Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/2/2012 8:30:59 AM   
warspite1

For those that didn't know, this weekend marks the 60th anniversary of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth becoming Queen. It is only the UK's second Diamond Jubilee (Queen Victoria was the first) .

So raise your glasses to this wonderful lady who has served her country, her commonwealth so devotedly over the years - both before and since - becoming Queen.

Three cheers your majesty

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

Post #: 1
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/2/2012 8:45:10 AM   
Dixie

Cheers boss!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/2/2012 12:03:46 PM   
shunwick

Yes indeed. God bless Her Majesty.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 3
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/2/2012 2:32:43 PM   
Punk Reaper

She may be a nice lady but a hereditary monarchy in this day and age... bring on the republic!

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 4
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/2/2012 3:16:32 PM   
Yogi the Great

(in reply to Punk Reaper)
Post #: 5
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/2/2012 3:37:52 PM   
Orm

Three days of celebrations. You do know how to throw a jubilee party over there.

Congratulations and celebrations.

And without shame I use the celebrations of another Queen for this occasion.

< Message edited by Orm -- 6/2/2012 3:39:14 PM >

"It would seem that you have no useful skill or talent whatsoever," he said.
"Have you thought of going into teaching?"

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 6
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/2/2012 3:44:59 PM   
warspite1

It's actually four days - Saturday - Tuesday

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 7
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/2/2012 3:47:41 PM   
Josh

I say hurray, we love the queen.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 8
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/2/2012 7:31:11 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Have a great jubilee....and "God Save the Queen".

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 9
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/2/2012 9:07:03 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

She may be a nice lady but a hereditary monarchy in this day and age... bring on the republic!

Punk Reaper,

Quite seriously, would you really prefer a politician as Head of State? Neil Kinnock or Margret Thatcher?

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

Post #: 10
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/2/2012 10:52:42 PM   
Punk Reaper

The problem is that the Queen has been an excellent monach on the throne for 60 years. However the vast majority of British people do not want Prince Charles on the throne. He married Diana while having an affair with Camilla which he continued making her life a misery. He interferes with the decisions of the democratic government who have changed the law to prevent his letters to government ministers to be published under freedom of information. He circumvents the law in the country by using his contacts to change decisions made by government bodies etc... As for Prince Andrew his brother, he represents our government as a business representative while causing embarrassment and lining his pockets from foreign business men. Then there is Prince Harry who wears Nazi costumes to parties and with his brother William who takes a military helicopter to a stag party etc..
The family is awful but will continue to cost the country millions and rule with privileges and there is nothing the British citizens can do about it.
Yes I would prefer to have an elected politician who isn't above the law and can be voted out of office.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 11
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/2/2012 11:46:24 PM   
Empire101

Huzzah to Her Majesty.

God Save The Queen!

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

Post #: 12
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/3/2012 2:02:30 AM   
wodin

I'm happy to have our monarchy, it's living history. keep them I say, stripping our heritage just because people don't like they have money and lots of stuff (which is what we are all supposed to aspire to isn't it having lots of stuff!!. I really don't care, she brings in alot of tourism and to be honest I'd rather the monarchy have more of a say than that n0bhead D Cameron and his a@@e licker of a fag Cleghead.

More Stuff I say and God Save the Queen (from having to much stuff).

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 13
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/3/2012 3:24:32 AM   
rogo727

I hope she is not related to the evil king tyrent king George III? In any case cheers!

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 14
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/3/2012 5:43:58 AM   
warspite1

Well yes she is related to George III but I've no idea what you'd call the linkage.

Queen Elizabeth's Great, Great Grandmother was Queen Victoria. Victoria's father was Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn, the fourth son George III.

I'll leave you to work that out

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 15
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/3/2012 7:56:51 AM   
Punk Reaper

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I'm happy to have our monarchy, it's living history. keep them I say, stripping our heritage just because people don't like they have money and lots of stuff (which is what we are all supposed to aspire to isn't it having lots of stuff!!. I really don't care, she brings in alot of tourism and to be honest I'd rather the monarchy have more of a say than that n0bhead D Cameron and his a@@e licker of a fag Cleghead.

More Stuff I say and God Save the Queen (from having to much stuff).

It's not about the money they have but they definitely cant be aspired to. You have to be born into their world of privelege. No matter how hard you work you'll never own Cornwall like Prince Charles or Windsor Castle like the Queen. Until recently the Queen didn't even have to pay any tax. As for the homophobic comment about Nick Clegg.... Mmm

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 16
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/3/2012 2:55:27 PM   
martok

God save the Queen!

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Post #: 17
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/3/2012 2:58:28 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

The problem is that the Queen has been an excellent monach on the throne for 60 years. However the vast majority of British people do not want Prince Charles on the throne.

There's nothing whatsoever to support your claim that "the vast majority of British people do not want Prince Charles on the throne". Actually a simple majority do, the first time in a decade more have wanted that than him to stand aside in favour of William. LINK LINK

I'm with shunwick on the hereditary monarch thing - it suddenly seems a much better idea as soon as you consider the recent likely candidates for any elected replacement. There are also significant advantages to having a non-political head of state both constitutionally and, particularly, diplomatically.

As to the family themselves, it's the usual mix of good things and dumb things that most people do albeit on a rather grander scale. Sure, Harry was dressed a a pretend-Nazi at a costume party. He was also on a front-line tour in Afghanistan until some Aussie press story announced he was there. The latter is a rather more solid judge of character IMHO. Likewise with his uncle, who served in a little flap in the South Atlantic you may have heard of. So, Chuck and Di's marriage didn't work. That's the way it so often is whether Royal, elected politician or ordinary pleb. I won't go into stats about how many people are miserable in their marriage and have affairs at some point; it's hardly necessary.

I find the suggestion that life of a Royal might actually be preferable to one of adequate material comfort, very modest career success and complete anonymity, such as mine, absolutely bizarre. You would have to be out of your mind IMHO, to choose that if you had a choice. Choice is the big problem, born into that family you are denied so many that the rest of us take for granted. I value that a lot more than a big house or three and lobster on tap. And what use is the extra pulling power when you can't have a date without swarms of paparazzi for company?

< Message edited by Hertston -- 6/3/2012 3:04:05 PM >

Post #: 18
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/3/2012 5:16:31 PM   
redcoat

A politico as head of state? No thanks. The monarchy is the ultimate check and balance on any politician who would contemplate the usurpation of Parliament. It is above party politics and provides a figurehead that brings people together when politicians pursue their own narrow interests and divide the people. Moreover, it may be an ancient institution, but the monarchy has long been a progressive influence for tolerance and change in the Country. In short, I respect and trust the little old lady far more than the likes of Cameroon, Cleggers or Millicent. The Jubilee is a fitting – and very enjoyable – tribute to the Queen’s 60+ years of Public Service.

I also like having a monarch as head of the Armed Forces. The senior Royals are the only people in the UK that have to do compulsory military service. Prince Harry was a young and foolish twat when he dressed up as a Nazi, but since then he has – by all accounts – grown up to become a fine soldier. If he had not been (un)fortunate enough to be born into the goldfish bowl that is the Palace he may have found his calling in the Army. I think it is great that the head of the Armed Forces is someone that has served in the forces and genuinely understands the sacrifices that servicemen and women make for the Country.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 19
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/3/2012 5:18:40 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: redcoat

A politico as head of state? No thanks. The monarchy is the ultimate check and balance on any politician who would contemplate the usurpation of Parliament. It is above party politics and provides a figurehead that brings people together when politicians pursue their own narrow interests and divide the people. Moreover, it may be an ancient institution, but the monarchy has long been a progressive influence for tolerance and change in the Country. In short, I respect and trust the little old lady far more than the likes of Cameroon, Cleggers or Millicent. The Jubilee is a fitting – and very enjoyable – tribute to the Queen’s 60+ years of Public Service.

I also like having a monarch as head of the Armed Forces. The senior Royals are the only people in the UK that have to do compulsory military service. Prince Harry was a young and foolish twat when he dressed up as a Nazi, but since then he has – by all accounts – grown up to become a fine soldier. If he had not been (un)fortunate enough to be born into the goldfish bowl that is the Palace he may have found his calling in the Army. I think it is great that the head of the Armed Forces is someone that has served in the forces and genuinely understands the sacrifices that servicemen and women make for the Country.

Warspite1

Well said Mr R

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 20
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/3/2012 7:27:43 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: redcoat

Prince Harry was a young and foolish twat ....

I thought that was a compulsory qualification for Sandhurst entry? That's all you have left after you take out those who joined the RAF or the Navy .

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 21
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/3/2012 7:57:21 PM   
OldSarge

Congratulations to Queen Elizabeth II on this her diamond jubilee!

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 22
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/3/2012 9:09:29 PM   
USS America

God Save the Queen!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 23
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/3/2012 9:26:27 PM   
thegreatwent

John Bull should be proud today.

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 24
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/3/2012 9:33:41 PM   
danlongman

Since I reside in Canada She is my Queen and head of state.
God Save the Queen! She never did me no harm and apparently is a pretty nice girl.
I would rather be ruled (on paper anyway since she don't rule much) by somebody who was born
to it rather than by some person who worked their way to the top of the heap of scum and villainy which
is politics. At least their foolishness can be written off to blue-blood inbreeding and overwhelming priviledge
rather than being skilled at the most fithly and reprehensible of Mixed Martial Arts.
Do you know that in the "democratic" nations most politicians start off as LAWYERS??? They train in the shark pool!
Whomever will become King of England &c had no choice in the matter and may abdicate in favour of another.
Even if he were an ugly, evil tyrant like George III was portrayed in the elementary schoolbooks of my youth,
he would have been born that way rather than worked his way consciously into it.
cheers

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 25
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/3/2012 10:02:08 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: danlongman

Since I reside in Canada She is my Queen and head of state.
God Save the Queen! She never did me no harm and apparently is a pretty nice girl.
I would rather be ruled (on paper anyway since she don't rule much) by somebody who was born
to it rather than by some person who worked their way to the top of the heap of scum and villainy which
is politics. At least their foolishness can be written off to blue-blood inbreeding and overwhelming priviledge
rather than being skilled at the most fithly and reprehensible of Mixed Martial Arts.
Do you know that in the "democratic" nations most politicians start off as LAWYERS??? They train in the shark pool!
Whomever will become King of England &c had no choice in the matter and may abdicate in favour of another.
Even if he were an ugly, evil tyrant like George III was portrayed in the elementary schoolbooks of my youth,
he would have been born that way rather than worked his way consciously into it.
cheers
Warspite1

I think her days of being a girl are long since over - but, yes she is a mighty fine lady . She may have been born into priviledge but she is a human being and what she has achieved has come from strength of character within - not automatically or easily, as is suggested, just because of her birthright. The job of being king (which he was not born to be) prematurely killed her father (and she had to pick up the pieces) she did her bit during WWII, and she has done her duty to the utmost ever since for the good of her country and the Commonwealth.

Edit: appalling English

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/3/2012 10:10:21 PM >

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 26
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/3/2012 10:56:25 PM   
Orm

quote:

I didn't think you English could ever be appalling. Seems I was mistaken.

< Message edited by Orm -- 6/4/2012 7:13:36 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 27
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/3/2012 10:57:41 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

I didn't think you English could ever be appaling. Seems I was mistaken.
Warspite1

And now you have the top 6

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 28
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/3/2012 11:07:46 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

I didn't think you English could ever be appaling. Seems I was mistaken.
Warspite1

And now you have the top 6

Yea. But you have started all 6 threads.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 29
RE: Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend - 6/4/2012 2:54:45 AM   
Joe 98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston
......a non-political head of state both constitutionally and particularly, diplomatically.

When for example, the US president visits Australia or Canada, the Queen is never here to welcome him.

We need our own head. We would never accept an unelected head.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Weekend Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI