Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

observer corps??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> observer corps?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
observer corps?? - 6/26/2012 7:04:51 PM   
slane

What is the observer corps in the game supposed to represent?

In the early part of my game I abandoned Horn Island by air evacuating everything off the island. The only thing that was left behind was the “observer corps”. All troops on the island are gone according to the unit screen. Is this supposed to represent the big listening devices that I’ve seen in some old war films?

Just curious.
Thanks

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph" -Thomas Paine
Post #: 1
RE: observer corps?? - 6/26/2012 7:14:53 PM   
Terminus

No, it's guys in fox holes with binoculars and field telephones. They're considered "radar" for the purposes of game mechanics, but that also means they can be tricky to unload from ships.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to slane)
Post #: 2
RE: observer corps?? - 6/26/2012 9:00:29 PM   
moonraker

Indeed. Guys wearing black with tin hats. Usually they have a height and direction finder present, analog of course

Packard Bell S3840 imedia Desk Top - 4GB DDR3 Ram - Geforce GT 630 4GB - Windows 7 Home Premium - Wired Keyboard and Mouse - 22 inch HD Monitor

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: observer corps?? - 6/27/2012 12:50:20 AM   
Commander Stormwolf

also a telephone to that guy who has to walk slowly over to, and then slowly wind the air siren

"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf

(in reply to moonraker)
Post #: 4
RE: observer corps?? - 6/27/2012 12:56:32 AM   
Commander Stormwolf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urx6HuoSPFU&feature=relmfu

at 4:40

"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf

(in reply to slane)
Post #: 5
RE: observer corps?? - 6/27/2012 2:02:54 AM   
msieving1

quote:

ORIGINAL: moonraker

Indeed. Guys wearing black with tin hats. Usually they have a height and direction finder present, analog of course

If you're lucky, or Otto Preminger, they look like Paula Prentiss.

(in reply to moonraker)
Post #: 6
RE: observer corps?? - 6/27/2012 9:37:51 AM   
moonraker

I think the Observer Corps were a sort of backup for Radar. As in B o B where Radar Stations were temporarily put out of action they were the next best thing

Packard Bell S3840 imedia Desk Top - 4GB DDR3 Ram - Geforce GT 630 4GB - Windows 7 Home Premium - Wired Keyboard and Mouse - 22 inch HD Monitor

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 7
RE: observer corps?? - 6/27/2012 2:55:42 PM   
dr.hal

I believe that there is equipment involved and bulky. But I don't think it is SO bulky as to not allow a PBY to carry it. I get this info from a very reliable source, I've got a bunch of "tin" soldiers from "the Great War" made in the 20s from my father and they have an "Observer Corp" unit consisting of a sound device and two soldiers. Now that's GOT to be an authentic source! Hal

(in reply to moonraker)
Post #: 8
RE: observer corps?? - 6/27/2012 5:17:38 PM   
pws1225

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

I believe that there is equipment involved and bulky. But I don't think it is SO bulky as to not allow a PBY to carry it. I get this info from a very reliable source, I've got a bunch of "tin" soldiers from "the Great War" made in the 20s from my father and they have an "Observer Corp" unit consisting of a sound device and two soldiers. Now that's GOT to be an authentic source! Hal

Do your tin soldiers look like Paula Prentiss?

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 9
RE: observer corps?? - 6/27/2012 6:19:59 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: pws1225

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Do your tin soldiers look like Paula Prentiss?

This is going to sound really dumb Paul, but what is a Paula Prentiss?

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 10
RE: observer corps?? - 6/27/2012 7:12:02 PM   
Califvol

Paula Prentiss is an American actress that portrayed a US Naval Officer’s wife in the movie “In Harm’s Way” starring John Wayne and Kirk Douglas.

In the movie besides being the officer’s wife her character is a volunteer aircraft spotter (observer corps) with a long scene of her spotting aircraft outside Pearl Harbor. Hence the reference of observer corps soldiers looking like her.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 11
RE: observer corps?? - 6/27/2012 9:21:31 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Califvol

Paula Prentiss is an American actress that portrayed a US Naval Officer’s wife in the movie “In Harm’s Way” starring John Wayne and Kirk Douglas.

In the movie besides being the officer’s wife her character is a volunteer aircraft spotter (observer corps) with a long scene of her spotting aircraft outside Pearl Harbor. Hence the reference of observer corps soldiers looking like her.

Ahhhh! Thanks Califvol, when it comes to Hollywood my ignorance is overwhelming! I did read the book though.... By Bassett I believe, MANY years ago. And of course there is the more recent book of that title about the loss of the "Indianapolis".

(in reply to Califvol)
Post #: 12
RE: observer corps?? - 6/27/2012 10:15:26 PM   
pws1225

Really Hal, I'm sure the book was good, but Paula Prentiss is a marvel. You simply must become less professorial!

[Side note: For those who don't know, Dr.Hal kicked my butt in our PBEM. I figure if I claim I was somehow distracted by Paula Prentiss instead of focusing on the game, I will have finally come up with a plausible excuse for losing the KB in mid-42]

< Message edited by pws1225 -- 6/27/2012 10:37:24 PM >

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 13
RE: observer corps?? - 6/28/2012 3:12:53 AM   
kevin_hx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

No, it's guys in fox holes with binoculars and field telephones. They're considered "radar" for the purposes of game mechanics, but that also means they can be tricky to unload from ships.

In fox holes ! lol

Welcome to visit my Naval blog

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 14
RE: observer corps?? - 6/28/2012 3:13:57 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: pws1225

Really Hal, I'm sure the book was good, but Paula Prentiss is a marvel. You simply must become less professorial!

[Side note: For those who don't know, Dr.Hal kicked my butt in our PBEM. I figure if I claim I was somehow distracted by Paula Prentiss instead of focusing on the game, I will have finally come up with a plausible excuse for losing the KB in mid-42]

Now Paul, don't you go undermining my victory! Especially as I'm not doing so well in my current game with Mark! But it was a good game and you are an "honorable" opponent. I hope you are not being washed away down there. Hal

(for those not following the news or weather, Florida is being hit with a WHOLE lot of rain!)

< Message edited by dr.hal -- 6/28/2012 3:19:58 PM >

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> observer corps?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI