Russian Army Guide

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Schmart

Russian Army Guide

Post by Schmart »

EDIT (19 Sep 2012): Revision 1 to the guide has been uploaded. Not major changes, just some tweaks, updating, and a bit of new information.

Revision 1:
- Added Tank Army HQ creation dates.
- Added information relating to the number of on-map units that are available at the game start and
that arrive as in-game scheduled reinforcements.
- Added additional historical information relating to Mountain Divisions, as well as Airborne Corps
and Guards Airborne Divisions.
- Clarified that Naval Infantry (as opposed to Naval Rifle) Brigades cannot be used for Rifle Division
or Corps build-up.
- Minor adjusting of Tank and Mech Corps, and Artillery Division creation dates.
- Removed requirement to rebuild RIfle Divisions when destroyed or converted to Guards. Now, only
destroyed Divisions should be rebuilt, however further Divisions will need to be created in
addition to those provided as scheduled reinforcements.

I've created a guide for building up the Russian Army. I've attached the file here. The guide is based on the historical order of battle. I suspect that a full historical OOB may be difficult to build given the number of Admin Points per turn, especially if Russian in game losses approach historical losses. However, I also suspect that Russian players may be spending more efforts (APs) on C&C than may have been historical, so that in order to build a more historical OOB AP spending on C&C should suffer, as it probably should, to better simulate poor Russian C&C, especially in 1941 and 1942. In other words, Russian players are faced with the choice of either (unhistorically) maximizing their C&C or building a historical OOB, and won't have the AP resources to do both, at least not before 1943.

I haven't run a full 41-45 Grand Campaign in-game test of this guide against a human opponent. My testing results and lessons in human v. AI is naturally limited, and so this guide should be considered as a 'Beta' product. However, as this guide is based on historical information, it shouldn't be in the position of 'breaking the game', as any good historical wargame should be able to handle the relevant historical information, most of all the OOB! Hopefully over time through usage and input the guide can be refined, and perhaps some positive changes may even come about in the game itself, although there is no official connection between this guide and the game developers.

PS: Is there a way to make this a 'sticky' in the top section of the War Room? Not meaning to toot my own horn, but I think it may be useful enough to warrant a sticky.
Attachments
Red Army Guide Rev 1.zip
(249.98 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
Aurelian

RE: Russian Army Guide

Post by Aurelian »

Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
javats

Post by javats »

much thanks, can do germans fine, but have trouble with soviets
cristianwj

Post by cristianwj »

Good job, it helps a lot!
Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno
governato

Post by governato »

Awesome! It should definitely be a 'sticky'.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Very nice work.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Agree, this should be a sticky, (and all the stickys might be reviewrd for relevancy considering current versions.)
turtlefang

Post by turtlefang »

Nice work!!
Schmart

Post by Schmart »

Revision 1 of the guide uploaded.
juret

Post by juret »

bump
morvael

Post by morvael »

That deserves a sticky as well.

Also - one error could be fixed (Sep Tk Bns upgrade to regiments in 1/43, not 9/42 - this is the date when 42 Sep Tk Regts are available, but Bns update to 43 Sept Tk Regts).

Return to “The War Room”