Variants

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Andy Mac

Variants

Post by Andy Mac »

OK had a few minutes to think about how if I had a free choice in starting a game again how would I tailor a PBEM

I would want the old A3R variant system !!!

So I made one up.

The plan would be pick your scenario with your opponent
Agree number of variants to be picked
Pick which ones you want from liset below (or make up your own)

Either you or a neutral 3rd party apply them to the scenario - let the mayhem begin.

Any thoughts or any obvious option I have missed ??

(ps I am happy be be neutral 3rd party if required !!)

Allied

To be chosen max once
1. Any base that starts under control of EITHER side may have its potential port/AF raised by 1 point
2. Any invasion reinforcement LCU including convoy may be added to normal reinforcement path at discretion of allied player date set to 1st June 1942
3. A TF consisting in rand (1-3) RN/RAN/RNZN/FF Surface/ (max 1 x capital ship) selected from the Ironman list of units will be added to scenario to appear in Indian Ocean at one of three random locations sometime between (rand Jan – Dec 1943)
4. Any Carrier class may have its capacity increased by 10 (if more than 5 CV's in cass reduced pro rata e.g. 5 ship class = 10 per ship, 10 ship class = 5 per ship)
5. 5 points to purchase - Thailand starts neutral and rand 30% chance that each Thai LCU will not arrive if they do arrive they now arrive 1/1/42
6. rand 1 - 3 permanently restricte units are set to temp restricted and any disbandment dates are cancelled - e.g. NZ Tank Bde could be selected and set to non perma disband
7. Improved Dutch Army readiness - all Dutch militia are now trained and equipped as regualars and device pools are higher
8. Improved Dutch AF readiness - more modern aircraft in pool
9. HMS Indomitable does not run aground - force Z now has aircover
10. Successful allied deception plan any 3 LCU's chosen by player in DEI, Malaya or PI may relocate within those geographic boundaries (Secret from Japanese player)
11. Improved PI Army readiness - (MacArthur better prepared) - additonal 10,000 supply on Luzon and fuller PI Army pools
12. Allied TF's not where they were 1 allied CV TF formed at start may relocate up to 40 hexes in any direction
13. (2 points to select- )Med Opens 3 months early (impact is supply convoy appears at Aden earlier than anticipated)
14. Force Z slips away starts max 30 hexes from Singapore in any direction

To be chosen max twice

14. All CW nations pilot pools +5xp for all years (NZ/British/Indian/CW/Canadian and NZ)
15. USN/USMC pilot experience +5 xp
16. USAAF pilot experience +5xp
17. Any 3 ships (incl max 1 Capital Ship) may be accelerated up to one year
18. Any 3 sqns of any allied nation may be accelerated 6 months
19. A single 5 point factory/resource type of any kind including repair yard or aircraft factory may be added to any base or used to increase existing
20. Any device replacement rate may be increased by 10 per month – e.g. Indian 42 squads, 25 pounders, 105mm howitzers
21. Any base in Allied hands at start of game may have its fort leve increased by 2 points (apply max once per base)
22. PH improved protection - 1 x USAAF Fighter Sqn is set to CAP 40%
23. Add 40 engine equivalent airframes to any at start aircraft pool - restriction has to be a type in deployment at start e.g 40 Buffalo I's, 20 Lysanders's or 10 B17E's

Unlimited re picks
24. Any 3 ships due to withdraw may have withdrawal cancelled (no size limit)
25. Production date for 1 aircraft maybe accelerated up to 3 months end date remains unchanged each aircraft may only select this once – i.e. P47 can only be accelerated once
26. Any LCU may be accelerated up to 3 months (may be applied to same unit multiple times)
27. Monthly production may be increased by 10 per month total – i.e. 5 aircraft could be increased by 2 each or 1 by 10 (max 1 per individual device)
28. Additional 2,000 PP's at start
28. Any CW nationality aircraft may be set to nationality CW enabling it to be used by all CW nations e.g. Kittyhawk I would reult in NZ/RAAF and RCAF Kittyhawk I's al being set to CW allowing sharing

Japan

To be chosen max once
1. Any base that starts under control of EITHER side may have its potential port/AF raised by 1 point
2. Any base worth less than 5 Japanese VP’s currently in allied hands may be transferred to Japan before the start of the game
3. A TF consisting in rand (1-3) German Surface ships selected from the Ironman list of units will be added to scenario to appear in Indian Ocean at one of three random locations sometime between (rand June – Dec 1942)
4. Any 3 sqns either IJN or IJA may be accelerated 6 months
5. A TF consisting in rand (2-8) German U Boats selected from the Ironman list of units will be added to scenario to appear in Indian Ocean at one of three random locations sometime between (rand June – Dec 1942)
6. 4. Any Carrier class may have its capacity increased by 10 (if more than 5 CV's in cass reduced pro rata e.g. 5 ship class = 10 per ship, 10 ship class = 5 per ship)
7. Shinamo may have its capacty increased to match Shokaku/Zuikaku
8. 3 points to pick More co-operative Thai Army each Thai Div has increased TOE, has a rand 50% chance not to disband and is no longer pemantemly restricted - if bought out they may cross borders
9. IJA sponsors Burma uprising - all garrison levels in Burma increased by 5 points, 3 weak Japanese LCU's added at start inside Burma
10. Rand 1-5 German Armed Merchant Cruisers appear on allied supply lanes at random intervals
11. Imperial Guards Div crosses border secretly and starts on Malay/Thai border

To be chosen max twice
12. IJA pilot pools +5xp for all years
13. IJN pilot experience +5 xp
14. Any 3 ships (incl max 1 carrier and 1 battleship) may be accelerated up to one year
15. Any at start base owned by Japan may have its AF or Port current build increased by 1 point
16. Any one Japanese capital ship may change its class – e.g. any BB may be set to Yamato class or any CV to Taiho etc etc
17. A single 5 point factory/resource type of any kind including Oil may be added to any base
18. Japanese plan changed 3 un restricted LCU's may be relocated to any Japanese base owned at scenario start that is at least Port size 4 and may have target prep set to a new target at 100% (at discretion of Japanese player for both units and port) - Secret from allied player
19. Thai expeditionary force - 1 new unrestricted Thai LCU added specifically for use overseas

Unlimited re picks
20. Any 5 small craft < CA may be accelerated up to 1 year
21. Production date for 1 aircraft maybe accelerated up to 3 months
22. Any LCU may be accelerated up to 3 months
23. Monthly production may be increased by 10 per month total – i.e. 5 aircraft could be increased by 2 each or 1 by 10 (To be clear for Japan this will be REPLACEMENT aircraft not requiring an on map factory
24. Any LCU device may be accelerated 3 months (max once per individual device)
25. Add 20,000 HI to at stat Japanese pool
26. Any ship may have its conversion/upgrade increased by 2 steps
27. Any one ship may strat the map already convered - e.g Chiyoda
28. Additional 2,000 PP's at start
29. Add 40 engine equivalent airframes to any at start aircraft pool - restriction has to be a type in deployment at start e.g 40 Oscar 1a's, 20 Nells etc etc
Canoerebel

RE: Variants

Post by Canoerebel »

I loved A3R.  45% of my gaming life has been devoted to AE, 45% to A3R, and the other 10% in a futile effort to find something comparable to either. 

I've read through your variant suggestion once, but it seems to be above my paygrade.  Sounds like it requires use of the editor, which is a concept that blows my brain away.  (I'm one of the lingering Luddites who just wants to be handed the device and told to play.)
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Commander Stormwolf

Post by Commander Stormwolf »

The editor is the historian's best friend [:)]
"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf
Dan Nichols

Post by Dan Nichols »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I loved A3R.  45% of my gaming life has been devoted to AE, 45% to A3R, and the other 10% in a futile effort to find something comparable to either. 

I've read through your variant suggestion once, but it seems to be above my paygrade.  Sounds like it requires use of the editor, which is a concept that blows my brain away.  (I'm one of the lingering Luddites who just wants to be handed the device and told to play.)
But you could have Andy Mac do the changes, you just need to specify which ones.
I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person
Commander Stormwolf

I loved A3R. 45% of my gaming life has been devoted to AE, 45% to A3R, and the other 10% in a futile effort to find something comparable to either.

Try PTO IV

It's not much of a game, but the production system has good ideas
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

Exactly you decide how many points you want to paly with in a game say its 5 point each

You each either roll dice to determine which variants you get or you pick them

The one of you either of the players or a neutral 3rd party take the base scenario you want to play and apply the changes via the editor save the modified scen as new scen and start as normal

I am happy to do the alterations at least on a trial basis to see if the modifcatios work.

So find 2 PBEM players determine how many picks they each want and have someone modify the scenario

Had a few other varian thoughts that I have added to top as well !!!

Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

ps this was just my brain fart list others may their own ideas

The beauty is it can apply to any scenario just pick the base scenario you both want to play

Pick the number of variant points you want

Find someone to do the randoms and modify the scenario

Start as normal

Game on
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

This is fune letting my imagination run wild may actually get to 30 per side before I am done !!!
treespider

Post by treespider »

Would definitely add a certain amount of uncertainity if both players would be willing to allow a third party to "setup" the initial scenario settings and unit placements so that neither side could look at the others 'At-Start' or reinforcement schedule...

Imagine a situation in which:

-The US carriers:
-- could actually be in Pearl 'At Start'
-- or outside of Pearl in a position to react.
-- or in the historic starting positions

- Likewise Position of Force Z ...more vulnerable, less vulnerable

- Maybe couple the US carrier starting position with Force Z positioning (or not)

- Perhaps include British CV with Force Z ... at the office and the name escapes me of the one intended to be sent that did not make it. (EDIT- Oh I see you added Indomitable Option)

- A few units in the NEI were repositioned for better or for worse...maybe the Dutch send a unit or two to Malaya?

- The Japanese were on the ground in Malaya 'At-Start" instead of spending 2-3 days unloading.

- The SPS values of the ports and AF for some of the 'less important' dots and bases in the NEI and South Pacific were randomized 'At Start' (historically the Japanese ignored the potential for the airfields at Dobodura (sp?))

....to name a few ideas off the top of my head.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

Oooh I have most of those but Kota at start could be interesting

I do like the neutral doing it to both sides would add some uncertainty !!!

i.e. the referee amend the scenario and does not tell either party what the other side picked......
Commander Stormwolf

pearl variants would be nice

- the location of the carriers (in port, out of port, or in position to counter-strike)
- the status of the LBA (stood down and surprised, CAP alerted, or coming towards KB)
- weather at pearl (clear, partial, or totally obstructed)
- surface ships (in port, barely assembled, or waiting in ambush)
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

I have a few pearl vari\nts in there around sqn readiness and ability to move USN carriers

Weather I cannot control via editor

SCTF of BB's etc could work but is it a Japanese or Alied variant - I could argue either way....
Gridley380

Post by Gridley380 »

Having a 3rd party do some mods to introduce fog of war on turn one is simply brilliant.

An idea I'm not sure would work: both sides may "bid" (without knowing the other player's bid, of course) to change some of the historical settings. (Dec 7 surprise and working US torpedoes would both be good candidates, things like PDU would not be.)

So the Allied player bids, say, 3 points to have Dec 7 surprise turned off, while the Japanese player bids only 2 to keep it on. The 3rd party flips a switch, and suddenly there is no surprise...

Both players would have to agree not to look at the settings.
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

That was the plan no takers yet though !!
Dan Nichols

Post by Dan Nichols »

Andy Mac was kind enough to post this and put a good amount of effort into it. I never played A3R so I am a bit unclear on exactly which options can be chosen and how many would be right. I would like to toss my hat into the ring for a game using this. I am most comfortable playing the Allies but I could play the Japanese if necessary. I am mostly interested in the DBB 28B or 28C scenarios, but am open to any others. I do like the extended map and the optional stacking rules found on the DBB site. Is 5 - 8 points acceptable or too much, to little?
I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”