Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rome - Total War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Rome - Total War Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rome - Total War - 6/5/2012 9:35:07 PM   
Orm

Thanks to some forum member here I am once again playing Rome Total War.

Since I didn't have the energy to find out once again how what to change to be able to play all the nations I decided to play the Julii.

Seems there are several other playing this game at the moment. What nation do you play? What is your favorite nation?

Belli dura despicio
Post #: 1
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/5/2012 9:40:52 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Since I didn't have the energy to find out once again how what to change to be able to play all the nations I decided to play the Julii.

Seems there are several other playing this game at the moment. What nation do you play? What is your favorite nation?
Warspite1

I am totally £$%^ at the game but absolutely love it

I only really play the Julii - the Red Colour is perfect for the Romans - Blue and Green just seem WRONG!

I struggle when fighting the Britons because of their Chariots - and the Macedons and their phalanx's

I wish they would bring out a Total War II with new naval capability. Its easily the best of the bunch - the newer games seem really "dark" and the figures less distinct....

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/5/2012 9:50:28 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

I only really play the Julii - the Red Colour is perfect for the Romans - Blue and Green just seem WRONG!

I struggle when fighting the Britons because of their Chariots - and the Macedons and their phalanx's

I wish they would bring out a Total War II with new naval capability. Its easily the best of the bunch - the newer games seem really "dark" and the figures less distinct....

The Phalanx I find the easiest to fight. But that might be because I usually have a lot of cavalry so I flank their slow phalanx's and that usually does it. One Roman infantry from the front and a cavalry from the flank or rear. Another way you can do it is to concentrate fire power on them. And with fire power I mean slingers or archers.

Belli dura despicio

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/5/2012 9:54:47 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

The Phalanx I find the easiest to fight. But that might be because I usually have a lot of cavalry so I flank their slow phalanx's and that usually does it. One Roman infantry from the front and a cavalry from the flank or rear. Another way you can do it is to concentrate fire power on them. And with fire power I mean slingers or archers.
Warspite1

Yes, sorry I should have elaborated - even a klutz like me finds it difficult to lose battles where I have a numerical advantage . But those battles where I am at a disadvantage in nos, or perhaps terrain (where I am attackng) I find it can be really difficult to gain the tactical advantage through manoeuvre - and still maintain a check on all my troops.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/5/2012 10:00:54 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Yes, sorry I should have elaborated - even a klutz like me finds it difficult to lose battles where I have a numerical advantage . But those battles where I am at a disadvantage in nos, or perhaps terrain (where I am attackng) I find it can be really difficult to gain the tactical advantage through manoeuvre - and still maintain a check on all my troops.

I actually ment when you are outnumbered. The phalanx is so slow moving so if you stay mobile and try to concentrate forces so you can beat one phalanx at a time fast you might be able to win even when out numbered.

One good cavalry that stay mobile can help beat up plenty of phalanx's. After first charge it should not stay fighting if the enemy phalanx do not break. It should retreat and charge again.

Anyway. I am sure you do well enough.

Edit: If you are heavy on missile troops when you are out numbered it is very important to concetrate fire on one opposing unit at a time.

Edit 2: I agree on that it can be hard to maintain check on all my troops. I usually stay on top of my cavalry and forget about the light troops then. At times I use pause.

< Message edited by Orm -- 6/5/2012 10:04:04 PM >

Belli dura despicio

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/5/2012 10:18:40 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

I actually ment when you are outnumbered. The phalanx is so slow moving so if you stay mobile and try to concentrate forces so you can beat one phalanx at a time fast you might be able to win even when out numbered.

One good cavalry that stay mobile can help beat up plenty of phalanx's. After first charge it should not stay fighting if the enemy phalanx do not break. It should retreat and charge again.

Edit: If you are heavy on missile troops when you are out numbered it is very important to concetrate fire on one opposing unit at a time.

Edit 2: I agree on that it can be hard to maintain check on all my troops. I usually stay on top of my cavalry and forget about the light troops then. At times I use pause.
soojan

I play Total Rome War every day with Mr Wilkes when he finish at the local pet store. Best WWII game ever. I buy with great price from wowlocalwargamestore.

I like this lady she is my friend. I think she make good phalanx.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 6
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/5/2012 11:49:21 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Enjoyed the game very much, but haven't played for a few years. I mostly played the Romans myself. I confess that I would routinely let squabbling mobs capture some of the Egyptian cities so that I could recapture them and crucify all of the rebels. My foreign policy was mostly 'all crucifications, all the time'.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 7
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/6/2012 12:32:03 AM   
Jim D Burns

Haven’t played the game in quite some time, but when I did play the game, I played the Europa Barbarorum mod exclusively. It was a far better game in my opinion than the one released out of the box.

Best way to describe the mod is it’s a very in-depth historical re-work that completely changes the game play. If I remember correctly, the senate is gone and the map is probably twice the size of the original with lots of new nations and units added.

Here’s the site dedicated to the mod, if you like the game you’ll love this mod:

http://www.europabarbarorum.com/

Jim

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/6/2012 1:44:40 AM   
H Gilmer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

soojan

I play Total Rome War every day with Mr Wilkes when he finish at the local pet store. Best WWII game ever. I buy with great price from wowlocalwargamestore.

I like this lady she is my friend. I think she make good phalanx.

She doesn't look like that anymore, though.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 9
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/6/2012 7:56:46 AM   
Speedy

Yes. Great game. The Europa Barbarorum Mod is fantastic IMO (As Jim says above). It dramatically alters the game for a much more realistic experience.

They're currently in the prices of making Europa Barbarorum 2 for release on Medieval TW 2 (Rome on a much better engine!)

WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to H Gilmer)
Post #: 10
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/6/2012 8:45:17 AM   
jamesm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Yes. Great game. The Europa Barbarorum Mod is fantastic IMO (As Jim says above). It dramatically alters the game for a much more realistic experience.

They're currently in the prices of making Europa Barbarorum 2 for release on Medieval TW 2 (Rome on a much better engine!)

I agree that the Europa Barbarorum mod is great, but it has significant stability issues i.e constant ctd's.

Also any idea when Europa Barbarorum 2 is coming out?

(in reply to Speedy)
Post #: 11
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/6/2012 9:29:21 AM   
ilovestrategy

I just got done playing. I am the Julii and am struggling against the Brits, who have just about all of Gaul under their thumb.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to jamesm)
Post #: 12
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/6/2012 10:26:40 AM   
Speedy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesm

quote:

I agree that the Europa Barbarorum mod is great, but it has significant stability issues i.e constant ctd's.

Also any idea when Europa Barbarorum 2 is coming out?

I know some people have frequent CTD I haven't experienced this much though to be honest. Once or twice from memory.

No ideas on EB2. I would guess sometime over the next year or so but who knows.

WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to jamesm)
Post #: 13
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/6/2012 11:43:32 AM   
Empire101

quote:

Fantastic....I can't wait!!!

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Speedy)
Post #: 14
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/6/2012 4:55:15 PM   
A7V_U

I am also a great fan of RTW and have several installations on my HD. If you are interested in mods, you should visit the following page:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=023743f54e4368d57e31ab4873e296a2&f=214

I promise you that you´ll never touch the vanilla game after you have tried some of the great mods on this page. My favorites are the Europa Barbarorum, as mentioned before, Roma surrectum and Rome total realism.
The CTDs of EB don´t happen very often to me. You should patch to 1.2 and also apply some small upgrades mentioned in the forum. They really have reduced the number of crashes. It also helps if you wait several seconds after a battle before you close the window (best until the music ends...).

In Roma Surrectum with version 2.5 now you get the 28 named Roman Legions like Caesars famous 10th legion. They are all different and give you some chances to do some roleplaying.

Rome Total Realism is now in the version VII and tries to enhance the level of, well, realism compared to the original game.

There are many more and I probably have missed one or the other gem among them. It takes years to play them all...

Concerning EB 2 I don´t think that they will be ready this year. These guys are perfectionists and I fear that , if they finally are ready, RTW is unplayable with Windows 11

Last remark: I play the mods with the Barbarian Invasion exe which seems to be more stable than the original and the AI is said to be better. You also can use the Alexander.exe, if you bought the addon

Best regards

Rainer

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 15
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/6/2012 7:28:04 PM   
Alan Sharif

I love the Total War games, and have them all, plus expansions, except the recent Shogun expansion. However, I have not yet played Empire, Napoleon or Shogun 2. I know, I know, lack of time. However, I am retiring at the end of June so BRING IT ON. However, the reason for my postis just to say that the games out the box are not great. Mods is way to go for people like us who are seriously
interested in History.

A Sharif

(in reply to A7V_U)
Post #: 16
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/7/2012 12:34:49 AM   
redcoat

quote:

ORIGINAL: A7V_U

I am also a great fan of RTW and have several installations on my HD. If you are interested in mods, you should visit the following page:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=023743f54e4368d57e31ab4873e296a2&f=214

I promise you that you´ll never touch the vanilla game after you have tried some of the great mods on this page. My favorites are the Europa Barbarorum, as mentioned before, Roma surrectum and Rome total realism.

I've tried Rome Total Realism and Arthurian Total War and they are both great mods.

(in reply to A7V_U)
Post #: 17
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/8/2012 9:08:15 AM   
ilovestrategy

Tonight I had three towns under siege at the same time, 2 by the Brits and one by the Germans. I had to use my imagination to bounce my forces back and forth to relieve all three towns.

After all these years I never get tired of hearing "The Day is Ours!".

Rome Total War=Warmomgers dream come true.

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 18
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/8/2012 10:27:08 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Tonight I had three towns under siege at the same time, 2 by the Brits and one by the Germans. I had to use my imagination to bounce my forces back and forth to relieve all three towns.

After all these years I never get tired of hearing "The Day is Ours!".

Rome Total War=Warmomgers dream come true.
Warspite1

Well I get totally tired of hearing "Your General is running away!" or the even more annoying "Your General has thrown away his life....much better to have lived" Really? You think?

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 19
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/9/2012 9:59:28 AM   
Orm

I've captured all of Italy and now it just feels like a chore to complete the campaign. It would probably go faster if I didn't feel the need to defend every city I own.

Belli dura despicio

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 20
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/9/2012 10:04:21 AM   
warspite1

I took Spain this morning - but like you I like having a healthy garrison in every city. Too expensive though, I now have no dosh and the peasants are revolting. Oh and the stupid Senate keeps giving me stupid tasks; Go blockade somewhere that you are nowhere near....oh okay then

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 21
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/9/2012 10:26:42 AM   
ilovestrategy

Oh the tasks get annoying! Blockade this port. Blockade that port.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 22
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/9/2012 10:53:37 AM   
shunwick

Is this RTS?

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

Post #: 23
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/9/2012 12:06:58 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Is this RTS?

Cut from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome:_Total_War
"On the large strategic scale, players spend each turn managing diplomacy, developing infrastructure, moving armies, and managing the population's growth and orderliness through taxes and gladiatorial games, among other tasks. On the smaller scale, real-time battles against enemy armies take place within or between cities, with the player commanding forces which can contain thousands of individual soldiers."

Belli dura despicio

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 24
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/9/2012 12:16:03 PM   
shunwick

Orm,

Thanks for that. It looks graphically challenging for my computer though. What is the DRM like?

At £9.99 that's not a bad price.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/9/2012 12:21:59 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 25
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/9/2012 12:55:46 PM   
redcoat

I don't think Rome Total War is too graphically challenging. I have a really old computer and I don't have any problems with it. My PC can't handle Medieval Total War though. Amazon are currently selling Rome for £6.19. Link.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 26
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/10/2012 12:08:18 AM   
Joe D.

quote:

Since I didn't have the energy to find out once again how what to change to be able to play all the nations ...

It's been a very long time, but doesn't winning the Imperial Campaign unlock other nations?

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 27
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/10/2012 2:07:42 AM   
ilovestrategy

Joe, I'm not sure. I havent beaten the Imperial Campaign yet.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 28
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/10/2012 12:24:02 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Joe, I'm not sure. I havent beaten the Imperial Campaign yet.

Winning the Imperial Campaign takes you to a scene of your faction having a small triumph, officially ending the game, but allowing you to continue conquering the world if you desire.

If memory still serves me, when you take the Senate by force, the other two Roman factions declare war on you, but if you capture both of their capitals, you win the Campaign, and that should unlock the other playable states.

< Message edited by Joe D. -- 6/10/2012 12:29:01 PM >

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

Post #: 29
RE: Rome - Total War - 6/10/2012 5:58:53 PM   
Jevhaddah

Here yoo go

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/22612-How-to-unlock-all-factions?highlight=Unlocking+factions+Rome

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Rome - Total War Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI