Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Good WW2 History Book Recommendations?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Good WW2 History Book Recommendations? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Good WW2 History Book Recommendations? - 7/8/2012 3:48:52 AM   
johnnyrey

Hi All!

Can anyone recommend any good books on WW2? Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Good WW2 History Book Recommendations? - 7/8/2012 9:12:33 AM   
british exil

Depends on what Area you want to concentrate on?

European, Pacific?

You can then rethink, eg. European - Allied or Axies side? - What battlefields - Eastern or Western front/ Afrika?

I have a mixture of books, I am not saying I am an expert, but I flick through the pages to see what the book is like. What interests me and is affordable will be in my own libary after a while.

Which is difficult as I live in Germany and most books I have to purchase over the internet. I like to read the recences.
Or follow the thread in the General Discussion http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3058799

If you want Pacific area go to the WitPAE room. You will not be dissapointed. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=528

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to johnnyrey)
Post #: 2
RE: Good WW2 History Book Recommendations? - 7/8/2012 1:22:15 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: johnnyrey

... Can anyone recommend any good books on WW2? Thanks!

Almost anything by John Keegan.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to johnnyrey)
Post #: 3
RE: Good WW2 History Book Recommendations? - 7/8/2012 4:37:29 PM   
ilovestrategy

Shattered Sword and John Toland's "Fall of the Japanese Empire"

I've read both several times and love them both.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 4
RE: Good WW2 History Book Recommendations? - 7/8/2012 9:12:46 PM   
jamesm

Anthony Beevor's "The Second World War".

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 5
RE: Good WW2 History Book Recommendations? - 7/10/2012 7:26:17 AM   
MikeBrough

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesm

I've just bought that one, myself. I got it for a fiver in a flash-sale on Amazon. It weights A TON! I was going to take it away as my holiday reading but it uses up most of my baggage allownce all by itself.

BTW is it any good?

Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

Be sceptical of the things you believe are false; be very sceptical of the things you believe are true.

(in reply to jamesm)
Post #: 6
RE: Good WW2 History Book Recommendations? - 7/10/2012 9:03:05 AM   
jamesm

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeBrough

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesm

I've just bought that one, myself. I got it for a fiver in a flash-sale on Amazon. It weights A TON! I was going to take it away as my holiday reading but it uses up most of my baggage allownce all by itself.

BTW is it any good?

One of the best history reads I have read. He has dug up some fascinating little titbits. Ensure that you read the preface.

(in reply to MikeBrough)
Post #: 7
RE: Good WW2 History Book Recommendations? - 7/18/2012 10:27:38 AM   
JKLcvbf

Fall of the Japanese Empire is amazing bool.I am a big fan of it!

(in reply to jamesm)
Post #: 8
RE: Good WW2 History Book Recommendations? - 7/18/2012 12:52:07 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: JKLcvbf

Hey JKLcvbf, what do you think the greatest weakness of Fall of the Japanese Empire is?

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to JKLcvbf)
Post #: 9
RE: Good WW2 History Book Recommendations? - 7/18/2012 6:30:37 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

Hey JKLcvbf, what do you think the greatest weakness of Fall of the Japanese Empire is?

Parusski,

Didn't Matrix just recently change their policy on the forum to require some 50 posts before some aspects of forum posting were permitted? I would expect any nascent spambot-wannabe to post a great number of 'me too' posts in as rapid succession as possible in order to get over that threshhold. I think I noticed a number of WOW gold mining tags on some recent posters that have also been curiously stripped. Not that that has anything to do with JKLcvbf, of course-I apologize in advance for any suggestions of spambottitude that may be interpreted in that manner.

Having said all that, I also felt that Fall of the Japanese Empire was an amazing bool. I am a big fan of it. That and wowkitchens. They are my friend.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 10
RE: Good WW2 History Book Recommendations? - 7/18/2012 7:22:25 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

Having said all that, I also felt that Fall of the Japanese Empire was an amazing bool. I am a big fan of it. That and wowkitchens. They are my friend.
soojan

Hey chikboy, you spammer too!! I knew it much all along. I think you need to post wowkitchens in War In Pacific Edititon.

You tell them about Mr Wilkes from local pet store and my friend from Rachel Pilsen who wear pink sexy mash up boots and feminine dress that make great feel like cowboy hat man.

I think if you did that then they kill you in house fire. But you should try anyway.

I like Japanese empire. I like chikboy. it is my friend.

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Good WW2 History Book Recommendations? - 9/8/2012 10:25:03 PM   
SLAAKMAN

One of the funniest books Ive read is about the goofball triple-agent, Eddie Chapman;

The Eddie Chapman Story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Chapman
quote:

Chapman had two fiancées at the same time on opposite sides of the war, Freda Stevenson in England and Dagmar Lahlum in Norway, each under the protection of and financially assisted by their respective governments.[8] He abandoned both women after the war and instead married his former pre-war lover Betty Farmer whom he had left in a hurry at the Hotel de la Plage in 1938. He and Farmer later had a daughter Suzanne in 1954. He had told Dagmar at the time he was a British agent. However, Dagmar served a six-month prison sentence for consorting with an apparently German officer: thinking that Chapman was dead, she was unable to prove that he was a British agent. They met again briefly in 1994.

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 12
RE: Good WW2 History Book Recommendations? - 9/9/2012 7:17:52 AM   
Keunert

if you want to have a look on the soviet side of things, it wont get any better than this:

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Fate-Review-Books-Classics/dp/1590172019

it describes both the life as a soldier and those of civilians during Stalins reign and during the war. A Tolstoi like epic tale. The autor was a war journalist at Stalingrad and other places and a chemist. Grossman tried to publish this book after Stalins death but instantly repressed by the regime. they did take away the manuscript and only by luck one copy got into the west where it was published in german in the early 80's. 2006 the book finally got an english traduction. extremely good book. no hero bullshit though, just dirty realism.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Good WW2 History Book Recommendations? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI