Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Africa Korps in WitW 1940-1943??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> OT: Africa Korps in WitW 1940-1943?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Africa Korps in WitW 1940-1943?? - 6/21/2012 3:35:24 AM   
Footslogger

I can't wait till WitW is comes out. I just saw a documentary on the Italains in Africa. Its seems that the Italains had the potential to destroy Waverly's troops. If I the Italians didn't invade Greece, and didn't attack France, and by putting more divsions into Africa; could the Italians themselves have defeated Waverly's troops?

Also, 15th Panzer and the 5th Light Division could have been used to take Greece.

< Message edited by Footslogger -- 6/21/2012 11:10:26 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: OT: Africa Korps in WitW.... - 6/21/2012 12:42:02 PM   
jaw

Sorry but WitW is WitW 1943 - 1945. It begins with the Allied invasion of Sicily (Operation Husky) and does not cover the time period of the operations you reference.

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Africa Korps in WitW.... - 6/21/2012 4:33:51 PM   
Klydon

The Italians were a mess, especially early in WW2.

The issue for them in Africa was not one of manpower (in fact, it could be argued that they had too much manpower when you consider the amount of water alone those troops required. Using pasta rations, which required even more water, was not exactly the smartest thing either). The main issue for the Italians was the quality of their equipment (I don't think they had much of anything that could touch a Matilda) and the lack of training. They didn't have a reliable machine gun either.

These are some of the reasons why the British were able to pull off such a stunning victory and capture an Italian force several times their size in terms of manpower.

Hindsight being what it is, the Germans should have committed forces to Africa right away during the late summer/early fall of 1940, regardless of the objections of the Italians.

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: Africa Korps in WitW.... - 6/21/2012 7:27:38 PM   
RCHarmon

It is interesting to read up on the Italians from the perspective of the German soldier. I have read a few accounts and they do vary a bit, but I remember one writing by an Afrika Corp tanker that said the Italian soldier was a good soldier, but their officers were deficient and their equipment was all junk.

I read an article that gave a good history of the Italians on the Eastern Front. The Italian soldier was asked too much of. It was more the lack of equipment and especially anti tank weapons that did them in.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: Africa Korps in WitW.... - 6/21/2012 10:20:24 PM   
Footslogger

Here's a thought. You could use the Italians as a garisson force, not involved in any major combat and 15th panzer and the 5th light divsion (like you were saying Klydon) deployed much earlier.

< Message edited by Footslogger -- 6/21/2012 11:12:28 PM >

(in reply to RCHarmon)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: Africa Korps in WitW.... - 6/22/2012 10:17:22 AM   
Naughteous Maximus

Too bad it could not start in Tunisia in late '42 or early '43.

Post #: 6
RE: OT: Africa Korps in WitW.... - 6/22/2012 3:16:29 PM   
kg_1007

I think Africa is expected to be one of the next steps after it..pretty certain I read that somewhere..but even then it is probably 5+ years away as a guess...

(in reply to Naughteous Maximus)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: Africa Korps in WitW 1940-1943?? - 6/22/2012 5:48:09 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

I can't wait till WitW is comes out. I just saw a documentary on the Italains in Africa. Its seems that the Italains had the potential to destroy Waverly's troops. If I the Italians didn't invade Greece, and didn't attack France, and by putting more divsions into Africa; could the Italians themselves have defeated Waverly's troops?

Also, 15th Panzer and the 5th Light Division could have been used to take Greece.
Warspite1

No.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 8
RE: OT: Africa Korps in WitW 1940-1943?? - 6/22/2012 11:26:41 PM   
Dili

The Problem in Africa is Supply. Supply, Supply. And supply to transport supply.

Also it doesn't matter if you have 100000 troops be they Germans, Italians, British or anyone else. If they have no mobility they are sitting ducks, they can be bypassed and their supply lines cutoff by 1/10 or less of troops.

Distance from Berlim to Moscow is less than Tripoli to Cairo and you had several railways and a good comparatively road net in Europe.There was a railway from Alexandria to Marsa Matruh and that was it... and Libya you have the Via Balbia, the only road. And along the coast.

About a wargame, no one touches Mediterranean warfare because no one has been able to make a wargame that is good in Air,Sea,Land and with added special forces like X Mas Flotilla and LRDG. All best wargames ever done can at most be good in 2 of the 3. And most are only good in one.

I expect it to remain that way for a long time. So don't expect a Mediterranean game. A well done one.

< Message edited by Dili -- 6/22/2012 11:34:11 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> OT: Africa Korps in WitW 1940-1943?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI