Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What is a "Composite Squadron"?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> What is a "Composite Squadron"? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What is a "Composite Squadron"? - 6/10/2012 3:39:41 AM   
Knavey

USN has 3 of them. VC-24, VC-26, and VC-28. What was special about the "composite" part of their designation. Google has failed me.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
Post #: 1
RE: What is a "Composite Squadron"? - 6/10/2012 3:57:40 AM   
Dan Nichols

They were squadrons made up of 2( 3 sometimes?) different types of aircraft. I think most of them were on USN CVEs. In the game they have to be two separate air units.

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 2
RE: What is a "Composite Squadron"? - 6/10/2012 4:01:48 AM   
msieving1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavey

USN has 3 of them. VC-24, VC-26, and VC-28. What was special about the "composite" part of their designation. Google has failed me.

Historically, these three squadrons were anti-submarine squadrons.

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/squades.htm

"In the late 1940s and early 1950s the VC squadron designation was used to identify a group of squadrons with several different missions but all assigned the VC designation. Missions for specific Composite Squadrons (VC) included all-weather night, attack and defense; air early warning; anti-submarine warfare; and photographic. The only identifying factor to separate the different types of Composite Squadrons was the numerical designation. In the late 1940s the single digit numbers were for the Composite Night or Attack and Defense units, those numbers in the teens were for Composite Air Warning squadrons, numbers in the 20s and 30s were for Composite Anti-Submarine units, and the numbers in the 60s were for Composite Photographic squadrons."

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 3
RE: What is a "Composite Squadron"? - 6/10/2012 4:21:32 AM   
Dan Nichols

I see now that there are actual squadrons called VC-xx

I was thinking of the VC(F)-xx and VC(T)-xx on a number of CVEs.

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 4
RE: What is a "Composite Squadron"? - 6/10/2012 4:23:52 AM   
Knavey

Saw those...lots of them out there. Found more reference to them than the 3 mentioned. I did find them mentioned on google, but never in depth.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Dan Nichols)
Post #: 5
RE: What is a "Composite Squadron"? - 6/10/2012 10:00:10 AM   
YankeeAirRat

Knavey,

Check out here at the NHHC on squadron designations system

After the war Composite Squadrons became the Squadrons that would be used for the nuclear, night fighting, night attack, Airborne Early Warning, Electronic Attack, photo recon (imagine how best to bring a squadron like VC-5 which at the time had F4U-5N, AD-4NA, AD-4NALs, AJ Savage, F3D, F2H-2P, F2H-2N, F2H-2B and a I think a couple of SNJ-6's around just for currency reasons; into the game). As the Composites had some of the extra missions spun off they held on to a few and gained some others. So by the mid-60's they had Photo Recon and being "aggressors" to the fleet air defense problems (ie playing the Red Force attack aircraft so the AA Gunners and Missiles could get thier practice in), finally by the late 70's and 80's as Photo fell out for "National Technical Means" they became the "Aggressors" for the fleet air defense solo or were in specific locations to be the on call air units to be used as the base commander saw fit for operations of the base (like Subic's VC unit which helped to conduct aerial surveys of the damage after the Volcano in the early 90's). There still are VC units in the Navy; one that I know of is VC-6 who operate the drones out of NAS Norfolk for air defense training and small boat defense training. There are also three fighter composite squadrons VFC-12, VFC-13, VFC-111 who provide "Aggressor" training as part of the TOPGUN circulium or Strike Fighter Weapons school instruction for either of the schools on the Atlantic or Pacific Fleet.

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> What is a "Composite Squadron"? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI