Miniatures battle

Frank Hunter's Campaigns on the Danube is an operational study of the campaigns along the Danube in 1805 and 1809. Campaigns on the Danube's system focuses on trying to present the player with the same sort of decisions placed on their historical counterparts; how to feed an army and move that army according to a plan, all the while trying to fight a campaign. There is also an option to allow players to play out the battles with miniatures and input the results.
jimmyqjr

Miniatures battle

Post by jimmyqjr »

Greeting all and sundry (designers, publishers, and players).

I am writing concerning Campaigns on the Danube, which I find very entertaining. Specifically, I have issues regarding the ‘resolve using miniatures battles’ option to resolve battles. You see, I am a rabid fan of Napoleon’s Battles by the now defunct Avalon Hill; I enjoy playing it solitaire. So I'd like to marry both games using NB to resolve battles, and CotD for operational movement.

I was at first distressed to read in the manual that the miniatures option was only available for 2-player games. After some experimentation, it seems that it allows a miniatures resolution in solitaire CotD. Which is good.

However, I have a couple questions regarding the interface and inputs for “telling the computer” what the outcome of the battle was. After the game is saved, you are forced to reload the game and load the mini.adx(?) file. No problem so far. However, I run into a problem when entering the results. First, the popup has three choices that are marked; Who won? But that’s it… in my version these “Who won?”s are not labeled. I’ve tried all three variations with no seeming difference as to the result. Now, just to clarify, after one of these three is chosen, it brings you to the next stage where you input the Casualties, Fatigue, and Morale (all not labeled but relatively easy to figure out) for all forces involved. Self-explanatory.

So, the issue I have is that in the computer battles, the loser of the battle withdraws (“Fallback” orders) towards their retreat point. However, I cannot emulate this behavior subsequent to my miniatures battle being resolved due to the above mentioned issue (I assume that this is related to the “Who Won?” issue). I can enter casualties, fatigue, and morale, but not influence the behavior of the corps or divisions after the battle. As was mentioned in the designers notes, it seems to me more fulfilling if the small scale battles (miniatures) are tied to the big operational picture. Yet other than entering casualties, fatigue, and morale, it doesn’t seem that you can influence the post battle behavior of the formations that are defeated.

Any assistance with this matter is appreciated.
Kai

RE: Miniatures battle

Post by Kai »

Doesn't the loser retreat after you enter the miniatures results?

Return to “Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809”