Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tips for newbs (i need some)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> Tips for newbs (i need some) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tips for newbs (i need some) - 7/3/2012 7:50:12 AM   
sanderz

Hi all

I am new to the game but very keen to play the Directive 21 scenario. I think i have a handle on most of the main game concepts but strategy and tactics is a whole new ball game.

So, i thought i would pick of few different situations (from the Directive 21 scenario 2.3) and seek advice form the experts.

Heres a screen shot of a small part of AGN after 30% planned combat and 0% turn used.
PIC1

-------------------------------

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Tips for newbs (i need some) - 7/3/2012 7:51:08 AM   
sanderz

After combat, but before further moves
PIC2

-----------------------------------------------

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 2
RE: Tips for newbs (i need some) - 7/3/2012 7:52:15 AM   
sanderz

After all movement used up
PIC3

---------------------------------------------

Am interested in your comments/tips . My own thoughts below:

The 1st and 6 th Pz are heading towards Siauiai - have i got as far as i could?

Should i have advanced 2 whole divisions towards Liepaja - should i have just totally bypassed and cleaned up later?

I left all air units on default settings.

Is it ok to run out of movement before all combat % used up. I assume yes because otherwise i would have messed up the rest of the front.

Is it important to convert every enemy hex - i think i remember reading somewhere that if not then enemy might spawn there. Do any enemy hexes auto convert after a period of time?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 3
RE: Tips for newbs (i need some) - 7/3/2012 9:23:13 PM   
shunwick

Sanderz,

Since nobody else seems to want to pick this one up I shall give it a go.

The early weeks of Barbarossa are happy times for the Wehrmacht. I think push, push, push is generally the order of the day. Don't worry about leaving Soviet units behind to be dealt with by follow on forces.

The Soviet resistence will stiffen as the initial shock wears off but you know this already. Keep focused on your primary objectives, and will need to think carefully about the priority you give to which objective as the campaign unfolds.

You can be more flexible with the airforce. Units running out of movement points before the turn is finished is normal.

It is not necessary to convert all but you do have security forces that are good for the job once the forward edge of battle area has moved on. Certainly, do not waste your main striking arm on hex conversion behind the drive front. Enemy hexes do not automatically convert to your control although (for completeness) I should mention that enemy zones may appear in areas you have converted due to partisan activities.

Above all else, have fun.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 4
RE: Tips for newbs (i need some) - 7/3/2012 9:46:11 PM   
sanderz

thanks shunwick - useful info

just started my first turn of Directive 21 :)

is this game anything like wite where all the russians run at full speed?

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 5
RE: Tips for newbs (i need some) - 7/3/2012 10:04:24 PM   
shunwick

Sanderz,

Not familiar with wite so cannot comment. I tend not to play the TOAW monsters either. Directive 21 is well liked though and I believe it can give you an interesting challenge. Not sure if anyone has ever finished it though.....

I would love to hear from someone who has finished the whole thing. Don't forget that all FITE scenarios and Deirective 21 are all essentially defend Berlin scenarios.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 6
RE: Tips for newbs (i need some) - 7/4/2012 6:43:35 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

Is it important to convert every enemy hex

Yes, otherwise Soviet units may reconstitute in those areas and cause you a bigger headache than you need.

quote:

... enemy zones may appear in areas you have converted due to partisan activities.

No Partizans in D21 until 1944. I won't tell you exactly when as that would spoil the surprise.

quote:

is this game anything like wite where all the russians run at full speed?

The Soviet side in D21 will not run. For some back history on the scenario, initially the Soviet side was set to keep coming at you at all times. This was felt to be a good representation of Soviet doctrine. However, most players considered it too easy to defeat the Soviets with this setup. So we found several points in history where the Soviets tried to build defensive lines and then set the PO to react to the situation on the map. Most players have liked this, so we have continued to work with and improve it.

quote:

Not sure if anyone has ever finished it though.....

I've only seen the end files from two that I finished and one from 'Patrick' if I remember correctly. The first one that I finished was the first full playtest and I actually didn't finish as the Soviets were in Berlin in late '42. The other one was 3-4 years ago and after the '43 Axis offensive I had crippled the Soviets so bad that I eventually advanced to the Urals and by turn 405 there were only a few Soviet units on the map. This guy Patrick managed to wipe the Soviets off the map by around turn 250, no reason to 'finish' at that point, he won.

I believe that most plays of this scenario end before the finish, as either the player has done well enough to realise there is no point in continuing, or at some point they notice they have made a blunder that they don't wish to attempt to recover from so they quit. Those situations seem fine to me, the ones that bother me are when a player plays 40-50 turns, captures Moscow and/or Leningrad, and declares themselves the winner.

Anybody can win Barbarossa, thats easy.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 7
RE: Tips for newbs (i need some) - 7/4/2012 8:56:17 PM   
shunwick

Steve,

I don't know if you have seen this but it is 2.3 players options screen in game...

The F22- Lightning looks like a good option as well...

Best wishes,
Steve

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by shunwick -- 7/4/2012 8:58:27 PM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 8
RE: Tips for newbs (i need some) - 7/5/2012 2:42:08 AM   
sPzAbt653

You may have a better experience with rum and lightning turned on.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 9
RE: Tips for newbs (i need some) - 7/5/2012 3:16:22 AM   
Panama

I prefer rum and coke. Don't see that option.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> Tips for newbs (i need some) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI