed again for those moments you can't find the right angle on starting.... in city traffic you don't really want to have to coast immediately after setting off across a junction. Starting behind the lead car gives a bit more luxury there ~ while he opens enough 'gap' for safe riding at 30+ km/h I can sort myself off and then 'jump' to riding speed.

I did clout my hand at one point and have a sore tendon from that, but apart from that not even any tightness or pain in muscles... sure I am aware of bits that hadn't been worked quite so much in one day for a while, but not hurting.

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 5
RE: First long bike ride since getting back onto it... - 7/10/2012 10:54:31 PM   
Joe 98

I am a keen cyclist.

Many weekends ride both days.

Tend to do 70k - 80k. Those are comfy distances.

And I am enjoying watching the Tour de France!

< Message edited by Joe 98 -- 7/10/2012 10:55:07 PM >

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 6
RE: First long bike ride since getting back onto it... - 7/10/2012 11:27:42 PM   
Lieste

I would say I'd join you for a ride... but it's a bit far from here. Maybe one day ;)

(UK based, operating from the historic Spa Town of Bath.)

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 7
RE: First long bike ride since getting back onto it... - 7/11/2012 4:41:59 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lieste

Family, having no free time for a while, then just ~ Meh.

Didn't lose my core fitness - I still walked everywhere, but lost the top end of my cycling fitness that makes long fast rides possible and fun.

I've had problems with tendons in my leg, way up and in back where my pelvis is and in my knees, in front of my kneecaps. I've been taking a break for about 6 months now and I'm thinking of starting up again now that I feel better. The knee pain was vary bad and started to get into my ability to walk around without too much pain.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 8
RE: First long bike ride since getting back onto it... - 7/11/2012 5:02:34 PM   
Lieste

What sort of cadence and forces are you using?

I ride at between 90 and 110 rpm, with fairly light pedal forces (20-32 km/h or 12.5-20 mi/h average-peak(level)). Most of the riders I pass (or ride with) use far higher gearing and forces at around 40-60 rpm, although often at noticeably lower speeds they appear to be working 'harder'.

This ultimately is a personal thing, but I do feel that (most) cyclists ride too high a gear for their pace.

While entirely anecdotal my longest ride to date was 250km from Derby to Bath, which was entirely comfortable (except for sheer duration) despite having a leg injury/weakness that made walking uncomfortable and climbing steps difficult. Average pace was around 20km/h and level pace my normal 32km/h plus (though I was strongly concious of lower pace in any sort of climbing at all...)

My bike (a slightly customised Dawes Galaxy) has lower than normal gearing - the bottom gear being around a 19" equivalent, while most 'stock' MTB only go down to mid 20" range, & it uses touring tyres, which are firm (70PSI/75PSI front/rear) and "smooth" rather than the knobbly/semi-knobbly MTB/Hybrid fare. These are somewhat pricey - I think £70 for the pair (which are mounted reversed front/rear to give lateral grip in the front (and good braking) and longitudinal grip in the rear for driving traction), but they are extremely low rolling resistance and virtually puncture proof - I've had to replace two inner tubes - one a puncture on the newly fitted tyre before I found my optimum pressure values (too soft at the time) and one a cut from the valve seating not being adequately protected by the rim tape. My pump and supply of tubes has been kept busy fixing other people's though

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 9
RE: First long bike ride since getting back onto it... - 7/11/2012 5:11:56 PM   
Lieste

A gadget I found really useful, particularly for longer rides is a cyclocomputer with a cadence sensor - I actually ride with the cadence display active, and only use the speed/distance for navigation purposes - I find that otherwise I tend to drop cadence and push higher gears as I tire, and this has caused excessive tiredness/knee problems in the past for me.

While my pace does tend to fade a little because of the lower gearing that I select towards the end of a ride ~ it actually isn't by very much, and turning the same ('normal') gear at a lower cadence results in a lower pace as well while being more tiring *for me*. I am slightly built, averaging about 110 lbs, so sheer strength isn't my ... um... strength.

All of this of course is only what I found helpful ~ it isn't the only way, and might not be *best* for everyone, or for every purpose... but if you haven't even thought about it, it might be worth experimenting a little.

{Funny anecdote} When I first dragged the bike out of storage, and started using it, I was aiming for a 'gentle' 90 rpm, and was horrified how Hard it seemed to be compared to my recollection - then I noticed that I was actually travelling at 36km/h over a route than I would 'expect' 30-32km/h - Well that would explain some of the additional apparent effort then ;)

< Message edited by Lieste -- 7/11/2012 5:28:36 PM >

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 10
RE: First long bike ride since getting back onto it... - 7/12/2012 6:59:47 AM   
Joe 98

quote:

This ultimately is a personal thing, but I do feel that (most) cyclists ride too high a gear for their pace.

My road bike has 27 gears. The chain of course cannot bend so I can only use 19 of them.

I select the best gear for the condition. I am always pushing just a touch above comfy as "it is never good for you unless it hurts".

I don't follow my cadence. In theory it is always the same but it feels as thoug it changes often.

250k ! My longest ever day was a hot dry summers day where we did 125k and it was hilly hence a tough day.

That was during a Big Ride event where we cycled about 800k over 9 days wth support.

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 11
RE: First long bike ride since getting back onto it... - 7/12/2012 11:15:25 AM   
Lieste

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

quote:

My road bike has 27 gears. The chain of course cannot bend so I can only use 19 of them.

I select the best gear for the condition. I am always pushing just a touch above comfy as "it is never good for you unless it hurts".

I don't follow my cadence. In theory it is always the same but it feels as thoug it changes often.

250k ! My longest ever day was a hot dry summers day where we did 125k and it was hilly hence a tough day.

That was during a Big Ride event where we cycled about 800k over 9 days wth support.

What's hilly? Most of the climbs out of Bath are in the 150-200m range*, and over the course of a day ride I'll probably ascend some 500-1000m depending on route (mostly descending a similar amount as the terrain is rolling, rather than rising)... This is quite a bit lumpier than say Norfolk (where a 'mountain' is about 10m high ;) but by no means mountainous.

*There are 2-3 routes out along old railways or via canal tow-paths that are flatter, but these are less direct, indifferently surfaced and rather busy for long-distance use ~ I find roads far less stressful to negotiate. Besides which, they still climb over most of whichever ridgelines they eventually need to pass, just taking longer to complete the height change and diverting to skirt the slopes... great for long distances ridden, less good for joining points which are a long way apart. Roman roads are good for those :) though an unexpected 1 in 6 on a trunk road can come as a surprise when the road is as straight as an arrow

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 12
RE: First long bike ride since getting back onto it... - 7/12/2012 11:44:55 PM   
Joe 98

On the day in question the vertical climb was about 800 meters made up of a number of 200 meter climbs.

I checked the bike last night ready for a ride tomorrow (Saturday) and the rear tyre is worn out!

I will have to use the mountain bike tomorrow. It is 4k heavier than the road bike!

Joe

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 13
RE: First long bike ride since getting back onto it... - 7/13/2012 12:23:07 AM   
Lieste

Weight is worst when in the wheels. With a touring load, my bike usually comes in at around 70-75lbs, and I'm only 110lbs. 'Near naked' the bike weighs 40lbs with lighting, lock, pannier & toolkit. (sorry weird mix of imperial and metric terms - I find weight easy to convert to/from kg and therefore 'stick' with lbs/stone-lbs ~ distances/speeds/powers etc are easier with metric, so I use those, even though the roads are mile-marked).

The extra carry doesn't make a lot of difference except in the steeper climbs (and makes braking on descents something to pre-plan).

Tyres with a low rolling resistance (I use Continental Top Touring 2000) and a firm pressure (I use 70/75 PSI) make more difference to effort on 'tolerably good' surfaces. I seem to keep a higher pace than most of the hybrid/mtb riders even where the surface is mud or loose gravel, though I'm sure they do have slightly better grip in some conditions, and possibly a bit less 'bang' from potholes. There is far more road 'buzz' from a typical hybrid tyre though...

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 14
RE: First long bike ride since getting back onto it... - 7/24/2012 6:02:11 AM   
Joe 98

This was a great victory by Wiggins!

I wonder if there is the time to put on a parade for Wiggins in London before the Olympics.

I have watched the tour avidly most nights. I am not a sports fan but I am a cyclist and I enjoy the tour de France!

After more than 3,000k, I note Evans finished 7th at 15 mins behind.

If I were riding with them I would be a week behind!

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> First long bike ride since getting back onto it... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI