Modern Tactics Update / Feedback

Developed from the United States Marine Corps training simulation, Close Combat: Marines, you take command of modern US forces or various opposition forces in one of 25 scenarios included with the release.
SteveMcClaire

Modern Tactics Update / Feedback

Post by SteveMcClaire »

We are currently planning an update to Close Combat Modern Tactics which is tentatively scheduled for release towards the end of this year.

At the moment the update is planned to include the AI and pathfinding changes that went into the 'mega-update' releases for the other Close Combat titles. But I would also like to get feedback from the community on other areas where we could improve the game.

So if you have thoughts or comments, please feel free to post them here and let me know.

Thanks!

Steve
DAK_Legion

RE: Modern Tactics Update / Feedback

Post by DAK_Legion »

Hi Steve!

This a GOOD Notices for CCMT!For me is the best of CC Games!

All improvements for CCMT will welcome!

we always wanted to create OPERATIONS and GRAND CAMPAIGNS style CCIII..it would be possible in the new UPDATE??????

More Thanks for the News!
heia safari!
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

ORIGINAL: DAK_Legion
we always wanted to create OPERATIONS and GRAND CAMPAIGNS style CCIII..it would be possible in the new UPDATE??????

That would be very cool, but unfortunately I think it's a bit large of a feature for the planned update. We'll keep it in mind for the future though.

Platoon_Michael

Post by Platoon_Michael »

What about Ops/GC CCIV/CCV style?
DAK_Legion

Post by DAK_Legion »

[/quote]

That would be very cool, but unfortunately I think it's a bit large of a feature for the planned update. We'll keep it in mind for the future though.

[/quote]

and something like to GRAND CAMPAINGNS of CCIII ..we crammed together 2 OPERATIONS/BATTLES CCMT With NOTEPAD????

I do not think it is very difficult..I hope you understand me..my english is BAD!
heia safari!
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

There are a handful of UI issues that really annoy me. Hope you have time for them. They would go a long way making CCMT at look polished. ->

Like the animation of the slider buttons. There are some aligment issues on the soldier and debriefing screens. Sometimes sliders are present on the BG screen when they should not be. Its using the total number of teams instead of the total number of filtered teams to decide if the slider is necessary.

Also,

The pre-planned artillery smoke doesn't work properly on my system, but might be a data issue.

If it is a quick fix, you should allow the battle editor to work on a map that is not square. It can do this now (i.e. 1x4 KM), but other sizes are not allowed for some reason.

You should allow the Battle Editor to identify a single player game, and then not require the user to indicate deployment areas for platoon 2-5.

You should continue to allow the Battle Editor to create a game with NO Victory Locations.

You should cut back the max number of multiplayers from 10 to 6. This way you can ditch the bush looking check boxes for platoon 4 and 5. (that appear in several screens).

Make the program skip the briefing screen, if no Op Order is present. In fact, just rip the Op Order stuff from the game, and fix up a simple description area that displays in its current window on the command screen. If you retain Op Orders change the headings for each of the 5 areas to something more meaningful to a game player.

If you use AT guns, like in a WW2 mod, and your team size greater than 3, then the text that appears when you mouse over the weapon is whacked. (its displayed sometimes far away from the gun). The only fix I could find was to never have AT gun teams larger that 3 soldiers.

Someone needs to rethink some of the obstruction values in the elements file.

DO NOT remove the girlie soldier actions.

There is a ton of stuff ... just cant remember it all.

OH, I forgot to mention that while the AI can in fact deliver multiple Fixed Wing and Helo Strikes, it never uses more than one Artillery or Mortar strikes. (i.e. the AI only finds time for one strike of each).

OH, and there are a handful of weapon data entries, that got seriously messed up. I cant remember them all, but they are easy to identify if you compare back to CCM.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Steve McClaire

We are currently planning an update to Close Combat Modern Tactics which is tentatively scheduled for release towards the end of this year.

At the moment the update is planned to include the AI and pathfinding changes that went into the 'mega-update' releases for the other Close Combat titles. But I would also like to get feedback from the community on other areas where we could improve the game.

So if you have thoughts or comments, please feel free to post them here and let me know.

Thanks!

Steve

I was going to suggest a campaign format for CCMT myself but I see that is out. To me that is the most crucial component missing from CCMT. At least the ability for modders to create linked campaign maps or something would be nice. But maybe in the future?
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Great that Matrix is going back to give CCMT some TLC....
philip wells

Post by philip wells »

Features such as placing trenches, obstacles, and mines would be nice, but there are a lot of bugs and game play issues that are more important to fix. For setting up single games this is the best CC but the absence of a campaign operation or a shell that would allow a series of games to be played in succession will not attract many more players.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

At this point we're not looking at adding any new features for this update, but we'll keep all suggestions in mind for a possible future version.

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

First things first - fulfilling the promises made to customers, namely this:

Accurate and realistic modern equipment modelling

Accurately depicts modern tactical warfare and its challenges

Which would be:
Accurate and realistic modern equipment modelling:
-Various ATGM types - no ATGMs as long range bazookas.
-Modern tank armour types.
-Night vision equipment.
-Fire support that doesn't act as super weapons - no instant mortars, no invincible aircraft.
-Correct weapons data. One of the things that killed the popularity of CCMT was that lots of data is simply wrong (IIRC there was a HMG with penetration of the 88mm gun) and the way of setting ranges for weapons was changed in a way that led to drastically increased lethality (just compare let's say, data for StG-44 in earlier CC to data of AK-47 in CCMT).

Accurately depicts modern tactical warfare and its challenges
-This obviously would require an update to CCM6 as modern tactical warfare involves night-fighting and civilians.
-Good AI.
-Good realistic scenarios.

Other things:
Team Chat - CCMT has teamplay but no private communications within team.
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Be good to make CCMT playable in a window like the other CC5 based re-releases....
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

Maybe Tejszd, but most of the time when I minimize, I want the game to stop, not continue running.

I am sure some players want the opposite effect.

But, I wanted a window to at least eliminate the black areas around the UI before the tactical game screen was launched. Do the later games do that or does the whole application just run in a borderless window, generally sized to your desktop?
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Later releases when set to run in a window run borderless....
philip wells

Post by philip wells »

OK here is a list of things that should be sorted rather than a wish list, I have drawn upon others comments here and from CCS:

1. Pathing.
2. Lack of AI aggression, this should be modifiable in the scenario set up so that AI could be set to aggressive, neutral, or defensive (better pathing will help).
3. The data values need to be completely reworked.
a. Weapon range, accuracy,penetration.
b. Armour values.
c. Teams should include leaders for OPFOR armour.
d. Elements text allows infantry to hide from enemy, but also makes it very hard to take a shot. AT weapons are almost impossible to place to get a good shot.
4. Ability to use maps of any size up to the maximum.
5. The scenario editor should only require a set up for the number of players, the default should be two (it would be nice for single players though to be able to use 3 sets of teams v 3 set of the AI).
6. Fire support for AI only ever uses it once.
7. Off board mortars have a very strange spread.
8. AI never seams to use smoke.
9. Indirect fire an important component of this game need accuracy addressing. To simulate a top attack weapon even when using 100% accuracy is not accurate.
10. Digging in during the set-up screen should enable the game to start with infantry dug in, for AI if it is set to defensive mode should be by default dug in.
11. AT Guns only work with a three (?) man crew.
12. UK ranks are inappropriate, e.g. a tank is commanded by a corporal, a section is commanded by a corporal, a half section by a lance corporal. A platoon by a 1st Lt with a sergeant as the 2 i/c, company by a Major with a captain as 2 i/c.
13. coaxial MGs function
14. roof files no longer switch to show inside buildings where enemy units are spotted
15. when vehicle crews are killed, but the vehicle is still intact, any loaded infantry are no longer trapped.
16. AI never mounts a vehicle as they did in CCM.

Stwa

Post by Stwa »

Nice list.

I wonder about 8 and 16 though. I see the AI using smoke, especially the vehicles.

Also, I have seen the AI mount up I think. Sure seemed like I have seen them unload from time to time. But to be totally sure, check the replay.

Another thing, in the soldier screen the rank insignia for Master Seargent in properly displayed, but during the tactical game/screen, Master Seargent rank insignia is displayed as E5 Seargent.
DAK_Legion

Post by DAK_Legion »

Hi Steve!

also remember that the file WEAPONS have is limited to 128 weapons....

could be like in the WAR,TLD or LSA???
heia safari!
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

ORIGINAL: DAK_Legion

Also remember that the file WEAPONS have is limited to 128 weapons....

I will double check, but that should be an easy change.

Steve
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

Some of the UI issues I mentioned are easy fixes too.

So, will it be possible to address them as well?

Adding additional weapons slots sounds like a new feature, and I thought we weren't going to do that?
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

ORIGINAL: Stwa

Some of the UI issues I mentioned are easy fixes too.

So, will it be possible to address them as well?

Adding additional weapons slots sounds like a new feature, and I thought we weren't going to do that?

If there's an unnessary limitation on how the game uses the data files that is easy to remove and would help modders, I think we can certainly look at changing that. The same for UI issues where the UI can be improved without totally changing it.

The 'no new features' bit was me trying to set expectations for what would be in the update. We are not planning to add things like a campaign system, for example, or something that would completely change the scope of what is in the game at present.

Steve

Return to “Close Combat: Modern Tactics”