Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Spamming..What Matrix should do right now...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Spamming..What Matrix should do right now... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Spamming..What Matrix should do right now... - 7/5/2012 12:56:11 PM   
J P Falcon

Since this is getting so ridiculous right now, Matrix should put a moritorium on accepting new members. When someone tries to sign up, simply have a message that the registration system is down for maintenance, please come back soon...

And by the way, when Matrix bans someone do they ban the email address and/or IP address?

< Message edited by J P Falcon -- 7/5/2012 1:09:56 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Spamming..What Matrix should do right now... - 7/5/2012 1:21:13 PM   
british exil

I agree that the spamming is very annoying. But to force a person to wait till he can post a new thread is also not quite right.
If I remember correctly one my first posts was a new thread in the UV forum. I had a question that I felt was important to join the forum and pose the question by starting a new thread.
Had I been forced to wait till I had a certain amount of posts to start a new thread, I'm not quite I would have joined the forum.
UV being the first game I bought after years of not playing and the fact that UV was not bought via Matrix. I more or less stumbeled over Matrix Games. After my questions were asked in kind and friendly manner, I was glad that I was able to post threads.
I felt like the new kid on the block, wondering if the other kids would let me play with them and join their gang.

I know the spammers do not have these feelings, but there are gamers out there, who will stumble into the world of matrix, should we make it easy for them to play with us and join our gang? Letting them enjoy the games we enjoy? Or should we restrict them and force them to meet certain requirements, maybe chasing them away and not letting them get into the games we enjoy?

Think back to your first posts? Some of us may have difficulties remebering so far back. But I'm sure a new thread was started asking questions about certain aspects to a game or problem.

I am in favour of solving this spamming problem that we have in the forums as it does derive a certain amount of fun.

It did not pose problems in the past, why now? Why the increase?

This is not meant as an attack, I am not pointing my finger at anyone, but might it be someone from another site who just wants to cause problems?

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to J P Falcon)
Post #: 2
RE: Spamming..What Matrix should do right now... - 7/5/2012 1:36:13 PM   
carnifex

Im not sure what's up with the forum software or the authentication process here but i visit a dozen forums nearly every day and this is the only one with such a pervasive spam problem.

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 3
RE: Spamming..What Matrix should do right now... - 7/5/2012 2:00:10 PM   
junk2drive

Back when games were sold at stores...

When you install a Matrix game it has a link to the forums. I think that Matrix wants to make it easy for a new customer to access support, hence the ease of signing up and posting.

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 4
RE: Spamming..What Matrix should do right now... - 7/5/2012 2:40:17 PM   
Iain McNeil

Its not as simple as it sounds to do stuff like that - its about a weeks worth of work assuming it goes to plan and it doesn't really do anything other than delay the spam and could put off real users.

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software
Website http://www.slitherine.com

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 5
RE: Spamming..What Matrix should do right now... - 7/5/2012 3:46:16 PM   
Scott_WAR

Still the question remains,...why is Matrix so overun with them when other websites arent? Maybe its time to find out what others are doing to stop it and do the same.

(in reply to Iain McNeil)
Post #: 6
RE: Spamming..What Matrix should do right now... - 7/5/2012 4:26:03 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

Still the question remains,...why is Matrix so overun with them when other websites arent? Maybe its time to find out what others are doing to stop it and do the same.

As if it was easy to deal with real persons (as opposed to bots). Perhaps they assault these forums because they are really popular (ergo lots of potential clients)? As long as these two assumptions are correct, it won't be that easy to get rid of spammmmmmmmers methinks...

Maybe there could be an option to BLOCK / IGNORE threads... just like when you block some user = you made a ghost of that particular person

"Hang on, is that it...? Are we on the ring...?? Ready???" -- Nürburgring Seven Second Ring King

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 7
RE: Spamming..What Matrix should do right now... - 7/5/2012 4:32:58 PM   
wodin

British Exile, I can't see another website doing this to cause problems, I very much doubt Matrix has those kind of enemies. It has got worse since topics became more general and less game or wargame related. As alot more threads with lots of posts have been started over the last few months than previously. Not saying this is the issue but it may be, as could someone passing on forum info to spammers.

Who knows, either way something needs to be looked at as I expect the time spent by Matrix in getting rid of spam will be actually be alot more than the time spent putting in some anti spam procedure.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Spamming..What Matrix should do right now... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI