Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A SIMPLE GUIDE TO THE OPERATIONS INTERFACE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Achtung Panzer Operation Star >> A SIMPLE GUIDE TO THE OPERATIONS INTERFACE Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A SIMPLE GUIDE TO THE OPERATIONS INTERFACE - 6/3/2012 9:28:31 AM   
redmarkus4

Quick Battles are fun, but the heart of APOS is its operational battles.

Click START in the main menu to enter the Campaigns and Quick Battle selection screen.

Clicking on an operation opens up a list of Operations within that campaign.

The Player side (you cannot choose sides in an Operation) is indicated by the Flag on the left.

The number of Battles (Played/Remaining) is shown on the right.

Attachment (1)

Cyberpower tower PC
Intel Core i7-3930k CPU, 3.20GHz processor
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
2xNVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards, each with 4095 MB
Realtek sound card
Dell 3007WFP (running at 2560x1600) 32 bit monitor
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit O
Post #: 1
RE: A SIMPLE GUIDE TO THE OPERATIONS INTERFACE - 6/3/2012 9:31:36 AM   
redmarkus4

Click on an Operation to open the Operation Map.

Attachment (1)

Cyberpower tower PC
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
Realtek sound card

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 2
RE: A SIMPLE GUIDE TO THE OPERATIONS INTERFACE - 6/3/2012 9:40:46 AM   
redmarkus4

Press 'F2' or click the button with the tick at the foot of the screen to toggle between the units display and the 'Briefing'.

Unfortunately, the APOS 'Briefings' are pretty rudimentary. I have added the text shown in this image to explain what you are being shown. You will need to deduce this for yourself when playing the game, so spend a little time on this screen and make sure you have read the general one sentence briefing at the scenario selection stage.

This feature needs a lot of improvement.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by redmarkus4 -- 6/3/2012 10:20:23 AM >

Cyberpower tower PC
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
Realtek sound card

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 3
RE: A SIMPLE GUIDE TO THE OPERATIONS INTERFACE - 6/3/2012 9:46:24 AM   
redmarkus4

In the units map view you can click on any unit to select it.

Units that are arriving as reinforcements but which cannot yet move can't be selected. It's not always obvious which units these are, but a few mouse clicks will answer the question for you.

The green squares indicate the locations the unit can move to. You move by right-clicking.

The grey circles are other possible movement locations that the selected unit cannot reach this turn.

The dark red 'Entrenchment' symbols around the units shown indicate that they are already dug in. On the battlefield these units will have the benefit of trenches and other emplacements.

Units that have just moved will not be dug in, but they can use any trenches left in the location from earlier battles, so make a note of where these might be as the game progresses.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by redmarkus4 -- 6/3/2012 10:21:37 AM >

Cyberpower tower PC
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
Realtek sound card

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 4
RE: A SIMPLE GUIDE TO THE OPERATIONS INTERFACE - 6/3/2012 9:54:13 AM   
redmarkus4

The larger circles are Victory Locations. The size of each circle indicates its importance.

Victory locations are colored to show the controlling side. Those dominated by your forces are Red, the AI's locations are Blue and those not held by either side are Grey.

On the battle map these locations will show up as large flags for the respective sides, with neutral locations colored White.

(Why we don't see the same flags on the briefing map, I don't know).

IIRC, the smaller movement locations show up on the battle map as minor objectives (small flags).

From playing the game, I deduce that domination (i.e. the ratio of forces in the vicinity) determines the final outcome with respect to VL control, rather than the question of who had a squad sitting on the location when the battle ended. I view this as the more realistic option, if that's how the game is actually working.

Attachment (1)

Cyberpower tower PC
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
Realtek sound card

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 5
RE: A SIMPLE GUIDE TO THE OPERATIONS INTERFACE - 6/3/2012 10:00:34 AM   
redmarkus4

When you are done with your moves, press ENTER. The AI will now make its own moves and the battles for that turn are displayed as flame icons. If no battles appear, move again and press ENTER once more.

NOTE WELL: You can (and should) concentrate more than one unit on an objective for any given battle. Also, adjacent units, including those immediately BEHIND your engaged units, will appear on the battle map, so position reserves and artillery accordingly, while keeping supply units etc. further back to avoid committing them. Finally, if you have time and your units move beyond the initial battle area on the game map, you will encounter any other enemy units that started in those locations. These can include supply and artillery units (nice prizes) as well as un-spotted tank formations moving up from the rear, so recon well and advance with caution!

You can now choose which battle to fight first. Choose carefully as the forces engaged in adjacent battles on the map may include some of the same units. Any losses inflicted or suffered in one such battle will carry over into the adjacent battle. If your force is destroyed, or you destroy the enemy force, the adjacent battle may not occur in some cases.

I like this layer of uncertainty and suspect that there's a whole level of strategy here that I have not yet mastered.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by redmarkus4 -- 6/3/2012 10:28:53 AM >

Cyberpower tower PC
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
Realtek sound card

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 6
RE: A SIMPLE GUIDE TO THE OPERATIONS INTERFACE - 6/3/2012 10:15:08 AM   
redmarkus4

As you advance through the available operations the numbers of units and the complexity of each operation increases. The screenie below shows my progress as the 11th Panzer Div during the Kharkov Defense Operation, the second-to-last OP on my list (I have the APOS game expansions).

With a few refinements, this could actually be a stand-alone game in its own right, without the need for 3D battles!

Eventually, you will need to make many challenging decisions and no two operations are ever likely to play out the same way.

Reserves, supply units and repair units (circled in white by me) will start to arrive. Move these close to units requiring reinforcements, supplies or vehicle refits - those very units should be pulled out of the line and held back for just that purpose.

APOS is a rich and many-layered game that should satisfy both tacticians and operational-level players.

The main features missing, IMHO, are:

1. A strategic layer where I can decide, for example, whether to attack Kharkov, focus further north or south, etc.
2. A SIMPLE Campaign Editor that a simple minded person like me can use to build any number of new campaigns on the same maps.
3. A map editor to allow the creation of User Campaigns and Scenarios.

These features would extend the appeal and longevity of the game dramatically and are some of the main investments of time and effort the Devs should be making, I feel.

Ultimately, I would like to see a dynamically branching campaign model that takes players from 1941 to 1945, with the corresponding equipment and skill changes as the war progresses. Take this online as a multiplayer experience, at both the strategic and tactical levels, and Graviteam will probably have a winning formula that would place them ahead in this market niche.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by redmarkus4 -- 6/3/2012 10:30:55 AM >

Cyberpower tower PC
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
Realtek sound card

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 7
RE: A SIMPLE GUIDE TO THE OPERATIONS INTERFACE - 6/3/2012 10:19:07 AM   
redmarkus4

Deleted

Cyberpower tower PC
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
Realtek sound card

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Achtung Panzer Operation Star >> A SIMPLE GUIDE TO THE OPERATIONS INTERFACE Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI