Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A few general questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> A few general questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A few general questions - 7/1/2012 3:39:34 PM   
sanderz

Hi

I have been playing around in some of the small scenarios to try and get the hang of things and came up with yet more questions - hope you can help:

1) CONVERTING RAILROADS

a) Just want to check that this works as "one hex per turn (max) for each railroad unit". The reason for asking is that this seems slow or am i missing something?

b) Any tips on maximising rail conversion? e.g. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that other units in the hex inprove the chances and that for hexes that the rail unit cannnot move into it just needs to be adjacent provided there is any sort of land unit in the unreachable terrain.

2) SCENARIO BRIEFINGS
Anyway to print these off or do they have to be viewed in the very small ingame screen?

3) GAME UTILITIES
Is there any way to extract game data into a spreadsheet on a turn by turn basis e.g. replacements etc.

thanks

sanderz
Post #: 1
RE: A few general questions - 7/1/2012 4:19:04 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanderz

Hi

I have been playing around in some of the small scenarios to try and get the hang of things and came up with yet more questions - hope you can help:

1) CONVERTING RAILROADS

a) Just want to check that this works as "one hex per turn (max) for each railroad unit". The reason for asking is that this seems slow or am i missing something?

b) Any tips on maximising rail conversion? e.g. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that other units in the hex inprove the chances and that for hexes that the rail unit cannnot move into it just needs to be adjacent provided there is any sort of land unit in the unreachable terrain.

2) SCENARIO BRIEFINGS
Anyway to print these off or do they have to be viewed in the very small ingame screen?

3) GAME UTILITIES
Is there any way to extract game data into a spreadsheet on a turn by turn basis e.g. replacements etc.

thanks

sanderz

1) 10.4.6 railroad damage
Any Railroads in an enemy-controlled location may be damaged when a friendly unit enters the location. The chance that this will happen is dependent on the Scenario. Damaged (broken) Rail-roads may not be used for Railroad Movement.

2) Check the Scenario folder for the accompanying documentation *see attachment*

3) For statistics, scenario information I recommend to download and install Andy's Scenario Viewer

To get familiar with the bits & bops of the combat mechanisms, movement, ZOC, etc. I recommend my Tutorial '41 scenario, including detailed screenshots and step-by-step instructions. You find it here.

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Visit the Gefechtsstand!

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 2
RE: A few general questions - 7/1/2012 5:02:37 PM   
sanderz

thanks for taking the time to provide the links - am downloading now

on the subject of railroad repair you commented on how they were damaged (thanks) but i was wanting a bit more info on the repair side of things (were my comments assumptions on this correct?)

cheers

sanderz

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 3
RE: A few general questions - 7/1/2012 6:11:18 PM   
shunwick

sanderz,

Yes, rail repair units will repair one hex per turn. There is, I believe, an automatic rail repair rate of 1 location per turn that is in additon to what your rail repair units can do and the scenario designer is able to increase the automatic repair rate so that, overall, there is no practical standard rate.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 4
RE: A few general questions - 7/1/2012 8:12:15 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanderz

Hi

1) CONVERTING RAILROADS

A RR unit can only repair one hex per turn at most. The designer can provide copious amounts of RR units, though, as he sees fit.

quote:

Other units don't help rail repair. The rail repair unit must be in the hex to be repaired.

One tip: Be sure to make repair efforts at the start of the turn with as few MPs expended as possible - engineer/rail repair factors are scaled by fraction of MPs remaining.

One other possible help is to subdivide the rail repair unit - it may have had an excess (>100%) ability. In that case, the amount beyond 100% would have gone to waste. However, if, after subdivision, the sub-units have less than 33% ability, then there was no excess ability, and it will perform better recombined.

quote:

2) SCENARIO BRIEFINGS

Some designers provide a document that contains that - check the scenario's associated documents (you should do that anyway, of course). But, if not, you can go into the editor and copy the Scenario Briefing to a word/text program that can print the briefing out.

quote:

3) GAME UTILITIES

There is a user made program that displays loss data. You can search for it on this site. I don't know of any for replacements.

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 5
RE: A few general questions - 7/1/2012 8:15:25 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

sanderz,

There is, I believe, an automatic rail repair rate of 1 location per turn that is in additon to what your rail repair units can do and the scenario designer is able to increase the automatic repair rate so that, overall, there is no practical standard rate.

The scenario designer can set that auto repair to zero as well as increasing it. This should be noted by the designer in his briefing.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 6
RE: A few general questions - 7/1/2012 8:21:33 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

There is a user made program that displays loss data. You can search for it on this site. I don't know of any for replacements.

That program can be found on this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2711227

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 7
RE: A few general questions - 7/2/2012 5:50:34 AM   
sanderz

thanks all - much appreciated

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> A few general questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI