Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

LOS and multi-level buildings

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> LOS and multi-level buildings Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
LOS and multi-level buildings - 5/27/2012 11:47:10 AM   
kbrow06

Hoping for some input regarding how to target infantry in multi level buildings.

Normally no issues, but as soon as a unit gets stuck up on top of a church steeple, (always seems to be a steeple, but this does apply to any multi level) it seems like they become invisble and can not be targetted by either direct or indirect fire. Which is strange as often there are tracers coming from the 2nd level and it is pretty obvious where the fire comes from.

But, ok, can understand that direct fire against concealed infantry should be limited, hard to spot ect. But a steeple in the middle of an open, flat plain is a pretty obvious target - so why is it that most of my units can not even indirect fire at it?

In those cases where they can indirect target the buidling, they only appear to target the ground level, never suppressing or hitting the unit on the level above.

But, the reverse does not seem true for the AI, who - once the have ID'ed my 2nd level unit, is able to target and suppress as I would expect.

Would be happy to tell you what version I am running, but that seems a bit tricky to find.
Thanks for any advise or input.
Post #: 1
RE: LOS and multi-level buildings - 5/27/2012 2:21:26 PM   
junk2drive

Troops should be able to direct fire above ground. AFVs don't seem to be able to unless they have LOS to the enemy unit.

Version number is on the side of the turret on the tank in the main screen.

< Message edited by junk2drive -- 5/27/2012 2:22:25 PM >

(in reply to kbrow06)
Post #: 2
RE: LOS and multi-level buildings - 5/27/2012 2:58:41 PM   
kbrow06

Hi - Thanks for the reply!

Interesting - kind of limits the approach of blowing out steeples and high points with AFV's. Hope this is addressed in future updates.

Regarding version - the tank states 329, and I have upgraded to Beta 329d - confirmed install. So this seems well. Thanks for the tip - nicely placed.

Also, now when I check for new Updates from the PCO start up screen it states one is available, but will not download - says error on FTP server. Is this becuase of the Beta or is there an actual update out there?

Thanks again - excellent game!

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 3
RE: LOS and multi-level buildings - 5/27/2012 3:35:25 PM   
junk2drive

If you have already installed the 329d beta, you have the most current version. These beta updates for Matrix games seem to confuse the auto update feature. The official version is supposed to be released soon but Matrix seems busy with new releases at the moment and staff shortages.

(in reply to kbrow06)
Post #: 4
RE: LOS and multi-level buildings - 5/27/2012 3:39:14 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: kbrow06

Hi - Thanks for the reply!

Interesting - kind of limits the approach of blowing out steeples and high points with AFV's. Hope this is addressed in future updates.

Not as bad as it seems since you can't 'take out' any terrain the game at the moment. You can area fire the steeples as much as you like.

quote:

Thanks again - excellent game!

Thank you. For playing and leaving comments. We appreciate all the gamer input that we can get.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to kbrow06)
Post #: 5
RE: LOS and multi-level buildings - 5/27/2012 3:43:39 PM   
junk2drive

I have seen concerns (complaints? discussions?) at the CMBN forum about tanks firing overhead at troops on upper floors. Sometimes with software, giving "this" gets you "that", and you have to weigh the benefit against any downsides. I would like to be able to area fire my tank gun at an upper floor where I know there is an enemy but can't see him because he was suppressed. I would also like the area fire to chase the fleas off the dog.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 6
RE: LOS and multi-level buildings - 5/27/2012 5:19:28 PM   
Mobius

If your units can't see the enemy then they would have to use area fire.
To area fire a unit in a building place your area fire target on the ground near the foot of the building so the area box is over the ground location of the target. If using small arms probably the best you can do is to intermittently suppress the hidden unit. That may gain you time to move some of your units closer in order to get a direct shot on the enemy.

To target enemy units in building when you can see them target their 'coin' rather than trying to target the infantry models as often they are spread around at different locations in the building.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> LOS and multi-level buildings Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI