Dealing with the 001 Critical Error Issue

Achtung Panzer:Operation Star is an Eastern Front wargame with solid graphics and sprawling battlefields that really emphasize the scope of WWII tank combat. The gameplay is a remarkably realistic turn-based and real-time operational/tactical hybrid wargame that continues the series begun by the acclaimed Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943.
Redmarkus5

Dealing with the 001 Critical Error Issue

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Exactly what is causing this error and crash during game play is unclear, but several players have reported it on the Matrix Forum. From what I can gather (please add comments) the error has been seen:

1. After patching to version 7c.
2. In both the Matrix Games and Gamersgate 'versions'.
3. Sometimes when pressing ESC and trying to save a battle in progress.
4. Sometimes in the middle of a battle (Campaign and QB are both affected).
5. Once when entering a battle from the operations map.
6. Often (for me) after ALT-TAB to paste a screen shot into Paint.

The game may also appear laggy leading up to the crash (mine did, anyway).

Possible fixes:

1. I did a complete uninstall and re-install after the game started to crash every few minutes.
2. I also deleted my old profiles and created a new one.
3. I turned off shadows and sharpened images.
4. I selected dual core in the settings - the default game settings said 6 cores, even though my PC is dual core.

The game then ran very smoothly until I did a couple more ALT_TABS and one ESC + Save when it crashed again.

I repeated the re-install and I am now avoiding all ALT_TAB and ESC actions (so no more screenies from me!). So far, the game has been running very smoothly with no more crashes.
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
budd

RE: Dealing with the 001 Critical Error Issue

Post by budd »

Awwww....dont stop the screenies. Just hit f12 and look at the screenies later.I haven't had any crashes with taking shots, I use the in game and gadwin printscreen without issue. I thought T first the error was related to time acceleration, but I had crashes after.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
budd

Post by budd »

One thing I can say is I have never had any on the op map, anyone get the error on the op map. Mine have all been on the tac map. I looked for anything in the directory that had any more info on the error, but I guess it isn't logged anywhere in any detail.

BigJ62

Post by BigJ62 »

Have not had this error with matrix version but neither have I installed 7c.

What does 7c change?
Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: BigJ62

What does 7c change?

Um... actually, the Matrix version might already be at 7c. The 7c patch came out in February. When did Matrix release this game?

Top right hand corner of your main menu screen tells you the current version.

If you have the options to hold fire vs. Infantry or hold fire vs. Air, then you are on 7c or higher, I believe.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

One thing I can say is I have never had any on the op map, anyone get the error on the op map. Mine have all been on the tac map. I looked for anything in the directory that had any more info on the error, but I guess it isn't logged anywhere in any detail.

It happened once when I tried to enter a battle from the op map, but all other cases have been in the battle map itself.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Awwww....dont stop the screenies. Just hit f12 and look at the screenies later.I haven't had any crashes with taking shots, I use the in game and gadwin printscreen without issue. I thought T first the error was related to time acceleration, but I had crashes after.

F12 - I missed that. I have been going 'Print Screen' and then ALT-TAB to Paint. Where do the images get saved if you use F12?
icebox

Post by icebox »

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

F12 - I missed that. I have been going 'Print Screen' and then ALT-TAB to Paint. Where do the images get saved if you use F12?

Achtung Panzer Operation Star\users\scrshots
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

I didn't have that folder. Created it manually and started up the game. F12 still doesn't produce any saved screens in the folder. Am I missing something?

Attachments
scrshts.jpg
scrshts.jpg (128.28 KiB) Viewed 423 times
MengJiao

Post by MengJiao »

It happened once when I tried to enter a battle from the op map, but all other cases have been in the battle map itself.

I've had 3 001 crashes on the battle map and they seem to be related to hitting keys to switch modes (eg esc or enter).
budd

Post by budd »

Redmarkus...check your control settings, see if f12 is assigned to screenshots. Maybe try anotther key? If f12 isn't working for you. All I can think of right now. I've used f12 and gadwin print screen without issue.

budd

Post by budd »

I'm not sure you should have to create your own folder. Mine was just there. I'm also not sure it was in the main directory. I'm at work so i can't look. Maybe search for files and see if another achtung panzer folder comes up. I want to say there is something in my documents, but I'm not sure. I'll look when I get home tonight. My guess is you have a folder, and if have been hitting f12 there in there.

Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Thanks. Had already done both of the above - no joy. Just had a complete black screen lockup in the middle of my Friday evening battle! Gotta start over :(
BigJ62

Post by BigJ62 »

ORIGINAL: BigJ62

What does 7c change?

Um... actually, the Matrix version might already be at 7c. The 7c patch came out in February. When did Matrix release this game?

Top right hand corner of your main menu screen tells you the current version.

If you have the options to hold fire vs. Infantry or hold fire vs. Air, then you are on 7c or higher, I believe.

I have 5.77 (1575) matrix released 23 March.

Did a file compare in folder \Achtung Panzer Operation Star\bin\rel\x86 as compared with the 7c eng patch from www.graviteam.ua/help/download-patches.html and while the date (hour is different) is the same and file sizes are similar the data in them in some cases does not match. IOW some files only have minor differences and others are really different.

So does matrix not have 7c?

BTW tried F12 and it works for me.
Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.
icebox

Post by icebox »

I didn't have that folder. Created it manually and started up the game. F12 still doesn't produce any saved screens in the folder. Am I missing something?

Thats strange.

Attachments
Untitled1k8.jpg
Untitled1k8.jpg (142.23 KiB) Viewed 447 times
icebox

Post by icebox »

I have 5.77 (1575) matrix released 23 March.

Did a file compare in folder \Achtung Panzer Operation Star\bin\rel\x86 as compared with the 7c eng patch from www.graviteam.ua/help/download-patches.html and while the date (hour is different) is the same and file sizes are similar the data in them in some cases does not match. IOW some files only have minor differences and others are really different.

So does matrix not have 7c?

BTW tried F12 and it works for me.

The matrix version is supposed to be up to date but i had black grass with Volokonovka 1942 dlc to begin with and had to apply 07c patch to fix it.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

I'm going to try another reinstall
budd

Post by budd »

Redmarkus do you clean all traces before reinstall? I also installed in a different directory than before, i just install to c drive not into programs.Strange that you didnt have the screenshot folder, i looked, my is also a subfolder of the users folder.i think you said you didnt have the add-ons installed yet, right? I haven't installed the add-ons yet, so far so good. Will post if i get the 001 error again. Good luck with the reinstall.

Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Thanks. I did install the add-ons a few days ago and they were working fine. I am thinking about reformatting my C Drive and installing XP in place of Windows 7.
budd

Post by budd »

Wow thats hardcore,what about just setting up a dual boot environment. Don't thing i could go back to XP, i held out from win7 until last december. I really liked XP, i think 7 works better with multiple cores and with 64 bit or so i read. Try just cleaning all traces out[including registry] and install without the add-ons in a new directory. I read in the forums that it shouldn't be installed in programs or programs x86 in windows7 , you probably read all this already on the other achtung panzer forums [:)]. So far no errors for me, but it's like just waiting for it to happen. It seemed like once you got the first one, they started to happen more frequently. Good luck, hope to see some screenshots from ya soon.

Return to “Achtung Panzer Operation Star”