Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Changing Nations in an Alliance

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Changing Nations in an Alliance Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Changing Nations in an Alliance - 7/7/2012 11:10:16 PM   
Akmatov

Browsing the Editor and the manual and seem to be missing something.

In an existing scenario, how would I change which nations are members of an alliance?

I am looking at a 1980s Gulf scenario and it has Syria and Iraq as allies of Iran. Syria,OK both are Baath Party states, but certainly not Iraq. I just want to make Iraq neutral unless attacked. Later I might investigate events and how Iraq could join in on one side or the other, but for the moment I is both difficult and irrational to have to fight Iraq and Iran as allies in this time frame.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Changing Nations in an Alliance - 7/8/2012 1:07:40 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Akmatov

Browsing the Editor and the manual and seem to be missing something.

In an existing scenario, how would I change which nations are members of an alliance?

I am looking at a 1980s Gulf scenario and it has Syria and Iraq as allies of Iran. Syria,OK both are Baath Party states, but certainly not Iraq. I just want to make Iraq neutral unless attacked. Later I might investigate events and how Iraq could join in on one side or the other, but for the moment I is both difficult and irrational to have to fight Iraq and Iran as allies in this time frame.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

You would have to create twin copies of Iraq's forces - one copy on each side. Cover Iraq with an exclusion zone. Either side would have to excercise a Theater Option to attack Iraq. If so optioned, events would remove the exclusion zone and the appropriate copy of the Iraqi forces would arrive on the map as reinforcements - use the event-triggered option. You would also have to initially set all the Iraqi hexes to one side or the other. If it turns out that Iraq joins the opposite side, then you would have to toggle ownership of all those Iraqi hexes - that could take a lot of events, depending on the hex scale. You would also need to use events to place the appropriate supply points in Iraqi cities as needed. Note that Iraqi replacements would best be provided via disbandments of dummy units rather than trying to adjust either side's replacement tracks. That will take more events. Then there's the issue of the VP locations in Iraq. The initial owning side should have their value deducted by event award to the other side. But it Iraq joins the other side, that will have to be double reversed.

In case you're wondering, no, TOAW is not designed to handle this.

(in reply to Akmatov)
Post #: 2
RE: Changing Nations in an Alliance - 7/8/2012 3:56:15 AM   
Akmatov

Wow!

So, if I understand you correctly, TOAW is not really designed to support having a nation neutral unless attacked. So for the games that cover say the entirety of WW2 in Europe, the scenario author has probably had to perform this double task for neutral nations like Switzerland and Sweden? Why make things easy, right?

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3
RE: Changing Nations in an Alliance - 7/8/2012 8:00:11 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Akmatov

Wow!

So, if I understand you correctly, TOAW is not really designed to support having a nation neutral unless attacked. So for the games that cover say the entirety of WW2 in Europe, the scenario author has probably had to perform this double task for neutral nations like Switzerland and Sweden? Why make things easy, right?

Not to have a neutral join either side. It can be neutral with an option of joining only one side quite easily, though. That's usually all that's needed. But it is humanly possible to do the other, though - as I explained.

(in reply to Akmatov)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Changing Nations in an Alliance Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI