Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New to game and finding bad bugs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> New to game and finding bad bugs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New to game and finding bad bugs - 5/27/2012 4:14:02 PM   
Lecivius

I just purchased the series. Updated them to the latest. So far I have found Constructor ships that just stop building, and others that run out to places that are not earmarked for construction to try to build in monster infected nebulae. Space Liners that do nothing, with multiple colonies and 2 resorts that I did manage to get built. I looked in the manual to see what might be wrong, posted on the main forums. Anyone have an ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: New to game and finding bad bugs - 5/27/2012 6:48:04 PM   
Bebop Cola

Some questions:
  • Are your constructors set to manual control or automatic?
  • When you say they stop building, do you mean they stop making progress on an existing job or stop initiating new jobs?
  • What are you expecting to happen with your space liners and the resort bases?

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 2
RE: New to game and finding bad bugs - 5/27/2012 9:29:46 PM   
Lecivius

*Automatic
*They initialize, for example, a mine station. The mine station has no structure, and 32 units left to complete. And then they both sit there. I set a test game on 4x speed and let it run for an hour real time. One hour later, the constructer is still showing it constructing, and the station still has 32 units left to complete.
*Liners should be moving people. I have 4 colonies in my test game, and 2 resorts. They also are on Auto. One hour later, they are still sitting at the homeworld. I would expect them to have done something, or gone somewhere.

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 3
RE: New to game and finding bad bugs - 5/27/2012 11:18:33 PM   
Bebop Cola

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius
*Automatic

Construction ships set to automatic will muddle about building mines presumably wherever there is a supply your empire is in particular need of. It certainly seems less than optimal that they attempt to build in unsafe areas, but your alternatives are to take the Constructors off automatic, clear out those areas they are trying to build in, or maybe arm your constructors and turn off their evade priority when faced with opposition.

quote:

*They initialize, for example, a mine station. The mine station has no structure, and 32 units left to complete. And then they both sit there. I set a test game on 4x speed and let it run for an hour real time. One hour later, the constructer is still showing it constructing, and the station still has 32 units left to complete.

They're most likely running out of raw resources to construct the necessary parts. Should be that freighters stop by periodically to deliver the needed resources, but this seems spotty at best. I've seen freighters stop by very occasionally, but it seems like the priority for those deliveries isn't as high as the other tasks private sector traders have on their to-do lists. While I can certainly understand private sector freighters being busy lining their own pockets, I do consider this lack of priority something of a bug.

Your options are to re-design the constructor with larger cargo bays so they will pick up sufficient resources when they start the job(my preferred solution), or stop the job and queue them to "repair" it. This will prompt them to go and pick up the missing resources.

quote:

*Liners should be moving people. I have 4 colonies in my test game, and 2 resorts. They also are on Auto. One hour later, they are still sitting at the homeworld. I would expect them to have done something, or gone somewhere.

This one is a bit more subjective, I think. resort bases tend to get visitors from nearby wealthy colonies commensurate with the scenery bonus of the object they're built around. It could be that the resorts are not close enough, the colonies are not large and wealthy enough, or the scenery is not interesting enough. Are you building the resorts around an object with a scenery bonus?

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4
RE: New to game and finding bad bugs - 5/28/2012 1:59:55 AM   
Lecivius

So, constructors on auto are a waste of time? I'll try it, but it's definitly severly bugged then. As for the resorts, the bonus is 49% & 68%. Not sure what to do there.

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 5
RE: New to game and finding bad bugs - 5/28/2012 5:39:21 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

Check your expansion planner. Look at your strategic resources to see if there are any that you have no sources for or those which you have low stocks and high demand. That should give you an indication as to what your construction ships are waiting on. You can check your construction ship cargo as well (stock is what it has, reserved is what it's waiting for freighter deliveries of) if you need to narrow down your search.

Depending on your race and luck of the draw in your galaxy generation, strategic resource bottlenecks vary. But the usual culprits I've seen are: chromium, carbon fiber and polymer.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 6
RE: New to game and finding bad bugs - 5/29/2012 2:24:08 PM   
solops

quote:

I just purchased the series. Updated them to the latest. So far I have found Constructor ships that just stop building, and others that run out to places that are not earmarked for construction to try to build in monster infected nebulae. Space Liners that do nothing, with multiple colonies and 2 resorts that I did manage to get built. I looked in the manual to see what might be wrong, posted on the main forums. Anyone have an ideas?

All of these could be normal behavior. Constructors stop building when they run out of materials. They will auto-construct in dangerous places if those are the "best" places. Either send in the navy and clean out the priates/monsters or manually re-route the ships. Liners transport people on demand, which is a function of how many people you have and where they are. If yours are not moving, conditions must not be right. None of these things has ever been a particular problem for me. All are indicators of Imperial management problems that a growing empire often runs into.

< Message edited by solops -- 5/29/2012 2:26:09 PM >

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it. - Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> New to game and finding bad bugs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI