Volksturm?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Naughteous Maximus

Volksturm?

Post by Naughteous Maximus »

How come there are no Volksturm militia units in this game as support units? There should be a trigger that as soon as the Russians cross into Germany, the Volksturm are activated. Is this possible?

Attachments
Volksturm.jpg
Volksturm.jpg (23.35 KiB) Viewed 285 times
TulliusDetritus

RE: Volksturm?

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Like the activation of Kamikazes in WitP AE, eh? [:D] You are indeed 100% correct.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Farfarer61

Post by Farfarer61 »

He gets a Panzerschreck - elite Volksturm I guess ( now someone offended will post about Panzershreck distribution as that was their Master's thesis :)
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

Ha - I guess we need to see a few games get that far so we can start analyzing it with the same passion as '41. I would agree, if the Volksturm makes no appearance that seems like an oversight. Support units could be a good fix, since we don't want to expand the loathe brigades...
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

I do not have WITE yet. Do you get to loot and pillage Germany when you get there?
Can you get some subs in the Baltic to torpedo refugee ships? It was arguably the Baltic Fleet's greatest triumph.
Every now and then it rattles the hell out of me when I remember some of these things in games took place
only a few years before I was born. When I was a kid I knew a family that had come from East Prussia to Canada.
I am sorta glad I did not know what that meant then. Is it not wonderful that our electronic carnage is gone with
the flip of a switch? Now..back to pretending to break things and hurt people.
cheers
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

The suffering ( pillage and destruction then the de population ) of East Prussia is perhaps the most terrible single event of 20th C in terms of its ferocity and affect on the civlilian population. There is a new book about the post war atrocities and deportations just come out but I cannot remember the title.

As for the VS , every town had them and they killed a lot of Russian armour. They could be added to say German units defending town and city hexes?? Yes by most accounts they had tons of AT weapons.
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

ORIGINAL: cavalry

The suffering ( pillage and destruction then the de population ) of East Prussia is perhaps the most terrible single event of 20th C in terms of its ferocity and affect on the civlilian population.

Eh...so the Germans invading every country within reach and shooting and exterminating the populaton of large tracts of Eastern Europe pales in comparison? Not that two wrongs make a wrong, and there is no excuse for atrocities from any side, but the Germans did reap the whirlwind they had sown themselves.
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
Naughteous Maximus

Your right there! The Germans got exactly what they deserved yet I will still play them in wargames because their the underdog later in the war.
Farfarer61

Post by Farfarer61 »

Just to bring things back on track...

I was watching a documenetary on Red Army tank riders, created ( I think ) not so much like Pz Gren, but specifically to counter the Panzerfaust threat. While motivated to explain their importance, these ageing soldiers were clear that the ubiqitous shaped charged weapon, with a 30 m range, forced some changes.
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

While it is true that two wrongs do not make a right, three do.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

Notwithstanding the above (and I agree with Tarhunnas, the Germans absolutely got what was coming to them), the book "Battleground Prussia" by Prit Buttar is a great read on the subject; really puts what to the west is a forgotten theater and an unknown amount of appalling suffering to light. The case of the Wilhelm Gustoff is particularly interesting - having access to Russian TV this is still highlighted as a great success in Russia.
RedBunny

Post by RedBunny »

ORIGINAL: Farfarer

Just to bring things back on track...

I was watching a documenetary on Red Army tank riders, created ( I think ) not so much like Pz Gren, but specifically to counter the Panzerfaust threat. While motivated to explain their importance, these ageing soldiers were clear that the ubiqitous shaped charged weapon, with a 30 m range, forced some changes.

I worked with an older gentleman who saw the cover of a WW2 book I was reading. Turns out he with about 10 in 1945 and was 'enlisted' in the army. He was equiped with one Panzerfaust and was ordered (with several other 'soldiers') to guard a road crossing from some approaching Americans. Well, whoever issued the order left and and the group surrendered at the first site of American tanks. Before this he also remembers making his way eastward with his mother and a bunch of other refugees and being buzzed frequently (and strafed rarely) by American planes.

Sure glad I didn't live in those times.
Naughteous Maximus

I'm wondering how this request about the Volksturm ended up as a discussion over the Panzerschreck and commited atrocities? [&:]

Attachments
1945.jpg
1945.jpg (131.51 KiB) Viewed 285 times
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

The point for me is that although the Germans carried out many bad acts for sure and they were held to account and punished. Fair enough.

The Russians committed as many ( before during and after the war ) but have you ever heard of any Russian commanders or anyone for that matter tried at the end of the war?
notenome

Post by notenome »

Yes but the Russians didn't conduct ethnic cleansing in East Prussia, which the Germans did all occupied nations of the Eastern Front.
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

ORIGINAL: notenome

Yes but the Russians didn't conduct ethnic cleansing in East Prussia, which the Germans did all occupied nations of the Eastern Front.
You're right. The Russian ethnic cleasing was in Ukraine.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Lot of highly selective outrage going on in this topic...

WitE Alpha Tester
RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

Selective?

Some of the worst atrocities committed in our modern time was conducted by Nazi Germany and the USSR.

Both are guilty of genocide, mass murder, the lose of personal freedoms and dignity of individuals, barbarism, propaganda, neither had any respect for human life.

Both systems imposed ideologies on their own populations and those same ideologies were used to justify the actions taken against people and populations that came under their direct control.

It is true that Poland was conquered in 1939 and did not throw off the yoke of oppression until 1989.
Naughteous Maximus

[:@]I can't believe my thread was hijacked! [:@] I do not care about the atrocities committed by both sides. Atrocities is the norm in a war, it always happens given time. Its been happening for thousands of years and will continue to happen in the future regardless on humanities evolution. Can I get some real feedback from the makers of this game in regards to the Volksturm? Is it possible to include the Volksturm in the game and implement a trigger for their activation?
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Agree that a few people are way off topic in this thread. Not sure how hard it would be to add Volksturm to the WitE, but if it is not practical then it would be worth considering for WitE 2.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”