Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A).

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). - 6/8/2012 9:51:48 PM   
DivePac88

First off I must thank JWE for all his work, in creating this amazing scenario.

This will be a simple AAR, which will be open to Q-Ball, for his spin on the Allied side (if he wants). I will be giving a quick action report with losses, and my comments on each turn. I would also value any input from anyone wants to comment on our game, so feel free to say you peace (good or bad).

The title of this AAR Buru Hairu, basically in English 'when things go wrong'. As any experienced player can tell you, in AE even the best laid plans can come quickly unstuck in a big way. WitP is a funny game, some turns can make you cry, while others can put you on top of the world (till the next turn). So I always run a turn with Confucius’s say in mind ‘ A good fortune may forebode a bad luck, which may in turn disguise a good fortune’.

My Opponent Q-Ball is the more experienced player, and I know from his history is very organized and aggressive. But I am confident that I will give him as good as I get, as I am experienced as I Japanese player. I am also aggressive, good with my logistics/economic planning, and will have a strong Japanese economy. So the stage is set for an interesting game, that I hope will be fun for both of us, and good luck to you Q-Ball.

Here are our simple set of house rules -

#No 4-engine bombing on naval attack below 10,000ft, other that for Naval bombers. 
#Fighters max altitude is the band with their second best manuever rating. 
#Restricted units must pay PPs to cross national boundaries. 
#Allied player on turn one can move only Chinese ground units and TFs already at sea. 
#Allied player on turn one cannot create any new TFs. 
#The Maximum of one port attack by Japan on turn one. 
#No strategic bombing within or from China unit 1943. 
#Night bombing only when the moonlight is above 50% before 1944. 
#Landing or paradropping on non base/dot hex is not allowed. 
#No use of many single ships to confuse naval combat routines, but picket ships are OK.

Tora! Tora! Tora!

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
Post #: 1
RE: BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). - 6/8/2012 10:06:56 PM   
DOCUP

Good luck DivePac.  Glad to see your feeling better and back in command of the Evil empire.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 2
RE: BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). - 6/8/2012 11:06:30 PM   
DivePac88

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

Good luck DivePac.  Glad to see your feeling better and back in command of the Evil empire.

Thanks DOCUP, but wild-horses couldn't keep me away from this beautiful game, and the Japanese empire.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 3
RE: BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). - 6/8/2012 11:12:46 PM   
obvert

This looks to be a great match-up. I'll be following closely. Good luck!!

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 4
RE: BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). - 6/8/2012 11:47:48 PM   
ny59giants

Des,

I got your economic 'guru' Mike S to take up playing the Allies in your place. We are playing RA, so he is going to be even more confused. I have a third game vs Olorin using DaBabes scenario 30 which is Scenario 2 converted over to DaBabes format. Right now, I would advise against a second day at Pearl. Between the AA changes and the amount of aircraft the Allies can put up, it's not worth it. No AAR for either as I don't have the time. Hope your health allows you to complete this game.

Michael

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 5
RE: BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). - 6/9/2012 12:06:21 AM   
Q-Ball

Take this with a grain of salt of course, but I concur on the 2nd day Pearl Strike. I am playing Panzerjager Hortlund as Japan, and I can testify that Day 2 was a disaster. Flak and CAP were terrible, and I lost over 60 Vals. Ouch!!!!

This seems like a major change in the period I dropped WITP-AE; a year ago, multiple stikes were a good idea, as CAP and FLAK weren't a big deal. Multiple strikes are now NOT good, unless you have really wiped out the airfield.

At least in my game with PzjH, I did have a good first day: 5 BBs sunk. I should have taken that and run (literally)

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 6
RE: BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). - 6/9/2012 12:24:45 AM   
ny59giants

Any scenario that uses DaBabes has had the AA changes incorporated. I would also advise NOT to set any of your precious Zeros on straffing missions. Zuikaku lost over half her compliment of Zeros from this. OUCH!!

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 7
RE: BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). - 6/13/2012 12:09:46 AM   
DivePac88

7 December 1941

Comments:

Well I've been a very bad boy, as I've sneaked-up on Pearl Harbor, and attacked his great base there. As for the results I've seen better, but Battleship row did get a good working over. But with no Battleship's sinking, and an ineffectual attack on the airfield, which appears not to have been attacked. I will have to decide weather to strike at Pearl Harbor again, with the risk of taking heavy airframe/aircrew losses doing so.

Meanwhile all the other airfield strikes across the map, went well with good loss ratios for me. I will just keep up the pressure against his airfields for the next turn, as I ultimately want air superiority over both Luzon and Malaya. The landings in both these areas will be by the book, and the landing convoys well protected. As I know Q-ball will be very aggressive here, and will try to disrupt my operations.

So I will now wait for Q-Ball to do his big turn, because I know he has been scheming, as he has had the combat replay for two days. So I know that I am probably facing the standard Allied attacks, and maybe a few more special ones he has come up with.

Reports:

Pacific.

Pearl Harbor air strike.

BB Arizona- (bomb-3, torp-5, on fire), BB California- (bomb-3, torp-4, on fire, heavy damage), BB Maryland- (bomb-4, torp-2), BB Nevada- (bomb-2, torp-3, on fire), BB Oklahoma- (bomb-3 torp-2, on fire, heavy damage), BB Pennsylvania- (bomb-4, torp-1, on fire), BB Tennessee- (bomb- 2, torp-4, heavy damage), BB West Virginia- (bomb-3, on fire, heavy damage), CA New Orleans- (torp-1, heavy damage), CA San Francisco- (bomb-2), CL Phoenix-(torp-1, on fire), CL St. Louis- (bomb-1), DD Cassin- (bomb-1), DD Cummings-(bomb-1, on fire), DD Tucker- (torp-1, on fire, heavy damage), DD Ward- (bomb-6, heavy fires, heavy damage), DM Tracy- (bomb-1, heavy fires), CM Oglala- (bomb-1).

Pearl Harbor midget-submarine attack.

SSX Ha-24- BB West Virginia- (torp-1).

Guam Landing.

Amphibious landing, and pre invasion bombardment- Allied- (casualties-45, non combat disabled-5).

Mindanao air strike.

Davao- Airfield- (runway-6, supply-1).

Luzon, air strikes.

Bataan- PBY-4 Catalina- (5-damaged, ground).
Clark Field- CAP (P-40B-1)- P-40B- (damage-1), Ground- (destroyed-3), B-17D- Ground- (destroyed-1), O-47- Ground- (destroyed-1).
Manila- P-40E- Ground- (damaged-38, destroyed-3), PBY-4- Ground- (damaged-27), SOC-1- Ground- (damaged-5), 18-S- Ground- (damaged-1).
Iba- CAP (P-26A-4)- P-40E- Ground- (destroyed-3). Airfield- (airbase-7, runway-57, supply-17).

Batan Island Landing.

Amphibious landing.

Day Time Surface Combat.

DD Ikazuchi, DD Inazuma- xAKL Dai Lee- (shell-14, is sunk).

Malayan air strikes.

Alor Star- Ground- (damaged-8, Guns destroyed-1) Airfield- (airbase-4, runway-2, supply-13)
Georgetown- CAP (Blenheim IF-2, Buffalo-5)- Air- Blenheim IF- (damaged-1) Buffalo I- (damaged-5). Ground- Buffalo I- (destroyed-1).
Kota Bharu- Ground- Buffalo I- (damaged-1)- Hudson I- (damaged-28, destroyed-1)- Vildebeest III- (damaged-6)- Allied- (casualties-10, non combat disabled-1)- Airfield- (airbase-43, runway-10, supply-58).
Kuantan- Ground- Blenheim I (damaged-8)- Beaufort V (PR)- (damaged-3)- Hudson I- (damaged-13)- Swordfish I (destroyed-1)- Airfield- (airbase-28, runway-4, supply-54).

Kota Bharu Landing.

Amphibious landing, and pre invasion bombardment- Allied- (casualties-137, squads destroyed-7, non combat disabled-6, guns lost-1, vehicles lost-1).

SS I-157- xAKL Dai Tung- (shell-9, heavy damage, heavy damage).

End.

< Message edited by DivePac88 -- 6/13/2012 2:04:05 AM >

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 8
RE: BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). - 6/13/2012 3:15:23 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Any scenario that uses DaBabes has had the AA changes incorporated. I would also advise NOT to set any of your precious Zeros on straffing missions. Zuikaku lost over half her compliment of Zeros from this. OUCH!!

But you still have Vals dropping bombs on cars, like in the movie, right?

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 9
RE: BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). - 6/13/2012 4:12:22 AM   
Cribtop

Good luck! BANZAI

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 10
RE: BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). - 6/13/2012 11:18:09 PM   
Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

7 December 1941

Comments:

Guam Landing.

Amphibious landing, and pre invasion bombardment- Allied- (casualties-45, non combat disabled-5).

How did you get the Guam invasion TF to Guam on the first turn? It's not one of the magic move TFs. Or did you use the magic move TF at Babeldoab instead? If so, which units are you using for the invasion?

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 11
RE: BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). - 6/14/2012 9:39:46 PM   
DivePac88

Hi Icedawg,

I used the Sasebo 1st SNLF unit, which is loaded at Takao for a landing on Batan Island, and is blessed with the 7th of December special move. I then only use the 24th JAAF AF battalion, which has 9 IJA heavy infantry squads attached, and can therefore easily take the undefended Island.

This is actually an old move from the original WitP game, and I have used it in a few starts. I also remember using it once, to make-up a force with the Legaspi bound SNLF to take Wake Island. So you see there is a few possibilities for deep invasions, with forces with the 'magic move' as you called it.

Cheers Des.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 12
RE: BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). - 6/15/2012 12:22:55 PM   
Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

Hi Icedawg,

I used the Sasebo 1st SNLF unit, which is loaded at Takao for a landing on Batan Island, and is blessed with the 7th of December special move. I then only use the 24th JAAF AF battalion, which has 9 IJA heavy infantry squads attached, and can therefore easily take the undefended Island.

This is actually an old move from the original WitP game, and I have used it in a few starts. I also remember using it once, to make-up a force with the Legaspi bound SNLF to take Wake Island. So you see there is a few possibilities for deep invasions, with forces with the 'magic move' as you called it.

Cheers Des.

Wow, I guess I've got to start thinking outside the box. I've gotten so entrenched in my first move methods that I didn't even stop to think about that one.

Actually, I probably would be a bit inclined to not try that. I once had a bad experience taking Guam. I used the 144th Rgt which is already 100% prepped for Guam. Even with its 100+ AV, it didn't take the island on its first attack! How does the Sasebo 1st SNLF usually fare in its attacks? Its much smaller AV and non-existent prep would make me a bit nervous.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 13
RE: BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). - 6/15/2012 3:08:21 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icedawg
Wow, I guess I've got to start thinking outside the box. I've gotten so entrenched in my first move methods that I didn't even stop to think about that one.

Actually, I probably would be a bit inclined to not try that. I once had a bad experience taking Guam. I used the 144th Rgt which is already 100% prepped for Guam. Even with its 100+ AV, it didn't take the island on its first attack! How does the Sasebo 1st SNLF usually fare in its attacks? Its much smaller AV and non-existent prep would make me a bit nervous.

Waiting for turn, so I'll comment.

First, I'm surprised you've had trouble with Guam. Not sure what version you are playing, but the ones I have played, there is only a token force on Guam, easily taken by all but the weakest units. Kind of surprised there.

But beyond that, Guam to me isn't that important to take super early. Yes, you do need to attend to it, but I prefer myself to get 144th Regt. rolling early toward truk, and use the magic move TFs for other purposes. But that's just me.

In my game vs. PanzerJHortlund, I dropped paras on Vigan, and also landed Sasebo 8th and the Batan Is. IJAAF unit. This gets you a working size-2 airbase on Luzon as soon as Dec 8th. I also think this move is kosher, unlike more "creative" stuff you can do.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 14
RE: BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). - 6/15/2012 3:31:32 PM   
ny59giants

Most games have three parts of a Naval Guard show up at saipan over the first month that can be used to take Guam.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 15
RE: BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). - 6/16/2012 10:16:55 PM   
DivePac88

Sorry Guys... but I'm going to put this AAR on hold for a few weeks.

Q-Ball's other Pbem campaign has slowed down for the present, so I've decided to concentrate on turn speed to take up the slack.

I'll catch up with the AAR when I can.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 16
RE: BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). - 6/16/2012 10:53:38 PM   
PaxMondo

Oh NO!!! 

BANZAI!!!!!!! 

Pax

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> BURU HAIRU, DaIronBabes-C. DivePac(J) vs Q-Ball(A). Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI