Matrix Games Forums

Community impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/13/2012 12:11:48 PM   
glvaca

KURSK TO STALINO

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 10/13/2012 12:12:04 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 211
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/13/2012 12:12:47 PM   
glvaca

STALINO TO BLACK SEA

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 212
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/13/2012 12:36:45 PM   
glvaca

TURN 35

NORTH
Fast forward to turn 35.

The intervening period has been one of desperate Russian attacks all over the line. Eventhough individual hexes may be lost and the line pushed back a couple of hexes in places, overall the the line holds. Much of its success is no doubt due to having powerful reserves spread out just behind the lines in order to counter attack and restore the line if needed. Gradually, refitted Panzer & Infantry divisions are railed back in to reinforce the reserves or replace worn out divisions in need of a rest in Germany.

Up North, the Fins having created as much noise as possible during turns 26 to 35 are now settling down into their stop lines. They are very weak from losses and morale loss but I don't plan to replace them during the coming summer. I have other plans...

South of Moscow the Stavka committed most of it's reserves in an effort to outflank Moscow to the SW. Many places have seen attacks and counter attacks for many weeks but more on that in the next ss.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 10/13/2012 12:37:01 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 213
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/13/2012 1:01:41 PM   
glvaca

THE KURSK - OREL BULGE

Gradually over the course of the winter a very large bulge developped in the Center with Kursk/Orel as its base stretching more then 100km to the West.At it's very peak it came to 20miles of the vital RR feeding supply to Bryansk. Only the timely arrival of 4th Pz Armies XII Corps could prevent and push back the break through.
Soviet RR lines have progressed several hexes West of Kursk and Orel.

While the German retreat started out of necessity and weakness, over the course of the winter newly arriving divisions have been railed in to occupy the strong defensive position going SW from Kaluga till South of Bryansk. The timing was very difficult and a long rear guard delaying action was performed between Orel and Bryansk to gain time for reinforcements to arrive. Now early February, the German divsions have regained some of their offensive strength and counter attacks are launched all over the line. Russian units are generally weak, in between 1 and 3CV.

To the South the defense based on Kharkov - Belgorod - Sumy has held firm, eventhough just barely and is now starting to counter attack to the North to prevent the Russian forces from digging in.

For a while now I had my eye on this developping bulge & for a while I have been railing in fully rested infantry and panzer divisions to safe points behind the line. Getting ready for the March counter trust: Operation Citadelle '42.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 10/13/2012 1:02:16 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 214
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/13/2012 1:07:48 PM   
glvaca

SOUTH
The South basically held firm over the winter although hard pressed in places and particularly between Stalino and the black Sea.
Counter attacks are launched all across the line.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 215
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/14/2012 8:31:24 PM   
glvaca

TURN 38
D-Day.
Over the past few weeks my main worry has been that the Stavka would get wind of my plans and retreat out of the bulge. But I probably should not have worried so much and true to his nature, the Stavka stays put, except on the extreem West end of the Bulge where approx. 10 hexes are given up.

In an effort to weaken the defences preparationary attacks have been carried out all accross the front. In the North, emphasys has been laid SW and NE of the intended breakthrough area.
In the Kharkov area, special focus is laid North & SE of Belgord.

After much thought, the plans are fixed and the red arrows indicate the planned lines of advance. Both trusts will follow the available RR as closely as possible and FDB's are standing by (South) or on route to the breakthrough area's.

I expect a hard fight to get through and a considerable striking force is assembled for both pincers.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 10/15/2012 12:47:57 AM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 216
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/14/2012 8:38:05 PM   
glvaca

NORTH PINCER
The North pincer contains the most troops, especially on Infantry including 8x 86+ morale divs. These guys have been resting in the rear and have been moved into assault positions on turn 37 (no morale loss on T38).
Backing up the infantry are 16 Pz & Mot. divisions of 2nd Pz Army & 4th Pz Army. Most have been refitting for weeks but have been called upon to counter attack penetrations or help the infantry in regaining morale. Still, 80% of these divisions are at full (or close to) strength.

This the area I expect the breakthrough to be toughest.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 217
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/14/2012 8:43:42 PM   
glvaca

SOUTH PINCER
The South pincer consists of 12 Pz & Mot. Divisions and has only about half of the infantry strength of the Northern pincer.
Still, again most Pz & Mot. divs. are rested and full strength & 4x 86+ morale inf. divs are available, + 4 newly arrived & full strength inf. divs.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 218
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/14/2012 8:49:20 PM   
glvaca

PHASE 1 - THE POCKET IS ESTABLISHED
The operation goes like clockwork and both pincers slice through his lines like a knife through butter. The Soviet Army is really weak. Mostly un-dugin infantry & cav is brushed aside by 3div. hasty attacks.
Both pincers meet around Livny with only one obvious weak spot. I will just need to get lucky that he does not have units ready to take advantage of this and re-opne the pocket. Still, I'm feeling fairly confident that not much will get out of the pocket, even if he manages to reopen it.

Before the operation I was hoping to catch around 300k of troops but with more recon available I'm starting to suspect it will be more. The Wehrmacht's back with a vengeance!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 10/16/2012 12:51:53 AM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 219
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/14/2012 8:52:03 PM   
glvaca

For reference, losses start of T38

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 220
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/15/2012 9:07:46 AM   
juret

nice pocket. Looking forward to next update :)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 221
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/15/2012 11:31:11 AM   
Pelton

Good to see your back!!

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DiSQ36zfWk

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 222
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/15/2012 1:15:14 PM   
janh

Great work. So that's what the Kursk pocket could have looked like... just a year earlier. When I first saw the planning screens with the thick mass of divisions holding between Tula-Orel my first thought was that you'd get stuck halfway thru, but it seems your Wehrmacht still packs and enormous punch, whereas SHC is soft like butter, just as you said.

What part of your Panzer- and Infantrie-Divisionen (Mot.) have you employed here? Do you have significant reserves elsewhere, or were all involved?

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 223
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/15/2012 1:26:12 PM   
TulliusDetritus

WOW! Fabulous pocket

Tarhunnas is in trouble. My 1942 summer campaign started basically this way: a big pocket => destroyed units => thinner frontline => panzers Death Star every single turn until mud => run run run

I suspect that's what Tarhunnas will be forced to do.

"Hang on, is that it...? Are we on the ring...?? Ready???" -- Nürburgring Seven Second Ring King

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 224
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/15/2012 8:59:59 PM   
glvaca

quote:

ORIGINAL: janh

Great work. So that's what the Kursk pocket could have looked like... just a year earlier. When I first saw the planning screens with the thick mass of divisions holding between Tula-Orel my first thought was that you'd get stuck halfway thru, but it seems your Wehrmacht still packs and enormous punch, whereas SHC is soft like butter, just as you said.

What part of your Panzer- and Infantrie-Divisionen (Mot.) have you employed here? Do you have significant reserves elsewhere, or were all involved?

I had the same doubts when planning the operation, especially after experiencing the first blizzard combats effects for so long, but it was really easy to break his line and exploit to form the pocket. Overall I think the contant counter attacks during late January and through February did contribute to his weakness. Many divisions were routed time and again & fort contruction was seriously obstructed resulting in a lot of depth but with little forts to increase the defense.

All Pz & Mot divs were committed in the offensive with the exception of 2 Pz Divs, 3 Mot Divs & 2 Mot SS Divs (Tot & LAH) which were employed in local counter attacks to capture either better defensive terrain, RR's or river bridgeheads all along the front.

Here's the condition of the panzers start of turn 41, this is after a winter and 3 turns of action during snow. They're in great shape morale wise but now need a couple of turns to refit.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 10/15/2012 9:37:25 PM >

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 225
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/15/2012 9:05:44 PM   
glvaca

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

WOW! Fabulous pocket

Tarhunnas is in trouble. My 1942 summer campaign started basically this way: a big pocket => destroyed units => thinner frontline => panzers Death Star every single turn until mud => run run run

I suspect that's what Tarhunnas will be forced to do.

There's an added complication for Tarhunnas. This is March, the summer campaign hasn't started
Secondly, he's gonna have more than 10 turns to gather strength which will probably give him around 1 million new recruits.
Thirdly, we are playing the 260VP variant and I only have 15VP left to go...
The OKH is still planning the next months and the summer campaign but suffice to say, I'll go all out to end the campaign in 1942.

Victory points:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 10/15/2012 9:09:39 PM >

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 226
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/15/2012 9:21:32 PM   
glvaca

Losses at the end of blizzard.
As can be seen from the ss, from the start of T38 till the end of the German T41 the Soviets have suffered major losses during Snow.

Looking at the 362948 Russian soldiers captured during this period I estimate the pocket to have been close to 400K. I'll post a list of units distroyed when I get the turn back.

German losses for this period has been considerable but not prohibitive.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 10/15/2012 9:23:08 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 227
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/15/2012 9:24:34 PM   
glvaca

OOB end of T41:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 228
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/15/2012 9:30:39 PM   
glvaca

Production.
I'm keeping a close eye on my Armaments pool. The ss is filtered on only German info.
The last few turns I'm slowly bringing TOE's up to 100% for selected SU's. Most of the infantry is now between 70 and 75 morale & close to 80+% TOE.
I don't think I can wish for a better starting position for summer '42. The main question will be: how fast can the Stavka make good it's losses and how much of defense can they put up? I have no doubt the Stavka is aware of the mortal danger it is in & will do everything it can to prevent an auto victory during the coming summer.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 10/15/2012 9:33:28 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 229
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/15/2012 9:40:47 PM   
glvaca

TURN 39
The pocket holds!
This is the only ss I have for this turn. Basically, with the pocket established and holding, I set out to redeuce the pocket from all directions.
At the same time, I keep pushing towards Tula and in the the direction of Voronezh. Which is phase 2 of the operation.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 230
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/15/2012 9:48:56 PM   
glvaca

TURN 40

PHASE 2 - ESTABLISH FAVORABLE BRIDGEHEADS FOR FUTHER OFFENSIVES
With the pocket firmly established and already seriously reduced, phase 2 of the operation is executed. It's aim is to capture key terrain that will facilitate further offensives in the area. 2nd & 4th Pz Armies aim for Tula and the land bridge to the East of it.
1st Pz Army heads full steam for Voronezh with orders to capture it, cross the upper Don in strength & establish a strong bridgehead.
Special care is taken to capture key RR's along the way.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 10/15/2012 9:49:48 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 231
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/15/2012 11:07:57 PM   
M60A3TTS

I suspect that wound will be mortal. He's under 4 milion and suffered a major counter loss that will be a huge AP cost to replace. You're in a good position to keep his middle weak and continue to gobble him up.

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 232
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/16/2012 1:08:39 AM   
glvaca

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

I suspect that wound will be mortal. He's under 4 milion and suffered a major counter loss that will be a huge AP cost to replace. You're in a good position to keep his middle weak and continue to gobble him up.

It might be, but I'm not going to take that for granted. Tarhannus is surely facing a challenge but he has been playing very well. After the pocket was sealed I asked him why he did not retreat and he answered he underestimated the German mobility during snow. I'm amazed myself how easy it is to advance without having to worry about rivers, so the decision to stay is one I may have made myself if the roles were reversed.

Thinking on this, his situation is no worse than others in other AAR's. He can still recover and reclaim a lot territory. Although making it to Berlin is another question. The biggest, new, element in the mix is the 245VP score. Denying me the remaining VP's is no doubt central in his plans for the summer, while capturing them is my strategic goal. This will be interesting!

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 233
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/16/2012 3:46:15 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: glvaca
After the pocket was sealed I asked him why he did not retreat and he answered he underestimated the German mobility during snow. I'm amazed myself how easy it is to advance without having to worry about rivers, so the decision to stay is one I may have made myself if the roles were reversed.

Well, you have certainly played an excellent game, but I think that your pocket shows that the "March Madness" issue has not gone away. Granted, you had a pretty easy Blizzard, but still...

As you mention, crossing rivers in particular should be more difficult, as the broken ice and floes often made them impossible to cross at this time of year except at bridges.

In any event, I don't see this game going more than 5-6 turns of clear weather before you hit the VPs you need, so good game.

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 234
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/16/2012 10:17:36 AM   
janh

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm
Well, you have certainly played an excellent game, but I think that your pocket shows that the "March Madness" issue has not gone away. Granted, you had a pretty easy Blizzard, but still...

I don't think in this case one could speak of "March Madness". This is different now, and I find it justified in this case. The power of the Wehrmacht offensive is more of strategic scale here, and it still packs a huge punch whereas the SHC units seem to be even weaker than usual.
Open the 1942 GC scenario and check the forces on both sides, particularly the Wehrmacht strengths. That is the reference scenario in which a strong March offensive is not credible, but here it is just like the start of the 41 campaign over again.

All that doesn't come as a surprise. On page 5 you can read plenty of comments that already suggested after turn 16 that this game was pretty much done for Tarhunnas. Obviously even the recovery some people have pointed to has not really fruited yet. Even if Tarhunnas prevents the 260VP, his recovery will be so slow that Berlin is out of question unless Axis will play foolish and reckless from now on.

After turn 16, and the huge Moscow pocket with some 500k SHC in there if I recall correctly, Tarhunnas was down to 3M men before winter. That is well below the 4.5-5M mark that usually gives an "average/mediocre" blizzard performance. Even the blizzard penalties were of little use given the whipping that SHC had suffered in the summer campaign. I think this is one of the cases were the swings in initiatives and strengths are more pronounced, and this game was far off the tiny middle path already after turn 6ish. And by turn 17 it was simply an Axis major victory.

The game engine is just not dynamic enough at this point to account for GC courses that are either poorer or better than average, adjusting economy, production, reinforcement schedules or lend-and-lease down or up to the real course. I imagine in this course of events the Reds would have gotten more help from the West, and would also have taken more severe (drafting) measures to gain replacements. But all these parameters are set as if the course was just historical, and Tarhunnas faced tough challenge to recover after turn 16. I think he could well have folded then.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 235
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/16/2012 10:29:08 AM   
Pelton

Most times SHC is at 6+ million and not 4 million by this time.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 236
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/16/2012 10:54:08 AM   
Flaviusx

This game was over a long time ago.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 237
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/16/2012 6:26:09 PM   
glvaca

15 VP's may not sound like much, but getting enough involves vast distances or covering highly defensible terrain.
The Stavka has 10 turns to get his army back into shape. The most important variable at this time is: how much defensive (and offensive) strength can he gain during this period. My March offensive caught him at the most favorable moment (which explains musch of its success).
1. His units were worn out at the end of the blizzard offensive.
2. He was not dugin.
3. His supply/transportation lines were no doubt less then optimal.
4. The strategic situation was unfavorable with the above conditions.

Players like Tarhunnas (for whom I have the highest regard as a player and person) thirve when the going gets tough. I have no doubt that we will see his best game yet. This ain't over, until the fat lady signs! (anybody knows where that came from?)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 10/17/2012 7:58:38 AM >

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 238
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/16/2012 6:36:27 PM   
glvaca

Personally I still think that the following system for handling manpower would be better:
1. split the SU into the districts.
2. determine the total replacement capacity per district. Keeping in mind that the Russians first called up men in the immediate combat zone.
3. the Soviet army remained fairly constant during the first years, determine that level.
4. determine total replacement capacity over the course of the war per district.
5. gear replacements per turn towards achieving and maintaining the level set in point 3.

When the Soviet runs out (or whenever level reached of the total pool preferred), tune down replacements.

So, an example.
Say that the total replacement pool for the Soviet union would be 30 million men (just a figure).
When the war start, everything received as replacements is deducted from the 30m number. Districts (cities) in the combat zone are sucked dry first. This would give incentive to fight forward as the Soviet). When a district is lost, the unused potential is subtractred from the 30m.
Keep feeding replacements into the Army at a much increased number if lower than the level determined as being the average level of the SU army (above in point 3).
Reduce replacements if close or above of that level.
If the 30m are spent, replacements dry out, whether it is 42-43 or 45.

This, no doubt, can be improved upon. But the basic principle is clear and its effects would certainly reduce the manpower issues the SU faces currently.

< Message edited by glvaca -- 10/16/2012 7:59:06 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 239
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 10/17/2012 12:19:08 AM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: glvaca

15 VP's may not sound like much, but getting enough involves vast distances or covering highly defensible terrain.
The Stavka has 10 turns to get his army back into shape. The most important variable at this time is: how much defensive (and offensive) strength can he gain during this period. My March offensive caught him at the most favorable moment (which explains musch of its success).
1. His units were worn out at the end of the blizzard offensive.
2. He was not duging.
3. His supply/transportation lines were no doubt less then optimal.
4. The strategic situation was unfavorable with the above conditions.

Players like Tarhunnas (for whom I have the highest regard as a player and person) thirve when the going gets tough. I have no doubt that we will see his best game yet. This ain't over, until the fat lady signs! (anybody knows where that came from?)

You can easly drive to Moscow and get that, but have some fun first pocketing units at will. He has zero chance.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI