Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

maybe buying...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> maybe buying... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
maybe buying... - 6/26/2012 11:30:30 PM   
jnpoint

I have read a lot and watched some videos about this game. And it looks interesting, but also very complex and time consuming. So I am somehow afraid, that I get lost in all the data. And the game is't cheap either, so I have to be sure that it is worth it. (No demo, right?)

I can also mention that I tried to love HOI3, but I just couldn't; I do not know why. "Gary Grigsby's War in the East" I like to some point. For me a game must have some kind of production. But most important is it that combat results are precise, because I spend a lot of time planning.

So is this a game for me? Of course it is hard to answer, but would you think it could be something for me?
Post #: 1
RE: maybe buying... - 6/26/2012 11:40:10 PM   
n01487477

Well there is a lot of data, units, ships, aircraft and the vast expanse of the Pacific.. These are all things which we call emersion. Don't worry though there are tools to help you sift through all the info. The Japanese has a fairly detailed production system and the Allies have a partial production system.

As for combat results, I'd say land combat is probably the worst aspect of the model and it is still better than most. The air war and naval combat model are very robust - especially in the early-mid war. But as with anything - all the planning in the world will still not be 100% successful.

There is nothing out there like this game. Do yourself a favour and just ante up and pay the starting price ... if you're one of us - it may be the last game you buy and play -- until witp2.

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 2
RE: maybe buying... - 6/26/2012 11:40:58 PM   
Kitakami

The game IS complex. VERY complex. But that does not mean unplayable. For me it means pen and paper, and lots of it.
War in the East is a different animal. That one is Land/Air, while in this one Air and Sea are locked in very interesting ways. Not that land is unimportant, but Air and Sea are so much more here than in WitE.
As for production, you'd have to play the Japanese. Allied production is set in stone. But with the Japanese, very interesting things are posible.

Is it a game for you? Read some AARs. See what the players say abot what they did right and what they did wrong. That should tell you a lot. And if you do buy it, welcome! We are an interesting bunch. Not all of us are totally civilized (I am one of the uncivilized ones, mind you... been here for quite a while and yet do not post as much), but on the whole we are a good group. There are always peoples willing to answer questions, for example :)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 3
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 12:33:48 AM   
KMCCARTHY

It is cheap at about the cost many people pay for a month of cable TV and then bitch that there is nothing on (like me). My cost per hour of play is well below 1 cent...

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 4
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 12:44:43 AM   
Commander Stormwolf

Best value per dollar of any game out there..

and you can play it,
or you can complain about it, and make your own mods for it :)

lots of fun, best game of its type, good for historians and sadists alike

"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf

(in reply to KMCCARTHY)
Post #: 5
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 1:08:21 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: jnpoint

But most important is it that combat results are precise, because I spend a lot of time planning.

Like real life, combat results are highly variable. Unlike real life, you will see many specific combat results that you feel are unrealistic. Over the large picture that the game covers, it does a fantastic job.

When you say "precise", if you mean always realistic then I don't know what game does that; certainly none that covers the scale of AE. If you want combat results that always follow some mathematical formula, forget it; this game has lots of random unknown chance factors built in, just like real life.

Hope this helps.

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 6
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 2:22:19 AM   
DOCUP

Hi Jnpoint,

Yes this is an expensive and complex game.  Like it is mentioned above it is very playable.  I played HOI 3 also.  While the game was ok to me I fet it was missing something.  I couldn't put a finger on it until I came here and started to play.  It was the personnel touches of the game.  What I mean by that is you will find a ship, pilot, or something that will pull you into the game.  Also the little things such as a ship can't sail across the map without refueling or rearming. Those little things make the game more complex but also more enjoyable.  There is no demo. 

Combat result do vary in the game, but they vary in real life.  There are hundreds of battles that should of went the other way but didn't because of some strange reason or another.  Just like any game (if you buy and play) you will cuss and fuss over battles.  I do enjoy watching the some of the battle in the combat replay.

The game is the best of its kind.  My recommendation is to buy and play.  The forum here is great and very helpful.  You will learn a lot about the game and history.  The forum just makes the game better.  Follow the info given here such as read some AAR's ask questions then make up ur mind as to buy or move to another game.

Good luck
doc

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 3:16:18 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

I have read a lot and watched some videos about this game. And it looks interesting, but also very complex and time consuming. So I am somehow afraid, that I get lost in all the data. And the game is't cheap either, so I have to be sure that it is worth it. (No demo, right?)

I can also mention that I tried to love HOI3, but I just couldn't; I do not know why. "Gary Grigsby's War in the East" I like to some point. For me a game must have some kind of production. But most important is it that combat results are precise, because I spend a lot of time planning.

So is this a game for me? Of course it is hard to answer, but would you think it could be something for me?

Expensive? Not in terms of money. If you are addicted to crack or meth, once you begin playing this game you will forget those things. You also will forget your wife, your children and your job. Your wife will divorce you, your kids will begin calling their stepfather "dad", you will lose your job and be forced to play this in your mother's basement. Bring it on! Show us your Viking spirit! We need more victims. This message is brought to you by a victim still waiting to be properly and appropriately and deservedly victimized.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 6/27/2012 3:18:21 AM >

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 8
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 6:05:56 AM   
Dili

quote:

important is it that combat results are precise

Combat results are not precise there are many variations in air war and sea combat specially ships at night or with air element.
You are never safe from something unexpected like in real life. If you split the carriers maybe some will be under cloud cover at crucial moment and the planes don't get up in air etc...
you can't count with that in a planning.
For example if you are allies you need to consider that your submarine torpedoes will fail a lot at beginning. Like others have said read the AAR's to see if the game is for you.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 9
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 7:03:50 AM   
jnpoint

Thank you for the many responses.

In a way, I am surprised about how much activity there is in this forum. I mean, the game is almost three years old. However, that also shows me, that this game is long-lasting as you say.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 10
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 7:44:32 AM   
CaptDave

Another feature that may interest you is that you can play against either the computer or a human opponent. While there is a lot of complaining about the Artificial Intelligence (AI) that drives the computer, and it's certainly not perfect, you'll find that it is far better than anything else you'll find in a game of this complexity. Compared to this game, programming Big Blue was a first-year homework assignment!

You'll find players on both sides of the argument, whether to play against the computer or against a human (Play By Email, PBEM). I play mostly against the AI, myself, simply because I can't devote enough time to the game to keep most human opponents happy. I do like PBEM, though, when I can find a tolerant, patient enemy commander. At least with AE there are several scripts for the AI, so you don't know ahead of time exactly what it's going to try to do to you.

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 11
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 8:33:10 AM   
Itdepends

Not sure if the game (AE) is only 3 years old- I thought it was older. But perhaps the length of some PBEM games may give you some insight to that- we're talking games between opponents that regularly go for 1-2 years.

I was a big fan of HOI1, HOI2 was good as well but HOI3 left me wanting. You certainly get more attached to your units in this game than in a bunch of division counters.

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 12
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 2:15:45 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

In a way, I am surprised about how much activity there is in this forum. I mean, the game is almost three years old. However, that also shows me, that this game is long-lasting as you say.

Welcome jnpoint, the game is three years old but still being supported. It has a vibrant modding community and the board as you see has a good amount of people willing to share the passion.

I will but the way I look at it I don't have to buy another game the rest of my life.

Best of luck.

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 13
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 2:36:07 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

Actaullly jnpoint, the game is many decades old if you go back to the original board game, YET it is brand new in that the developers keep improving this game and the number of patches testifies to that fact. The game is very different from the original disc version and much improved. AND it has improvements coming as well, I'm sure.... Enjoy, it is an investment worth every penny. Hal

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 14
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 2:53:45 PM   
witpqs

Expanding on the age aspect - WITP was actually released in 2004. WITP-AE was so substantial an update that it required a large team of volunteers and still needed to be charged as a new product. In other words, there is an enormous amount of improvement that went into it both then and since the 2009 release. And WITP was based on earlier versions (Uncommon Valor ~mid to late 1990s and Pacific War ~early 1990s). It has legs.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 15
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 3:14:24 PM   
castor troy

quote:

get it, I've owned WITP and AE since 2004 now and am usually playing it daily for several hours... sounds totally crazy if you think about it and it sure isn't normal (somehow I can understand my girl friend telling me exactly this). Best game ever developed on this theatre and I don't know any other game about any other theatre that comes even close.

The price may not look cheap (how much is it at the moment?) but every $ spent on it is easily worth it. Go for it!

< Message edited by castor troy -- 6/27/2012 3:16:20 PM >

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 16
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 7:20:59 PM   
jnpoint

Now I have bought it and played some turns, and I already like it. However, there is a lot to keep track of, especially a lot of units. So I will probably not be back here the next few weeks - but then I might have a lot of questions :)

(Btw. because I live in Denmark, I had to pay, inclusive taxes, approximately 105$.)

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 17
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 7:28:25 PM   
JocMeister

jnpoint,

Play the AI until you learn the mechanics and as soon as you feel the AI is lacking. Go for a PBEM game. My biggest regret with this game is waiting for 6 years (inluding) WITP to play my first PBEM.

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 18
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 7:31:44 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

You may want to consider War in the Pacific. Thats the original game that inspired "War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition" The latter is you might say....a "grognard's" version of the former game that debuted in 2004. Yes.....it is more complex and time consuming to play. It has alot of improvements as well so its an individual's choice on which "flavor" is best.

WitP is cheaper as well. If your wanting to test the waters, you might want to start with WitP and if you "get the bug" so to speak, you can later if you decide move on to to Admirals Edition. If Production is what you want....go AE. It doesn't get any hairier than this....

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 19
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 7:38:55 PM   
Terminus

quote:

If you're somebody who can get overwhelmed with data, then I'd say AE isn't for you. As you say, it's very expensive.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 20
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 8:21:40 PM   
Roger Neilson 3

quote:

Now I have bought it and played some turns, and I already like it. However, there is a lot to keep track of, especially a lot of units. So I will probably not be back here the next few weeks - but then I might have a lot of questions :)

(Btw. because I live in Denmark, I had to pay, inclusive taxes, approximately 105$.)

Don't worry about asking questions, this forum is brilliant an very tolerant of the simplest questions.....

I don't have time to play any other game... so purchase of this saved me loads of money!

Roger

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 21
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 8:29:43 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

jnpoint,

Play the AI until you learn the mechanics and as soon as you feel the AI is lacking. Go for a PBEM game. My biggest regret with this game is waiting for 6 years (inluding) WITP to play my first PBEM.

In case no one has yet mentioned it, go to the Tracker thread (just scroll up the page a bit from where your thread is located); read it; visit the Tracker web site and download Tracker. It is super valuable. And, being put together by two volunteers it is free. Free, and they are somewhere between 50,000 and 70,000 lines of code!!!

Do play AE some without Tracker so you don't overload yourself, but when you get rolling, merely the "Alerts" tab alone is worth its weight in gold.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 22
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 9:11:06 PM   
Nikademus

you know....i really really need to start using that thing.

Even as Allies i am overwhelmed. I want Ike to be my Chief of Staff.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 23
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 9:15:52 PM   
Buck Beach

That is unless they come up with WITPAE #2.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 24
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 10:35:09 PM   
jnpoint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

That will not happen soon acording to this:
Our next game will be War in the West 43-45 which will be the same scale as WitE and will include a more robust air game with the land campaigns and strategic bombing. After that we plan on War in the West 40 (which will include Norway, France, England and the Med, and add a new detailed naval system) and War in the West 41-42 which will focus on the Med. War in the West 43-45 will have campaigns that start in the summer of 43 and the summer of 44, as well as shorter scenarios. We have an alpha map for all of Europe (including the Soviet Union to east of the Urals), North Africa and the Middle East). We plan to use this map to eventually produce a WitE 2.0 which would fit in with the War in the West products and allow us to fill in a complete War in Europe. Of course, this will take many years.

Most of this information has been given out before in various forum posts, but I wanted to post this again to clear things up. I'm sure many of you have questions about the details, but I'd ask you hold those questions and let us focus on development. We'll give you more information in the future as we move along in development and you'll have plenty of time to ask questions.

(Joel Billings)

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 25
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 11:35:14 PM   
Terminus

Remember that AE was not made by Grigsby and Billings.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 26
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 11:43:27 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

I can assure you....it won't be Henderson Field Designs that does it. You've a better statistical probability of there being someday a fresh new War in the Pacific II, designed by a completely new group that won't include Gary Grigsby.

Someone probably will......in another 10-20 years.

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 27
RE: maybe buying... - 6/27/2012 11:52:28 PM   
Gräfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

Needa hurry up with my game then.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 28
RE: maybe buying... - 6/28/2012 12:07:24 AM   
Commander Stormwolf

WITP AE 2 ~

- need some type of multiplayer system better than Pbem

- more layers of code for more fine detail in the calculations

- graphics

- and of course,

a better production model

"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf

(in reply to Gräfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 29
RE: maybe buying... - 6/28/2012 12:14:02 AM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

quote:

I can assure you....it won't be Henderson Field Designs that does it. You've a better statistical probability of there being someday a fresh new War in the Pacific II, designed by a completely new group that won't include Gary Grigsby.

Even if it was 5 years it would be too late for me even if I'm still kickin. Concentration don't come easy these days, but I'm still in there strokin and still love the game.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> maybe buying... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI