Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hong Kong

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Hong Kong Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hong Kong - 6/29/2012 1:49:19 AM   
dwg

I've been reading the rather good Alternate History version of the siege of Hong Kong over at http://francefightson.yuku.com/forums/101/APOD-Fiction and the amount of real world detail on the siege and forces it has dug up prompted me to take a look at how it's currently represented in game. Leaving OOB issues aside, there's a basic geographical issue:

Hong Kong is currently represented by hex 77,61, which shows the island and a touch of shoreline on the top edge of the hex, but in reality Hong Kong comprises Hong Kong Island, 200 minor islands (which we can discount for game purposes), and the mainland of Kowloon and the New Territories, with Victoria Harbour separating the mainland from the islands. The history of the actual assault makes it clear it was a two phase operation, with the Japanese first breaching the Gin Drinkers Line in the New Territories on the 11th December and forcing the British to evacuate to Hong Kong Island via Kowloon by the 13th, then a second, amphibious, assault across the harbour on the 18th, leading to a week of warfare on the island culminating in the British surrender on the 25th.

On the mainland hex 78,60 is currently cultivated, while 77,59 is Canton city.

What might make for a better representation of the attack on the colony is redesignating 78,60 as Kowloon and the New Territories, while 77,61 then becomes Hong Kong Island only. It's easy enough to set that up in the scenario editor, but I'm wondering what's most appropriate to do with pwhexe - should I leave the boundaries between the two hexes as is, change them to navigable river, set them as a strait, or what? Victoria Harbour is relatively narrow, but it is a true deep water harbour and absolutely non-fordable. Turning the hexsides into an actual oceanic border, with Hong Kong as a true island would theoretically allow the shipping at Hong Kong to launch shore bombardment missions to aid the troops in the New Territories and then to evacuate the troops on the mainland, and greatly complicate the Japanese assault, but am I pushing the engine too far?

(There are obvious geographic parallels between Hong Kong and Singapore, so what goes for one may also apply to the other).
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Hong Kong Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI