3rd party Battle Export not working?

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderator: MOD_EIA

gcbisset

3rd party Battle Export not working?

Post by gcbisset »

Ive just started playing a solo campaign, but I notice the first battle, which was an attack by an AI power, did not offer me the option of exporting the battle to play in miniature.
Can I be doing something wrong? 3rd Party is enabled in the options.

Please dont tell me I can only export battles initiated by me. It seems this would reduce the battles I could play in miniature to a fraction of the total (and if this is the case, please change this).

Im continuing to play, and yes, it seems some genius decided that a miniature player would only want to export his attacks. As if Wellington wouldnt want to play Waterloo in miniature, or Kutusov Borodino.

I think I have come up with a workaround for this, temporarily, but its not a good one or pretty, so I repeat:

Please change this. Other games give you the option before each battle to do it quick or with their tactical system or to export it. It doesnt seem that this would be that difficult to change. And dont tell me the AI gets to decide this. The AI should not decide this.

If you fix this and let people know about it, I think the utility of EiA will be much greater to wargamers, and you can look at greater sales.

While Im at it, why dont you release the engine with a map editor? Id gladly pay $40 extra for that!

Thanks,

George
gazfun

RE: 3rd party Battle Export not working?

Post by gazfun »

ORIGINAL: gcbisset

Ive just started playing a solo campaign, but I notice the first battle, which was an attack by an AI power, did not offer me the option of exporting the battle to play in miniature.
Can I be doing something wrong? 3rd Party is enabled in the options.

Please dont tell me I can only export battles initiated by me. It seems this would reduce the battles I could play in miniature to a fraction of the total (and if this is the case, please change this).

Im continuing to play, and yes, it seems some genius decided that a miniature player would only want to export his attacks. As if Wellington wouldnt want to play Waterloo in miniature, or Kutusov Borodino.

I think I have come up with a workaround for this, temporarily, but its not a good one or pretty, so I repeat:

Please change this. Other games give you the option before each battle to do it quick or with their tactical system or to export it. It doesnt seem that this would be that difficult to change. And dont tell me the AI gets to decide this. The AI should not decide this.

If you fix this and let people know about it, I think the utility of EiA will be much greater to wargamers, and you can look at greater sales.

While Im at it, why dont you release the engine with a map editor? Id gladly pay $40 extra for that!

Thanks,

George
George we play third party battles anyway using Histwar les Grognards Histwar we find that this is adequate, because in EiA the current player is only one who attacks anyway and he only going to do that if he feels he can win or have a good chance of winning it, lets face it, if the current defender wanted to attack he would do so in his turn.
This is not a hinderance to us at all.

Besides the current EiA area that the battle contact is in, we make an operational map of the area, and manouver to a battle that way on our Campaign Operations Manager program.
and we can edit the results back to EiA, or use the Game admin facilities to move the units, to reposition after the contact
gcbisset

RE: 3rd party Battle Export not working?

Post by gcbisset »

Yes, Ive seen your site. Good work!

I think what youre saying is that you use EiA with human players, so there would not be a problem like I am having, since each human can export the battle. The problem comes when you play against a computer AI (solo).

I read somewhere that 90% of computer gaming is solo, and there is a tremendous amount of solo miniatures campaign playing going on, very little of which involves a computer AI. The person who develops a program that is good for this should make some money.
The reason I play solo instead of by email, or with your fellows, is speed. I am retired and play minis all day, so I need a strategic game that will generate a battle in a few hours, that I can set up for the next day.

I use Age of Rifles for battles. I wish more of the RTS titles had a feature where you could pause and get detailed combat results. I could then use them for miniatures.

Right now I am using TripleA as an extremely simple strategic game that can be translated into miniature games. Today Ill be invading Russia in 1812 (wish me luck!). The computer has retreated into Kiev! Ill use a giant map to give them a chance to evade me. But I would much prefer to use EiA.

I have paid $60 for a program I cannot use. I wish Matrix would fix this, and in the meantime change its advertising for the game to:
"ëxport the battles initiated by human players to miniatures or other games"

Return to “Tech Support”