Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: WITP-AE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: OT: WITP-AE Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: WITP-AE - 8/5/2012 9:43:33 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

WitP-AE is a beautiful game, and once you learn the basics yo will be hooked.

But be warned; that it is also a like very intoxicating drug, and can gobble up your life.

DivePac88 is concise and spot on. 95 plus percent of my playing time - since AE's release (2009) has been consumed by AE. Speaking as an AE Logistics Fan Boy, the game is second to none. When one adds the Babes Scenario 28C or Reluctant Admiral 4.6 mods - with Andrew Brown's extended map, I am euphoric <grin>

hfarrish -

Footslogger, Encircled, PaxMondo, TD, DivePac88 and Q-Ball are all well known to me from the AE Forums and know of what they speak.

I have - easily - 10 or more excellent games (from my perspective) that have been waiting on the shelf due to my time commitment to AE. Only recently did I make a decision to allot time to learn and play other titles. AE of course, is a part of my life; I will always play it. Am going to try and achieve some level of balance; WitE is at the top of the list - I know it will be good.

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 8/5/2012 9:44:59 PM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 31
RE: OT: WITP-AE - 8/9/2012 1:11:29 PM   
kirk23

WITP AE is a superb game but if you only have 1 or 2 hours available to play per day,that ain't going to be enough,once you start playing the life you knew is a thing of the past,the game is addictive.

Make it so!

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 32
RE: OT: WITP-AE - 8/12/2012 7:21:48 AM   
Crimguy

I've been playing Witp since it's release. Unfortunately I have repeatedly had to bail out of pbem's, and drop solo games for that matter, due to the reality that you need a ton of time to do it. I love the game but find myself immersed for hours at a time. Doing one turn. So, for me, it's virtually unplayable.

It is fascinating though and will always be on my hard drive.

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 33
RE: OT: WITP-AE - 8/15/2012 11:24:16 AM   
Banzan

Many people looking at WitPAE do a common mistake: They start it with looking at/playing the the Grand Campaign. Doing so, it will overhelm you.

I owned WitPAE for some years and gave it another try from time to time but stopped soon again as i never saw any point in anything i did. Someday i decided to play some of the smaller scenarios to get a feeling for it, and it become a blast from there on.

Opposite to WitE (and as any other strategic game i ever played before), the WitPAE GC needs much more planning ahead into the far future.
Opposite to WitE, you can set your targets quite different every game.

Like WitE, you have one strong side at start (japan) who will beat the **** out of the allies for quite some time (feels like forever if you play allies ), and there is also a turnover when allies production starts to show off.
Like WitE, the air model isn't perfect and can be exploited (mainly late war), but it works very well within its limits.

In conclusion, i like and play both games (only singleplayer games due time limits), where WitE is much faster to play and in WitPAE each game is more different.

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 34
RE: OT: WITP-AE - 8/21/2012 1:22:41 AM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: hfarrish
You have to set up how fuel moves between multiple islands and pick the individual transports that move it?

Yes There's the auto-convoy option, but no serious WitP AE player uses it (except for bases far in the rear).

The thing is everything is absolutely intermingled. First of all the ships must arrive (fuel and supplies). Then you can start building the airfield, port, fortifications. Engineers will be needed. But of course, you will then need airplanes to protect the base (fighters and then level bombers)... The airplanes will need an AA unit to protect them. They will also need infantry to protect the base... And the infantry will need support (bring support units: base units in the game)...

Then the base will need protection from the sea: mines, surface TFs...

Etc etc

That's the whole thing: it's -again-, totally intermingled... Lots of variables, options, flexibility. Logistics of the highest degree that is. In fact, you will notice most of us love -above all other things- the logistical thing of the game.

Because it is really about logistics (what professionals do, right? ). And from time to time, the firecrackers: naval, land, air battles, amphibious operations...

I beg to differ to the above .

I consider myself a serious WitP AE player and use auto convoys all the time as Japan. Especially that all the issues were fixed with them in the latest patch. Prior to that the AC system WAS totally hosed. Now they work as adevertised. The reason I know is I was involved in the beta patchs getting this issue resolved .

One thing to keep in mind is that the latest patch has fixed and/or addressed so many things. So if you are not playing with the newest patch, a lot of your past knowledge about the game is going to be off base.

I'm in a early '44 PBEM game and I can attest that the game plays VERY different now than it did when we started it. Almost a 100% improvement imho.

Just something to keep in mind.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: OT: WITP-AE Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI