Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Supply unlimits

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Supply unlimits Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supply unlimits - 6/8/2012 8:12:54 AM   
Hermann

My only gripe with this game and one that really is based on player discretion is The supply network. Theres a few "iffy" strategies in WITE that frustrate me.

1. The long supply trace. This one is usually found on the northern and southern extremes of the front and involves doubling up the construction units to create a single supply route a thousand kilometers long through swamp in the north or desert in the south. The axis player happily rails in dozens of units which are maintained at full supply via this single route.

This particular exploit iss devasting to the soviet as a very wide sweep behind moscow to encircle the whole soviet army is the result.

2. the massed armies. basically the entire german army bunched into 3 groups screened by light forces, axis allies and security divisions. This one is great for encircling russians who simply cant mass enough force to meet the juggernaut and if they try find themselves pocketed repeatedly.

The game designers simply dont understand the limitations of supply especially in russia both historically and technically.

Lets go over a few of the basics here.

1. Supply movement needs to fit against rail capacity just like unit movement. the further it goes the more it costs.
2. Rail lines have a load capacity, single and double lines etc... each have different uses. 1 rail line cant support 50 divisions operating from a single railhead.
3. Supply is moved from depot to depot - the same train doesnt go from germany to stalingrad.
4. there are a limited number of locomotives each have different range and load capabilities and the attrition is high through use without proper maintenance.
5. Track can only handle so much traffic before it wears out, ground conditions, weight, weather etc... all have great effect.
6. Coal, water, Track, gravel, rail and even creosote dont grow on trees. they have to be brought in. depots and repair shops have to be built, manned and maintained, bridges as well.
7. Despite the overwhelming need for it theres no way for air to effectively interdict rail.

The rail system and the supply system absolutely need a rework to block these tactics before they pull the game down as more and more players use them.
Post #: 1
RE: Supply unlimits - 6/8/2012 8:22:46 AM   
Hermann

1 method is to limit rail movement to a certain number of hexes the trains would need to behave like normal trains and refresh movement points in depots. 20 hexes to a depot and get 20 hexes worth of new movement on arrival. interdiction or sabotage cost movement - you may not reach the depot to get juiced up. The depot could be interdicted ( marshaling yards i know ) supply is unloaded at the depot and reloaded when it moves again. this limits the amount of supply that can leave a depot as the first train returns to origon and a new train needs to waiting to carry the load each army has a train assigned to it that runs back to the depot for goodies. Corps simply arent part of the supply chain thas army and division and again theres limits to how much supply these units can draw based on load capacity. each hex type needs a supply capicty based on infrastructure to determine how much supply can go through the hex. once the limits reached the hex is closed to supply. historically units oprated under "units of issue" or "units of fire " each of which was equal to a days consumption 1-2 wth the unit - 3-4 at the army depot and 6-10 at the home depot. couting each unit against railcap and moving it depot to depot as needed is a logical solution

< Message edited by Hermann -- 6/8/2012 8:44:40 AM >

(in reply to Hermann)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Supply unlimits Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI