Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 8:36:24 PM   
glvaca

SOUTH
Sensing what was coming, Tarhunnas withdraws his MLR to just a couple of hexes SW of Kharkov. With the infantry chasing away his screening units, the Panzers exploit and attack the MLR and Kharkov itself, which falls to a deliberate attack the defending mountain division being of poor morale.

I decline further exploitation at this point, better to let the infantry catch up and clear the way next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 91
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 8:37:06 PM   
glvaca

SOUTH ZOOM
And close up South.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 92
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 8:38:15 PM   
glvaca

OOB

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 6/20/2012 8:39:17 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 93
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 8:40:25 PM   
glvaca

Losses

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 94
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 8:40:51 PM   
glvaca

Units lost.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 95
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 9:28:12 PM   
glvaca

TURN 14
Start after recon.

CENTER

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 96
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 12:17:50 PM   
Pelton

Wow he is hurting with only 3.1 million men.

Moscow is clearly withen reach with weak defences as he basicly has very little left and probably with low moral.

Nice job.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DiSQ36zfWk

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 97
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 1:30:55 PM   
glvaca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

Wow he is hurting with only 3.1 million men.

Moscow is clearly withen reach with weak defences as he basicly has very little left and probably with low moral.

Nice job.

Agreed, most on-map units (except in front of Moscow) have been reduced to shells after repeated combats, retreats, routes. But even so, they appear in the frontline again and again, forcing combats, delays, fatigue, etc...

I'm not really complaining and surely not whining , but the relative ease routed units are rallied, and have movement to push back ZOC's is something that I find questionable. There's nothing worse than having a cluster of routed units next to the fartest flipped hex, they'll just rally and take the whole lot back!

Perhaps a rule that prevents units from Rallying when closer than 10 hexes to an enemy unit would be appropriate?
Or perhaps s strong movement reduction (quartered?) after being rallied?

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 98
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 1:44:42 PM   
glvaca

CENTER RIGHT FLANK
A classic example of Tarhannus style of play.
The black arrow, a cav div. pushes straight through ZOC and just falls short of some bomber airbases. in addition, if I just cut it off and leave it there it would:
1. take a lot of units make sure he can't move.
2. failing that, it might interfere with RR conversion next turn. And that risk can't be accepted.
The result is that 2 divisions spend their movement on repeated combats to dislodge and then route the Cav back to his lines. 2 divisions not available for flank protection further East.

The black circle a cav division that was most likely routed last turn combines with other units to isolate the misplaced Mot. Div. Generally, from what seems out of thin air, a multitude of units appear and start pressing on the flanks and at the point of penetration. Everything in reach is zoc-ed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 99
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 1:48:19 PM   
glvaca

SOUTH
A dense checkerboard defense covers the direct route to Stalino but most of these units must be weak.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 6/21/2012 7:10:33 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 100
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 2:01:57 PM   
glvaca

deleted

< Message edited by glvaca -- 6/21/2012 3:30:48 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 101
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 2:10:32 PM   
glvaca

CENTER
After moves.
PzG4's XXXXI PzC leads the attack and pushes clean through the weak defenders which are routed to a unit and displaced multiple times while the penetration is exploited. The red circle is where they end up.
PzG3 carries the penetration far and wide behind the Moscow flank and the trap is spun, although it is unlikely it will hold.
PzG2 manages to beat back the screen and cross the Oka but only just. All RR's into Moscow are cut-off and an estimated 500K Russian soldiers find themselves isolated.

A Pz Div overruns Kalinin while another moves into the rear of the of the tenacious Rhzev defenders hoping this will convince Tarhunnas to retreat.
Further West, the fight for the VL-Rhzev RR reaches new intensity as multiple cav divs try to penetrate my lines. The situation becomes so critical that even Sec. regiments are pushed into the line.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 102
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 2:13:02 PM   
glvaca

CENTER ZOOM

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 103
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 2:13:04 PM   
timmyab

Yes, cavalry on the flanks is good practice for Soviet players.You have to plant a seed of doubt in the mind of the Axis player to prevent him thinning out his flanks too much even if it means losing the odd cavalry division now and again.As you say more often than not the division will be routed out anyway because it's just too time consuming for the Axis player to kill it.And there's always the chance that it'll hit the jackpot, like a stack or three of poorly placed air bases.

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 104
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 2:15:19 PM   
glvaca

NORTH
Here as well, multiple Cav divs try to infiltrate the flank but are beaten back, even if barely.
The link-up with the Fins is established and 3 Finish units move in to occupy the remaining port. Leningrad is now doomed but I intend to wait with the assault till Snow.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 6/21/2012 2:17:00 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 105
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 2:17:15 PM   
glvaca

quote:

ORIGINAL: timmyab

Yes, cavalry on the flanks is good practice for Soviet players.You have to plant a seed of doubt in the mind of the Axis player to prevent him thinning out his flanks too much even if it means losing the odd cavalry division now and again.As you say more often than not the division will be routed out anyway because it's just too time consuming for the Axis player to kill it.And there's always the chance that it'll hit the jackpot, like a stack or three of poorly placed air bases.

True, true, his constant efforts to cut my supplies has been a major concern throughout the campaign. However, at times I wonder whether some of these units would not have been better employed to defend Moscow itself...

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 106
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 2:19:42 PM   
glvaca

State of the Panzers end of turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 107
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 2:21:30 PM   
glvaca

Losses

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 108
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 2:21:47 PM   
glvaca

OOB

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 109
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 2:23:13 PM   
glvaca

SOUTH END

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 110
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 2:28:08 PM   
timmyab

quote:

ORIGINAL: glvaca

quote:

True, true, his constant efforts to cut my supplies has been a major concern throughout the campaign. However, at times I wonder whether some of these units would not have been better employed to defend Moscow itself...

Yes, I think he overdoes it.
quote:

Leningrad is now doomed but I intend to wait with the assault till Snow.

So the defenders don't get rebuilt?Smart.

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 111
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 2:35:35 PM   
glvaca

TURN 15
CENTER
I think this screenshot illustrates my point very well and is also at the basis why forward defends can work even with weak units.
Most, if not all, of the units which are used to cut-off units, re-open the Moscow pocket and push in the flanks are units which have been routed the turn before. Regardless of whether this is balanced or not, this certainly screams unrealistic to me.

Anyhow, the pocket is broken and he does not retreat in Rhzev BUT, the most important part of the ring holds. As does 2PzG flank (next shot) and so does the VL RR. In addition, Mansteins PzC arrives as do the 2nd and 5th Pz Divs.
Now, I must focus on making the ring unbreakable. If I fail, and he manages to break the pokcet again, I will not have enough time to clear it before mud which in turn will put me in a very bad supply situation. The stakes are high.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 112
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 2:40:28 PM   
glvaca

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, I think he overdoes it.
quote:

Leningrad is now doomed but I intend to wait with the assault till Snow.

So the defenders don't get rebuilt?Smart.

That's a nice bonus but wasn't my intention from the start. I had first planned to eliminate the pocket after the linkup with the Fins, but that proved much harder than I thought possible. So now, with only 3 turns before mud, and still alot of terrain to capture to have a good defensive line, it's basically the best option I have available. The assaulting Corps will be some of my best infantry (I & II Corps) and will need to go into Winter camp after that anyway. They'll do in on their way out, so to speak.

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 113
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 2:48:26 PM   
glvaca

CENTER RIGHT FLANK
The fight for the flank is in full swing and he makes several penetrations the most dangerous certainly in the vicinity of Tula. But overall, the flank holds, if only barely.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 6/21/2012 2:49:50 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 114
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 2:53:06 PM   
glvaca

SOUTH
As expected, an assortiment of units cut's of the spearhead occupying Stalino.
However, this presents another pocket opportunity...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 115
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 2:55:40 PM   
glvaca

NORTH
Once again he occupies previously cleared terrain which I was unable to occupy because of a lack of movement and units all together.
Once again, he tries to penetrate the flanks.
Once again, I'm fighting the same units routed last turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 6/21/2012 2:57:25 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 116
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 3:00:29 PM   
glvaca

CENTER LEFT FLANK
The pocket is re-established but only after hard fighting and I feel none to strong in the black circled area. Let's hope lady Fortuna is with me!

Red circles, routed units this turn...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 6/21/2012 3:02:17 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 117
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 3:06:23 PM   
glvaca

CENTER RIGHT FLANK
Some hard fighting here to re-establish the flank and prevent further breakthroughs.
Next turn will be critical. If he can break my flank I might well be in trouble.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 6/21/2012 3:32:02 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 118
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 3:07:40 PM   
glvaca

CENTER OVERVIEW

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 6/21/2012 3:09:24 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 119
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/21/2012 3:11:28 PM   
glvaca

SOUTH
XIV PzC is brought back in supply and I have the means to occupy both ports against the Azov Sea. Yet another pocket in the making. IT'll be broken, but with some luck, not much is getting out.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI