Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ki-44 armament

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Ki-44 armament Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ki-44 armament - 6/2/2012 2:40:21 AM   
fodder

Trying to up gun the KI-44 (TOJO) to be more in line with real life. As far as I can find out the armament of the origanal KI-44 is correct. After that, well lets say there are some discrepances.

Most sources both on and off line say that the basic armament for the Ki-44II series was.
Two 12.7mm machine guns in wings and two 12.7mm machine guns in fuselage. There were a few and I repeat very few produced with 7.7mm machine guns in the fuselage. (NOT enough to be in game)

Cannons were added with the KI-44III series. These were mostly 20mm HO-5s. First they had two 20mm HO5s in the wings and two 12.7mm machine guns in fuselage. Then it was all 20mm in both wings and fuselage.

Few and I repeat very,very few were armed with 40mm HO-301s in the wings and two 12.7mm machine guns in fuselage. (again NOT enough to be in game)

Final armament for the KI-44III was two 20mm HO5s in the fuselage and two 37mm HO-203s in the wings.

(Do not beleave enough of these were built to be place in gmae also)

Anyway I've up guned the aircraft in my mod.

The KI-44IIa has become the KI-44II and has four 12.7mm machine guns.

The KI-44IIb has become the KI-44III and has two 12.7mm machine guns and two 20mm cannons.

The KI-44IIc has become the KI-44IIIb and has four 20mm cannons.

I think i did all this correctly, but when I check the stats for the aircraft I see two stats for the guns, the new stats and the old gun stats below them. Anyone know how I can remove the old gun stats?

PS. I did a search to see if any one else found the armament for the KI-44 to be a little off. To my surprise I found none. I would think some of the JFBs out there would have already been all over this one. OR have I missed that thread?

Edit to try and add pic.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fodder -- 6/2/2012 3:00:04 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: Ki-44 armament - 6/2/2012 5:35:51 AM   
fodder

I forgot to give an armor rate of 1 to the KI-44II. Yes, all the KI-44s should have armor.

While I was doing that I figured out why I still had the old gun stats showing up. DUH!

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 2
RE: Ki-44 armament - 6/2/2012 5:51:56 AM   
PaxMondo

The fundamental issue you are facing is that armament was changed in the field. This was common on all sides, but the IJA forces seemed to do it more* than others. Both the Tojo and Oscar armaments were "adjusted" for pilot preference and for what was available in terms of supply (meaning there is no point in having 12.7mm guns mounted if the armorers has no 12.7mm ammo). I think the devs did a pretty good job of picking middle ground in terms of all of the possibilities.

*Edit: I thought about this a bit and maybe the Russians did more. Anyway, it was common practice in a lot of forces.

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 6/2/2012 5:53:33 AM >

Pax

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 3
RE: Ki-44 armament - 6/2/2012 6:15:51 AM   
treespider

-

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by treespider -- 6/2/2012 6:17:01 AM >

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 4
RE: Ki-44 armament - 6/2/2012 9:54:06 AM   
barkman44

I found out something I never knew from ospreys aircraft of the aces#85 the Ki-43.
It seems the 12.7mm Ho-103 was actually classified as a cannon since it had an explosive charge in it.
They had problems with premature detonations as the projeectile left the muzzle and they had to add 5mm armor under the muzzles.Apparently they lost a few ac to engine damage from the premature detonations!

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 5
RE: Ki-44 armament - 6/2/2012 10:33:16 PM   
Commander Stormwolf

Tojo should have had the 4xHo-3 installed and fuel removed to make it lighter and faster

Pump them out.. and put them above Rabaul to defend against 4E

Attachment (1)

"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf

(in reply to barkman44)
Post #: 6
RE: Ki-44 armament - 6/2/2012 10:34:39 PM   
Commander Stormwolf

sorry these screens are from a mod i am making with a new production system,

so it doesn't show the engine type or Mvr bands (both have been abolished)

(in reply to Commander Stormwolf)
Post #: 7
RE: Ki-44 armament - 6/2/2012 10:39:06 PM   
Commander Stormwolf

then there is THIS mod, which goes even more specific and includes the engine SUB-types

editor is fun

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Commander Stormwolf)
Post #: 8
RE: Ki-44 armament - 6/4/2012 11:08:53 AM   
fodder

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

-

Thanks treespider, I haven't seen this before. My best source so far has been "Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War" by R. J. Francillon, Naval Inst. Press, ISBN 0-87021-313-X. It does not break down the production numbers as well as this sheet of yours does.

Thanks again.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Ki-44 armament Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI