Matrix Games Forums

Ageod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new update
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Alternate Placename Fonts and Bitmaps

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Alternate Placename Fonts and Bitmaps Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Alternate Placename Fonts and Bitmaps - 7/2/2012 7:20:41 AM   
sanderz

Hi (again )

I want to show the factory (etc) icons on the map and have edited the "opart 3 Fonts.ini" by adding:
[bitmaps]
<1bitmap1
<1bitmap2
<1bitmap3
<1bitmap4
<1bitmap5
<1bitmap6

but don't see anything on the map

a) Is the above the right format in the right file?

b) do i need to move the graphics from the altgraphics folder to the graphics folder?

c) as an example of one of the graphics i want to display the filename is mapOptional1.bmp - is this the file that should show up by adding "<1bitmap1" to the "opart 3 Fonts.ini" file?

d) I assume this works on any map (particualrly on Directive21).

Many thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Alternate Placename Fonts and Bitmaps - 7/2/2012 3:55:06 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanderz

Hi (again )

I want to show the factory (etc) icons on the map and have edited the "opart 3 Fonts.ini" by adding:
[bitmaps]
<1bitmap1
<1bitmap2
<1bitmap3
<1bitmap4
<1bitmap5
<1bitmap6

but don't see anything on the map

a) Is the above the right format in the right file?

b) do i need to move the graphics from the altgraphics folder to the graphics folder?

c) as an example of one of the graphics i want to display the filename is mapOptional1.bmp - is this the file that should show up by adding "<1bitmap1" to the "opart 3 Fonts.ini" file?

d) I assume this works on any map (particualrly on Directive21).

Many thanks

Wow! Way off track! You do not add anything to the fonts file. You do not move the graphics (unless you want to make your own versions).

Here's the text on the bitmaps from the "What's New":

9. Alternate Placename Fonts and Bitmaps:
“#1”-“#3” in a placename selects the alternate Placename font 1-3. There are three optional placename fonts in addition to the standard placename font. The actual fonts are set in the “Opart 3 fonts.ini” file.
“<1”-“<9” in a placename selects the mapOptional1-9 bitmap. You can select multiple bitmaps. (There are nine placename bitmaps provided in the Altgraphics folder – designers can make their own if they prefer).
Examples:
“#1Font1” will display ”Font1” on the map in the PlacenameFont1 style.
“<1bitmap1” will display mapOptional1.bmp and “bitmap1” on the map in the standard font.
“#2<1<3Manpower Factory” will display mapOptional1.bmp, mapOptional3.bmp, and “Manpower Factory” on the map in PlacenameFont2 style.

So, let's say you want to add the "factory" bitmap to a location. In that location's placename you add "<1" at the front of the name. After that comes the location's name - let's say it's "MOSCOW". Then the full entry for the placename at that location would be "<1MOSCOW". That will display the name "MOSCOW" and the factory bitmap in that location.

Furthermore, let's say that you want that location's name to use the large font. In that location's placename you add "#1" at the front of the name. After that comes the bitmap code (<1) and its name (MOSCOW). So the full entry would be "#1<1MOSCOW". That will display the name "MOSCOW" in the large font with the factory bitmap in that location. (Actually, it doesn't matter whether the font or bitmap code comes first or second).

If you'll look at the placenames in my "Soviet Union 1941" scenario in the editor, you'll see how I coded it there.

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 2
RE: Alternate Placename Fonts and Bitmaps - 7/2/2012 4:26:09 PM   
sanderz

off track - and lost in the wilderness

in my (rather feeble) defence - nowhere in the section you quoted does it say you do this in the editor, in my naivety i just saw reference to the ini file and assumed if you coded it in there it automatically picked up all the locations with the various resources and displayed the appropriate symbol

i think i'll give this a miss as i am not familiar with using game editors, and will just go by the place names with asterisks (in Directive 21) to show me where enemy resources are

however, if its a quick answer (don't want to waste your time) how would you tell that the hex had a manpower/factory/etc resource in order to know to place an icon there

once again many thanks for your patience in answering all my questions

cheers

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3
RE: Alternate Placename Fonts and Bitmaps - 7/2/2012 7:02:17 PM   
shunwick

quote:

however, if its a quick answer (don't want to waste your time) how would you tell that the hex had a manpower/factory/etc resource in order to know to place an icon there

sanderz,

It's for the scenario designer to decide. He can choose any location he wishes. Just adding the icon does nothing other than give a visual clue to the importance of the location. In the Event Editor, the designer can tie in all manner of effects if such a location is captured.

For now, I would advise that you leave the editor alone until you have more experience with the game. Once you become comfortable with it then you can begin working in the editor. When you are ready to learn more about the editor, begin by examining existing scenarios to become famiiar with how other designers work. This is particularly true for the event editor.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 4
RE: Alternate Placename Fonts and Bitmaps - 7/2/2012 7:51:48 PM   
sanderz

thanks for that - more curiosity than anyhting else (like to understand how things work)

you'll be pleased to know i won't be messing with the editor so no more questions on that front

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 5
RE: Alternate Placename Fonts and Bitmaps - 7/2/2012 9:01:58 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

off track - and lost in the wilderness

in my (rather feeble) defence - nowhere in the section you quoted does it say you do this in the editor, in my naivety i just saw reference to the ini file and assumed if you coded it in there it automatically picked up all the locations with the various resources and displayed the appropriate symbol

Hmm. Actually, that's not an unreasonable mistake to make. I should have explicitly stated in the What's New that the feature was an editor feature. This is the problem with writing about something you're intimately familiar with - it's hard to see it from the view of the uninitiated. I'll try to be clearer next time. I knew there must have been some sort of major misunderstanding. I was scratching my head about that. Thanks for clearing it up.

For sure, the bitmaps must be entered by the designer in the editor in each placename he wants them to appear in. And there is no way to know where they need to go other than from the event list of the scenario itself.

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Alternate Placename Fonts and Bitmaps Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI