Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wow - Forum Administration Notice

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Wow - Forum Administration Notice Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 5:38:04 PM   
Roger Neilson 3

Sudden and pretty decisive action.... In no way am I wanting to criticise, but I do hope that the gentlemen concerned at least had a warning and some time to reflect on their misdemeanours......

I have said a few time recently the forum was developing too much of a free for all tendency, but that was pretty sudden and without at least warnings being issued beforehand may tend to shut everyone up too much.

Roger

Post #: 1
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 5:44:08 PM   
jwilkerson

Roger,

I assume your statements are made in good faith.

All the accounts against which action was taken have been warned and or banned multiple times before - I do not think any of them were suprised - except perhaps regarding how long it took us to act. I think actually we were being tested.

The exception is the Osterhaut account which was determined to be a sock puppet. No warnings indicated for sock puppet's ... forum rules are clear on that subject.

Joe

AE Project Lead

(in reply to Roger Neilson 3)
Post #: 2
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 5:53:59 PM   
jnpoint

good to see jwilkerson- that is the only appropriate response to such things.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 3
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 6:10:21 PM   
Roger Neilson 3

Absolutely happy with that Joe, my concern was the effect on other posters - good to have your reassurance.

Roger

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 4
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 6:17:16 PM   
d0mbo

Hi Jwilkerson,

Without knowing details, I am happy you took action.
Much appreciated.

Cheers!

Edit: Only read the notice after I posted the above message. I approve of the action taken; I hope they'll come back as better posters.

< Message edited by d0mbo -- 7/2/2012 8:44:43 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 6:29:29 PM   
John 3rd

I am aware of some details and am totally shocked this took place. Can we get any further useful information?

EDIT: I just read the note Posted on the other thread.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 7/2/2012 6:31:01 PM >

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to d0mbo)
Post #: 6
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 6:58:01 PM   
Sredni

3 months doesn't sound too shocking. I hope it doesn't keep the posters from coming back, but I do hope it cleans up their behavior. I'm more surprised that there weren't more people in the list.

I am surprised the details were posted by a mod. That sort of stuff should be kept private. Osterhaut was a sock puppet of a prominent poster? How embarrassing. The forum at large doesn't need to know that.

Post #: 7
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 7:16:46 PM   
AW1Steve

Joe may I request and suggest that YOU DO publish as many and such details as you can without compromising privacy? It would serve both as a warning against OTHER poetential miscreants, AND serve as a reassurrance that the forum is being monitored, taken seriously and action can , will, and has been taken. I can't speak for others , but I have felt that the forum was rapidly turning into a "wild west show" and would really like to know where the lines are, and the punishment for crossing them. I'm sure that you and Bill have been doing your best , but there was only one of you (now two) and I think a great many of the "forum regulars" have felt that "lack of oversight" (due to whatever justifyable reasons) have lead to a need for "forum vigilanteeism".

Thank you and Bill for your diligence and attention to this matter.

Edit....this post and Erik's notification have crossed. I strongly applaud the notification and greatly recommend this sort of notification in the future. Thank you.

< Message edited by AW1Steve -- 7/2/2012 7:20:48 PM >

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 8
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 7:17:29 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sredni

I am surprised the details were posted by a mod. That sort of stuff should be kept private. Osterhaut was a sock puppet of a prominent poster? How embarrassing. The forum at large doesn't need to know that.
Warspite1

Out of genuine curiosity - why do you say that?

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 9
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 7:19:22 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

I'm more surprised that there weren't more people in the list.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 10
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 7:20:42 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Joe may I request and suggest that YOU DO publish as many and such details as you can without compromising privacy?
Warspite1

What details are you looking for?

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 11
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 7:22:31 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Joe may I request and suggest that YOU DO publish as many and such details as you can without compromising privacy?
Warspite1

Who, what and when. Erik's post and mine crossed. Basically I'd like to see any banning , admonishion and punishment made public. "A public hanging" so to speak.

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 12
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 7:25:29 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Who, what and when. Erik's post and mine crossed. Basically I'd like to see any banning , admonishion and punishment made public. "A public hanging" so to speak.
Warspite1

Understood! I thought you were talking about something over and above Erik's post.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 13
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 7:49:20 PM   
sandman455

quote:

. . . Thank you and Bill for your diligence and attention to this matter.

Quoted for my own presonal recognition of accuracy, sincerity and sentiment.

Gary S (USN 1320, 1985-1993)
AOCS 1985, VT10 1985-86, VT86 1986, VS41 1986-87
VS32 1987-90 (NSO/NWTO, deployed w/CV-66, CVN-71)
VS27 1990-91 (NATOPS/Safety)
SFWSLANT 1991-93 (AGM-84 All platforms, S-3 A/B systems)

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 14
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 8:13:38 PM   
Sredni

quote:

In my opinion naming names does more harm then good in this situation. A post stating that recent behavior has resulted in a number of 3 month bans along with a sock puppet account being deleted would have the same effect (warning the community at large to reign in behavior and setting limits on what is and isn't acceptable) without publicly embarrassing those who were named. Public embarrassment may result in those named not coming back which would be a loss to the community.

People may still know who got banned due to behavior and absence, but at least it isn't out for everyone to see and titter over.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 15
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 8:17:42 PM   
LoBaron

You do have a point.

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 16
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 8:23:32 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Sorry Sredni, but given the people involved, the nature of their relationship to each other and the forum in general and their repeated offences, I more than agree with Joe and Eric. Not only did it likely not come as a surprise (as Roger fears) but I think that Joe has hit the nail on the head that at least some of them were deliberately pushing the envelope to see what they could get away with.

And the reason to publicly announce it is to let the entire community know that the people responsible for shutting down countless interesting threads with their juvenile behavior are indeed being dealt with.

< Message edited by Onime No Kyo -- 7/2/2012 8:24:04 PM >

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 17
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 8:26:36 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

In my opinion naming names does more harm then good in this situation. A post stating that recent behavior has resulted in a number of 3 month bans along with a sock puppet account being deleted would have the same effect (warning the community at large to reign in behavior and setting limits on what is and isn't acceptable) without publicly embarrassing those who were named. Public embarrassment may result in those named not coming back which would be a loss to the community.

People may still know who got banned due to behavior and absence, but at least it isn't out for everyone to see and titter over.

Abiguity is part of the problem. When you name the name, everyone immediately looks up evrything that person posted. You see EXACTLY what they did , and you EXACTLY see what WILL NOT STAND. No mealy mouthing , no doubt. If a person is embarrased because of their behavior, well then good. That also helps in reining in behavior. There are two kinds of punishment, public and private. Public tells everyone, the enforcers are present , active and fair. When you "disapper" someone where is the lesson? People drop off the forum for many reasons , all the time. When you ban someone, especially a permanent banning , people will talk, and remind themselves and others that when you cross the line, bad things happen. It's never enough to punish someone. You have to let them be an example to others. Or you lose a great deal of the positive effect of the banning.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 18
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 8:30:31 PM   
aztez

Good to see forum rules imposed to those who have gone againts them.

This place is an civil place and hopefully will remain so.

Keep up the good work.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 19
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 8:52:26 PM   
Cannonfodder

I think most of us understand why action had to be taken.. High school was a couple of years ago.. (longer for some HAH)

Cheers,

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 20
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 8:58:20 PM   
jeffk3510

Glad something was finally done. I agree with publically posting the said offenders as well.

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to Cannonfodder)
Post #: 21
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 9:08:23 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

Glad something was finally done. I agree with publically posting the said offenders as well.
Warspite1

+1

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 22
RE: Wow - Forum Administration Notice - 7/2/2012 10:43:49 PM   
Erik Rutins

The original post was locked for a reason. This is not a subject for discussion. If you have comments or questions regarding the action that was taken, please contact me at erikr@matrixgames.com

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Wow - Forum Administration Notice Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI