Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/9/2012 10:15:30 PM   
glvaca

OOB
Soviet is down to just under 3.5 million...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 61
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/9/2012 10:15:51 PM   
glvaca

Unit Losses

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 62
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/9/2012 10:16:23 PM   
glvaca

Air losses

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 63
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/9/2012 10:16:48 PM   
glvaca

Production, ARM's continue to drop...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 64
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/9/2012 10:21:16 PM   
glvaca

TURN 9

CENTER
As expected he breaks both pockets. This will buy him a turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 6/9/2012 10:23:36 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 65
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/9/2012 10:29:10 PM   
glvaca

SOUTH
Tarhunnas belatedly tries to extricuate himself from West of the Dnepr but I still seem to have a chance of pocketting him against the Pripjet.
For the current turn I'm hoping to make the link-up with 4th Army infantry out of Gomel.
However, having crossed the Dnepr, the supply state of the Panzers drops significantly. It's going to be tight.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 66
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/9/2012 10:30:06 PM   
glvaca

He devilshly moves in 2 units to put the Dnepr crossing in ZOC and thus extend my SP values significantly.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 67
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/9/2012 10:34:15 PM   
glvaca

NORTH
He finally decides to retreat behind the Luga and shift troops from the swamps and protecting the backdoor North.
Still, I have excellent infantry from I, II, XXIV, XXX & XIII Corps available to help 4 PzG on its way.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 68
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/9/2012 10:55:23 PM   
glvaca

State of the Panzers start of turn 9. Still 8 turns to go before mud...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 69
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/11/2012 11:29:41 PM   
sillyflower

I'm with you on the objectives - kill enough commies and the terrain will be yours, and will remains yours during the winter. You sure seem to be killing enough....

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 70
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/12/2012 3:07:17 PM   
glvaca

NORTH CONTINUED
Once again I fail to push through to the Sea or Leningrad by a very slim margin and because of several holds along the way. About 10+ divisions are saved from being cut-off. Tarhunnas played with fire but will get away with it this time.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 71
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/12/2012 3:19:31 PM   
glvaca

CENTER CONTINUED
I focus on re-establishing the pocket and expanding the terrain held to the East.
A PZ Corps (including the 7th Pz) is taken out of the front for some R&R.
4th Army lunges forward to linkup with 1 PzG's drive from Kiev. The linkup is made but only just and will no doubt be broken. Nevertheless, the trap has been spun and yet another front like pocket is made.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 6/12/2012 3:20:48 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 72
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/18/2012 2:13:10 PM   
glvaca

TURN 10
NORTH
Before moves, but with recon.
As a side note, I've been on holiday for the last week and while I had my laptop and we did play a few turns, the resolution was so low it's very difficult to take any kind of decent SS. I'm used to playing on a 26inch monitor and I have to tell you it greatly enhances the playing experience. If you have the means I'd certainly recommend the investement.

Tarhannus takes to opportunity to withdraw his forces East, out of the failed pocket, to reinforce the Leningrad defences.
The massed infantry, rested and refitted to a large extend explodes and wreaks havoc on the weakened infantry defending the approaches of Leningrad.
The city is first isolated and then bypassed to the East with an eye on capturing the ports that keep it in supply.
Von Mansteins PzCorps (reinforced with 1SS Mot & SS Cav Brigades) is used to exploit but fails to cross the Volkov because of a lack of movement points to attack. His line was very flimsy at that point. Not so the turn after. Again, I fail to achieve my goals through speed, necesitating infantry to achieve the crossing.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 6/20/2012 7:03:30 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 73
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/18/2012 2:24:04 PM   
glvaca

CENTER
Both pockets hold and the time has now come to split PzG2 & 3 and assign different objectives. However, the last few turns of combat has left them noticeably weaker and most divisions are in need of refit.

PzG3 is urgently needed to clear the way for RR conversion on the all important RR from VL to Rzhev but I still have 2 turns until the RR brigade gets to the point it will be obstructed.
So most of the PZG 3 will go off the line and into refit. PzG3 infantry and 9th Army starts attacking through the Belyi axis in preparation for what is to come.

PzG2 is still needed (to some extent) in the Front line to enable to infantry to clear the pockets but here also the maximum is pulled out of the line and replaced with infantry where possible.

The infantry starts clearing the pockets but I use mostly diliberate attacks to avoid stupid helds and the associated morale loss. Still, several divisions are pushed further East in the general direction of Bryansk.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 74
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/18/2012 2:33:21 PM   
glvaca

KIEV POCKET
The Kiev pocket is re-established and can't be broken.
Unfortunately, there is few infantry available to relieve the Panzers and quite a few divisions are very low on fuel having had their supply path in enemy ZOC.
Nevertheless, Heinrici's XXXIII Corps infantry (all 86+ morale) proves it's worth by pushing ESE, while other 4th Army inf. pushes SW to reduce the size of the pocket asap. Most enemy divs, retreat or route in the pocket although some get away. Next turn, the elimination of the pocket can start in earnest.

IT's clear though that reducing the pocket will take more than 1 turn, in addition the size and the nature of the terrain forces a large commitment of infantry which will be sorely missed when the advance East restarts in earnest.

At the same time 1PzG pushes East to increase the distance between the lines. Progress is easy but I don't want to go to far and decline several small pockets which would be more trouble than they are worth. Overall, many divisions are routing now versus retreating earlier.

17th Army inf. starts pushing East in the direction of Kharkov.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 6/21/2012 10:12:47 AM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 75
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/18/2012 2:39:29 PM   
glvaca

SOUTH
A small pocket SE from Kiev (already isolated) is cleaned up and as many divs as possible move East in the general direction of Kharkov. I'm still 2 more turns away from having a RR over the Dnepr, until then, the going will be slow for the panzers.

On the West bank of the Dnepr, 6th & 11th Armies with Allies, push on in the directions of D & Z-town & the Crimea.
The going is slowed down considerably by well placed delaying units behind rivers.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 76
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/18/2012 2:51:18 PM   
glvaca

ORGANIZATIONAL
Unfortunately, I don't have ending shots.

ARMY
11th Army is now "liberated" from the Rumanian divisions and has now 4 Corps attached with 12 inf. Divs among them.
Most Corps now have the arty SU's I want them to have and I still have a considerable reserve of useful Arty, flak and other SU's at OKH.
I now start the process of assigning better leaders for the better Corps. In addition, pioneers, stugs and other valuable SU's are assigned away from ordinary corps to OHK for assignment to the assault Corps later.

LUFTWAFFE
With the drive on Leningrad in excellent supply, if transfer the Ju52 assets to the Center and South Luftflotte to have 4 in the Center & 3 in the South.
Ju87 Gruppe are moved to the reserve or moved to the fighter airbases to free up airbases for use by Level bombers. Most bomber airbases start the game massively over their support value seriously diminishing their effectiveness. For optimal use, no more than 2 gruppe and 1 Stab should be assigned per airbase. In addition, the Ju87's Gruppe have suffered massive losses the last few turns and they are in need of rest.

At the same time I stop using the luftwaffe for air support & interdiction and move them close to the RR's. They need a breather and although annoying interdiction doesn't seem to be all that useful. I've never had a unit reduced in movement points because of it for example although perhaps it is responsible for some unexplicable loss of morale for some infantry divisions, but I'll post a different thread for that elsewhere.
Besides, I want them fresh for the battle of Moscow which will soon start.

< Message edited by glvaca -- 6/18/2012 2:54:40 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 77
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 3:56:28 PM   
glvaca

The picture:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 78
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 7:14:43 PM   
glvaca

TURN 11
No screenshots.

NORTH
I & II Corps push on and cross the lower Volkhov with difficulty but I decide not to commit the panzers to exploit. The terrain is just to bad.
Pzg4's XXXXI PzCorps is railed out towards Rhzev to help PzG3 in a direct push towards Moscow.

CENTER
PzG3's Panzers, supported by infantry attack towards Rhzev through Belyi and make good progress although the usual hugging by Soviet units causes the usual delays and attrition to the spearheads.

PzG2 is resting and refitting while the infantry finishes the pockets & moves up and attacks in the direction of Bryansk.
2 small additional pockets are made consisting mostely out of beaten down divisions just routed.

The Smolensk and Mogilev pockets are eliminated.

SOUTH
PzG1 pushes on in the general direction of Kursk, covering 4th Armies flank, which in turn is covering the flank of PzG2.
The elimination of the Kiev pocket starts in earnest and goes faster than expected allowing for the withdrawel of several Corps next turn.
11th Army is trying to cross the lower Dnepr, but the going is slow.

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 79
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 7:23:23 PM   
glvaca

TURN 12
Only ending screenshots.

NORTH
I push on over the Volkhov needing to fight every step of the way. Every hex is contested and, if I fail to occupy a cleared hex, I will need to fight for it again next turn. Very often, routed units are rallied and pushed back into the line immediately. In fact, this is a patern that is repeated accross the board. It amazes me how most rally each and every turn, are put back into the line and succeed often to cause a held here and there if I'm not careful or if I just have plain bad luck, it seems...

I still have Manstein's PzC in reserve in case I score a breakthrough but don't commit them this turn.

The Fins make their appearance up North and I come within 1 hex (no ZOC) of capturing the remaining port on the cheap, but it is not to be.

In addition, a very interesting, confused and extremely important fight for the flanks from Novgorod down to Rhzev is taking place, which will increase in intensity over the next few turns.

Overview

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 6/21/2012 10:15:27 AM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 80
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 7:33:36 PM   
glvaca

CENTER
One of the few voluntary retreats Tarhannus makes is in the very Center West of Vyazma. 2nd Army infantry follows up happily.
One PzCorps of PzG2 & one of PzG3 gets a HQ buildup. The PzG3 Corps (green circle) is actually in the frontline and has attacked heavily during the turn. As it turns out they are actually almost cut-off next turn but have almost full movement nonetheless.
Every infantry division I can find is railed in to reinforce the Rhzev drive which has started on a budget.
9th Army's strength is constantly sapped by the need for a strong flank defense.
Next turn an important decision will have to be made, where will I go?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 6/21/2012 10:16:14 AM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 81
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 7:40:57 PM   
glvaca

CENTER ZOOM
The battle for the flanks can be better seen from this picture. If he even manages to break through my lines and cut that rail for one turn, the consequences could be fatal. Many of the reinforcing divs are therefore directed to the flanks while they are desperately needed to help the assault.

To make matters worse, Rhzev is relatively strongly held and must be taken in order to allow the RR conversion to continue unimpeted.

Still, Moscow is tantalizingly close.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 82
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 7:47:55 PM   
glvaca

SOUTH
The Kiev pocket is eliminated but, as can be seen, sustantial effort was needed to clear the pocket so quickly.

PzG1 is concentrated (bar 1 Corps which didn't have fuel) West of Poltava, which falls to infantry of 17th Army.
Kharkov, here we come!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 83
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 7:48:35 PM   
glvaca

OOB

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 84
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 7:48:55 PM   
glvaca

Losses

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 85
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 8:04:30 PM   
glvaca

TURN 13
After the relative calm of the previous turns, the East front erupts again as PzG-en 1, 2, 3 & part of 4 launch the second phase of Operation Barbarossa. With the border battles well behind, we need to make up for lost time and focus on capturing territory, maybe some industry and above all, manpower.

All SS are end of turn.

NORTH
With the Volkhov well behind the front line, I finally start making progress towards the NE and the linkup with the Fins is getting closer. Novgorod falls and the West bank is almost cleared. Still, he maintains that annoying and threatening bulge aimed right at my supply line which is a constant source of concern.
Nevertheless, I think it was a mistake to bypass Leningrad, it's simply taking much longer than I expected. Truth be told tough, Tarhunnas is showing he is a top notch opponent by fighting hard up North. I'm sorely missing I & II Corps in the drive on Moscow.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 6/20/2012 8:20:16 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 86
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 8:07:25 PM   
glvaca

NORTH ZOOM
I decide to move out Von Manstein's Corps to help in the Center.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 87
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 8:18:13 PM   
glvaca

CENTER
Here, things are happening. PzG Guderian, consisting of 3 PzC & XIII C., with assistance of 2nd Army infantry blows a 100Km wide hole into the Russian line between Kaluga and Orel and exploits all the way to Tula and beyond with scant opposition.

PzG3, punches straight for Moscow in an effort to fix his attention on the immediate treat, and one he cannot ignore. Rhzev is taken but a stuborn division in the swamp hex to the East repels 3 attacks.

4th Army advances and covers the right flank of PzG2. Now, the battle for the flanks will begin in earnest.

I took a serious gamble by choosing to go deep and wide at this point. I'm chronically short on infantry and I dare not use 4th Army in the drive as well. Any weakness on the flanks will be exploited ruthlessly.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 88
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 8:23:12 PM   
glvaca

CENTER RIGHT ZOOM
Close up shot of the Right flank in the battle for Moscow.
I misclicked and as a result the Mot. Div in the red circle ended up a little too far forward instead of where the arrow points it should have been. Please note, nothing is visible in the neighboorhood far and wide and I did do extensive recon!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 89
RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) - 6/20/2012 8:29:02 PM   
glvaca

CENTER LEFT ZOOM
For the first time in this campaign, I run into heavily defended and fortified hexes. His constant penetrations on the flanks force me to create a strong cordon to saveguard supplies for next turn. With the RR converted to the hex just SW of Rhzev I'm in pretty good supply overall.
Alarmingly, several Cav divisions are identified very close to the RR forcing more and more infantry to be committed on the flanks.

I've had my eye on the red circle area for a while but judged the moment to soon to attack in that direction. Hopefully, he will not be able to reinforce that area by next turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 6/20/2012 8:30:40 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Tackling the Russian bear (No Tarhunnas pls) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI