Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Windows 7

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Windows 7 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Windows 7 - 6/21/2012 10:34:21 PM   
Gary Childress

I'm thinking of getting Windows 7 for my machine. I've been an XP user for 10 years or more. Maybe it's time to move on. What are other people's advice as far as Operating Systems? Should I get Windows 7 or hold out until the next Windows follows?

Favorite/Awesome games from Matrix

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War
John Tiller's Campaign Series
The Close Combat Series (all versions)
Post #: 1
RE: Windows 7 - 6/21/2012 10:40:04 PM   
Gary Childress

It looks like I can get the full 64 bit version for only 99.00 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=windows+7

What do others recommend? 32 bit or 64 bit? The price is about the same at Amazon for both.

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War

(in reply to Gary Childress)
Post #: 2
RE: Windows 7 - 6/21/2012 10:48:59 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Gary, I never thought I would be saying this but... yes, do upgrade. It really works

It took them, er, how long...? 20 years? Blue Screens of Death etc. etc.

They finally managed to produce a decent, stable OS. Get rid of XP and install this 7 thing.

Russian Kung Fu Masters. Hurraaaa!!!

Post #: 3
RE: Windows 7 - 6/21/2012 10:55:04 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Let's not forget the many victims along this loooong way. May they rest in peace...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 4
RE: Windows 7 - 6/21/2012 11:12:41 PM   
GordianKnot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=windows+7

What do others recommend? 32 bit or 64 bit? The price is about the same at Amazon for both.

I would get the 64 bit version if your system supports it.

Keep in mind, this is the 'system builder' version which means it can only be installed on one system ever. So if you buy a new PC down the road, you can't deactivate it on your current one and install it on your new one.

Post #: 5
RE: Windows 7 - 6/21/2012 11:13:00 PM   
uncc

I've been using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit pretty much since it came out and I can not think of many games that it won't run. If you've been running XP for 10 years, you may want to run this first:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

I did have one or 2 hardware issues when I upgraded (had an old HP 6MP printer that wouldn't work w/Win 7. Resolved by getting a LPT<-->USB cable. Also had an old HP scanner that I just had to give up on). Other than that, been quite happy with Windows 7 and have no plans to upgrade to Windows 8....

p.s. the Win 7 Pro version comes with Windows XP Mode (run Win XP as a VPC), so you can still keep WinXP for those really old apps/games that need it...

< Message edited by uncc -- 6/21/2012 11:24:44 PM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)

Post #: 6
RE: Windows 7 - 6/21/2012 11:13:38 PM   
doomtrader

Gary, no doubt you should upgrade.
I think you should go with seven, as this is more less evolution of XP in terms of user interface. W8 seems to be a revolution so far, so it might be too much.

W7 is stable and fast, especially if compared to VISTA.

Post #: 7
RE: Windows 7 - 6/21/2012 11:13:43 PM   
Lützow

Win7 is the best Windows ever, and even though I meanwhile utilize an iMac as main machine, still my prefered Desktop. Win8, however, was designed for mobile devices. To get people accustomed at Metro GUI and make them purchase WinPhones in the future. From a desktop perspective it's completely useless.

Post #: 8
RE: Windows 7 - 6/21/2012 11:25:17 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: uncc

Other than that, been quite happy with Windows 7 and have no plans to upgrade to Windows 8....

In any case, not as long as we 100% know we will be totally safe with the 8 thing

(in reply to uncc)
Post #: 9
RE: Windows 7 - 6/21/2012 11:36:00 PM   
parusski

quote:

Windows 7 is the best Windows OS so far. Years ago I beta-tested Vista and knew early on it sucked. Then when 7 was being tested I was pleasantly surprised at the fact that it WORKED.

Here is something to consider, since I started using Windows 7 in 2008 I have not had a single blue scree of death. Windows 7 is stable and light on system resources. Get it.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 10
RE: Windows 7 - 6/21/2012 11:48:56 PM   
rosseau

Let us know how the update works out, Gary. It just scares the pants off me (horrible thought) to change operating systems and find a lot of my "older" games don't work. But yes, XP is on the edge of extinction. Good luck!

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 11
RE: Windows 7 - 6/21/2012 11:55:03 PM   
Titanwarrior89

"HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM"
quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Let's not forget the many victims along this loooong way. May they rest in peace...

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

Post #: 12
RE: Windows 7 - 6/22/2012 12:14:11 AM   
Gary Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Let us know how the update works out, Gary. It just scares the pants off me (horrible thought) to change operating systems and find a lot of my "older" games don't work. But yes, XP is on the edge of extinction. Good luck!

Hi Rosseau, I wish I could help in that department but my intention is to start from scratch with a new HD and a FULL version of windows 7 and I'm not going to put ANY games on my computer. Game have gotten out of control for me and I really need to quit cold turkey. So this will be maybe my third try at quitting computer games. This time I'm going to give all my games to a custodian to hold onto until I retire or something.

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War

(in reply to rosseau)
Post #: 13
RE: Windows 7 - 6/22/2012 12:17:39 AM   
wodin

quote:

I'm thinking of getting Windows 7 for my machine. I've been an XP user for 10 years or more. Maybe it's time to move on. What are other people's advice as far as Operating Systems? Should I get Windows 7 or hold out until the next Windows follows?

Win 7 is a great OS butt if your PC os old make sure it has enough memory. I struggled with 2 gigs for awhile. Last year I finally bough 8 gigs for about £25. What a difference it made.

Also Win 8 looks like it's aimed for the MS Tablet than a desktop OS. Lots of reports of distaste.

Win 7 I think is just as good as XP was in it's day.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

Post #: 14
RE: Windows 7 - 6/22/2012 12:45:04 AM   
uncc

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Hi Rosseau, I wish I could help in that department but my intention is to start from scratch with a new HD and a FULL version of windows 7 and I'm not going to put ANY games on my computer. Game have gotten out of control for me and I really need to quit cold turkey. So this will be maybe my third try at quitting computer games. This time I'm going to give all my games to a custodian to hold onto until I retire or something.

...aaaaahem...if you want to send them my way, I'll take good care of them for you...and I'll send them back to you whenever you ask.....sure thing....no problem..................so....ah......what games are we talking here?

< Message edited by uncc -- 6/22/2012 12:46:56 AM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)

Post #: 15
RE: Windows 7 - 6/22/2012 1:09:14 AM   
Gary Childress

quote:

I've been using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit pretty much since it came out and I can not think of many games that it won't run. If you've been running XP for 10 years, you may want to run this first:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

I did have one or 2 hardware issues when I upgraded (had an old HP 6MP printer that wouldn't work w/Win 7. Resolved by getting a LPT<-->USB cable. Also had an old HP scanner that I just had to give up on). Other than that, been quite happy with Windows 7 and have no plans to upgrade to Windows 8....

p.s. the Win 7 Pro version comes with Windows XP Mode (run Win XP as a VPC), so you can still keep WinXP for those really old apps/games that need it...

Thanks for the link!

Well, I already have a couple people picked out whom I'm thinking of giving my games to for safe keeping. I appreciate the offer though.

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War

(in reply to uncc)
Post #: 16
RE: Windows 7 - 6/22/2012 1:28:40 AM   
Gary Childress

OK. I ran Windows 7 Advisor and it gave me a couple flags.

The most troublesome flag to me is the one that says NVIDIA PhysX is not compatible. I'm not sure what NVIDIA PhysX is but if it has something to do with the driver for my video card then that may be a problem.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 6/22/2012 1:30:42 AM >

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War

Post #: 17
RE: Windows 7 - 6/22/2012 1:38:33 AM   
doomtrader

You will have to update your gpu drivers.

Post #: 18
RE: Windows 7 - 6/22/2012 1:42:52 AM   
uncc

Well .Net is up to version 4, so you will definetly want to update that ... and PhysX is up to 9.12. Running Windows Update and installing the latest nVidia driver would be a good start....

Also, I'm running PaintShopProX on Windows 7 Pro, so you may just need to update that as well....

< Message edited by uncc -- 6/22/2012 1:47:43 AM >

Post #: 19
RE: Windows 7 - 6/22/2012 1:54:04 AM   
Gary Childress

quote:

Well .Net is up to version 4, so you will definetly want to update that ... and PhysX is up to 9.12. Running Windows Update and installing the latest nVidia driver would be a good start....

Also, I'm running PaintShopProX on Windows 7 Pro, so you may just need to update that as well....

THanks. I updated PhysX just now and ran the compatability tool again and this time it didn't come up. I only have 2 gigs of RAM though. That's the minimum requirement from what I can tell so I'll go to the computer store tomorrow and see about putting some more RAM in. I'll probably get the 64 bit Win 7 while I'm there.

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War

(in reply to uncc)
Post #: 20
RE: Windows 7 - 6/22/2012 2:47:45 AM   
uncc

It really depends on your current hardware. A 32-bit version of Windows will be able to use about ~3GB of RAM.
Here are the upper RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7 64-bit:

• Starter: 8GB
• Home Basic: 8GB
• Home Premium: 16GB
• Professional: 192GB
• Enterprise: 192GB
• Ultimate: 192GB

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/max-memory-limits-for-64-bit-windows-7/4254

< Message edited by uncc -- 6/22/2012 2:49:27 AM >

Post #: 21
RE: Windows 7 - 6/22/2012 2:52:19 AM   
junk2drive

If you are not going to play any games then I suggest a FREE linux OS like ubuntu. The latest release is 12.04 LTS, which means 2012, month 04, Long Term Support which will be 5 years. There will be minor updates along the way. There are plenty of open source freeware programs that do most anything that Windows does. You can't beat free. And you can dual boot with XP if you want to play a game.

Post #: 22
RE: Windows 7 - 6/22/2012 3:05:49 AM   
uncc

...He's a gamer....he'll be back!

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 23
RE: Windows 7 - 6/22/2012 3:06:47 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

If you are not going to play any games then I suggest a FREE linux OS like ubuntu. The latest release is 12.04 LTS, which means 2012, month 04, Long Term Support which will be 5 years. There will be minor updates along the way. There are plenty of open source freeware programs that do most anything that Windows does. You can't beat free. And you can dual boot with XP if you want to play a game.

What he said My sister used to have many problems with the computer. Windows's fault! And of course I was the "repairman"... Then one day I said "enough is enough". I installed Ubuntu... Same thing with the nephew (14 years) and the niece (8 years). They all have Ubuntu (they had no choice eh!). Zero problems, they don't bother me anymore

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 6/22/2012 3:09:14 AM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 24
RE: Windows 7 - 6/22/2012 3:09:03 AM   
Gary Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

FREE would be great but I'd like to stay fluent in Windows for career purposes. So I'll probably blow the dust off my wallet and get the Windows 7.

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 25
RE: Windows 7 - 6/22/2012 3:37:10 AM   
junk2drive

Then let your boss buy Win7 for the work computers and stay fluent on the job. Meanwhile you can learn the OS that most servers use.

The above is meant to be tongue in cheek, I get what you are saying.

Post #: 26
RE: Windows 7 - 6/22/2012 4:35:35 AM   
apathetic lurker

My win 7 64bit just hates Railroad tycoon II and III...So I keep ole Rusty going for the oldies......

My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 27
RE: Windows 7 - 6/22/2012 5:25:26 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

As a guy in IT, I can say that yes, you definately can continue to get by with XP, up until Microsoft stops being so generous and ends all support for XP like they did Windows 98 back in the day. For all the flak MS takes I think it's fairly impressive that they've continued to faithfully support XP for over 10 years, even though they've debuted not just one but TWO newer O/S's to succeed it. (and yes...i know Vista had issues but overall it wasn't as bad as people liked to portray it.) I figure with Windows 8 looming on the horizon, XP support days are numbered. Until that happy (or unhappy) day, you can continue to get by with XP just fine. Lots of businesses still use it, including my own (along with a growing number of Win7 boxes) Just the other day had a vendor for our AV equipment come in. I was his chapporone....he pulls out the ol' laptop. What's he running? XP.

Windows 7 is a solid product so there's no real fear of upgrading. However be aware that it is not compatible with alot of older games. So if your a legacy game fan like me......you'll need a seperate XP box or a partition with XP on hand for those moments if you upgrade.

32 bit vs. 64 bit. Depends. 32 bit is still ok for a choice unless your a multi-tasker and run lots of programs at the same time. In those situations 64bit comes in handy because you can utilize more than the 3-3.5 Gigs of RAM out of 4Gigs that marks the limits of 32 bit O/S's However MS did a neat thing with Windows 7 making the choice easier. They include both 32/64bit versions in the same purchase. (Full install at least)

Given past negative experiences I do NOT recommend purchasing any upgrade verisons. Go with the full install and back up any files you have before doing so.

Right now my main laptop runs Win7 x64/OS-X Snow Leopard and Umbuntu 64bit. I have an old Pentium 4 i use as an XP/Win98 box.

Post #: 28
RE: Windows 7 - 6/23/2012 1:11:42 AM   
Gary Childress

Well, I just successfully installed Win 7 on my machine and am posting this from it. So far so good. I bought a brand new hard drive and installed Windows clean. I don't have a single game on my PC now. We'll see how long that lasts.

Seriously, though, I am going to try to give up gaming. I just can't manage my time well when games are involved.

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 29
RE: Windows 7 - 6/23/2012 1:55:50 AM   
oldspec4

I did a fresh install of Win 7 (64 bit) about a year ago with the idea of seriously reducing the games installed on my hard drive.

One year later, I count 21 games in my desktop games folder

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Windows 7 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI