Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & Shot
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ideas to combat spam

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Ideas to combat spam Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 2:26:09 AM   
Gary Childress

Spam is getting a little more lively these days. Perhaps there are ways we can all cooperatively help Matrix combat it.

FIRST: Wouldn't it be better to not even click on a thread that we know is spam? I imagine the spammers tend to judge the effectiveness of their junk from the number of hits a thread receives. The more we click on their thread and respond the more they'll keep posting. That's probably why they spend so much time creating new threads instead of posting in existing threads, to track hit counts. "Go die in hell spammer" doesn't seem to have any effect on them, in fact it probably just makes their day to have us click on their thread that much more and I know it makes me even more curious to see a spam post with a dozen replies behind it. If I can't read them by hovering my mouse over the first part then it becomes more difficult to tell if it's a legitimate thread or not. So I'm thinking we should all try another approach and just do our best to ignore threads that appear to be spam.

SECOND: If you are a legitimate new member making your first or second post, it would probably be advisable to begin your post with something like "Hi my name is [insert memeber name] and I would like to introduce myself." or else post in a way that clearly involves some thought and consideration toward the forum so that we can tell you are legit. Basically if you can't make yourself sound legit in the part of the thread that hovering the mouse reveals then I for one will probably ignore your thread.

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Favorites and/or other Great Games from Matrix :

1. War in the Pacific/ Admiral's Edition
2. Panzer Corps
3. Commander: Europe at War
4. John Tiller's Campaign Series
Post #: 1
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 3:21:27 AM   
danlongman

These forums are but a small part of my life online. I find the anti-spam efforts much more annoying than the spammers themselves.
Sometimes the convoluted attempts at english are so amusing I find myself chuckling for some time afterwards. Then there is soojan.
In short spam does not bother me. If others wish to mobilise in an anti-robospam crusade..... well I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do to keep
them braincells banging together. I have found in the past that getting a girlfriend, especially if you are already in a relationship, will put things in perspective.

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to Gary Childress)
Post #: 2
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 3:37:17 AM   
wodin

I think maybe it would be best if no one replied to it. I know from my forum it's alot easier admin wise if no one replies to them.

Spam is annoying when it fills up a forum, also pretty much every forum people get peed off with it not just here. It can bring up old threads and interrupt others. It's as annoying as that crap mail you get in the post. Or fill your email box with so your forever trying to get rid of it. It's also annoying for the Matrix admins aswell. SO yes Spam is a major annoyance whether you like it or not danlongman why on earth you find those complaining about it annoying and prefer the spam strikes me as odd, though I believe you've already said you have mates who are spammers, they really do need to find a life.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 3
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 3:41:53 AM   
Gary Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: danlongman

These forums are but a small part of my life online. I find the anti-spam efforts much more annoying than the spammers themselves.
Sometimes the convoluted attempts at english are so amusing I find myself chuckling for some time afterwards. Then there is soojan.
In short spam does not bother me. If others wish to mobilise in an anti-robospam crusade..... well I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do to keep
them braincells banging together. I have found in the past that getting a girlfriend, especially if you are already in a relationship, will put things in perspective.

I'm simply suggesting that people NOT reward spammers. If that is annoying to you then I really don't know what to tell you champ.

EDIT: Other than take a hike and go try to find a normal conversation on usenet somewhere.

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 7/1/2012 3:45:22 AM >

2. Panzer Corps

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 4
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 3:46:27 AM   
Gary Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I think maybe it would be best if no one replied to it. I know from my forum it's alot easier admin wise if no one replies to them.

Spam is annoying when it fills up a forum, also pretty much every forum people get peed off with it not just here. It can bring up old threads and interrupt others. It's as annoying as that crap mail you get in the post. Or fill your email box with so your forever trying to get rid of it. It's also annoying for the Matrix admins aswell. SO yes Spam is a major annoyance whether you like it or not danlongman why on earth you find those complaining about it annoying and prefer the spam strikes me as odd, though I believe you've already said you have mates who are spammers, they really do need to find a life.

Maybe danlongman's friends are the ones spamming us?

2. Panzer Corps

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 4:14:23 AM   
danlongman

By annoying i meant the anti-spam security that doesn't work. It keeps me out more than it does the spammers. Not just here either.
As for the other stuff telling me to take a hike and go away because I said something you did not like.... it is the kind of thing I expect from some around here.
Do not bother reflecting on it. It was no surprise to me.

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

Post #: 6
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 4:35:48 AM   
Gary Childress

quote:

By annoying i meant the anti-spam security that doesn't work. It keeps me out more than it does the spammers. Not just here either.
As for the other stuff telling me to take a hike and go away because I said something you did not like.... it is the kind of thing I expect from some around here.

Anti-spam security keeps you out of forums? What the heck are you registering with?

2. Panzer Corps

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 7
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 4:56:54 AM   
danlongman

I am dyslexic and I do not like to wear my glasses..all those security measures that do not keep spambots out are difficult for me.

Post #: 8
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 5:10:18 AM   
Gary Childress

quote:

I am dyslexic and I do not like to wear my glasses..all those security measures that do not keep spambots out are difficult for me.

Get out of here! No kidding? You type pretty well for a dyslexic person without glasses. Could you at least make a typo or something?

2. Panzer Corps

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 9
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 6:15:59 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

quote:

I don't think so.

Seriously, this is a problem that nuclear weapons could deal with.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 10
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 6:47:52 AM   
Gary Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

quote:

I don't think so.

You may be right.

Anyway, as I was saying, I think we as forumites would probably do best to just ignore spam as best we are able. Don't click on it and don't respond to it. Otherwise the forum is going to get burried in spam every morning at this rate. Hopefully leaving spam posts alone will make Matrix's job deleting them easier as well. But like I say they probably pay attention to hit count on their posts (maybe even they're paid in proportion to it). Honestly seeing an occasional spammer in the middle of a legitimate thread is not a big problem so far I don't think. It's mostly the barrage of new posts that really dillutes the forum.

Then if we abstain from clicking and there are still spammers, we go to nukes!

2. Panzer Corps

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 11
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 7:04:44 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

quote:

I don't think so.

Warspite1

Are you serious? Nuclear weapons to get rid of spammers?? This is madness, a complete over-reaction. Let me say this - do not do it - such an over reaction will end
very badly. Let me give you a live example to show why.

Last summer I had a couple of flies buzzing around in my kitchen. Couldn't get rid of them no matter what I did - squatting them with rolled up newspaper, spraying fly repellent, trying to reason with them to get them to leave. None of it worked so - just as
you are suggesting with the nukes - I upped the ante. I went to the loft and got out my old MG-42 "Hitler Saw". I positioned myself in the corner of the kitchen and set up my nest - machine gun, sandbags, ammo boxes etc.

Within minutes I was firing off at the critters. Ratatatatatat went the machine gun -ratatatat - the firing went on for only about two minutes. And when i'd finished - Do you know what? No idea if I got the flies - but I sure as hell need a new kitchen.....

Nukes - don't do it.....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/1/2012 7:07:02 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 12
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 6:46:28 PM   
shunwick

quote:

Spam is getting a little more lively these days. Perhaps there are ways we can all cooperatively help Matrix combat it.

FIRST: Wouldn't it be better to not even click on a thread that we know is spam? I imagine the spammers tend to judge the effectiveness of their junk from the number of hits a thread receives. The more we click on their thread and respond the more they'll keep posting. That's probably why they spend so much time creating new threads instead of posting in existing threads, to track hit counts. "Go die in hell spammer" doesn't seem to have any effect on them, in fact it probably just makes their day to have us click on their thread that much more and I know it makes me even more curious to see a spam post with a dozen replies behind it. If I can't read them by hovering my mouse over the first part then it becomes more difficult to tell if it's a legitimate thread or not. So I'm thinking we should all try another approach and just do our best to ignore threads that appear to be spam.

SECOND: If you are a legitimate new member making your first or second post, it would probably be advisable to begin your post with something like "Hi my name is [insert memeber name] and I would like to introduce myself." or else post in a way that clearly involves some thought and consideration toward the forum so that we can tell you are legit. Basically if you can't make yourself sound legit in the part of the thread that hovering the mouse reveals then I for one will probably ignore your thread.

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Gary,

I am all for it but you have to click on a thread before you know it is spam. Not responding is ok but you still have to look at the damn things to find out if they are spam or not.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

Post #: 13
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 6:48:31 PM   
Terminus

Actually, all the spam threads can be identified by title. Same as the names of spammers.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 14
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 6:50:00 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Actually, all the spam threads can be identified by title. Same as the names of spammers.
Warspite1

Usually, but not always - look at mitra76

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 15
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 6:54:49 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

Yes, and have you seen some the thread titles recently? It is not always obvious.

PS. Sorry warspite, I was adding to your comment and replying to Terminus if that makes sense.

< Message edited by shunwick -- 7/1/2012 6:56:37 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 16
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 6:57:09 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

Get out of here! No kidding? You type pretty well for a dyslexic person without glasses. Could you at least make a typo or something?

LOL, LOL. Damn, I like your sensitivity.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 17
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 7:00:05 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

Yes, and have you seen some the thread titles recently? It is not always obvious.

PS. Sorry warspite, I was adding to your comment and replying to Terminus if that makes sense.
Warspite1

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 18
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 7:02:59 PM   
Terminus

I'm not talking about the handles of the spammers. You can check their profiles and their "real" name ALWAYS gives them away.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 19
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 7:03:11 PM   
danlongman

I too remember somebody jumping all over Mitra76 calling him a spambot and wishing he would die in a fire
when he is a computer games designer who did a lot of work on Northern Crusade......I do NOT remember any
apology coming afterward.
Then there is the example of Warspite's kitchen..a little overdramatised perhaps...but how would you know where
to get the best prices and benefits without a friend who is on a first name basis with Mr. Wilkes down at the petshop
who provides sawdust for the pressboard needed to repair a shot up kitchen?
If a spambot can defeat the security measures he is, at least on occasion, smarter than me.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 20
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 7:04:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Then there is the example of Warspite's kitchen..a little overdramatised perhaps...but how would you know where
to get the best prices and benefits without a friend who is on a first name basis with Mr. Wilkes down at the petshop
If a spambot can defeat the security measures he is, at least on occasion, smarter than me.
Warspite1

I assume you refer to soojan's kitchen? and btw - its the local petshop, and its spelt benifits - but I don't know that because its soojan not me okay?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/1/2012 7:13:26 PM >

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 21
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 7:22:37 PM   
doomtrader

Just prevent new users (10 posts or less) from starting new threads in General Discussion forum.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 22
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 7:34:02 PM   
J P Falcon

Well if Nukes are not an option how about having a closed forum thread (such as how a closed beta thread is set up) where all newly registered forum members posts are sent. An Admin. could review them and either dump them or, if legit, send a confirmation email. The poster would need to confirm while still using the closed thread and then once officially approved, could gain acces to the main board. Since the tread is closed, no one but an Admin would see the post. It is not fool proof, but the spammer will need to work a bit.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 23
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 7:40:57 PM   
Gary Childress

quote:

I too remember somebody jumping all over Mitra76 calling him a spambot and wishing he would die in a fire
when he is a computer games designer who did a lot of work on Northern Crusade......I do NOT remember any
apology coming afterward.

Which is why I was suggesting simply ignoring posts that we believe are spam instead of replying with "die spambot". I apologize if I misunderstood you but I was under the impression that you were saying my suggestion to simply ignore spam was annoying and that the girlfriend thing was a quip about people who don't take online life as casually as you do. You do type very well and it is hard to believe that you would have trouble registering for a forum due to simple anti-spam measures.

I've talked to scammers over the phone before and everything they say is phoney and when you catch them at it they don't even feel shame for it. They have an "in your face" attitude about screwing you over. Which is what I was (perhaps mistakenly) attributing to your story, a level of contempt and fiction.

But I do humbly apologize for misinterpreting you.

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 7/1/2012 7:42:26 PM >

2. Panzer Corps

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 24
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/1/2012 10:09:58 PM   
shunwick

quote:

I'm not talking about the handles of the spammers. You can check their profiles and their "real" name ALWAYS gives them away.

Terminus,

I was going to write that you still have to click on the thread in order to get access to the profile page of the poster. But then I realised, for the first time, that you can access the profile page from the main forum screen. I never knew that. So thanks for pointing that out.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 25
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/2/2012 12:18:31 AM   
apathetic lurker

quote:

quote:

Anti-spam security keeps you out of forums? What the heck are you registering with?

For me those damn damn letters and numbers don't come out clear. I miss about 75% of the time trying to get it right. Very annoying.

My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....

Post #: 26
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/2/2012 1:24:10 AM   
Gary Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker

quote:

quote:

For me those damn damn letters and numbers don't come out clear. I miss about 75% of the time trying to get it right. Very annoying.

Sounds like you could use the help of Soojan and some of the other spammers. They seem to have no difficulty with it.

2. Panzer Corps

(in reply to apathetic lurker)
Post #: 27
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/2/2012 8:30:32 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker

quote:

quote:

Sounds like you could use the help of Soojan and some of the other spammers. They seem to have no difficulty with it.
soojan

Not true. I have big trouble with the letter and numbers. Why do Matrix put this as it make life difficult to post for me and spambot friends. This not freindly idea . If I not know best then I think that Matrix do not want spambot around here .

This silly because we give useful idea on wowkitchens and films and blast furnace filter. This give much benifits and advice on avoid bad holiday wind.

Please to feel sorry to because some of my spam friends also dyslexic and this makes even more difficult. Please Matrix do not have letter and number any more.

Post #: 28
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/3/2012 12:13:27 PM   
wodin

The whole front page is new Spam threads...22 of them!

Never known to be so bad...soojan threads are becoming irritating aswell as I can't find anything funny about spammers at the moment.

There has to be a reason why the forum is being spammed so much..coincidence that doolongman says he has spammer mates and we moan about spammers suddenly the forum is overtaken with them...maybe be nothing in it.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 29
RE: Ideas to combat spam - 7/3/2012 12:19:32 PM   
J P Falcon

I'll stand by my earlier comment. If all new posters had their first posts automatically dumped into a closed forum thread for an eventual admin respond/review, you would not be seeing 22 spam posts on the front page right now.

< Message edited by J P Falcon -- 7/3/2012 12:20:22 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Ideas to combat spam Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI