Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Russian Army Guide

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Russian Army Guide Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russian Army Guide - 6/18/2012 9:39:16 PM   
Schmart

EDIT (19 Sep 2012): Revision 1 to the guide has been uploaded. Not major changes, just some tweaks, updating, and a bit of new information.

Revision 1:
- Added Tank Army HQ creation dates.
- Added information relating to the number of on-map units that are available at the game start and
that arrive as in-game scheduled reinforcements.
- Added additional historical information relating to Mountain Divisions, as well as Airborne Corps
and Guards Airborne Divisions.
- Clarified that Naval Infantry (as opposed to Naval Rifle) Brigades cannot be used for Rifle Division
or Corps build-up.
- Minor adjusting of Tank and Mech Corps, and Artillery Division creation dates.
- Removed requirement to rebuild RIfle Divisions when destroyed or converted to Guards. Now, only
destroyed Divisions should be rebuilt, however further Divisions will need to be created in
addition to those provided as scheduled reinforcements.

I've created a guide for building up the Russian Army. I've attached the file here. The guide is based on the historical order of battle. I suspect that a full historical OOB may be difficult to build given the number of Admin Points per turn, especially if Russian in game losses approach historical losses. However, I also suspect that Russian players may be spending more efforts (APs) on C&C than may have been historical, so that in order to build a more historical OOB AP spending on C&C should suffer, as it probably should, to better simulate poor Russian C&C, especially in 1941 and 1942. In other words, Russian players are faced with the choice of either (unhistorically) maximizing their C&C or building a historical OOB, and won't have the AP resources to do both, at least not before 1943.

I haven't run a full 41-45 Grand Campaign in-game test of this guide against a human opponent. My testing results and lessons in human v. AI is naturally limited, and so this guide should be considered as a 'Beta' product. However, as this guide is based on historical information, it shouldn't be in the position of 'breaking the game', as any good historical wargame should be able to handle the relevant historical information, most of all the OOB! Hopefully over time through usage and input the guide can be refined, and perhaps some positive changes may even come about in the game itself, although there is no official connection between this guide and the game developers.

PS: Is there a way to make this a 'sticky' in the top section of the War Room? Not meaning to toot my own horn, but I think it may be useful enough to warrant a sticky.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Schmart -- 9/20/2012 6:44:14 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Russian Army Guide - 6/18/2012 10:07:45 PM   
Aurelian

Here's a list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Soviet_armies

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 2
RE: Russian Army Guide - 6/18/2012 10:16:12 PM   
Dark_Star

much thanks, can do germans fine, but have trouble with soviets

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 3
RE: Russian Army Guide - 6/20/2012 8:09:09 AM   
cristianwj

Good job, it helps a lot!

(in reply to Dark_Star)
Post #: 4
RE: Russian Army Guide - 6/25/2012 6:34:34 AM   
governato

Awesome! It should definitely be a 'sticky'.

(in reply to cristianwj)
Post #: 5
RE: Russian Army Guide - 8/18/2012 11:58:13 PM   
Aurelian

Very nice work.

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 6
RE: Russian Army Guide - 8/20/2012 3:02:02 PM   
rrbill

Agree, this should be a sticky, (and all the stickys might be reviewrd for relevancy considering current versions.)

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 7
RE: Russian Army Guide - 8/21/2012 2:49:40 AM   
turtlefang

Nice work!!

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 8
RE: Russian Army Guide - 9/20/2012 6:46:44 AM   
Schmart

Revision 1 of the guide uploaded.

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 9
RE: Russian Army Guide - 2/5/2013 9:21:19 PM   
juret

bump

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 10
RE: Russian Army Guide - 2/5/2013 9:30:17 PM   
morvael

That deserves a sticky as well.

Also - one error could be fixed (Sep Tk Bns upgrade to regiments in 1/43, not 9/42 - this is the date when 42 Sep Tk Regts are available, but Bns update to 43 Sept Tk Regts).

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Russian Army Guide Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI