Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any kind of Demo?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Any kind of Demo? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any kind of Demo? - 7/6/2012 9:26:57 PM   
johnnyrey

Hi there,

I'm looking at possibly purchasing ATG, but would like to play it first, is there any kind of demo available?
Post #: 1
RE: Any kind of Demo? - 7/7/2012 5:54:44 AM   
Jeffrey H.

You can find the peoples republic online for free i think. That was two generations ago ATG.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to johnnyrey)
Post #: 2
RE: Any kind of Demo? - 7/7/2012 11:23:00 AM   
ernieschwitz

I think what Jeffrey H is refering to is the game Peoples Tactics. And yes that was two generations ago. This is much better :)

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 3
RE: Any kind of Demo? - 7/7/2012 2:57:32 PM   
Josh

No, no demo. Best thing you can do to get an impression is read the AAR's. What you will be missing though is the strategic layer, the decisions players have to make on a larger scale. Because unlike TOAW where the forces you get is all you get, plus some reinforcements. In ATG you have to make up your mind what is best to use in the given circumstances, more planes? More expensive oilguzzlers? Cheap cannonfodder? What fronts do you open and what part do you neglect (for the time being) and so on and so on. Plus you will be missing the creation of your units, which can be an art in itself too  .
Sort of any reader of an TOAW AAR will be missing the tension of the stars on the right, how many stars did I burn this time in a turn? Burn too many and it's the end of the turn, you can only experience things like that once you've played the game.
For what it's worth, ATG has become for me the "Civilization" (as in the game Civilization) of wargames, an all time classic.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 4
RE: Any kind of Demo? - 7/7/2012 11:03:34 PM   
johnnyrey

Josh,

you responded to my other thread, so thanks for that, you are very helpful =)

I like the idea of ATG quite a bit, and I've been dabbling in people's tactics, although I'm still a bit lost (the wiki for it is down, so documentation is scarce)

I've been talking with the game's creator Vic, who's been aswering several of my questions, and I think I will definitely be purchasing ATG.

Can you tell me, will Case Blue have the same style as ATG, where you build units, or is it more traditional, in the sense that you only get so many units?

Thanks again!

< Message edited by johnnyrey -- 7/7/2012 11:04:02 PM >

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 5
RE: Any kind of Demo? - 7/8/2012 9:02:31 AM   
british exil

Johnny, I think the fact that you can talk with Vic the game's creator and the fact that your posts were answered, shows that there are players who are willing to help newcomers. Plus that Vic took the time to help you out personally, indicates that he is interested in bringing new players into the "fold".

Tell me another game where the designer or creator is willing to spend time explaining certain features to a complete stranger, who does not already own the game or who is contemplating in buying it?

The forum is not as active as it used to be as most players have been here since AT was new, as ATG is a grander redesign of the game most basics are the same. But a lot of players do follow the forum to help with Q&A.

You won't regret the purchase of the game, maybe regretting you didn't buy it earlier.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to johnnyrey)
Post #: 6
RE: Any kind of Demo? - 7/8/2012 12:19:18 PM   
Josh

Thx Johnnyrey,

Fall Blau, as far as I can tell, won't be the same as ATG, you can "build" extra units but certainly not on the scale as ATG. In ATG creating units can be an art on itself whereas in Fal Blau it probably will be via cards or events; say do you follow the historical path or do you spend points and buy extra units. Certainly the units in Fall Blau will have a more historical TOE, ATG is very generic in that there's only "light tank II" or "light tank III" We all have a feeling that "light tank III" is probably a PzKpfw III or Sherman/Lee/Grant ... but it's still no the same. In Fall Blau every unit will be historical so no kicking russian butt in 42 with your Panthers, you're still knocking at their door with a peashooter called Pak (Panzer anklopf gerät).
So many games so little time to play

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 7
RE: Any kind of Demo? - 7/8/2012 3:36:40 PM   
johnnyrey

Thanks guys!

One last question, are you telling me I can design my own units in the game, as I play? (not just build pre-set ones)

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 8
RE: Any kind of Demo? - 7/8/2012 4:34:45 PM   
**budd**

i think what he means is you can choose to build what you want i.e fighters, infantry, tanks, ect.
you can also choose how your army groups are made up... i.e. putting 40 rifles, 10 mgs, 20 smg's , flak, ect ect. into one group. Use different groups to achieve different goals.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to johnnyrey)
Post #: 9
RE: Any kind of Demo? - 7/8/2012 4:41:50 PM   
johnnyrey

ah ok. I understand. Can you create your own units via the editing tools? ( along with scenarios)

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 10
RE: Any kind of Demo? - 7/9/2012 11:01:50 AM   
Josh

Yes you can create anything you want, in the game itself or in the very powerful editor. You can create Vietnam scenarios, Afghanistan, WWI, you can create über killerstacks or hundreds of cannonfodder units (as in Russian human wave tactics, send in ever more troops no matter the losses.. your opponent will loose ever more readiness and in the end loose the battle). You can setup any scenario you want in the editor, fresh new troops or higly experienced forces but depleted, and so on.

(off topic; curses this "lose" and "loosened" I never can remember what is what; lose a battle and an loose shoelaces... that is correct right?)

(in reply to johnnyrey)
Post #: 11
RE: Any kind of Demo? - 7/9/2012 1:46:47 PM   
Mad Russian

Yes, lose a battle and you have loose shoe laces.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Any kind of Demo? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI