Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/4/2012 4:14:02 AM   
rosseau

Being elected does not guarantee character or respect. I'm embarrassed to say that the political corruption in suburban Cuyahoga County, OH, where we live has filled the jails from Commissioner on down. Funny thing is the ringleader always looked like a crook. He also has the same last name as me, which often requires some explanation

I am confident your Queen has not lined her pockets like the common criminals we call politicians in the U.S. these days. They have forgotten the key to our past blessings - "In God We Trust."

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 31
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/4/2012 5:44:00 PM   
ilovestrategy

I'm really happy for you guys over on the other side of the pond. Not everyone can claim at one time that their country once ruled one quarter of the Earth's landmass and population and on top of that have it turned into a world wide commonwealth.

Brits are awesome.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to rosseau)
Post #: 32
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/4/2012 8:14:45 PM   
ezz

I have slight sunburn. Damned sun behind the clouds all day.
5 hours at the street party.
Her Maj went down very well.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 33
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/4/2012 8:25:31 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

However the vast majority of British people do not want Prince Charles on the throne. He married Diana while having an affair with Camilla which he continued making her life a misery.

I've seen pictures of Camilla... certainly that was punishment enough for one prince?

("Looser" is the opposite of "tighter")

(in reply to Punk Reaper)
Post #: 34
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/4/2012 10:40:25 PM   
Punk Reaper

quote:

ORIGINAL: E

quote:

However the vast majority of British people do not want Prince Charles on the throne. He married Diana while having an affair with Camilla which he continued making her life a misery.

I've seen pictures of Camilla... certainly that was punishment enough for one prince?

Certainly puts his judgement into question

(in reply to E)
Post #: 35
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/4/2012 11:14:22 PM   
danlongman

That is a bull's eye in so many ways at so many levels.
She look like she bin chewed by dawgs. And she was already married.
There were a number of young women who wanted the job....or so I seem to remember.
I guess being a prince is harder than it looks. Anyway I likes Kate.
cheers

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

Post #: 36
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/4/2012 11:18:02 PM   
warspite1

Yeah - second thoughts maybe you are right...

Scrap the monarchy and lets get some elected dudes in here now. After all, elected dudes would never divorce, or pick someone for love and not looks. Everyone elected into office shows great judgement at all times.....

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 37
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 12:30:59 AM   
redcoat

I liked Charlies tribute at the end of the Buck House concert:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18324080

Cheryl looks good too.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 38
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 12:56:51 AM   
wodin

I remember the silver Jubilee and street parties everywhere. Nothing go on really in Liverpool let alone in single streets. This is not indicative of anti monarchy but of the decline of community.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 39
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 1:37:30 AM   
H Gilmer

You definitely could have done a lot worse than The Queen! Cheers!

Her majesty's a pretty nice girl, but she doesn't have a lot to say.....

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 40
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 8:38:24 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: redcoat

Cheryl looks good too.

Warspite1

Yes - nice one. But what was Elton John waffling on about?? 65-years? Longest reigning monarch? Elton - get a grip!!!

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 41
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 9:47:44 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Cheryl looks good too.

Warspite1

Yes - nice one. But what was Elton John waffling on about?? 65-years? Longest reigning monarch? Elton - get a grip!!!

Perhaps he ment alive?

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress. - Captain Eric Moody

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 42
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 9:50:00 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

Cheryl looks good too.

Warspite1

Perhaps he ment alive?
Warspite1

No the point is, she has not been on the throne 65 years (60 years surprisingly!! ) and she is not the longest serving Queen - that was Queen Victoria (64 years I think).

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 43
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 9:54:23 AM   
Orm

I didn't even notice the part about 65 years instead of 60.

I need to re-read everey sentence so I do not miss the obvious.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress. - Captain Eric Moody

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 44
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 10:02:08 AM   
warspite1

Well I just got my bottom handed to me by both the Spanish and the Britons in Rome Total War - so I'm off to spend the last morning of my Jubilee holiday digging up weeds in the front garden

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 45
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 10:10:31 AM   
Orm

quote:

Well I just got my bottom handed to me by both the Spanish and the Britons in Rome Total War - so I'm off to spend the last morning of my Jubilee holiday digging up weeds in the front garden

You played the Gaul? If so it helps need to be aggressive from the start. Now I want to begin Rome Total War again.

Digging up weeds is fun, and relaxing, if the weather is good. That is until the back begins to ache then it is more like torture.

< Message edited by Orm -- 6/5/2012 10:11:09 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 46
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 10:22:32 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

You played the Gaul? If so it helps need to be aggressive from the start. Now I want to begin Rome Total War again.

Digging up weeds is fun, and relaxing, if the weather is good. That is until the back begins to ache then it is more like torture.

Warspite1

No - the Julii - I got attacked from two sides by both in the same turn - rubbish....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 47
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 10:25:34 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

No - the Julii - I got attacked from two sides by both in the same turn - rubbish....

That can hurt but your base is untouched so just reorganize your forces and send out two punitive forces and teach those barbarians a lesson.

Edit: Sigh. Now I must install this game again.

< Message edited by Orm -- 6/5/2012 10:27:11 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 48
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 11:13:04 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

That can hurt but your base is untouched so just reorganize your forces and send out two punitive forces and teach those barbarians a lesson.

Edit: Sigh. Now I must install this game again.
Warspite1

Its such a ****er though - you lose a load of your experienced units + the balistas that take forever to get to the front - that was such newbish play on my part

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 49
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 2:18:17 PM   
ilovestrategy

What a coincidence. I'm in a Rome Total War campaign as the Juili as we speak. I just got ambushed by Gauls in a forest. I won but lost about 3/4 of my army.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 50
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 2:46:23 PM   
vonRocko

Death to all monarchs. Words like "king" and "queen" are repulsive. American fascination with the royal idiots is especially disturbing. Two centuries ago, we would have slit their throats, now we can't get enough of them on the TV!

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 51
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 2:52:05 PM   
warspite1

You don't have to like the monarchy - that of course is your right.

However, it would have been nice - polite even - if you could have kept your views either to yourself - or started your own thread. This thread is, after all, in honour of the life of Queen Elizabeth II.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 52
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 4:34:03 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

Death to all monarchs. Words like "king" and "queen" are repulsive. American fascination with the royal idiots is especially disturbing. Two centuries ago, we would have slit their throats, now we can't get enough of them on the TV!

Irrespective of your views, this is not an appropriate comment, either for this thread nor for the forums in general. Consider your words more carefully.

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 53
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 4:39:19 PM   
danlongman

You ouldn't talk that way about the Bush family would you?

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 54
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 4:51:51 PM   
vonRocko

Tyrants!

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 55
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 8:18:31 PM   
Punk Reaper

Although I wish Britain was a Republic I don't wish any harm to any member of the Royal family, I just wish that they would give the people back their lands and revenues and return to Germany from where they came. Perhaps we could redeploy the guy who puts toothpaste on Prince Charles toothbrush, yep I'm not kidding......

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 56
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 8:31:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Although I wish Britain was a Republic I don't wish any harm to any member of the Royal family, I just wish that they would give the people back their lands and revenues and return to Germany from where they came. Perhaps we could redeploy the guy who puts toothpaste on Prince Charles toothbrush, yep I'm not kidding......
Warspite1

Punk Reaper I respect you views even though I don't agree with your thoughts on the monarchy. However, your comment about going back from where they came? You had a go at Wodin over his Clegg comment - and here you are with this kind of nonsense.

1. BTW, the monarchy costs every person 0.62p per annum - although fair enough, if on principle you do not want unelected rulers then the actual modest cost is of no consequence. However,
2. The Hanoverians came to this country in the 1700's - they were invited in. From the time of the third George (I think it was) subsequent Hanovarians were born here and spoke English. Queen Victoria married a German in the 1800's is that a crime? Where do they "go back to"? You sound like a BNP supporter with rubbish like that....

Edit: Bad spelling and tidy up.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/5/2012 9:06:57 PM >

Post #: 57
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 8:46:41 PM   
Treale

Not all Americans think rocko

Tony

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 58
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 9:08:38 PM   
Punk Reaper

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Punk Reaper I respect you views even though I don't agree with your thoughts on the monarchy. However, your comment about going back from where they came? You had a go at Wodin over his Clegg comment - and here you are with this kind of nonsense.

1. BTW, the monarchy costs ever person 0.62p per annum - but fair enough, if on principle you do not want unelected rulers then the actual cost is of no consequence. However,
2. The Hanoverians came to this country in the 1700's. By the time of the third George (I think it was) subsequent Hanovarians were born here and spoke English. Queen Victoria married a German in the 1800's is that a crime? Where do they "go back to"? You sound like a BNP supporter with rubbish like that....

I apologise for the German comment, out of order and I take your rebuke on the chin. I just think its sad that the need for a good knees up (nearly said a National party but that really did sound BNP like) makes people forget the anger with the Royal family over numerous issues. A good monach like the queen disguises the fact that a hereditary head of state runs the risk of having a corrupt idiot on the throne and no mechanism to remove him.
Prince Andrew has had all sorts of criticism over lining his own pockets using government contacts and although now unlikely at one time he was much closer to being on the throne....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 59
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/5/2012 9:15:58 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

1. BTW, the monarchy costs ever person 0.62p per annum - but fair enough, if on principle you do not want unelected rulers then the actual cost is of no consequence. However,
2. The Hanoverians came to this country in the 1700's. By the time of the third George (I think it was) subsequent Hanovarians were born here and spoke English. Queen Victoria married a German in the 1800's is that a crime? Where do they "go back to"? You sound like a BNP supporter with rubbish like that....

I apologise for the German comment, out of order and I take your rebuke on the chin. I just think its sad that the need for a good knees up (nearly said a National party but that really did sound BNP like) makes people forget the anger with the Royal family over numerous issues. A good monach like the queen disguises the fact that a hereditary head of state runs the risk of having a corrupt idiot on the throne and no mechanism to remove him.
Prince Andrew has had all sorts of criticism over lining his own pockets using government contacts and although now unlikely at one time he was much closer to being on the throne....

Warspite1

I accept your point about the fear of no mechanism to remove a corrupt monarch. In practice though I think in this day and age it would be simpler than you imagine.

Albeit for different reasons, we have "previous" for getting rid of monarchs we "didn't like" Charles I (a bit extreme I know, but then Oliver and son didn't fare too well did they?), James II (he was too catholic in his sympathies!) and after Anne left this mortal coil sans issue, they had to call in George I from Hanover as the 50+ close relatives to Queen Anne were all too catholic!!

In the modern, 24-hour media hungry age, I think there would be much less sympathy for someone feathering his own nest and not putting in the hours.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI