Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Confused between COW vs III

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Confused between COW vs III Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Confused between COW vs III - 7/8/2012 10:27:51 PM   
Akmatov

Of course, the newest version and the newest patch is always better. :)

However, I'm confused about which version of TOAW would be best to play the many, many scenarios designed for COW. I gather I can easily update the COW scenarios to play in III, but should I? I gather there is an issue about the Attrition Divider and the MRBP that are generally held to be in need of adjusting.

I have both COW and III, so I could play either way, but given that III seems to have some nice improvements I'd prefer to play in III. Is there a generally agreed 'best practices' method of adjusting COW scenarios for best performance in III?

UPDate
I read that Bob Cross has done some work on how best to adjust MRBP, but I have failed to discover the information.

< Message edited by Akmatov -- 7/8/2012 10:46:03 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Confused between COW vs III - 7/9/2012 12:10:43 AM   
shunwick

Akmatov,

I also have both but I use TOAW III for playing. I don't think there are any best practice recommendations for updating ACOW scenarios to TOAW III. Each scenario is unique and so a step by step cookbook recipe will not work. Some ACOW scenarios require very little work to make them play well under TOAW III and others require much work.

You will need to look at everything if only to work out what you would not need to change. Play balance is probably the hardest thing to get right, usually needs adjusting, and requires, I am afraid, just hard slog play-testing.

MRPB is usually set to either 3 or 4 these days. I tend to go for 3 and then play-test. Setting the attrition divider is the tricky one but always ends up play-testing your first guess and adjusting - rinse and repeat.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Akmatov)
Post #: 2
RE: Confused between COW vs III - 7/9/2012 12:21:49 AM   
Akmatov

Steve,

This is very helpful and appreciated. Even though I now know there is no 'cookbook' formula, I now have some idea of the situation. And 'play balance' is not to big an issue as I seem to get my a$$ handed to me by most AIs. :)

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3
RE: Confused between COW vs III - 7/9/2012 3:44:27 AM   
sPzAbt653

AD thread - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3045873

(in reply to Akmatov)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Confused between COW vs III Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI