Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 12:05:47 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
He's a Yankee and is very good at doing the things that Yankees do best.

What's that? Pleasing Southern women?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 31
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 12:05:56 AM   
danlongman

Everybody just light a fire form a circle and sing "Kumbaya".

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 32
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 12:41:34 AM   
JohnDillworth

I don't know. With a couple of exceptions I find most of the folks here pretty nice. As a rule everybody here is helpful and polite and sometimes outright funny. We have our spats, but I have only occasionally had to use the green button. I think the peace is kept because politics is verbotten. I wonder how long we would last as a group if no topics were forbidden and there was no moderation. I just got on facebook a year or two ago and I was amazed at some of the political views of people I grew up with have. I guess they think the same about me. Anyway, religion and politics leads to no good so I am happy to hang with this bunch

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it’s still on the list.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 33
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 2:01:33 AM   
Commander Stormwolf

You can't fight in here, this is the war room

"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 34
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 3:46:11 AM   
mdiehl

quote:

I wonder how long we would last as a group if no topics were forbidden and there was no moderation.

Depends on the people in the group. I know a forum where it's pretty much all religion and politics, largely composed of people who left the Art of War forum. It gets... contentious, and even flame wars erupt from time to time, but you don't see people carrying it around from thread to thread like you do here. Maybe it is because the other forum is largely unmoderated, so no one is going to lock a thread. You can't just flame someone there and then start demanding that the thread be locked to save you from retaliation, as certain people around here, alluded to tangentially by DD696, have been known to do. So there's less deliberately offensive posting.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 35
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 3:58:45 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

OK-have it your way, long-eared rubber nosed swamp donkey Allied Fanboi!

Sir, I demand satisfaction! Squirrels at ten paces!

The Moose

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 36
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 4:01:09 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

OK-have it your way, long-eared rubber nosed swamp donkey Allied Fanboi!

Sir, I demand satisfaction! Squirrels at ten paces!

pfff.....HoneyBadger don't care......Honeybadger just keeps on digging......

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 37
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 5:41:45 AM   
Aces8

For the OP

Attachment (1)

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 38
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 7:07:13 AM   
LoBaron

Thanks for your thoughts on the topic everone.

I agree with much of what is said here, as always things are only a matter of perspective.

To adress one frequently mentioned point specifically:

I use the green button myself sometimes, but I have to admit that many interesting discussions and contributions to those
discussions are the result of (initially) highly divergent opinions. If you let your green button list grow above certain limits, or
use GB constantly just because you find specific posters annoying, and everybody does it, this would begin to suppress discussions
between people constantly at oppposing ends of a topic.

This forum is full of teachers, I mean this as a compliment. No place - and no book - has ever shaped my big picture of WWII and the PTO
in general, and every small aspect influencing it, as the WitP posters. I learned much here, and often through very opinionated debates between
forum members with a long - and often difficult - shared past.
The GB prevents those discussions, and it prevents it more likely when people involved have a long forum history. This is why I seldom use it
permanently and do not think it is an optimal solution or replaces a moderator.

I also want to point out that my initial post might be a bit, erm, theatrically, as I agree that the forum easily resides in the top 10% of online communities
nowerdays as far as social competence is concerned. But residing in the top 10% nowerdays is not much of a compliment. I am frequently disgusted
what is splattered around the web, on every topic, asked or not, without any attempt to think about consequences. Its ugly.
So I don´t buy the "we are behaving better than the others" stuff. What is frequently written on the anonymity of the net is beyond everthing I would ever
even think about another person.

We are not unknowns to each other. Some here I view as friends, many as acquainances. And many others, those I constantly disagree with, at least I know
how their clock ticks around here (hope this is the right phrase). So I guess I know them too.

The title of this was chosen on purpose. I do not think we require a moderater to survive as a community, helpful as it would be.
Think of it as a statement on how I think this forum should behave as a community, as there is enough knowledge and decency around here to justify the respect
from all of us.

Finally, I did not want to give the impression this thread is a reaction to some specific post. I thought about posting in those lines for quite some time
now and it was absolutely not intended to attack a specific behaviour. And in fact it is as much a reminder for myself as for everybody else.
Please view it as such.

Thanks guys, now whats that stuff about VT-8? Pulled the Zekes down to sealevel and saved Midway with their sacrifice, or was only a small sideshow
that did in no way directly influence the general attrition of the IJN CAP umbrella leading to the destruction of Yamamoto´s carriers?

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to Aces8)
Post #: 39
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 7:18:14 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

I don't know. With a couple of exceptions I find most of the folks here pretty nice. As a rule everybody here is helpful and polite and sometimes outright funny. We have our spats, but I have only occasionally had to use the green button. I think the peace is kept because politics is verbotten. I wonder how long we would last as a group if no topics were forbidden and there was no moderation. I just got on facebook a year or two ago and I was amazed at some of the political views of people I grew up with have. I guess they think the same about me. Anyway, religion and politics leads to no good so I am happy to hang with this bunch

I think everyone has a bad day or takes something the wrong way every once in a while...I know I do. And in those times we post without thinking it through first. And I think that so long as its only a rare occurrence, we are all for the most part fairly forgiving when it happens. It's when it becomes a common thing that it starts to be a problem, as it disrupts the harmony of the boards.

And yeah, religion and politics are two topics best left out of here...or anywhere for that matter.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 40
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 9:15:49 AM   
YankeeAirRat

Bullwinkle58,

That reminds me do you think your boys over at Wottsamotta U have a chance this year against the Big City Manglers or even my school Tic Toc Tech?

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 41
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 1:02:30 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Thanks guys, now whats that stuff about VT-8? Pulled the Zekes down to sealevel and saved Midway with their sacrifice, or was only a small sideshow
that did in no way directly influence the general attrition of the IJN CAP umbrella leading to the destruction of Yamamoto´s carriers?

Their heroic sacrifice bought the Germans sufficient time to scuttle the Bismarck and deny the Brits their prize.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 42
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 1:12:16 PM   
treespider

quote:

quote:

Their heroic sacrifice bought the Germans sufficient time to scuttle the Bismarck and deny the Brits their prize.

Reminds me of a passage from William Craig's Enemy at the Gates, IIRC, in which a German Sergeant single handedly "rescued" thousands of horses before the Russian onslaught and got the horses into the pocket. Extrapolating that event - The horses were eventually eaten, but provided sustenance to the surrounded Germans allowing the pocket to survive, likely a month or two longer than it would have without the presence of the horses. Thereby shaping the entire landscape of postwar Europe.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 43
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 1:23:43 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: YankeeAirRat

Bullwinkle58,

That reminds me do you think your boys over at Wottsamotta U have a chance this year against the Big City Manglers or even my school Tic Toc Tech?

I think my boys would have an excellent chance to pulverize those two weeniefests except Wottsamotto U equipment managers sent the raccoon coats out to be cleaned, lost the chits, and now the team is so dispirited they're curled up in the fetal position in their rumble seats, seriously deforming the trademark straw boaters given to every frosh. Those boaters are simply the bee's knees, and without them, or the coats, the games are probably 23-skidoo.

The Moose

(in reply to YankeeAirRat)
Post #: 44
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 2:15:07 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

quote:

quote:

Reminds me of a passage from William Craig's Enemy at the Gates, IIRC, in which a German Sergeant single handedly "rescued" thousands of horses before the Russian onslaught and got the horses into the pocket. Extrapolating that event - The horses were eventually eaten, but provided sustenance to the surrounded Germans allowing the pocket to survive, likely a month or two longer than it would have without the presence of the horses. Thereby shaping the entire landscape of postwar Europe.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

A flutter here, a flutter there... butterflies rule the world, and thereby: the universe.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 45
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 8:11:26 PM   
YankeeAirRat

quote:

quote:

Bullwinkle58,

I think my boys would have an excellent chance to pulverize those two weeniefests except Wottsamotto U equipment managers sent the raccoon coats out to be cleaned, lost the chits, and now the team is so dispirited they're curled up in the fetal position in their rumble seats, seriously deforming the trademark straw boaters given to every frosh. Those boaters are simply the bee's knees, and without them, or the coats, the games are probably 23-skidoo.

Well that makes sense with what I have heard about one R.J. Squirrel getting arrested with a load of "special" snacks in his luggage coming back from Mexico.

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

Post #: 46
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 8:21:09 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bullwinkle58,

Well that makes sense with what I have heard about one R.J. Squirrel getting arrested with a load of "special" snacks in his luggage coming back from Mexico.

I have luggage too. And, I found my coat!!!

Attachment (1)

The Moose

(in reply to YankeeAirRat)
Post #: 47
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 8:40:33 PM   
Treetop64

Very thoughtful post LoBaron.

This forum is actually the most well-behaved gaming forum I've ever visited, believe it or not. Nearly everyone is respectful, even while disagreeing. Nearly everyone takes the time to type complete, grammatically correct, and intelligently expressed sentences. People here are extremely knowledgeable about a wide array of topics and subjects. One gets the impression that more professionals visit this forum than any other type of person. Things used to be that way in other rooms, specifically the UbiSoft IL-2 forums. Years ago it was a similar environment there but recently things have taken a turn for the worse. The forum was overrun by "brats" and participation by the regulars plummeted. My view is that the mods there were too soft on many regular offenders and let that behavior continue for far too long before doing anything about it. It's all but dead in those forums now.

I hope the same thing doesn't happen here, but I don't think we'll see that happen. The crowd here is different, in a good way.

"Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it"

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 48
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 9:30:38 PM   
AW1Steve

I believe in moderation in all things. Including moderation. Too much moderation isn't good for you.

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 49
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 11:16:41 PM   
DD696

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. How anyone can think that obtaining a person's DD-214 through means not legal and threatening to publish it on the internet is hilarious, is simply beyond my comprehension.
quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DD696

The reasons this forum appears to me to have lost any significant moderator support is due to:

1) The game is not producing enough monetary input to Matrix to continue with it's consistent support.

2) Mr. Wilkerson has primarily moved on to other projects.

3) Many of the main disruptions on this forum are caused by former AE team members: therefore they seem to have immunity and act with impunity and, at times, downright arrogance. Still waiting to know if you want a copy of my DD-214, JWE? But, I guess, you have a method of procuring them whenever you want - however illegal that may be.

As I said not long ago and was criticized by some, the punks are running wild.
I do not think this forum will ever be moderated in the manner in which it should.

The two bolded lines taken in tanden are, if nothing else, a bit hilarious. Give the DD-214 thing a rest, will ya?

For everybody else, how about a group hug and get back to destroying the Japanese Empire?

If you can't do that, look up the Net definition of "troll." It's not "somebody I disagree with." I've been on Usenet about every day since 1992 and what is called trolling here is, with about five mostly banned exceptions, laughably not.

If you're still mad after that, insult me. Mooses got big shoulders. Let the rest of it go, OK? People said things, people are sorry.

USMC: 1970-1977.

Post #: 50
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/5/2012 11:27:36 PM   
The Gnome

Just wanted to drop my two cents, despite the fact I didn't even get a single "+1" on my Julie Newmar post

I've been on the Matrix forums, going back to the UV days. I've been here for as long as I have due to the really high signal to noise ratio. The vast majority of the posters here, are generally very well behaved compared to almost any other public forum I've ever visited. This place has been a treasure trove of in depth information about the war int he Pacific, and WWII in general, not to mention the games themselves.

The posters are by and large, really well informed, smart, funny, and reasonable. There have been some notable breakdowns of course, but that's due to the fact that in a faceless environment like a forum can cause breakdowns in civil behavior when something causes passions to be stoked (ie F4F v Zero).

I guess my point is, maybe take a step back and see how good we have it here.

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 51
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/6/2012 3:22:21 AM   
Bullwinkle58

deleted

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 6/6/2012 2:19:06 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 52
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/6/2012 6:38:38 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treetop64

Very thoughtful post LoBaron.

This forum is actually the most well-behaved gaming forum I've ever visited, believe it or not. Nearly everyone is respectful, even while disagreeing. Nearly everyone takes the time to type complete, grammatically correct, and intelligently expressed sentences. People here are extremely knowledgeable about a wide array of topics and subjects. One gets the impression that more professionals visit this forum than any other type of person. Things used to be that way in other rooms, specifically the UbiSoft IL-2 forums. Years ago it was a similar environment there but recently things have taken a turn for the worse. The forum was overrun by "brats" and participation by the regulars plummeted. My view is that the mods there were too soft on many regular offenders and let that behavior continue for far too long before doing anything about it. It's all but dead in those forums now.

I hope the same thing doesn't happen here, but I don't think we'll see that happen. The crowd here is different, in a good way.

Thank you Treetop!

Funny, you hit exactly the center of one of the reasons I felt the need to post.

I am (was, I don´t visit that place of lost manners anymore) a long time lurker over at the IL-2 forums. It was a community absolutely comparable to this one in knowledge, maybe
not in age and experience. The CoD release made averything go downhill and this chain reacted on the IL-2 forum.
To see anybody there participating in a discussion with opposing points of view and a forums history older than a couple of months, is an absolute rarity last time I checked.

Something as radical cannot happen here, the combination of the completely miscalculated Cliffs of Dover release and the promised shiny New And Improved graphics engine
was the best prerequisite to combine the draw of masses of new folk, and then leave them heavily disappointed. They had to go their in their anger. Sadly it killed one of
the best forums on the net before anybody got the picture.

This cannot happen here, as the prerequisites do not exist. But it happened fast enough for me to be surprized, and that it was a(n additional) reason to post, maybe simply
as a reminder.

DD696: I have an appeal. Would you mind changing your sig line?
There was anger, there was a mistake, and as TheMoose said, there was an apology. I firmly believe that the involved are aware there was a line crossed and stepped back.
No need to add a memorial of a bad moment of a good guy to everything meaningful you are posting.

Better use something significant. I, for example, chose two lines to try make me look wise. Although I am not.

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 53
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/6/2012 7:33:50 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

I am (was, I don´t visit that place of lost manners anymore) a long time lurker over at the IL-2 forums. It was a community absolutely comparable to this one in knowledge, maybe
not in age and experience. The CoD release made averything go downhill and this chain reacted on the IL-2 forum.
To see anybody there participating in a discussion with opposing points of view and a forums history older than a couple of months, is an absolute rarity last time I checked.

Something as radical cannot happen here, the combination of the completely miscalculated Cliffs of Dover release and the promised shiny New And Improved graphics engine
was the best prerequisite to combine the draw of masses of new folk, and then leave them heavily disappointed. They had to go their in their anger. Sadly it killed one of
the best forums on the net before anybody got the picture.

This cannot happen here, as the prerequisites do not exist. But it happened fast enough for me to be surprized, and that it was a(n additional) reason to post, maybe simply
as a reminder.

I owned every single Il-2 that ever was... I even helped Oleg Maddox long time ago (when I was involved with Flanker developement)...

The "Cliffs of Dover" is total disaster and, I am afraid, it was final nail into Il-2 franchise... Oleg is long gone as well...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 54
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/6/2012 2:22:19 PM   
treespider

There is in the United States the concept of the Neighborhood Watch. The Neighborhood Watch is utilized by law enforcement as an aid because they cannot be everywhere all of the time. The Neighborhood Watch is NOT a vigilante concept...it is simply the eyes and ears for law enforcement that will help them possibly detect and deter crime.
The neighborhood watch allow citizens to help in the fight against crime.

That being said I recommend that since Mr. Wilkerson cannot be everywhere all of the time, we as a community form our own 'neighborhood watch', and refer Mr. Wilkerson and or Matrix Games to egregious violations of the forum rules, as opposed to simply complaining to no one in particular that nothing is being done.

As an example earlier today I was subjected to a completely unprovoked personal insult by HansBolter in the OT DeadCat thread. I have sent a PM to Joe Wilkerson to address the issue as a violation of the 'No Trolling' rule of the Matrix Forums. Should Mr. Wilkerson not address the issue I intend to contact Matrix Games.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 55
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/6/2012 2:34:51 PM   
witpqs

People have already been doing that with cases they see as egregious. No forming of anything is required.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 56
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/6/2012 2:36:46 PM   
AW1Steve

We have such an informal agreement for quite some time. It's slow,cranky and sometimes takes a while. But it generally works.

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 57
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/6/2012 2:44:53 PM   
JocMeister

I was a ladder manager over att Clanbase a long time ago. With it came the responsibilty of supervising that portion of the forum. If there is one thing I learnt doing that is that rules have to be followed all the time, without exceptions. From what I can tell being mostly a "lurker" here it seems like the rules are not enforced on this forum as they should be. Sometimes because the offender is a "known" member or perhaps simply because the moderator(s) are very reluctant to enforce the rules.

This quickly leads to escalation. If people knew with a 100% certainty that they were going to be banned they would take more care before lashing out. Having rules but not enforcing them kind of defeats the purpose of having rules in the first place. So either start enforcing them or just remove them. There can´t be a middle ground.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 58
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/6/2012 2:49:55 PM   
Capt Hornblower

quote:

What's everyone got against the USS Tracy (DD-214) anyways?

For anyone wondering, a DD-214 is the Defense Dept form documenting service and given to a servicemember on separation.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 59
RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation - 6/6/2012 2:55:29 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Hornblower

quote:

What's everyone got against the USS Tracy (DD-214) anyways?

For anyone wondering, a DD-214 is the Defense Dept form documenting service and given to a servicemember on separation.

In layman terms, it's legal proof that a veteran is a veteran. I know that you have a few of those "Capt" Paul.

(in reply to Capt Hornblower)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI