My only gripe with this game and one that really is based on player discretion is The supply network. Theres a few "iffy" strategies in WITE that frustrate me.
1. The long supply trace. This one is usually found on the northern and southern extremes of the front and involves doubling up the construction units to create a single supply route a thousand kilometers long through swamp in the north or desert in the south. The axis player happily rails in dozens of units which are maintained at full supply via this single route.
This particular exploit iss devasting to the soviet as a very wide sweep behind moscow to encircle the whole soviet army is the result.
2. the massed armies. basically the entire german army bunched into 3 groups screened by light forces, axis allies and security divisions. This one is great for encircling russians who simply cant mass enough force to meet the juggernaut and if they try find themselves pocketed repeatedly.
The game designers simply dont understand the limitations of supply especially in russia both historically and technically.
Lets go over a few of the basics here.
1. Supply movement needs to fit against rail capacity just like unit movement. the further it goes the more it costs.
2. Rail lines have a load capacity, single and double lines etc... each have different uses. 1 rail line cant support 50 divisions operating from a single railhead.
3. Supply is moved from depot to depot - the same train doesnt go from germany to stalingrad.
4. there are a limited number of locomotives each have different range and load capabilities and the attrition is high through use without proper maintenance.
5. Track can only handle so much traffic before it wears out, ground conditions, weight, weather etc... all have great effect.
6. Coal, water, Track, gravel, rail and even creosote dont grow on trees. they have to be brought in. depots and repair shops have to be built, manned and maintained, bridges as well.
7. Despite the overwhelming need for it theres no way for air to effectively interdict rail.
The rail system and the supply system absolutely need a rework to block these tactics before they pull the game down as more and more players use them.