Matrix Games Forums

War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today! Warhammer - Weapons of WarFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best strategy for Axis Breakthrough ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Best strategy for Axis Breakthrough ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best strategy for Axis Breakthrough ? - 6/21/2012 5:52:54 PM   
mantrain

Should Axis be attacking all throughout the line? What seems better is to overwhelm specific points (perhaps points of lesser fortress value) and to breakthrough, then run units above and below that point into the breakthrough. Admittedly this does mean that we are stripping the line as the line units moves up or down to the breakthrough point. but to have all units attacking at or near their starting position seems like seems like it will provide the Allies with their full defensive values.
Post #: 1
RE: Best strategy for Axis Breakthrough ? - 6/21/2012 8:00:02 PM   
HITMAN202

Are you talking about the first turn or later ??? The question you're really asking is by what means do the Axis put the biggest hurt on the Soviets. And that is by isolating units by creating pockets that are quickly reduced.

I'm a maturing NOOBE, but the strategy the Germans use is based on the fact that their PZ Corp have a unmatched manuverability. Using your infantry divisions, you make openings in the Soviet lines that these units widen and exploit. You do not plan to "attack" Soviet line across their front. You plan to crack it ( make an opening, maybe a tiny one) and use your mech units to run roughshod in their rear to isolate units.

And an ignored issue is you want to make pockets that are quickly reduced. A huge pocket of isolated units can often be resupplied by Soviet cavalry units for several turns (they have decreased movement penalties in ZOC) and delay an German offense as an additional 2-3 turns are needed to reduce the large pocket. Smaller pockets can be made air=tight and easily reduced in the next turn: the German juggernaut quickly move to isolate other units in the weakened line.

Eventually the Germans have to attack fortified hexes head on, but this principal is none-the-less the same as many AAR's show a huge network of Soviet forts in front of Moscow surrounded by a double envelopment of PZ HQBU that had seemed almost impossible to do.

Look at AAR's of Pelton, Q-Ball (one in which he played the Soviets against Tarhunnas) and Michael T. Copy them. HQBU's are the heart and sole of their strategy too. You've have to master it.

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 2
RE: Best strategy for Axis Breakthrough ? - 6/22/2012 12:01:26 PM   
timmyab

If I understand you correctly then I think you're right, it's best not to concentrate too obviously for an impending offensive.In fact do the opposite, concentrate phantom armies behind vulnerable looking points in the Soviet defense.If it's done properly it's impossible to distinguish between a real buildup and a phony one.In fact the phony one should be more convincing.Broken down divisions are very good for this, especially spare armor, also broken down infantry, security divisions and spare HQ units.Keep the broken down divisions at least three hexes from the nearest Soviet unit and keep it all hidden if the terrain allows it just as you would for a real buildup.In the Eastern Ukraine where there's not much covered terrain, the armor can be displayed to air recon and these phantom armies look even more convincing.

In the real assault zone it's absolutely vital that the enemy gets no hint of what's coming so keep most of the armor away.In open terrain areas this may have to be a fair distance for some of it.Better that than to have an alerted opponent.This armor can also act as a decoy if placed behind the front line, say 10 to 15 hexes away from the target hexes, drawing defenders towards it and weakening the assault zone.The nearest, (at least three hexes from nearest enemy), non-open terrain should be reserved for armor, but don't overdo it in open terrain areas or the three stacks will draw attention.Sometimes the assault infantry can't be hidden, this is a problem, but still keep them three hexes from the front line.Good Soviet players will recognize the best German infantry and it's a dead giveaway.The rest of the infantry can be drawn from the nearby front lines and others railed in later.

All this seems like a lot of bother and a waste of MPs, but it more than pays off when your assault goes through the Soviet defense like a knife through butter and the armor slices through thin air behind it.

< Message edited by timmyab -- 6/22/2012 12:02:42 PM >

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Best strategy for Axis Breakthrough ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI