Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Planning

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Planning Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Planning - 7/6/2012 4:31:53 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Where EXACTLY is the Indian Line-of-Death? Course--Landing on the West Coast will free-up yet MORE Allied troops...NOT GOOD.

Nevermind. Scratch the above. We are strictly speaking of a Tactical Move and not a Strategic knockout of India.

If my memory serves correctly it is here. I do know that rader was in Surat before it activated, so it's past that point.

Correct. Scoodra doesn't activate it. You better check with the new map if the new bases north of the LOD (which is exactly where obvert has placed it) do activate the emergency reinforcements.
i repeat: the worst part of them is the 72 spitfires that suddenly can spring at Karachi...beware!

I believe that changed in a Beta patch!

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 61
Dec 12, 1941 - 7/6/2012 9:53:47 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
Dec 12, 1941

Pretty positive turn today with no unexpected developments.

North Pacific
Fast TF (8 DD) sent to Adak to grab that base.

Begin loading the Kawafuto Brigade and two Base Forces for Attu.

Northern Fleet HQ headed for Paramushiro Jima.

Central Pacific
KB moves south towards Johnston. It was not spotted this turn so that is positive.

Guards Brigade loading at Midway for Wake.

Divert the Wake IF for Truk to link-up with a 2nd SNLF Assault Brigade. The two of them will take care of Rabaul.

Order my two CVEs to Truk.

South Pacific
Take Kavieng.

Looks like he tried to hit my shipping at Finschhaven and missed. A TF of 3-4 ships was spotted in the hex but my ships are long gone.

Philippines
Landing at Antimonan.

Sweep Clark with 33 Zero and fight 31 P-40. Good exchange of 2 Zero for 7 Fighters.

Sweep and Attack Manila: The Sweep of 9 Zero (vs. 14 Fighters) nets 1 Zero for 5 P-40 while the bombing raid of 37 Zero and 89 Betty/Nell sinks every last ship left in Manila's Port. The Bombers sink 4 more SS, 2 S-Boat, an AP, an AS, and a PG. NICE. Will tally notes to see just how many Manila SS we've sunk to start the war.

DEI
Will take Ternate next turn.

Waiting for TF to return to Babeldoap for the thrust towards Ambon and Timor. The rest of the Battle Fleet arrives at Babeldoap (4 BB).

The Fast TF mission to Singkawang works with it falling to a 7-1 assault. Base Forces on the way...

KB-2 sweeps along the southern coast of Borneo heading for Palembang.

Malaya
No excitement. Reforming Inf Div and getting ready to head south. We're in no hurry here right now.

Port Blair FALLS to the a renewed Para Assault!

Have to wait on more as it is time to get to work...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 7/6/2012 9:54:21 PM >

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 62
Dec 13, 1942 - 7/7/2012 6:00:29 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
Dec 13, 1941

The initial flurry of landings is playing out as we set the stage for the next wave of conquests.

North Pacific
Four TF have now moved out to grab the Central and Western Aleutians. Thanks to my noble opponent Canoerebel I NEVER take this area for granted!

Central Pacific
Midway--The Imperial Guards Brigade is now fully loaded and shall move on Wake tomorrow. In an AMAZING event, Japanese ASW actually SINKS an American Fleet Boat! The USS Pompano is crippled in an early depth charge hit and forced to the surface where it is promptly sunk.

The KB is now NW of Johnston and has not been spotted. Will keep them in this area for a day or two and then rendezvous with the 4 AOs and head to a place to interpose itself between Pearl Harbor and the West Coast.

South Pacific
Engineers building and paving at Finschhaven and Kavieng. Will have a trio of SNLF Assault Brigades at Truk within 3 days and then they shall head for Rabaul and Luganville. All damaged ships have made it safely to Truk. I didn't lose a single warship but have a pair of old old CAs and a CL moderately damaged. Those Aussies put up a good fight!

Am gonna use my CVEs (Taiyo and Hosho) in a Support Role to Cover these Landings. They shall stay in the REAR and provide LRCAP over the Landing Forces. It is not my intention to use them against any American CVs. DISTANT COVER may be a better description for them!

Philippines
Antimonan falls without issue. Now have 4+ ID ashore in Luzon with 38th ID in Hong Kong soon to be joining them.

Appears he will fight at Clark. Too bad. I consider Manila the better place.

Sweep Clark and Manila losing 2 Z for about 7 P-40s.

In Mindanao it appears that my opponent has fallen back to the mountain hex in the middle of the island. I would have fought for Cagayan and used it as a bomber base but he appears to have abandoned it. Should be there in 2-3 days.

DEI
Ternate Falls and Mavis move in for Air Search.

Will begin loading the Ambon and Timor Landings in 2-3 days. Have to get everyone back to Babeldoap after their Mindanao Operations.

Land at Samarinda. We'll see if I have enough to take this base next to Balikpapan.

At Singkawang 3 Base Forces begin unloading. I have moved 27 Zero and 42 Oscars here to provide LRCAP over the TF carrying the 4th ID. It is just east of Kuching and shall near Palembang tomorrow. A Daitai from Akagi joins the LRCAP as well.

KB-2 sweeps to a position 4 hexes NW of Batavia and smacks a British DD TF pretty hard. DD Isis is hit by 3 Bombs and probably sunk while Encounter, Stronghold, and Jupiter all take at least one bomb from my Kates. This helps a bit. Another strike by Vals sinks 4 AMc at Merak. They are probably laying a Minefield. Set all Kates to bomb Palembang's AF tomorrow. I will LRCAP the AF the next day to kill any transports that are flying there.

Two days to the Palembang Landing...

Malaya
Nothing major happening.

Burma
Troops moving. Port Blair begins to have a Base Force flown in from Victoria Point.

China
Easily drive 3 Chinese Corps back into Changsha.

He has concentrated (evidently doesn't know about Hex limits) 14 units SE of Ichang and appears to be driving SE. Interesting... Perhaps this is a chance to encircle a large group of Chinese? Issue orders to begin that Operation.

SS Ops
I-4 SINKS AK Alcoa Prospector near San Juan Obispo.

Three attacks MISS!

Observations
It looks as though I am seeing a Sir Robin defense for the moment. All his troops in Malaya and the Philippines are retreating without needing to. His planes are not flying. While he is probably trying to build-up morale, it is allowing me a chance to grab things without interference or harrassment. I am sure he wants to fight. He is probably trying to figure out where and when.

My goal is to try and keep him off-balance long enough to get Palembang. This is the most important Landing in all the DEI. It MUST be taken quickly and with little damage.

I have decided to try and fixate his attention on the South Pacific. Will use the 3 SNLF Brigades and the Guards Brigade to raise HELL by driving on Luganville and Noumea. Perhaps Suva will fall into the target list as we attempt make him THINK this is where the Japanese effort is. Ceylon and Eastern India are the PRIME TARGET.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 7/7/2012 6:01:31 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 63
Allied SS - 7/10/2012 3:28:42 PM   
John 3rd

Here is a screenshot of sunk Allied SS one week into the war. I love the Manila Attack option:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 64
By Dawn's Early Light - 7/12/2012 7:41:43 AM   
John 3rd

Got Lew and I's game caught up with our AAR this afternoon and I shall try to do the same with Marbakka's and I's game tomorrow.

Here is a pleasant taste of a little surprise KNIFE fight near Timor. Always remember when the fight STARTS at 2,000 Yds the Kaigun has faaaaaar better knives then the Allies:

Maya single-handedly sinks Prince of Wales with FOUR Long Lance TTs at ranges of 2-3,000 Yds! OUTSTANDING. I lose a DD and have two CAs moderately damaged in exchange for Prince of Wales sunk, Houston hit by 5 8" shells, and Boise nailed by 5 8" and a LL TT.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 7/12/2012 7:45:07 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 65
RE: By Dawn's Early Light - 7/12/2012 1:34:33 PM   
traskott

Those japanese CAs worth even more than 1'5 allied BB each one !!! Long Lance attacks are really UBER effective...

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 66
By Dawn's Early Light - 7/12/2012 8:09:22 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
December 13-18, 1941

The war goes on. Am trying to decide what sort of opponent I am facing. Robert is playing a very cagey game. He refuses to rise to my email notes and messages. IF I get anything back it is exceedingly cryptic. The play style is taking some getting used to. He is playing a combination (it appears) of Sir Robin on land and in the air while he is somewhat aggressive at sea. He has been surprisingly been surprised at my level of aggressive play but what he might not realize is a Sir Robin ONLY SERVES to speed up what I can do. This is something fundamental about the game that always confounds me with Allied players. The Allied player gets 4-6 times EVERYTHING the Japanese player gets so why not FIGHT?!! Any success cannot be replaced easily by the Japanese side. Ahhh, well...

I KNOW he is pulling his CVs out. This is a deep gut feeling of mine and I follow my gut. His other AAR tells me enough to know how he likes to operate with them all together. My guess is he has pulled all three of them off the board effectively. Wager that I will only see them when he has at least 4 Fleet CVs and they shall be operating together. Also wager they will appear in the IO or in the Deep South Pacific. If he picks the IO then that might just be perfect. Mark this day. I predict a major carrier battle in the IO by late-April.

We have had lots of action and my SS continue a phenomenal run of attacks. Regional Reports:

North Pacific
Well...interesting...my Fast TF of 7 DDs heading for Adak runs into an Allied TF. The DDs make short work of an AM and 4 YP but then refuse to land their troops. Order them back to Paramushiro Jima and will commence aggressive patrolling of this area. The Attu Landing shall proceed and will bring the Kawafuto Brigade and an SNLF Assault Brigade together to take Adak. Can certainly assume he has moved troops there and two Brigades should be enough to get a nice VP bonus!

Central Pacific
Have no clue as to where Enterprise is. If she is anywhere west of Johnston then she would have been spotted. KB moves down and holds an area of sea near Johnston and south of it for two days. While there, they catch an ASW TF and sink the Selfridge and 2 PC. Selfridge is a nice bonus. Back in my old Iron Bottom Sound playing days that was the BEST surface class the Americans possessed. Nice to sink her.

My Central Pacific strategy is forming up. Move my 4 AOs down to Midway to replenish the CVs. They make it to Midway on the 18th and refuel. He is operating a bunch of DD TF as well as other TF between PH and the West Coast. Am going to launch a raid out here to make him think that Hawaii might be on the target list. Be nice to bag some shipping. After that Operation, CarDiv2 and CarDiv5 will move south to support the Thrust towards New Caledonia.

The Imperial Guards Brigade--as expected--easily takes Wake on the 17th. Reload the troops and they head for Luganville.

South Pacific
The defeat sustained near Rabaul slows my Operations here for about 10 days. An SNLF Assault Brigade arrives from Saipan on the 15th and it links up with another Brigade waiting there. They depart and shall land at Rabaul on the 20th. I expect Allied cruisers to re-appear and so my 2 CVE are present and they shall jab SE of Rabaul and take a shot at any ships operating within the Coral Sea. My plans had been to use the CVEs more defensively but I need coverage and some offensive value so they are forced into it. Once again, this pre-supposes that the US CVs are NOT in the area. If they are then this could be a disaster.

Once Rabaul falls then I shall advance down the Solomons and leap to Luganville and Noumea. The Imperial Guards get Luganville while the 2 SNLF Brigades are tasked with New Caledonia.

My troops from Finschhaven are about to Lae so they'll take that pretty fast. The AF there is about to go to Lvl-2 and I have some Kates and Zeros waiting for that. Land at Gasmata on the 17th. Don't want to allow any retreat out of Rabaul so I need to grab the other set f bases really fast.

Philippines
Sir Robin in effect. His troops are split between Manila and Clark. Mistake. I have 6 Inf Div in Luzon now and they will take Manila first and--hopefully--not allow a retreat so this can be a fairly quick campaign.

The Philippines are the key to later strategy in the IO. A quick fall opens all those veterans to go elsewhere.

Mindanao looks great. Two Brigades/Regiments are now at Cagayan and will move to the interior.

DEI
The KB-2 Covers the Palembang Landing. The carriers waylay a number of enemy ships as they take position NE of Palembang. The Landing is TOTALLY uncontested! I comment on this in an email and he says that Fortress Palembang is a mistake. Heck. If that is how he feels then GREAT! I get the base without losing anything. Refineries are intact (THANK GOD). The 4th ID splits and pursues the survivors. (Should note that in the same email regarding Palembang, I make the comment that if you are not defending Palembang THEN you mist be doing a Fortress Timor strategy. This gets no comment whatsoever which tells me it is probably true.) As soon as the lack of fight appears at Palembang, I send KB-2 to Cam Rahn Bay to replenish and get new airframes. Once they are re-provisioned then they shall head SE to the Celebes, meet 5 8,000 Ton AOs and penetrate the Barrier, and go hunting.

Take Semarang and base Bettys there with some Zeros for CAP.

The big action occurs on Dec 18th when CAs Ashigara and Maya plus 2 DDs run into an augmented Force Z. When I saw Prince of Wales, Repulse, Houston, Boise and 4 DDs, I had a definite sinking feeling! Didn't happen. The Japanese CAs PUNCH serious holes in everyone. Each CA takes some damage (around 30 or so SYS and/or Flot) but they sink the BB and seriously damage Houston and Boise. There are 4 BB covering the Ambon Landing and I send them (in pairs) to try and intercept the survivors. Maybe the bag limit can be reached with a quick move.

Land at Ambon on the 18th and it shall fall tomorrow. Air Flotilla on the way and Miss Betty shall move in.

Malaya
He has totally ceded all of the peninsula to me. CRAZY. I only have a single TK Reg coming down from Singora. Right now a Cub Scout patrol can take everything north of Johore Bharu...

Two Inf Div reform at Alor Star and move SW towards Temoluh.

Land at and take Kuantan on the 18th. Will move in Zeros from Formosa to begin Sweeping Singapore and will hit the Port ASAP.

Burma
He appears to want to fight south of the Irrawaddy SE of Pegu. I LIKE this choice. The Imperial Guards, 55h ID, and 4 TK Reg are moving in. He won't see all this for another week or so and by then it will be too late.

Port Blair gains a Base Force and is digging in. Will mine the base from my 4 ML SS.

China
He takes Ichang.

I drive on Changsha and he places a bunch of troops there. GOOD. My intention is to encircle the town. We'll see if that works or not.

Am gathering troops up north to take the Central Plains.

SS Ops
12-14 Ro-63 SINKS AK Chois at Port Moresby
12-14 I-3 SINKS TK Gulf Pride at Noumea
12-15 I-1 SINKS AP Lycaon AND AKL Argus at PM and bags troops.
12-17 I-21 SINKS DD Bagley near PH. LOVE IT when the hunter becomes the HUNTED!
12-17 Ro-62 hits a mine and sinks
12-18 I-3 SINKS AKL Karuah
12-18 I-24 hits AP Bloemfonein at Luganville for casualties

LOTS of shipping in the Coral Sea. It looks like he is bringing troops in for a forward defense of Luganville and Noumea. EXCELLENT! More victory points...

Apologize for all the spelling errors. I wrote this pretty quickly and didn't get a chance to proofread. Think things are better now.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 7/12/2012 9:00:54 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 67
RE: By Dawn's Early Light - 7/19/2012 10:15:35 PM   
Mac Linehan

John 3rd -

I really appreciate your AAR style; expressing the overall plan or counter move, then a step by step narrative of how it is implemented in game.

While I feel that I am technically competent in handling most aspects of the game, i.e. forming Sub TF and assigning patrol zones, setting up cap over my CV's, or planning resource convoys to the Home Islands; I lack the sheer game time against a cunning human opponent - where you learn quickly - most ricky tic or die trying.

Please keep it up. Each AAR in this forum has it's own learning / teaching points; yours is "Imperial Expansion 101 - Life in the Fast Lane"... <grin>

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 7/19/2012 10:17:19 PM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 68
RE: By Dawn's Early Light - 7/20/2012 5:41:49 AM   
John 3rd

Thank you for the thoughts.

Many people think that my style of play is reckless and--to a certain extent--they are right. My version of expansion is to push and keep the initiative for AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. Doing this requires some sort of over-arching vision for the campaign FROM DAY ONE (see my AAR versus Lew in Racing the Sunrise where it had been decided from the get-go to head for a total assault upon Australia), ability to keep your opponent off-balance by masking your overall plan, and be able to roll with the surprises (good and bad) that crop up when fighting a human opponent.

Just got back from a few days at our cabin in North Park and had to time to completely think through the planning for THIS campaign. When I get some time (am scheduled for work a BUNCH the next few days) I'll gladly layout my plans for totally confusing my opponent while aiming to land a smashing attack elsewhere.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 69
RE: By Dawn's Early Light - 7/20/2012 9:03:49 AM   
Commander Cody

John 3rd: Nice brutally agressive play. This AAR has some good nuggets of wisdom for the AFBs among us. I also haven't put the time into your other AAR that it deserves but will try to catch up. All of Oz? Wow.

I was hoping for a Karachi surprise in this one. Maybe you'll pull a Greyjoy and surprise us.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 70
RE: By Dawn's Early Light - 7/20/2012 1:23:55 PM   
cavalry

John,

I am playing your RA 4.6 2 day turns and almost at Feb 42 - reading this with interest. If you like for your interest I can send you my turn.

(in reply to Commander Cody)
Post #: 71
RE: By Dawn's Early Light - 7/21/2012 4:12:57 PM   
John 3rd

Am always interested in seeing another person's perspective on things.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to cavalry)
Post #: 72
RE: By Dawn's Early Light - 7/21/2012 4:16:02 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

John 3rd: Nice brutally agressive play. This AAR has some good nuggets of wisdom for the AFBs among us. I also haven't put the time into your other AAR that it deserves but will try to catch up. All of Oz? Wow.

I was hoping for a Karachi surprise in this one. Maybe you'll pull a Greyjoy and surprise us.

Cheers,
CC

Thanks. Don't plan on the whole India assault whatsoever. India scares me. Australia worked out great with Lew but I think India is one big tar baby.

We just completed the 12-23 turn. Need to do an update BADLY but going up to the mountains last week and now work is kicking my BUTT badly.

Dawned on me that we have 3 weeks until school starts. WHERE has the summer gone? The brightside will mean personal time goes up with the boys in school and so I can devote serious time to the AARs and doing some writing. This will be the goal starting August 14th.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Commander Cody)
Post #: 73
RE: By Dawn's Early Light - 7/21/2012 5:04:39 PM   
janh

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd
Thanks. Don't plan on the whole India assault whatsoever. India scares me. Australia worked out great with Lew but I think India is one big tar baby.

Do you recall the Q-Ball vs. Cannonfodder AAR that ended about a year ago? IJ almost had succeeded to take all of India, if I recall correctly it just failed because the IJA reached Karachi about a week too late, after the British reinforcements. It seemed to have been possible with a little different planning (and/or luck) and use of naval assets to outflank the retreating Commonwealth units and cut of the convoy routes to the Mid-East and South Africa. Also invading Socorta (or whatever this island near Africa) would have seemed to make sense there.

All very much like cutting off OZ by outflanking and landing on the SE and SW coasts. Prerequisites would be also roughly the same, sinking Allied CV. I guess India also is more a possibility that can be jumped if circumstances are good and strategic plans agree with it, but you are probably right that going for it outright is ... very ambitious.
The garrison requirements are immense and unlike OZ might leave very little to also operate offensively elsewhere while the IJN still rules. It also doesn't mean much as a buffer zone against the American offensives later, so it may be purely interesting for industry and resources as well as VP. Kind of a one-shot strategy, perhaps.

< Message edited by janh -- 7/21/2012 5:07:46 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 74
RE: By Dawn's Early Light - 7/22/2012 6:09:14 AM   
John 3rd

I want the industry and resources in eastern India and that is where we shall go. We'll hit there only AFTER I try to convince my noble opponent that I am coming for Hawaii...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 75
RE: By Dawn's Early Light - 7/24/2012 7:02:29 PM   
John 3rd

Sorry for no Postings. My AAR with Lew takes precedence right now for writing time. School starts August 14th and I shall then have the time to keep up two AARs.

Marbakka and I are at Dec 24th and I just sprung a nasty surprise on him hitting a North Pacific bound TF with the KB about 20 hexes North of PH! 38 Zero, 46 Val, and 52 kate sink CL's Raleigh and Detroit, 4 AM and damage an AVD and DD.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 76
Dec 19-26, 1941 - 7/26/2012 4:51:33 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
December 19-26, 1941

OK. Got some time to write in this AAR. Cannot wait for school to start so I can have a bit more time to my writing.

The war proceeds fairly smoothly on all fronts during this week of gametime. Am still trying to get a figure on my opponent's style and playing philosophy. See all types of things that confuse me but I have to admit that I am not complaining about it. Will detail as I move through the regions.

North Pacific
Troops continue filling Attu. Have an SNLF Brigade and Kawafuto Brigade at Attu presently. They prep for Adak. Will wait until the bad weather clears and will then attack. Have ordered a couple of Fast TF to grab all islands through Amchitka so I can build more AF. Looks like this could be a fiarly hot theatre with his reinforcement attempt from Pearl. Have decided to pull a pair of CAs and a more DDs to serve up here as well as plan to earmark a few decent air units for naval attack purposes.

Central Pacific
The KB (CarDIv2 and CarDIv5) rest at Midway for a couple of days and refuel from 4 AOs. They depart NNE to move into the Allied LOC. The ships are not spotted and they find a large reinforcement convoy heading north (towards Alaska) on the 24th. The four CVs launch 38 Zero, 46 Val, and 52 Kate at the target. They find and sink CLs Detroit and Raleigh, 4 AM, and an AVD. They damage a DD as well as a couple of other support ships. NICE! He obviously wants to fight up north.

The KB swings further ENE and will move towards the West Coast to see if a convoy can be found there.

PLANNING: I was sending the Imperial Guards towards Luganville but have decided to threaten something more important. The convoy turns and goes to Jaliut to unload and reload before setting out for the Line Islands. It is now my intention to make it APPEAR that the thrust for the game will be Hawaii. Midway fell, Wake falls, and now I shall take Palmyra and Christmas.

This is all decoy and bluff to make him keep his CVs in the Pacific while I move EVERYTHING into the IO for the Landings there. We'll see if he takes the bait. Will order 4 ID in the Philippines to begin preparations for Hawaii, four other ID will prep for New Zealand (a place I've never gone after in AE), and NONE of my real assault ID will prep for India. To be safe I will order 3-4 ID in Manchuria to begin prep for points along the Indian Coast so it APPEARS I am planning here. Marbakka is smart enough--I HOPE-- to know which ID are active and which are in Manchuria. He should see this intel and think--"HAA that India planning is a decoy!" I'll use the fake decoy to mask the real attack.

South Pacific
Active movement in this region.

After Rabaul falls, I work to consolidate my units. Am now building up AF at Finschhaven, Gasmata, and Rabaul.

The CVEs retire to Rabaul, refuel, and move down the southern edge of the Solomons prowling for Allied cruisers.

Land at Lunga with a Naval Guard unit on the 25th. Take it on the 26th.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 8/12/2012 6:50:42 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 77
RE: Dec 19-26, 1941 - 7/26/2012 5:25:43 PM   
John 3rd

My Posting was RUDELY stopped by Michael calling. Will get more written later in the day (now that the kids are home from swimming lessons) when nap time arrives.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 78
Dec 19-26, 1941 - 8/12/2012 6:50:07 AM   
John 3rd

As mentioned in my AAR with Lew, I have been pretty busy getting the family ready for school to start. We spent most of last week in the mountains where both of the boys caught a few Brook Trout. My eldest is pretty convinced that the 8" Brookie he caught was actually a TEN FOOT long Great White Shark! Fun to watch them when they are young!

Am WAAAAAAAY far behind with this AAR and am not sure how to catch it up. We just got the January 4th turn done so this puts most of the war at two weeks out of date within the AAR. Gonna try to update North--Central--South Pacific right now and then do a two week general update everywhere else.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 79
Dec 27-Jan 4, 1942 - 8/12/2012 7:34:39 AM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
Dec 27--January 4, 1942

The decoy operation around Hawaii has apparently worked fairly well and is about to jump to a new level as I shall land at Palmyra January 5th.

North Pacific
After taking Amchatka (30th), things up North are fairly calm. Attu continues to develop base-wise and a good amount of Construction Units are landing at both locations. Right now the Kawafuto Brigade and an SNLF Assault Brigade are at Attu prepping for Operations to the east. Need to get AFs to at least 2 before I can do much more so this will have to wait a bit. Plan to get plenty of supplies up there and add some naval assets to the region before moving...

Central Pacific
The KB pummels that north-bound TF and then slowly moves west to Midway for refueling. Once they drain three AOs dry, the TF moves east again and works to get close enough to hit an ASW TF working the area. This works well and pummel a group on New Year's Day 1942. The CVs launch a killer strike of 35 Z, 42 V, 20 K. The attack froce sinks a DD and DMS leaving two more DDs in sinking condition. NICE!

My Palmyra Invasion Force advances from the Marshalls and will land on January 5th. KB swings down to Cover the landing and catches 3 AK east of Johnston on the 4th. Down go the AK and the CVs will be in position to protect the landing tomorrow. Once Palmyra falls the Imperial Guards Brigade will immediately re-load and take Christmas. KB has 3 AOs waiting NW of Palmyra and will refuel then sweep east and do a circle around Hawaii ending up at Midway. My follow-on troops will have reinforced Wake, Midway, and the Line Islands so KB will be freed up to move in a new direction starting Feb 1st. Figure they redeploy to DEI to support the India Operations. Each of the above listed Bases shall get a Base Force, CD unit and Naval Guard as garrison troops. This will make things strong enough to require a serious assault but not too costly for me to lose.

The goal is to make Marbakka THINK I am coming for Hawaii. To reflect that I order 4 ID in the Philippines to begin prepping for several points in Hawaii. Where they prep is irrelevant since I plan to land in India PRIOR to the landing bonus ending.

South Pacific
Man---I don't know what to say here. We left off with taking Lunga and having a reinforcement convoy consisting of CA Furutaka, several DDs, 2 AMCs and some AKs hauling a large Base Force to Lunga. My pair of CVEs were riding shotgun protecting the TF from potential trouble. That trouble arrives and creates a WILD--AND--CRAZY set of days down here! The 27th STARTS with my CVEs (Taiyo and Hosho) stumble onto an Allied TF consisting of 3 CL and 4 DD. CRAP! Each CVE takes a single shell hit while several Long Lances end the life of CL Perth. Luckily no more damage occurs and breath a sigh of relief. This thought immediately ENDS when I see CAs Australia, Pensacola, and Indianapolis, a CL and 3 DD appear attacking my convoy. HOLY CATS! I have a tiger by the tail. The ensuing battles see Furutaka, 2 AMC, and 7 AK sunk while Australia takes a pair of bombs from Taiyo's Vals and Pensacola is hit by 6 shells from the escorts protecting the convoy. End Result: Lose the entire Base Force!

The 28th sees more Japanese ships move into the area since I know he cannot have much AMMO left on his ships. This is true as CA Kako, CL Nagara, and 6 DD engage is a long series of engagements throughout the night and morning. The Japanese lose DD Asanagi for DDs Stuart and Kennison. CL Adelaide is crippled by a Long Lance and the 3 Allied CAs are hit by numerous shells. Hosho is damaged enough that I send her to Rabaul while I send Taiyo south to hit the damaged warships.

December 29th begins to see the Allied losses mount as a STF of 3 CL and 4 DD meet a limping CA Indianapolis and pummel her with over a dozen hits and a Torp. She is quite possibly sunk. Taiyo launches one strike of 4 Zero and 10 Val that then nails Pensacola with 3 bombs. NICE! Possibly sunk. The Allied shipping is now starting to get close to Aussieland so I withdraw the STF and hope for one more good day from Taiyo.

I get that day on the 30th as Taiyo launches two strikes that sinks CL Adelaide and places bombs on both Australia and Pensacola. Order the CVE home since she has exactly NO SORTIES left.

Results of the Battle of Coral Sea:
Japan:
SUNK--CA Furutaka, DD Asagani, 2 AMC, and 7 AK. DAMAGED: 1 CL, 3 DDs, and CVE Hosho (Sys 18, Flot 21--NONE serious).
Allies:
SUNK--At least one, perhaps two CAs (Australia and Pensacola), 2 CLs (Perth and Adelaide), and 2 DDs. DAMAGED: 1 CA (Indianapolis), 2 CL,and 3 DDs.

Looks pretty favorable but we'll have to see what happens past this. Things calm down for the remainder of the time covered in this Update.

Will cover the Philippines, DEI, Malaya, Burma, and China with the next report.

SS OPs: (Dec 19-Jan 4th)
12-19 I-162 SINKS an AKL off Rangoon
12-21 I-24 hits AK Meigs at Luganville
12-24 I-8 SINKS AP Katoomba with FOUR TTs at Pago Pago
12-25 I-168 hits AKL Atlantic near Pago Pago
12-26 I-168 hits AK Andrea Luckenbach at Savaii
12-27 I-9 hits AP Maui near San Lius Obispo
12-28 I-2 hits AP Republic at Belep Isle, I-169 SINKS AK Andrea Luckenback at Savaii, I-9 SINKS AK Alcoa Pennant at San Luis Obispo
12-30 I-1 SINKS AKL Nicarta AND AKL Tamara off Noumea, I-16 SINKS AK Lorrain off Noumea
1-1 I-24 SINKS AK Peshawar at Luganville

My SS continue to have a record-setting sinking and damaged ships performance. Pretty impressive work so far. Will put together a comprehensive log of the SS performance to date.

Bed Time! Will try to finish the other regions tomorrow.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 8/12/2012 7:35:25 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 80
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Planning Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI