Matrix Games Forums

Players compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta EstDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. Falken (A) - RA 4.5

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. Falken (A) - RA 4.5 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. Falk... - 6/19/2012 6:03:13 PM   
Kitakami

Well...

After a health (or lack thereof)-enforced hiatus, I have found someone who does not mind to play as slowly as I need to nowadays. This will be a combined AAR which is intended to be a learning experience both for the players and for those with even less experience than us that care to read. Thus, ALL COMENTS ARE WELCOME but, if there is something specific that you think one of the players would prefer to keep from the other side, please PM or email the player privately.

Scenario is Reluctant Admiral, version 4.5, which is new to both of us. I have some idea regarding what to do with the Japanese economy, but I am not a great tactician. My opponent describes himself as a new hand, so it should work well, all things considered.

THIS WILL BE A SLOW GAME. Let me stress the point: THIS WILL BE A SLOW GAME. Both of us have time constraints that preclude any semblance of anything near 1 turn/day. Yet, a human opponent is always more interesting than the AI, so we have decided to give it a shot.

House Rules:

The House Rules we have settled for are:

1. No strat bombing of Industry/Oil/Refineries in China or DEI by either side. Bombing of manpower is allowed. Strat bombing anywhere else is allowed.
2. Fighters can sweep and/or fly CAP/LRCAP at best and second best manouver altitude bands only.
3. If a player feels something is gamey/amiss or is just peeved with anything for any reason, we will talk about as soon as it surfaces.
4. Amphibious assaults only at dot and regular bases. No sub-borne amphibious assaults.
5. Must pay PP to move restricted units out of the country they are currently in. Two exceptions: India Command units can enter Akyab, and Kwangtung Army units can enter Korea.
6. No transfer of American units from the Philippines to the Chinese mainland. Other commands are OK.
7. Any allied air units based in China must be supported by base force units of the same nationality. In other words, if you want to base American B-17s in China, there must be an American base force or engineer unit at the airfield with enough AV support to handle the planes.
8. No 4E naval bombing below 10,000 feet until 1943 except for seaplanes.
9. B29s cannot be used for naval attacks.
10. No New TFs can be formed on turn one. Any existing TF can be altered. This goes for BOTH sides.
11. Only one Japanese port attack on turn one.
12. 10k minimum altitude on night bombing.
13. Dutch (incl KNIL) & Phillipine land units may not be moved out of the DEI/Phillipines
14. Dutch ships must not operate in the Pacific.
15. No British ships in Pacific until 1943
16. If one of us makes a big mistake, or if there is any other discussed and agreed reason, a turn may be redone.

Interestingly, I suggested rules that limit the Japanese more than the Allies, and Falken suggested rules that limit the Allies more than the Japanese.

Settings:

Fog of War: ON
Advanced Wather Effects: ON
Player Defined Upgrades: ON
Historical First Turn: OFF
December 7th Surprise: ON
Reliable US N torpedo: OFF
Realistic R&D: ON
No Unit Withdrawals: OFF
Reinforcements: Variable +/- 15 days

Combat Report: ON
Auto Sub Operations: OFF
Task Force Move Radius: ON
Turn Cycle: 1
Plane Move Radius: ON
Set All Facilities to Expand at Start: OFF
Auto Upgrades: OFF
Accept Air and Ground Replacements: OFF

In the next few days I will be sharing my thoughts regarding Japanese production and research in this scenario. It is a very different beast from stock (even Scen 2) and DaBabes (although the database is DBB-compliant), so it DOES need studying. I wish I had Mike Solli's mind for things logistical, but I will try to apply what I have learned from others, plus a few bits of my own.

As for the name of the AAR, I will follow the example of a certain famous, and valliant, destroyer, and once in a while post about the comings and goings of the three Japanese training cruisers (in this mod): The Kitakami, the Oi, and the Kiso.

Let the war preparations begin!

Tenno Heika Banzai!

Post #: 1
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/20/2012 1:28:39 AM   
Kitakami

Ok... let's begin with the easy stuff (yea, right!)...

Factories

Armament - RA 4.5 has almost 200 armament factories more than DaBabes. But even in DB, I tend to turn some off, at least until I see heavy casualties. I also tend NOT to upgrade everything (it takes too much in resources), but to upgrade and accept replacements in what I am using and I know I will later use. Manchukuo rarely gets upgrades in the first few years, for example. So, I am going to turn off around 400 armament factories to begin with, until I know what the situation is like (Tracker is very useful for this).

Vehicles - This is entirely the opposite. There are never enough vehicle points, as Japanese tanks are rather frail. Although RA 4.5 has 40+ additional vehicle factories, I will increase factory size to 35 across the board, for an additional 95 vehicle factories.

Heavy Industry - In RA 4.5 there are 570 additional HI factories (which consume LOTS of stuff) than DaBabes. These I will let be until I get my bearings. 7545 HI factories seem to me that might be enough, though.

Light Industry - In RA 4.5 there are 200 additional LI factories compared to DaBabes. I wish I couldt turn them off, but can't, so them be the breaks. I am not reparing any.

Resources, Oil and Fuel - According to Tracker, I have enough resources in Honshu/Kyushu/Shikoku to last me for 54 days, oil for 344 days, and fuel for 170. That means the logistical nightmare that is transporting all the stuff back to the Home Islands will have to be designed before turn 1, and setup as soon as safely possible.

Naval Shipyards - There are around 300 additional naval shipyards in RA 4.5, but there is so much to build, that the initial deficit is a bit over 200 points per turn. That means one of two things: I either increase the naval shipyards, or I stop some construction. I am currently siding with the second option, at least to start with. Then, after the initial conquests are finished and the economy has stabilized, we can see.

Merchant Shipyards - There are over 80 additional merchant shipyards in Ra 4.5, and the initial situation is a surplus of about 400 points. Since I intend NOT to build quite a few of the smaller merchantmen, I will begin by turning off almost 400 and see where that gets me. Since there is no lead-in time required when you turn shipyards on or off, it is just a question of using Tracker to make sure everything is working according to plan.

Repair Shipyards - With the exception of increasing Tokyo to 50 points, I will wait until I conquer Hong Kong, Manila, Singapore and Soerbaja before deciding if I enlarge any repair shipyards. If I do, those mentioned might get the first shot at it.

Airframe Production

Imperial Naval Air Force:
- Initial fighter production is 100 A6M2, which helps quite a LOT. Also, all carriers carry Zeroes, so there is no need to replace planes on board of flattops. I will let it be to begin with, and then will see.
- B5N2 torpedo bombers start at 35. A little low for my taste, as I'd rather turn a factory off later than to have to increase its size. I am increasingt this factory to 60.
- C5M2 recon planes production set to 8 using a spare airframe factory. Will increase size if needed.
- D3A1 dive bomber production likewise is set at 60.
- Jake recon production is set at 30, with the smaller factory turned off.
- G3M2 land bomber production is halted, but the factory is kept, at least for the time being.
- G4M1 land bomber production is increased to 60.
- H6K4 flying boat factory is stopped but kept.
- H8K1 flying boat factory is kept operational. Its production is also increased from 24 to 30.
- L3Y2 transport production is increased to 15.

Imperial Army Air Force:
- Initial Ki-43-Ic fighter production is increased from 32 to 92. The 35-size Ki-27 factory is turned off, and will be converted to Ki-43-Ic if needed.
- Ki-46-II recon plane production is increased to 15.
- All light bomber production, is stopped. The Ki-51 factory is changed to Ki-32 to use the available engines, and because of the bomb load in the Ki-32.
- Ki-21-IIa level bomber production is increased to 60.
- Ki-57-I transport plane production is increased to 30.

Air Research

Navy:
Naval air research will be concentrated on the following planes: A6M5, A7M2, B6N1, D4Y1, G4M2, G8N1, N1K1-J, and P1Y1. Salt and pepper according to taste :)

Army:
Army air research will be concentrated on: Ki-44-Ia, Ki-84a, Ki-102b, Ki-49-Ia, and Ki-67-Ia (including torpedo variant). Again, personal choice as to how much is spent on each.

Engines

Initial engine production is almost 500 above DB. Balancing engine needs is better done using Tracker after having changed air production factory size.

That is all for the time being. Any and all comments are welcome :)

< Message edited by Kitakami -- 6/22/2012 5:55:32 PM >

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 2
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/20/2012 4:10:57 AM   
PaxMondo

Welcome back!  Interesting choices in your economy, looking forward to seeing how they play out.

Pax

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 3
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/20/2012 6:51:38 PM   
Kitakami

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
Welcome back!  Interesting choices in your economy, looking forward to seeing how they play out.

Thanks Pax! It is good to be back playing :)
The economy I am not THAT sure of, with the RA changes and all, but I think at the very least I will not overheat it enough to melt it. Will play it by ear after turn 1, depending on what reports I get.

New, getting back to turn 1...

Ports and airfields

There are several ports that Japan NEEDS to enlarge ASAP, so that resources and oil can be shipped easier. This is what I can do on turn 1:

- Shikuka in the Kuriles: The Karafuto Bde and the 38th Const Co strat there from Toyohara. 20 engineers to add to the 8 already here. Not much by Allied standards, but for the Japanese, that is a lot (sadly)! Target size is 6+
- Hakodate in Hokaido: 7th Div and 27th JNAF AF Unit move there. 56 engineers and 3 eng vehicles. After Hakodate is expanded to size-7, they will move to Sapporo and increase it to size-6.
- Ominato in Honshu: Begins with 80 eng and 14 eng vehicles, but manyare in units that are needed elsewhere. Thus, the 54th Div will strat there to add 53 eng more. Target size is 9.
- Hirosaki/Aomori in Honshu: 53rd Div will strat there to provide 53 eng. Target size is 6.
- Sendai in Honshu: 24 eng and 4 eng vehicles are provided by the 25th Ind Eng Rgt, but the 52nd Div will strat there to add 53 eng more. Target size is 6-7.
- Fusan in Korea needs to be expanded to size-8. Thus, a few Eng Rgts from Manchukuo will strat there.
- Taihoku in Formosa needs to be expanded to size-5. It begins with only 6 Eng and 3 Eng vehicles, so a couple of Eng units will strat from Takao.

There is also an airfield that Japan NEEDS to enlarge:

- Jehol in Manchukuo will be expanded to size-9. Thus all Const Companies in Manchukuo will strat there.

There is one oil producing and refining site that needs to be repaired: Anshan in Manchukuo. That means increasing the size of the airfield, so that there is less supply spoilage there. A few engineer regiments will be sent there too.

There are MANY other ports and airfields that the Japanese needs to expand, but those are more dependent on strategy, and style. The above are necessary for the transport of raw materials to Japan, so that is why I mention them. I am sure it is not THE best way to do it, so I am open to council :)

That's it for now. Will post more when I have the time.

EDIT: mention of Anshan and its repair needs. Edited wording regarding Jehol's expansion.

< Message edited by Kitakami -- 6/25/2012 2:56:49 PM >

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 4
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/20/2012 7:33:52 PM   
John 3rd

Go get 'em! Happily involved with this. If you have Mod questions ask them here or in one of my AARs.

Have fun.

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 5
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/20/2012 8:16:04 PM   
ny59giants

I'm only up to Dec 20th vs Mike S with me as Japan. Its weird to see Mike S playing the Allies for the first time.

Economics
Vehicles - I will increase mine to 200. In another game playing Scenario 2, I didn't have enough for the extra armor and the extra tank division. Not this time.

Naval Shipyard - According to John, he is up to near 1800. So not much of an increase from at start, but I turned off Musashi and many of my I-boats to get things under control. I accelerated Hiyo and she will come in three days after Junyo.

Repair Shipyard - Doing the same thing with Tokyo!

Vals and Kates went to 45 for me, but you could go higher like you did depending on losses.

Jakes - I went to 45 (could go as high as 60) as I will re-size most of my FPs and take off the second from CA/BBs. Since the CS go in for conversion to CVLs in 2/42, I will need to shuttle them through before the CS go into yards. The FP can fill out later and the Jake is great for naval search in places the Emily are not covering.

Glens - I increase size to 15 so it can use up the remaining engines quickly so the factory can be changed over to something useful in 43.

Sally - I increased to 60 as it will be my main Army bomber until the Helen comes on line.

Anshan (Manchuria) needs lot of supply to repair both Oil and Refineries. Since AF is size 1, then many engineers go here to expand AF to minimize spoilage.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/20/2012 8:41:28 PM   
Kitakami

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I'm only up to Dec 20th vs Mike S with me as Japan. Its weird to see Mike S playing the Allies for the first time.

Agreed. Mike is the archetypal Japanese logisitics master.

quote:

Economics
Vehicles - I will increase mine to 200. In another game playing Scenario 2, I didn't have enough for the extra armor and the extra tank division. Not this time.

Mine will be 210, so we are thinking along similar lines.

quote:

Naval Shipyard - According to John, he is up to near 1800. So not much of an increase from at start, but I turned off Musashi and many of my I-boats to get things under control. I accelerated Hiyo and she will come in three days after Junyo.

I am a little leery of increasing this too much. I will stop a number of subs, definitely. But since we are playing with +/- 15 day delay on reinforcements, that will have to wait for turn 2.

quote:

Repair Shipyard - Doing the same thing with Tokyo!

Definitely! Those CVLs will come in early enough to warrant the expense.

quote:

Vals and Kates went to 45 for me, but you could go higher like you did depending on losses.

I can always turn the factories off if there is too large a surplus. But I feel better if I have the production, just in case.

quote:

Jakes - I went to 45 (could go as high as 60) as I will re-size most of my FPs and take off the second from CA/BBs. Since the CS go in for conversion to CVLs in 2/42, I will need to shuttle them through before the CS go into yards. The FP can fill out later and the Jake is great for naval search in places the Emily are not covering.

Agreed on your take on things. The second Jake factory was just turned off, so if I see the need for more Jakes, I will expand it and turn it on.

quote:

Glens - I increase size to 15 so it can use up the remaining engines quickly so the factory can be changed over to something useful in 43.

I do not see the need for the factory that soon... I have a number of unused factories that I turned off, so I will keep a leisurely pace... unless I need the planes.

quote:

Sally - I increased to 60 as it will be my main Army bomber until the Helen comes on line.

I have been thinking about this. 30 Sallys are too few, I realize, and it IS 4 months until Helens start arriving. Thanks for pointing it out!

quote:

Anshan (Manchuria) needs lot of supply to repair both Oil and Refineries. Since AF is size 1, then many engineers go here to expand AF to minimize spoilage.

THANKS! I had not noticed this! I really did not know about Anshan having unrepaired oil and refineries. Just in case, I checked all production centers, and there are no more, but if you hadn't told me, I'd have missed it completely. I have sent 4 Eng Regts to Anshan to increase the size of the airfield to a more supply hoarding-friendly level.

I will have to look for your AAR... I am sure I can learn much there!

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 7
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/22/2012 7:27:59 AM   
John 3rd

That is the Oil Production facility that never got off the ground in any meaningful way. Here it really helps Manchuria out (once it is repaired).

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 8
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/22/2012 8:45:48 AM   
DivePac88

I am definitely subscribed to this match, and good luck there Kitakami.

EDIT: Just a suggestion; that you will probably need to build some more C5M2 Babs, before the J1N1-C Irving comes on line in 11/42.

< Message edited by DivePac88 -- 6/22/2012 8:51:52 AM >

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 9
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/22/2012 12:47:21 PM   
Kitakami

@John 3rd: It will definitely be a big help, yes :)
@DivePac88: I have chosen the D4Y1-C as my recon plane, but you are right. A small production factory of C5M2 is in order, as there are several factories that have been stopped.

Thanks to both of you. I hope to post something more meaningful either today or tomorrow... have been fighting with Chinese garrison requirements the last few hours I have been able to put into this game.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 10
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/22/2012 2:07:58 PM   
ny59giants

China - The greater Shanghai area has required me to send unit "A" to point "B" to free up unit "C" to move to point "D" so a full strength division can be freed up. Its going to take most of December just to reorganize my garrison requirements so I have the troops to conduct an offense. Fun! Fun!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 11
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/23/2012 1:19:15 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

China - The greater Shanghai area has required me to send unit "A" to point "B" to free up unit "C" to move to point "D" so a full strength division can be freed up. Its going to take most of December just to reorganize my garrison requirements so I have the troops to conduct an offense. Fun! Fun!

Yep, that's the IJ for Dec in China ... a lot of shuffling around to free up combat troops.

Pax

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 12
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/23/2012 11:30:28 PM   
Kitakami

@ny59giants & PaxMondo: it is... involved... to say the least. But it IS part of the fun, no? I do intend to make some attacks before december is over, though... I do not want my opponent to have too much time to entrench.

Progress report:

I finally finished the land part of CMK, the Home Islands, and most other places. There are a few invasion TFs I need to tweak, but most of it is already done. I stress the MOST. I have at least put a bit of spice on the Japanese turn 1, since this scenario allows for some. We'll see if it works :)

I still have to go through all air units combing them for veterans, and change quite a number of mission profiles in certain areas. Still, the worst (at least for me) is over, the land unit planning, moving, setting objectives, etc. I hope to send turn 1 to my esteemed opponent within a week.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 13
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/24/2012 7:34:24 AM   
Kitakami

Ok... turn sent to my esteemed oponent.

I did some things that I had never done before, so it may be an interesting turn in more ways than one. I tried not to be gamey, but I did try to be creative :)

We will see how I fared in a few days.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 14
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/24/2012 9:14:38 AM   
DivePac88

Worst turn of the Pbem game is turn one for us JFBs, as my tummy is always in knots waiting for it.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 15
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/24/2012 2:38:06 PM   
Kitakami

@DivePac88: agreed!

My turn 1 in this game can be summed up as follows (can't say too much until the turn is run):

- ONE port strike (as per HRs)
- ONE island amphibious assault preceded with a naval bombardment... the question is where, and if it will succeed :)
- FOUR other amphibious landings... all of them standard fare.
- TWO parachute assaults. One I have seen in other AARs, the other I am not sure of.
- MANY tweaks in air mission orders... including an unorthodox decision that may pay off... or may cost me dearly in planes and pilots.
- A GAZILLION movement orders, both land and sea... which include the attempt to bag as many ships in the PI as possible.
- Setting up the air training system.

Turn 1 would have been much more involved, were it not for the HR stating that neither side may form new TFs on turn 1. So the minor nightmare (for anyone not named Mike Solli, that is) of setting up the raw material convoys was left for turn 2. Still I am certain there are a few mistakes I overlooked, which is why I fret.

Will post turn results as soon as I have them.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 16
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/24/2012 2:42:24 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kitakami

Still I am certain there are a few mistakes I overlooked, which is why I fret.

Pretty much every turn is like that for me.

Pax

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 17
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/24/2012 3:12:18 PM   
Falken

Hi,

This is my first post in our combined AAR. I am extremely happy to be playing w/Kitakami. Although he refers himself as a relative Newb, I have a funny feeling that I'm going to get pounced on by my opponent... :)

Although I have played WITP/WITP AE since 2006, I really do consider myself a newb at this game. This is my first PBEM because, as my opponent has stated earlier, work schedules does not promote 1 turn/day games for us. So it's been AI since day 1. I do know a lot of the overall generalities of the Pacific War, as I am of a fan of it, but I am in no way an expert in the details. It was one of the reasons that I bought this game to begin with, so that I can learn those details.

Although we are playing RA (which I've been following since I first saw the earliest of threads on it), I will be playing my turn 1 as historical as I can make it. I am only going to review everything on day 1, make sure no A/C setting is going against our house rules, and make sure Force Z is heading for disaster at Mersing/Kota. I am going to spend most of my Turn 1 making notes for my second and future turns.

Although I will not be mentioning any future plans in this AAR, I will write about results and war plans that have already occurred. I will make plenty of mistakes, probably lose a lot of ships early on in the process, but since i'm the Allies, that's ok. It is a five year war. I have time to learn and recover (as Allies).

Even if Kitakami completely destroys me in this game, I know that I will have a lot of fun playing it. One, because I'm playing with a what I consider, a very good opponent, and two, it will be a tremendous learning experience for me, which I can then use for future PBEMs, and hopefully, be a better opponent later on.

Hopefully, I will return the save game to my opponent within a couple of days (unless I decide not to sleep...and finish faster.... )

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 18
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/24/2012 3:52:49 PM   
John 3rd

Am looking forward to your game guys. Thanks for choosing the Mod and I hope you are happy with it.

Have you updated to the 4.6 version? Michael caught some issues with several Japanese LCU and Air Groups being accidentally static. We fixed that. FatR fixed another small issue as well. Anything strange or wrong that you find please contact me so we can fix it.

Enjoy the bombs and Torps falling!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Falken)
Post #: 19
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/24/2012 3:56:41 PM   
Kitakami

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd
<snip>
Have you updated to the 4.6 version?
<snip>
Enjoy the bombs and Torps falling!

No, I haven't... had laready done a lot of the turn under 4.5, so I decided not to restart under 4.6. Can it be patched just by saving the scenario?

And thanks for the good wishes!

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 20
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/24/2012 4:51:21 PM   
John 3rd

YES! It is not a problem. Michael and I have done without issue.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 21
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/24/2012 5:02:54 PM   
Captain Cruft

Can you explain why Jehol needs to go to a size 9 airbase please?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 22
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/25/2012 2:52:39 PM   
Kitakami

@Captain Cruft: The 2nd Air Div of the IJAAF is restricted to Manchukuo. Although the game allows the Japanese player to just buy out the HQ with PPs and take all air units with it for free, I find it a bit... gamey... for my taste. So what I do is move the HQ and its bombers to Jehol, and do missions in China. A larger airfield means more arplanes operational and better service turnaround. You do not NEED a level-9 airbase, but it is nice if you can get it to that size. Besides, there a a number of Const units in Manchukuo that do not have much else to do except build.

I have edited the wording in my previous regarding Jehol to reflect the fact that expanding its airfield is a need, but getting it to size-9 is a preference. Thanks for helping me write more clearly.

< Message edited by Kitakami -- 6/25/2012 2:56:13 PM >

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 23
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/25/2012 3:43:44 PM   
John 3rd

I did the same thing and bumped Jehol up to Sz-9. It works well and you can bomb just about anywhere in northern China.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 24
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/25/2012 11:06:42 PM   
Falken

Ok,,,, Just finished my Allied turn for day 1.

Basically, verified everything, checked each and every A/C to make sure that our house rule was intact, made plans (didn't change yet) for all current TFs, and made sure that Force Z was heading for the killzone. Some people try to save Force Z right away, but i'm keeping all TFs to their original destinations as per day 1 history. If it survives the attack, then all bets are off.

Since I was checking all of the bases anyway, did some checking on what's different in RA. Although it hurts my side for a while, I really really like the fact that the WC is currently low on everything, including supplies and fuel. Allies get enough extras, it's nice to know that i'm at least strained for a while. (guess i'm a glutton for punishment...)

However, John or anyone else, something strange occurred that we didn't anticipate. Note that this is related to WITP, and not RA. When I started my side of turn 1, I notified Kitakami that the Combat Animations and Combat Summaries were "off". Through agreement, I turned them "on" before saving my turn; however, when Kitakami loaded up the turn, it did not run through the animations. It was still turned off on his side.

Is it safe to say that only the IJN side can set preferences, and the Allied side is "overwritten" automatically?

Not sure if we did something in the wrong order. I would have thought that as long as the run didn't run, that my setting of the animations and summaries would have worked???

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 25
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/25/2012 11:16:18 PM   
ny59giants

The Japanese player has more control over in game Preferences than an Allied player. The Combat Replay and Animations can only be done by Japan. When doing his orders, he can hit the "P" key to bring up Preferences. Those NOT greyed out, can be changed. Each side can micro-manage the speed of each part of the Combat Replay using both the left and right click. Nice to have the ground combat go faster when having large stacks of units involved.

My new game as Allies had my Japanese opponent forget to turn these two options on, but was able to get them started after the first few turns.

(in reply to Falken)
Post #: 26
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/26/2012 9:31:54 PM   
Kitakami

I will turn those options ON for turn 1. Now, the Dec 7th, 1941 combat report and comments:

Dec. 7th, 1941:

Air strikes:

Pearl Harbor not the best I have seen, not by a VERY long shot. And that includes the fact that only one port could be attacked, so I threw even the kitchen sink against it. Anyway:

quote:

Morning Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 180,107

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 45 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 67
B5N2 Kate x 123
D3A1 Val x 147

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 12 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 3 destroyed by flak
D3A1 Val: 10 damaged

Allied Ships
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 9, Torpedo hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB Nevada, Bomb hits 7, Torpedo hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
AM Bobolink, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 5, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 9, Torpedo hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 9, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB California, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 7, Torpedo hits 3, heavy fires
DMS Trevor, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Laida, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
CA New Orleans, Bomb hits 1
CA San Francisco, Bomb hits 2
CL Honolulu, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CL Detroit, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Helm, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
AR Medusa, Bomb hits 1
DD Shaw, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires

Repair Shipyard hits 4
Port hits 29
Port fuel hits 3

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
Port Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
27 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Port Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
13 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet
14 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
24 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
10 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet
12 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
21 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 9000 feet
Port Attack: 1 x 800 kg AP Bomb
10 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet
9 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
24 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 9000 feet
13 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
12 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet
7 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
City Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
23 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
2 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
6 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
7 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
5 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
9 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
6 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
5 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
12 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
7 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
City Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'

quote:

Afternoon Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 180,107

Raid detected at 111 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 47 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 22
B5N2 Kate x 24

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-36A Mohawk: 1 destroyed
P-40B Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
BB California, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Repair Shipyard hits 5
Port hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 9000 feet
City Attack: 1 x 800 kg AP Bomb
13 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 9000 feet

CAP engaged:
18th PG/19th PS with P-40B Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 15 minutes
15th PG/45th PS with P-36A Mohawk (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 10000
Raid is overhead

Training flight from 18th PG/19th PS has been caught up in attack
Training flight from 15th PG/45th PS has been caught up in attack

Total ships sunk: 1. An AM!!!! At least 2x BBs swallowed four fishes and 4x BBs swallowed three. And the other two BBs got an 800 Kg bomb each, at least. That puts all of them out of the picture for a while... but I am certain that they will come back to haunt me :S

The Philippines fared better but I did take a risk I hadn't taken before. Look at the bombing altitude. I decided to take the risk on the surprise turn, but I will not continue from turn 2 onwards... AAA would do me in.

First, the sweeps:
quote:

Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Raid detected at 28 NM, estimated altitude 3,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 27

Allied aircraft
P-26A x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-26A: 3 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
27 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet *

CAP engaged:
6th PS PAAC with P-26A (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(6 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 3 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 42 minutes

quote:

Morning Air attack on Clark Field , at 79,76

Raid detected at 33 NM, estimated altitude 3,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 27

Allied aircraft
P-40B Warhawk x 2

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-40B Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
27 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet

CAP engaged:
24th PG/Hq Sqn with P-40B Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 4 minutes

For some odd reason which I can't fathom, the Chutai that should have swept Iba, escorted the Manila raid instead :/

Then, the bombers:

quote:

Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Raid detected at 32 NM, estimated altitude 5,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18
G4M1 Betty x 27

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 4 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
SOC-1 Seagull: 4 damaged
SOC-1 Seagull: 1 destroyed on ground
PBY-4 Catalina: 26 damaged
PBY-4 Catalina: 1 destroyed on ground
P-40E Warhawk: 7 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied ground losses:
12 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Airbase hits 13
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 30

Aircraft Attacking:
26 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

quote:

Morning Air attack on Iba , at 78,75

Raid spotted at 37 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9
G4M1 Betty x 27

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 28 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 4 destroyed on ground

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported

Airbase hits 18
Airbase supply hits 12
Runway hits 61

Aircraft Attacking:
27 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 2000 feet

quote:

Morning Air attack on Clark Field , at 79,76

Raid spotted at 31 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 27

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 19 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 2 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 50 damaged
B-17D Fortress: 1 destroyed on ground
O-47A: 13 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 12 damaged
P-40B Warhawk: 3 damaged
P-40B Warhawk: 1 destroyed on ground

Airbase hits 22
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 66

Aircraft Attacking:
25 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 2000 feet

quote:

Morning Air attack on Cagayan , at 79,89

Raid spotted at 11 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 9

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 11 damaged

Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 31

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 2000 feet

quote:

Pre-Invasion action off San Fernando (80,74)

92 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
DD Inazuma
PB Rokko Maru #2
PB Chohakusan Maru
PB Akitsui Maru
xAP Kamo Maru

Japanese ground losses:
85 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled

Allied ground losses:
71 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled

DD Inazuma firing at 11th PA Infantry Division
PB Rokko Maru #2 fired at enemy troops
PB Chohakusan Maru fired at enemy troops
PB Akitsui Maru fired at enemy troops
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 4,000 yards
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 2,000 yards

quote:

Amphibious Assault at San Fernando (80,74)

TF 8 troops unloading over beach at San Fernando, 80,74

Japanese ground losses:
492 casualties reported
Squads: 24 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 5 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 6 (6 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 6 (6 destroyed, 0 disabled)

75mm T94 Mtn Gun lost overboard during unload of 48th FA Rgt
10cm T91 Howitzer lost in surf during unload of 48th FA Rgt
7.7mm T99 AAMG dropped into water during unload of 48th FA Rgt
75mm T94 Mtn Gun damaged beyond repair during unload of 48th FA Rgt
75mm T94 Mtn Gun damaged beyond repair during unload of 48th FA Rgt
75mm T94 Mtn Gun accidentally lost during unload of 48th FA Rgt
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad accidentally lost during unload of 47th Infantry Rgt
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost overboard during unload of 47th Infantry Rgt
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad accidentally lost during unload of 47th Infantry Rgt
75mm Infantry Gun lost in surf during unload of 47th Infantry Rgt
37mm Type 94 AT Gun lost overboard during unload of 47th Infantry Rgt
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost from landing craft during unload of 47th Infantry Rgt
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost in surf during unload of 47th Infantry Rgt
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost in surf during unload of 47th Infantry Rgt
12 Support troops accidentally lost during unload of 47th Infantry Rgt
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost in surf during unload of 1st Formosa Inf. Rgt
10 troops of a IJA HMG Section lost from landing craft during unload of 1st Formosa Inf. Rgt
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad accidentally lost during unload of 1st Formosa Inf. Rgt
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost in surf during unload of 1st Formosa Inf. Rgt
37mm Type 94 AT Gun damaged beyond repair during unload of 1st Formosa Inf. Rgt
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost from landing craft during unload of 1st Formosa Inf. Rgt
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad accidentally lost during unload of 1st Formosa Inf. Rgt
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost from landing craft during unload of 1st Formosa Inf. Rgt
12 Support troops lost overboard during unload of 1st Formosa Inf. Rgt
12 Support troops lost overboard during unload of 1st Formosa Inf. Rgt
Motorized Support accidentally lost during unload of 4th Tank Rgt
Motorized Support dropped into water during unload of 7th Tank Rgt
Type 89A Medium Tank lost from landing craft during unload of 7th Tank Rgt
Type 89A Medium Tank lost in surf during unload of 7th Tank Rgt
16 troops of a IJA Engineer Squad accidentally lost during unload of 48th Engr Rgt
12 Support troops lost in surf during unload of 48th Engr Rgt
Motorized Support accidentally lost during unload of 48th Recon Rgt
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad accidentally lost during unload of Tanaka Det
12 Support troops lost overboard during unload of 40th JAAF AF Bn
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost from landing craft during unload of Tanaka Det
17 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost from landing craft during unload of 28th JAAF AF Bn

quote:

Pre-Invasion action off San Fernando (80,74)

70 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
TB Kamo
TB Kiji
APD Kaki

Japanese ground losses:
15 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
42 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

TB Kamo fired at enemy troops
TB Kiji fired at enemy troops
APD Kaki fired at enemy troops
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 6,000 yards
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 1,000 yards

quote:

Amphibious Assault at San Fernando (80,74)

TF 96 troops unloading over beach at San Fernando, 80,74

Japanese ground losses:
71 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 7 destroyed, 0 disabled

12 Engineers lost from landing craft during unload of 21st Div
16 troops of a IJA Engineer Squad accidentally lost during unload of 21st Div /3
17 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost in surf during unload of 21st Div
12 Support troops lost in surf during unload of 21st Div
17 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad accidentally lost during unload of 21st Div
12 Support troops lost overboard during unload of 21st Div
12 Support troops accidentally lost during unload of 21st Div
12 Support troops lost overboard during unload of 21st Div

quote:

Ground combat at Davao (79,91)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 495 troops, 6 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 37

Defending force 363 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 18

Japanese adjusted assault: 24

Allied adjusted defense: 4

Japanese assault odds: 6 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Davao !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
PBY-4 Catalina: 2 destroyed

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), preparation(-), morale(-)
experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Allied ground losses:
130 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 0 disabled
Units retreated 1

Assaulting units:
1st Para Assault Div /1

Defending units:
1st /101st PA Battalion

The Iba and Clark Field raids produced the intended result: serious runway damage. The Manila raid was not as successful... so I will have to be careful. But I can't really complain overall. Even the Cagayan attack will help, as the B-17s will have a harder time flying offensive missions from there... and the LCUs will have less time to entrench before the Japanese Imperial Army pays them a visit.

I am not sure if landing in San Fernando was worth it or not. It shortened my time to Clark Field for sure, but it increased my disruption, so my losses will be higher, I am sure. We'll see if it was worth it or not in the next two weeks of game time.

Paras are now the easiest way of taking Davao on turn 1, if that is what the Japanese player wants. I did :) With the port in my hands, things will begin moving that way from turn 2.

Now we go to Malaya and its neighboring waters:

quote:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Mersing at 52,82

Raid spotted at 32 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 27
G3M2 Nell x 30
G4M1 Betty x 13

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
G3M2 Nell: 15 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 5 destroyed

Allied Ships
BB Prince of Wales, Torpedo hits 5, and is sunk
BC Repulse, Torpedo hits 6, and is sunk
DD Express
DD Electra
DD Vampire

Aircraft Attacking:
22 x G3M2 Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
13 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
8 x G3M2 Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet

CAP engaged:
No.453 Sqn RAF with Buffalo I (2 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(2 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
Raid is overhead
No.488 Sqn RAF with Buffalo I (7 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(7 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
7 plane(s) intercepting now.
Raid is overhead
No.243 Sqn RAF with Buffalo I (4 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Raid is overhead

quote:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Mersing at 52,82

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 7
G4M1 Betty x 20

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
DD Express
DD Tenedos, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Electra

Aircraft Attacking:
20 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet

CAP engaged:
No.243 Sqn RAF with Buffalo I (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(1 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
Raid is overhead
No.488 Sqn RAF with Buffalo I (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Raid is overhead
No.453 Sqn RAF with Buffalo I (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Raid is overhead

I had hoped to get both capital ships, as my esteemed opponent had put severe historical constraints on himself for turn 1, but bagging the DD was a definite plus. The 5 destroyed Buffaloes are also a bonus, as there will be 5 less fighters defending Singapore in the later stages of the Malaya campaign.

quote:

Morning Air attack on Alor Star , at 49,73

Raid spotted at 15 NM, estimated altitude 2,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 19

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim I: 11 damaged
Blenheim I: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 22

Aircraft Attacking:
19 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 2000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb

quote:

Morning Air attack on Georgetown , at 49,74

Raid spotted at 6 NM, estimated altitude 3,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 25

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IF x 4
Buffalo I x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IF: 1 damaged
Blenheim IF: 1 destroyed on ground

Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 20

Aircraft Attacking:
22 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 2000 feet *

CAP engaged:
No.21 Sqn RAAF with Buffalo I (3 airborne, 6 on standby, 9 scrambling)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters to 15000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 80 minutes
No.27 Sqn RAF with Blenheim IF (1 airborne, 3 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters to 15000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 16 minutes

quote:

Morning Air attack on Kota Bharu , at 51,75

Raid spotted at 11 NM, estimated altitude 21,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
F1M2 Pete x 1
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 22
Ki-27b Nate x 19

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Vildebeest III: 1 damaged
Hudson I: 9 damaged

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported

Airbase hits 5
Runway hits 11

Aircraft Attacking:
22 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 15000 feet *

quote:

Morning Air attack on Kota Bharu , at 51,75

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 5,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
F1M2 Pete x 2
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 55

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 1 damaged
Buffalo I: 1 destroyed on ground
Hudson I: 7 damaged
Hudson I: 1 destroyed on ground
Vildebeest III: 3 damaged
Vildebeest III: 1 destroyed on ground

Airbase hits 18
Airbase supply hits 7
Runway hits 36

Aircraft Attacking:
25 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 100 kg GP Bomb
30 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 100 kg GP Bomb

quote:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Kota Bharu at 51,75

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
F1M2 Pete x 5
Ki-27b Nate x 14

Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 4
Blenheim IF x 3
Buffalo I x 9
Hudson I x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
BB Fuso

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x Hudson I bombing from 6000 feet
Naval Attack: 4 x 250 lb SAP Bomb
4 x Blenheim I bombing from 10000 feet
Naval Attack: 4 x 250 lb SAP Bomb

CAP engaged:
1st Sentai with Ki-27b Nate (9 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(9 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
9 plane(s) intercepting now.
Raid is overhead
11th Sentai with Ki-27b Nate (5 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(5 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
5 plane(s) intercepting now.
Raid is overhead
4 planes vectored on to bombers
Fuso-1 with F1M2 Pete (2 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 20000
Raid is overhead
Yamashiro-1 with F1M2 Pete (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Raid is overhead
1 planes vectored on to bombers
Takao-2 with F1M2 Pete (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Raid is overhead
Atago-2 with F1M2 Pete (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Raid is overhead

quote:

Pre-Invasion action off Kota Bharu (51,75)

39 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
xAK Ayatosan Maru
AK Sakura Maru
AK Sasako Maru
DD Ayanami

Allied ground losses:
106 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

xAK Ayatosan Maru firing at 8th Indian Brigade
xAK Ayatosan Maru fired at enemy troops
AK Sakura Maru fired at enemy troops
AK Sasako Maru fired at enemy troops
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 4,000 yards

quote:

Amphibious Assault at Kota Bharu (51,75)

TF 85 troops unloading over beach at Kota Bharu, 51,75

Japanese ground losses:
188 casualties reported
Squads: 9 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 9 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)

10cm T92 Gun damaged beyond repair during unload of 18th Medium FA Rgt
7.7mm T99 AAMG lost from landing craft during unload of 18th Medium FA Rgt
10cm T92 Gun dropped into water during unload of 18th Medium FA Rgt
12 Engineers lost in surf during unload of 11th Shipping Engr Rgt
12 Support troops lost overboard during unload of 11th Shipping Engr Rgt
12 Naval Support troops lost in surf during unload of 11th Shipping Engr Rgt
15cm T96 Howitzer dropped into water during unload of 3rd Medium FA Rgt /2
12 Engineers accidentally lost during unload of 4th Ind. Engr Rgt
12 Engineers lost from landing craft during unload of 15th Ind. Engr Rgt
12 Engineers lost overboard during unload of 23rd Ind. Engr Rgt
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost from landing craft during unload of 55th Infantry Rgt
12 Support troops lost from landing craft during unload of 55th Infantry Rgt
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost in surf during unload of 55th Infantry Rgt
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost from landing craft during unload of 114th Infantry Rgt /1
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost from landing craft during unload of 114th Infantry Rgt /1
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad accidentally lost during unload of 114th Infantry Rgt /1
12 Support troops lost overboard during unload of 55th Infantry Rgt
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad accidentally lost during unload of 114th Infantry Rgt
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost overboard during unload of 114th Infantry Rgt
12 Support troops lost overboard during unload of 114th Infantry Rgt

quote:

Pre-Invasion action off Kota Bharu (51,75)

28 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
DD Shinonome
xAK Hokuzyu Maru
DD Shirakumo

Japanese ground losses:
11 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
114 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled

DD Shinonome firing at 8th Indian Brigade
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 5,000 yards
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 1,000 yards

quote:

Amphibious Assault at Kota Bharu (51,75)

TF 92 troops unloading over beach at Kota Bharu, 51,75

Japanese ground losses:
24 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

17 troops of a IJA Motorized Squad lost from landing craft during unload of 22nd Recon Rgt
17 troops of a IJA Motorized Squad lost in surf during unload of 22nd Recon Rgt
75mm T94 Mtn Gun lost from landing craft during unload of 18th Mtn Gun Rgt
Motorized Support lost in surf during unload of 22nd Recon Rgt

quote:

Ground combat at Victoria Point (51,66)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 804 troops, 8 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 34

Defending force 531 troops, 12 guns, 1 vehicles, Assault Value = 4

Japanese adjusted assault: 10

Allied adjusted defense: 5

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), preparation(-), morale(-)
experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported

Assaulting units:
1st Raiding Rgt /1

Defending units:
108th/2 Base Force

All in all, a decent turn in Malaya. No Japanes ship was hit by Allied bombers, with even the Petes served the greater glory of the Empire. Also, the Japanese bombers did their share.

I expect Kota Bharu to fall on turn 2... but I have been known to be wrong :) Also, I had hoped to capture Victoria Point with the paratroopers... and I didn't. Will try again next turn.

Borneo:

I tried not to bee too gamey here. That, and in RA there are additional Allied air units that make more careful play the best course of action, I think. So, only one landing on turn 1.

quote:

Pre-Invasion action off Miri (64,87)

7 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
PB Eiko Maru
APD Aoi
AV Sagara Maru

Allied ground losses:
8 casualties reported

PB Eiko Maru fired at enemy troops

quote:

Amphibious Assault at Miri (64,87)

TF 98 troops unloading over beach at Miri, 64,87

Japanese ground losses:
48 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 0 disabled

17 troops of a SNLF Squad accidentally lost during unload of 91st Nav Gd
17 troops of a SNLF Squad accidentally lost during unload of 91st Nav Gd
17 troops of a SNLF Squad lost in surf during unload of 91st Nav Gd

To me, Miri is very important to take early, one of the reasons being that I want to know how damaged it will be. This helps plan other things earlier. I tried to send a force large enough to take it on turn 2. We'll see if I did or not.

Hong Kong:

quote:

Morning Air attack on Hong Kong , at 77,61

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 23

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Walrus II: 1 destroyed on ground

Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 27

Aircraft Attacking:
23 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 6000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 2 x 100 kg GP Bomb

quote:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Hong Kong at 77,61

Raid spotted at 4 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 18

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
DD Thanet
DD Scout

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x G3M2 Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Bombing the airfield went well, but attacking the destroyers did not. I had hoped to hit at least one of them. They will have to be hunted by surface units now.

China:
quote:

Morning Air attack on Changsha , at 82,52

Raid spotted at 26 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 18
Ki-30 Ann x 12

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
DB-3M: 1 damaged
A-29A Hudson: 3 damaged
SB-III: 2 damaged

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 6

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x Ki-30 Ann bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb

The other way of training pilots... bombing in China. Not much damage done, but then not much was expected. I need to get better planes in this theater if I want my pilots to do more.

Now on to the Pacific theater:

Wake:

quote:

Afternoon Air attack on Wake Island , at 136,98

Raid spotted at 9 NM, estimated altitude 4,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 30

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 4 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat: 3 damaged

Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 37

Aircraft Attacking:
29 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 2000 feet

CAP engaged:
VMF-211 Det with F4F-3 Wildcat (5 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
5 plane(s) intercepting now.
Raid is overhead

A decent prelude for what is comming against these Marines soon...

Guam:

quote:

Pre-Invasion action off Guam (106,95)
Defensive Guns engage approaching landing force

6 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
DD Tachikaze
TB Tomozuru
PB Nanpo Maru
PB Kiso Maru
PB Aso Maru #3
APD Nadakaze

DD Tachikaze firing at Guam USN Base Force
TB Tomozuru fired at enemy troops
PB Nanpo Maru fired at enemy troops
PB Kiso Maru fired at enemy troops
PB Aso Maru #3 fired at enemy troops
DD Tachikaze fired at enemy troops

quote:

Amphibious Assault at Guam (106,95)

TF 90 troops unloading over beach at Guam, 106,95

Japanese ground losses:
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Type 97 Medium Tank lost from landing craft during unload of 2nd Tank Rgt

I hope to take Guam next turn. An unusual unit to do this with, I know, but others were (or will be) busy elsewhere.

Midway:

quote:

Naval bombardment of Midway Island at 158,91 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
PBY-4 Catalina: 9 damaged
PBY-4 Catalina: 1 destroyed on ground

16 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
BB Kirishima
BB Hiei
BB Haruna
BB Kongo
DD Hatsushima
DD Nenohi
DD Kasumi
DD Arare
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Yukikaze
DD Yugumo
DD Hatsuzuki
DD Susuzuki

Allied ground losses:
444 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 19 disabled
Non Combat: 9 destroyed, 43 disabled
Guns lost 37 (10 destroyed, 27 disabled)
Vehicles lost 3 (2 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Airbase hits 16
Airbase supply hits 6
Runway hits 47
Port hits 2
Port supply hits 1

BB Kirishima firing at Midway Island
BB Hiei firing at 6th Marine Defense Battalion
6th Marine Defense Battalion firing at BB Hiei
BB Haruna firing at 6th Marine Defense Battalion
6th Marine Defense Battalion firing at BB Haruna
BB Kongo firing at Midway Island
DD Hatsushima firing at Midway Island
DD Nenohi firing at Midway Island
DD Kasumi firing at 6th Marine Defense Battalion
6th Marine Defense Battalion firing at DD Kasumi
DD Arare firing at 6th Marine Defense Battalion
DD Tokitsukaze firing at Midway Island
DD Yukikaze firing at Midway Island
DD Yugumo firing at Midway Island
DD Hatsuzuki firing at Midway Island
DD Susuzuki firing at Midway Island

quote:

Pre-Invasion action off Midway Island (158,91)

17 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
xAK Seattle Maru, Shell hits 1, heavy fires
TB Sagi
AK Sakito Maru

Japanese ground losses:
28 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
12 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

155mm M1918 GPF Battery engaging xAK Seattle Maru at 14,000 yards
TB Sagi firing to suppress enemy battery at 14,000 yards
TB Sagi fired at enemy guns

quote:

Amphibious Assault at Midway Island (158,91)

TF 43 troops unloading over beach at Midway Island, 158,91

Japanese ground losses:
144 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 0 disabled

17 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost from landing craft during unload of Guards Mixed Bde /2
17 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost in surf during unload of Guards Mixed Bde /2
17 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad accidentally lost during unload of Guards Mixed Bde /3
17 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost overboard during unload of Guards Mixed Bde /3
12 Support troops lost overboard during unload of Guards Mixed Bde /3
17 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost in surf during unload of Guards Mixed Bde /5
12 Support troops lost overboard during unload of Guards Mixed Bde /5
17 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost overboard during unload of Guards Mixed Bde /6

quote:

Ground combat at Midway Island (158,91)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 692 troops, 43 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 18

Defending force 6732 troops, 40 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 240

Allied ground losses:
Guns lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Assaulting units:
116th USAAF Base Force
6th Marine Defense Battalion

Defending units:
Guards Mixed Bde /1

quote:

Ground combat at Midway Island (158,91)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 6732 troops, 40 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 240

Defending force 2703 troops, 53 guns, 60 vehicles, Assault Value = 18

Japanese adjusted assault: 154

Allied adjusted defense: 3

Japanese assault odds: 51 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Midway Island !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
PBY-4 Catalina: 7 destroyed

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), fatigue(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+), leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
89 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 10 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1937 casualties reported
Squads: 48 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 199 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 9 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 57 (57 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 76 (76 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 2

Assaulting units:
Guards Mixed Bde /1

Defending units:
116th USAAF Base Force
6th Marine Defense Battalion

With the ability to send the Japanese Guards Mixed Brigade to many places, I chose Midway. I believe that it is better to take it on turn 1, or don't even try to. As things went, I probably sent too strong a force to get it, and there are certain risks... calculated risks... that I took.

Well, that is the combat report of turn 1. With this being a combined AAR, there are things I can't write about until they actually do happen, but please feel free to comment on anything and everything you read in this post. Events that have already happened are free game.

Now, to move several hundred cargo ships, and to send the second wave of invasion forces...

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 27
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/26/2012 9:41:41 PM   
Kitakami

<the bridge of the DNTK Oi>

The radio operator drops the pencil, removes the headphones, and runs to the ship's captain.
"Daisa-sama! An urgent report from Combined Fleet Headquarters". He bowed his head as he used both hands to offer the piece of rice paper to Captain Morishita Nobue.
Captain Morishita took the message with both hands, grunting his acknowledgement. As he unfolded the paper, he could see three kanji that made him smile:
"Operation Mo successful"

It was a good way to start a war.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 28
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/27/2012 12:33:05 AM   
Falken

hmmmm,,

You took my Midway.... I had plans for Midway... You took my Midway...... ggggrrr
The sleeping Giant is now fully awake, and alert, ..... and he's not happy......

Good turn.... enjoy it.... :))))

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 29
RE: The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. ... - 6/27/2012 4:05:35 AM   
Falken

Kitakami,

Watching the replay, the combat report seems to indicate that no A/C were damaged or destroyed on the initial attack to Pearl Harbor. I'll be able to confirm once I load up the turn, but it's interesting none the less.
Was just wondering if this was intentional, or if the Mission Orders didn't go as planned.....

(in reply to Falken)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> The War of the Training Cruisers: Kitakami (J) vs. Falken (A) - RA 4.5 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI