Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advice on game Activation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Advice on game Activation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advice on game Activation - 6/25/2012 1:51:45 PM   
Yogi the Great

I admit I'm an old out of date grognard who wants physical copies of games. I'm not against downloads, just want to hold and see what I purchase and get false security knowing I have a hard copy. That said, while I have purchased some Matrix games from another site, I just ordered my first through Matrix physical copy with free download. I downloaded it, but have not activated it yet.

My question to you my forum friends who have done this before is should I just wait to activate from the physical copy or go ahead and activate the free download? I don't want a problem if they don't match and I seem to recall a discussion some time ago on the forum from someone who ended up with a conflict between his download and the game disc when it arrived. Anyway I am use to waiting for items to arrive via fed-ex or mail, but I wouldn't mind activating the download if the process seems to be problem free.

Thanks for any advice and/or experience you can give.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Post #: 1
RE: Advice on game Activation - 6/25/2012 2:26:05 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Go ahead and activite it....there shouldn't be any problem.  I never waited on my hard copy, if I had a dl with it.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 2
RE: Advice on game Activation - 6/25/2012 6:49:38 PM   
Max 86

Activate and move on I say. I used to feel exactly like you do with the physical version but I have learned that after awhile I don't revisit most of the games I buy. For example I don't play Time of Wrath anymore, the original WitP or CoG either, so I know I will never need those disks for anything in the future.

I save all Matrix related emails with the game orders / registration numbers and backup all my game installation files to disk or thumbdrives and those act as my "hard copies" so to speak.

But there is no logical reason or considerations I know of to wait to activate.

No problem Chief!

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 3
RE: Advice on game Activation - 6/25/2012 7:55:35 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

The games are connected to your account and don't really care about the media they are installed from. I keep pushing for game versions available on customised USB sticks (Tiger or Sherman shaped?) - but my colleagues are so very behind the times

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 4
RE: Advice on game Activation - 6/25/2012 8:07:06 PM   
Josh

+1 to all of the above, go ahead and activate your download. I'm like you in that I always purchase a physical disc, but truth be told, I never even unpack them anymore once the disc has arrived per mail. The dowload itself suffices, maybe just maybe one day that physical copy might just might come in handy... you never know, but it never happened ... sofar.
I even have come to the point where I purchased some games via Steam, no physical copies there! So when, if ever, Steam goes belly up, all those games won't be accessible for me anymore... sooo I buy only games on Steam that I could very well live without.

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 5
RE: Advice on game Activation - 6/25/2012 8:57:42 PM   
junk2drive

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

The games are connected to your account and don't really care about the media they are installed from. I keep pushing for game versions available on customised USB sticks (Tiger or Sherman shaped?) - but my colleagues are so very behind the times

Cheers

Pip

There was USB 1.1 then 2.0 then ??? About the time you start shipping sticks the tech will change. I've still got 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 floppies around here and no drive installed.

Yogi, just make sure that the serial number on the CD/DVD matches the one they email you.

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 6
RE: Advice on game Activation - 6/26/2012 3:47:37 AM   
Yogi the Great

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the advice and may try the download activation tomorrow.

Junk2drive, I will check to see if the "serial number" matches, of course can't do so until the physical copy arrives. I assume what they sent me for an "activation code" should match the "serial number" on the CD/DVD they send me. If not, I should email the help line. I just got a new computer after 8 or 9 years or so and have always had at least a 3.5 floppy before if not a 5.25. Wonder when the cd/dvd's will dissappear too? I also remember on my first PC being assured that I would never be able to use up the 20 meg hard drive space.

< Message edited by Yogi the Great -- 6/26/2012 3:48:49 AM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 7
RE: Advice on game Activation - 6/26/2012 9:42:49 PM   
Perturabo

Activation?

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Advice on game Activation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI