Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

City production

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> City production Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
City production - 5/27/2012 10:22:13 PM   
gravyface_

I've looked through the manual and searched online, but what determines whether or not a city can build combat units? Secondly, I have 100% "healthy" cities (green bar), assigned to a HQ, but they only max out at 8 PP production; supply is not an available option, nor are combat units. What determines how much a city can produce of any given production item (not including city health)?
Post #: 1
RE: City production - 5/28/2012 5:44:00 AM   
Jeffrey H.

Sounds like a scenario ? Or captured cities that are not your own people group in a random game ?

"Games lubricate the body and the mind" Ben Franklin.

(in reply to gravyface_)
Post #: 2
RE: City production - 5/28/2012 9:08:48 AM   
Josh

I think you're playing random games? Because then most cities you capture can only produce PP's, or synthetic oil and ore, no units and supply. I said "most" cities, because some cities you take *can* produce the better stuff. As to what determines it...? No clue  What I do know is that when every city you take can produce Inf and the like, playing ATG becomes somewhat like a snowball. The more you take you the more unstoppable you become. So with AT (the predecessor) you became all too powerful once you got say 1/3 of the producing towns, maybe 1/2. Ten heavy tanks per turn? No problem. So with this new rule, only your  towns you start with, and only a few of those you capture, can produce something usefull. Maybe even better the size of your army gets limited because your starting towns can only produce so much supply.
And ofcourse having the captured towns produce PP's ain't bad either because your core force gets the best equipment there is.

So in short; no clue as to what determines whether or not a city can produce Inf and tanks, but it does improve gameplay. 

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 3
RE: City production - 5/28/2012 12:57:42 PM   
gravyface_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

I think you're playing random games? Because then most cities you capture can only produce PP's, or synthetic oil and ore, no units and supply. I said "most" cities, because some cities you take *can* produce the better stuff. As to what determines it...? No clue  What I do know is that when every city you take can produce Inf and the like, playing ATG becomes somewhat like a snowball. The more you take you the more unstoppable you become. So with AT (the predecessor) you became all too powerful once you got say 1/3 of the producing towns, maybe 1/2. Ten heavy tanks per turn? No problem. So with this new rule, only your  towns you start with, and only a few of those you capture, can produce something usefull. Maybe even better the size of your army gets limited because your starting towns can only produce so much supply.
And ofcourse having the captured towns produce PP's ain't bad either because your core force gets the best equipment there is.

So in short; no clue as to what determines whether or not a city can produce Inf and tanks, but it does improve gameplay. 

Yes, playing a Random game and they are captured cities and I agree, that could really get ugly (and probably laggy) with massive amounts of units.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 4
RE: City production - 5/28/2012 12:59:58 PM   
gravyface_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Sounds like a scenario ? Or captured cities that are not your own people group in a random game ?

Yup, exactly. Would be nice to know if/why a city can or cannot produce combat units though. Doesn't seem like a traditional "random" type event in these kinds of games; like it should be tied to some tangibles like city size, supply lines, etc.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 5
RE: City production - 5/28/2012 5:47:14 PM   
Jeffrey H.

It's a little quirky. There really is a problem in these games with initial placement, the best initial placement wins usually. These games tend to quickly boil down to a production point shoving match. Not a lot of finesse, except against the AI where you can suprise it.

(in reply to gravyface_)
Post #: 6
RE: City production - 5/28/2012 8:30:15 PM   
gravyface_

So for a good AI challenge, stay away from random scenarios?

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 7
RE: City production - 5/29/2012 9:42:24 AM   
Josh

Mmm AI, other than say TOAW and WitE, where the AI has a "fixed" map, AI's in random games usually have a hard time. Although I've read some players find it difficult to defeat the standard AI, let alone AI+. I find it sometimes challenging to beat AI+, I don't do AI++ anymore. I've had random games against AI++ where I had to battle each and every hex filled with dozens of armoured cars, hundreds of Inf, just too many troops for the AI and clearly not much fun.
I tend to play on large random maps, multiple AI's where some are AI+. Good fun to me. Ofcourse I'd pay double the price ATG costs if the AI was capable of doing a massive amphibious assault, or make a large carrierfleet *with* planes, and so on. The more complex a game becomes the harder it gets for the AI.

(in reply to gravyface_)
Post #: 8
RE: City production - 5/29/2012 8:12:22 PM   
Jeffrey H.

The challenge leve can be calibrated by selecting the '+' or '-' AI settings, but all that does is adjust the production levels. The AI can spam the crap out of you with checkenheaded units at the high PP's and thats about all it does and Josh mentioned. It can be challenging in a grinding sort of way.

I'd like to see the AI try counter moves and technologies that fit it's strategic situation and overall strength and weaknesses and adjust as it goes along. That doesn't really happen.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 9
RE: City production - 5/29/2012 9:07:09 PM   
gravyface_

quote:

The challenge leve can be calibrated by selecting the '+' or '-' AI settings, but all that does is adjust the production levels. The AI can spam the crap out of you with checkenheaded units at the high PP's and thats about all it does and Josh mentioned. It can be challenging in a grinding sort of way.

I'd like to see the AI try counter moves and technologies that fit it's strategic situation and overall strength and weaknesses and adjust as it goes along. That doesn't really happen.

Are the scenarios "better" in the way the AI plays or no difference generally?

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 10
RE: City production - 5/30/2012 7:24:54 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Not really, with production out the AI is a bit better to play against but anything with production is more or less the same.

(in reply to gravyface_)
Post #: 11
RE: City production - 5/30/2012 9:39:50 PM   
Josh

It's a bit odd really, because I'm quite certain the AI made amphibious invasions in earlier versions of AT (not ATG). I quite vividly remember random games where I had to repulse lots and lots of amphibious invasions. Granted the forces were a bit strange, mainly Inf and some armour, but they kept on coming. Vic has been quite busy with the new instalment of the Decisive Campaigns series, but I'm certain that after that he'll spend some time on the ATG engine once more. Add a few things here and there, maybe a small graphic update, and most important and the most difficult too, a better and improved AI.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 12
RE: City production - 5/31/2012 3:53:12 AM   
Jeffrey H.

IIRC it used to invade the same place every time, and often had massive fleets of 100 cargo ships with a single infantry unit, (not each, just one total). Stuff like that.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 13
RE: City production - 6/27/2012 2:21:08 AM   
jreid

quote:

ORIGINAL: gravyface_

quote:

Yup, exactly. Would be nice to know if/why a city can or cannot produce combat units though. Doesn't seem like a traditional "random" type event in these kinds of games; like it should be tied to some tangibles like city size, supply lines, etc.

I pretty sure that if a captured city contains your people, you can produce everything (combat units, supply, etc.). If the captured city does not contain your people, you can only product 8 PP or some small amounts of sythetic ore or oil.

(in reply to gravyface_)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> City production Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI