Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Combat question - understanding the "Plan for attack" box

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Combat question - understanding the "Plan for attack" box Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Combat question - understanding the "Plan for atta... - 7/2/2012 2:15:38 PM   
sanderz

Sorry for the spam

Just want to make sure i understand the info in the "plan attack" screen as there are some points i am not clear on.

Is the following correct?

1) Units in the "Support Units" box

a) Land units with a red cross through them WILL always support the attack. Despite the mouseover only saying "CAN support this attack" it does automatically provide support without you doing anything. There is no way to turn them off completely. They are using half their combat factor but will be available to support other attacks.

b) Land and Air units with a gold triangle attack at full combat value but will not be available to suport any other attacks in range.

c) Air units no extra icons attack at reduced strength and are available to support othetr units. Why don't these have a red cross through them like land units, is there a difference i am missing?

2) Units in the 6 attack boxes
Units are either attacking (gold triangle and bronze outline) or doing nothing.

HOWEVER what about Art/Werfer/HQ units in these combat boxes? You can commit them BUT:
* It doesn't seem to change the total attack value that is displayed
* If they are somehow supporting are they using their indirect fire and not taking casualties or are they in the trenches with the grunts?

many thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Combat question - understanding the "Plan for ... - 7/2/2012 2:36:40 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Kamerad Devonshire,

refer to this thread - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2374945&mpage=1&key=attack%2Cplanner�

'Onkel Larry' put together slides, screenshots, the lot to explain how the AP works.

Klink, Oberst

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Visit the Gefechtsstand!

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 2
RE: Combat question - understanding the "Plan for ... - 7/2/2012 3:16:22 PM   
sanderz

thanks herr klink

however, i couldn't see that the link answered either of my queries above :(

having said that it was very useful as i didn't realise the turn burn effects of "lack of cooperation"

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 3
RE: Combat question - understanding the "Plan for ... - 7/2/2012 3:32:11 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanderz

Sorry for the spam

Just want to make sure i understand the info in the "plan attack" screen as there are some points i am not clear on.

Is the following correct?

1) Units in the "Support Units" box

a) Land units with a red cross through them WILL always support the attack. Despite the mouseover only saying "CAN support this attack" it does automatically provide support without you doing anything. There is no way to turn them off completely. They are using half their combat factor but will be available to support other attacks.

No. If they have the red cross through them they will not support anything - they are not in a support deployment. But they are shown because they are in range to support, and can be added to the attack if the player desires.

quote:

b) Land and Air units with a gold triangle attack at full combat value but will not be available to suport any other attacks in range.

Correct. They are directly assigned to this specific attack. They provide full support to it but are unavailable to support any other attacks.

quote:

c) Air units no extra icons attack at reduced strength and are available to support othetr units. Why don't these have a red cross through them like land units, is there a difference i am missing?

This is correct. Air (and artillery) in the support box without the red cross, but not committed to a specific attack, will support at half strength (at least until they go into reorg). (Artillery will so support only if they meet cooperation requirements).

quote:

2) Units in the 6 attack boxes
Units are either attacking (gold triangle and bronze outline) or doing nothing.

HOWEVER what about Art/Werfer/HQ units in these combat boxes? You can commit them BUT:
* It doesn't seem to change the total attack value that is displayed
* If they are somehow supporting are they using their indirect fire and not taking casualties or are they in the trenches with the grunts?

many thanks

Adjacent ranged units can now (as of 3.4) support rather than assault. This was a new feature in 3.4 and we didn't get the Attack Planner part fixed up just right. Unfortunately, when supporting from adjacent hexes, their contribution doesn't get added to the Planner's numbers. You'll have to figure it in your head. Their support does get added to the combat itself, though.

As to whether they support or assault, that is determined by what fraction of their AP is from ranged equipment: If >50%, then they support; if less, then they assault. Note that you can't tell which they will do within the Planner - but on the main map, if you move the cursor over the enemy unit, their movement path will show an arrow if they will assault, and a crosshair if they will support (you need to have movement paths "floating" to see this).

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 7/2/2012 3:35:56 PM >

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 4
RE: Combat question - understanding the "Plan for ... - 7/2/2012 3:41:06 PM   
sanderz

thanks for clearing that up - much appreciated

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Combat question - understanding the "Plan for attack" box Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI